2020 NBA Draft Night Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Night Thread 

Post#681 » by vic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Weaver made me a beweaver

Preferred Okoro or Williams but since the intelligence leaked out, they weren’t available.

Hayes was best pick available at that point.

Would have preferred Tillman for his IQ and passing but don’t sleep on Ike Stewart he’s one of the best bigs in the draft for his strength and energy.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Saddiq was the best 2-way wing available since Okoro/Vassell we’re gone, great trade, great pick.

I knew nothing about Saben Lee but He gets to the paint at will, finishes at a high rate, and his free throw rate is insane. He also has a crazy wingspan and gets dunks and steals.

Look I’d like even he could be a huge steal because he looks like a perfect backup pg being drafted into a ready made role

Already love what Weaver has done. Made the Pistons competitive and exciting again.

Now just sign wood and draft the best 2-way wings available in the next few drafts
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#682 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 pm

The_Irony wrote:Only 1.8m of arizas contract is guaranteed. Hes obviously gone. Incredible trade by Weaver

Some people said it's around 7 million, other said his entire contract will be guaranteed, for the Covington trade to work. It's not only the 1.8m afaik.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#683 » by The_Irony » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 pm

vege wrote:
The_Irony wrote:Only 1.8m of arizas contract is guaranteed. Hes obviously gone. Incredible trade by Weaver

Some people said it's around 7 million, other said his entire contract will be guaranteed, for the Covington trade to work. It's not only the 1.8m afaik.

Yes ive heard both numbers and since my last post, heard 7.1 is the actual number now. James Edwards believes we'll have 14-15 mill in cap now
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#684 » by Malapropism » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:58 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Malapropism wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
He's 35 years old, and I would assume has no interest in wasting a year on a bottom feeder team. And as I mentioned in the previous post, he can likely make up most or even all of on the free agent market.

There is absolutely no precedent for it, especially for an older guy who is not likely to get $6 million on the open market.

The rockets also paid $5 million for a future second from Detroit that's likely going to be in the 50s. The speculation is that it's actually a cash transaction to facilitate the Ariza deal. ie. Help pay Ariza's salary for Detroit. Unfortunately, that money doesn't decrease how much Ariza counts for the books.

There was never a precedent for anything, until it happens for the first time.

As a Pistons fan, of course I want to see his cap number as low as possible. He'll likely get bought out to get his cap number as low as possible, then he will sign a new contract as free agent. Both the Pistons and Ariza will be fine if he never steps foot in Little Ceasar's Arena.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#685 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:01 pm

So is Ariza worth $12.8 million to anyone out there?

Its also expiring so maybe we can take on a 2-3 year deal and send him out for someone with "upside" like Christian Wood was last year.

EDIT

McGruder is also expiring, since his contract for 21/22 is not guaranteed.

This team could have a huge amount of cap space for next season if that was the number 1 goal! 8-) 8-) 8-)
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#686 » by detroitKG » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 pm

Little Troy Weaver recap of the draft.

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#687 » by ducler » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:44 am

He looked exhausted on that video. Hope he'll survive by the end of the month!

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#688 » by Pharaoh » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 am

He'll be fine!

Love the fact he attacked the Draft, regardless of how weak some think it was.

All those guys are cost & team controlled for a long time if they pan out...if they don't it's a short term blip!

We're finally building the right way - it's taken far too long but at least he's shown his intent.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#689 » by EMG518 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:37 am

I just want to congratulate all of you, coming from a Knicks fan. I think you got two top 5 players in this draft with Hayes and Stewart and I like Saddiq as well, I think he will be solid.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#690 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:53 am

EMG518 wrote:I just want to congratulate all of you, coming from a Knicks fan. I think you got two top 5 players in this draft with Hayes and Stewart and I like Saddiq as well, I think he will be solid.

Thanks.

We're all kind of in mourning over the free agency moves today, but yeah, we sure felt good about the draft yesterday (well, most of us did).
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#691 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:03 am

Snakebites wrote:
EMG518 wrote:I just want to congratulate all of you, coming from a Knicks fan. I think you got two top 5 players in this draft with Hayes and Stewart and I like Saddiq as well, I think he will be solid.

Thanks.

We're all kind of in mourning over the free agency moves today, but yeah, we sure felt good about the draft yesterday (well, most of us did).

This is what makes today even worse, not only did we get hoodwinked on the direction the team was taking, all of our rookies are in difficult positions to even get on the court
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#692 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 am

Yeah, I think I've done enough post-mortem on this trainwreck of a day.

Time to just settle in and get some sleep.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#693 » by whitehops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm

so i've watched a little more of Isaiah Stewart today just because I (and a lot of people here i think) wrote him off because he doesn't scream "modern center".

the thing that stands out the most is his frame, which is sturdy. he's a wide body and weighed in at 243 (7.5% body fat) standing just over 6'7 without shoes. the short height isn't quite so bad as his reach is still 9'0.5, which is what you'd expect from someone like 6'10ish. for reference, andre drummmond's reach is 9'1.5. stewart has a huge wingspan at 7'4.

i'll start with the negatives. stewart isn't *quite* glued to the ground, but he definitely doesn't have much vertical explosion. he's absolutely not a lob option and not your traditional rim protector on defense. he's also not a complete stiff i'd say, but nimble in space is also not something i would call him. he also didn't really show any passing or play making ability. he's also not a stretch center *yet*.

now the goods. he didn't shoot a ton from deep in college and shot 25% on low volume but his mechanics are good, he showed good mid range shooting (balance, squared up, confident) and shoots well from the line (77%). those things all give me confidence that he'll develop the range to shoot from 3, which you know he's going to be practicing. what he does bring to the pistons on day one is great post play. he is strong, unafraid of contact and uses the leverage his body gives to his advantage. he also has great touch around the rim and while his footwork down low isn't "fancy", it is crisp and effective. he's pretty much the opposite of drummond in the post and should be a pretty reliable bucket if he gets the ball down low with a mismatch. defensively he's isn't the most mobile but seems smart (takes good angles) and has a body that is hard to go through in the paint.

i think he has a unique blend of power and skill down low with real potential to be a stretch 3 as well. his big body setting screens up top and giving good options either rolling to the rim or popping out for a 3 are pretty appealing tbh. how he adjusts and how he's able to be used defensively are the biggest question marks for me, but i like the pick offensively.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#694 » by BJK1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Another positive for Stewart is his hands. The kid has huge, outstanding hands and catches pretty much everything thrown in his vicinity (with one hand or both), including in traffic and on the move. And while he’s not an explosive standing jumper, he’s good enough when he has a little bit of run way. I think he has the tools to eventually become an excellent P & R partner with Killian. He reminds me a lot of Montrez Harrell.

Return to Detroit Pistons