Mason Plumlee 3/25

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Re: Mason Plumlee 3/25 

Post#141 » by Phobo_Phile » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 am

Read on Twitter

Absolutely disgusting. Two thumbs down. What a goddamn joke of a franchise we are.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,667

Post#142 » by Cowology » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:16 am

Phobo_Phile wrote:
Read on Twitter

Absolutely disgusting. Two thumbs down. What a goddamn joke of a franchise we are.
I just...I think...I have no response to this. :blank:
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#143 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 am

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:He is the only non rookie deal we’ll still have under contract after Blake is gone.

It’s a a signing that doesn’t make a lot of sense but let’s not go too nuts here.

My concern is that this type of move is a deal that is counter productive for taking teams. We drafted Stewart in round one, traded for Dedman (I don’t see any team wanting him so I think that we are stuck with him), and signed Okafor (I actually like that signing). Just isn’t making much sense.

I’m going out on a limb and assuming that while I disagree with Weaver on his judgement re: Plumlee that he’s not a total idiot.

He didn’t commit all of this money to a guy who plays the same position as a guy he drafted in round one AND a guy he just traded for. We’ve already heard reports Dedmon isn’t sticking around. I’m gonna assume that’s the case.

The problem for me is that who will want Dedman? I mean the Snell/Dedman deal made no sense. For me, we have Stewart and Okafor. Why do we need to invest so much in Plumlee? One year deal, maybe, but 3 guaranteed?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#144 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

Cowology wrote:
Phobo_Phile wrote:
Read on Twitter

I just...I think...I have no response to this. :blank:

Shams says not yet...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#145 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:20 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
My concern is that this type of move is a deal that is counter productive for taking teams. We drafted Stewart in round one, traded for Dedman (I don’t see any team wanting him so I think that we are stuck with him), and signed Okafor (I actually like that signing). Just isn’t making much sense.

I’m going out on a limb and assuming that while I disagree with Weaver on his judgement re: Plumlee that he’s not a total idiot.

He didn’t commit all of this money to a guy who plays the same position as a guy he drafted in round one AND a guy he just traded for. We’ve already heard reports Dedmon isn’t sticking around. I’m gonna assume that’s the case.

The problem for me is that who will want Dedman? I mean the Snell/Dedman deal made no sense. For me, we have Stewart and Okafor. Why do we need to invest so much in Plumlee? One year deal, maybe, but 3 guaranteed?

Again- it’s been made clear Dedmon isn’t staying. Is it not fair to assume Weaver sees things we don’t?

He didn’t sign Plumlee and Okafor to be our 3rd and 4th centers.
DetroitDon15
General Manager

Post#146 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:22 am

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I’m going out on a limb and assuming that while I disagree with Weaver on his judgement re: Plumlee that he’s not a total idiot.

Again- it’s been made clear Dedmon isn’t staying. Is it not fair to assume Weaver sees things we don’t?

I understand moving him but who or what would the return be? I just don’t see any trade out there for him without us attaching an asset to move him to get anything of value back.
haulerch
Senior
And1: 269

Post#147 » by haulerch » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 am

If we find some way to bring back Wood, SVG will be damn proud of the wall we’re building here.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#148 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am

Phobo_Phile wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fire Weaver? Are we already there? :banghead:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#149 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:

I understand moving him but who or what would the return be? I just don’t see any trade out there for him without us attaching an asset to move him to get anything of value back.

I know you don’t see it.

I’d explain, but at this point I’d just be repeating myself.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#150 » by MrBigShot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 am

The strangest thing about this is, who the hell was gonna pay Plumelee 8 mil per year for 3 years? Why outbid yourself?

Phobo_Phile wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh...doesn't seem like Wood was too keen on staying but I doubt he would have passed up on an additional 20+ mil over those 3 years, if this ends up being being what it takes for Houston to sign him. If true, in conjunction with Plumlee, I've lost a bit of faith in Weaver.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#151 » by pistonpat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 am

MrBigShot wrote:The strangest thing about this is, who the hell was gonna pay Plumelee 8 mil per year for 3 years? Why outbid yourself?

Phobo_Phile wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh...doesn't seem like Wood was too keen on staying but I doubt he would have passed up on an additional 20+ mil over those 3 years, if this ends up being being what it takes for Houston to sign him. If true, in conjunction with Plumlee, I've lost a bit of faith in Weaver.

Weaver looking really bad with this fascination with centers in 2020 and let's his best young asset walk for the essentially the same price he paid a 30 year old center? Also taking a center at #16 in the draft was also confusing in this day in age. I appreciate the activity but it is starting to feel like a scatter shot and not a clear plan yet...
DetroitDon15
General Manager

Post#152 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:52 am

pistonpat wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:The strangest thing about this is, who the hell was gonna pay Plumelee 8 mil per year for 3 years? Why outbid yourself?

Phobo_Phile wrote:
Read on Twitter

Weaver looking really bad with this fascination with centers in 2020 and let's his best young asset walk for the essentially the same price he paid a 30 year old center? Also taking a center at #16 in the draft was also confusing in this day in age. I appreciate the activity but it is starting to feel like a scatter shot and not a clear plan yet...

I was hoping for a high end upside wing like RJ Hampton at that pick. We got Stewart instead. Ugh!
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#153 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 am

I'll do my best to defend this: Our timeline to win is not in the next 3 years so Weaver is signing a guy who practices and plays the right way to build the culture among the more talented youth. Having Sekou and Stewart around Plumlee and Grant is better than having them watch and learn from Drummond and Wood. Also, we need to spend money on someone while we're bad to continue being bad. There's a minimum salary requirement and if we are somehow able to trade Blake away for less salary, it has to come from somewhere.

That's all I've got.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#154 » by kpt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 am

And both Grant and Plumlee are Detroit dna players. Hustle players. They both are high IQ players too. I like what you said above
JD43320
Veteran
And1: 774

Post#155 » by JD43320 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:47 am

You can get that with out $28 million per year for 3 years plus $5 million in dead over the next five. Plumee and Grant as players aren't really the issue. It's the money aspect that is a huge problem.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#156 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:49 am

JD43320 wrote:You can get that with out $28 million per year for 3 years plus $5 million in dead over the next five. Plumee and Grant as players aren't really the issue. It's the money aspect that is a huge problem.

Grant has a skill set that makes him valuable...to a contending team for less money.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#157 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 am

Grant works when you have a team full of young stars led by Jokic.

Grant as your centerpiece, for $20 million is dumb as hell.
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#158 » by pistonpat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 am

I think Weaver was hell bent on Grant before FA and was willing to let Woods walk from the beginning. He drafted Grant and overpaid him. Not a bad player but not worth more than Woods. Again, Weaver has taken a rebuild and done what all Piston GMs under Tom Gores does, build a team good enough to win 30-40 games, and be in the conversation for the 8th seed and then draft 10-15 and repeat all over again for the next 3 years, because he now is stretch Dedmon, McGruder which would be $18M in cap space next year and hard capping us for 3 years.. This is complete and utter incompetence as a GM. There is no way this guy learned anything from being around Sam Presti because he got taken to the cleaners in every trade he made..
Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#159 » by Shooter1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 am

Woods is 3 yr 41 mill.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#160 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:08 pm

The Spurs gave Jakob Poetl the exact same deal as Mason Plumlee to stay in SA. At this point, I would have even preferred the Pistons overpay to get him rather than sign Plumlee and Okafor. I’m not much of a fan of his, but he’s 5 years younger than Plumlee and is a legitimate NBA shot blocker and rebounder who’s been developed by the Spurs since being traded by Toronto (where he played for Casey).

Return to Detroit Pistons