Lakers...Deepest Team in the League Now?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,313

Re: Lakers...Deepest Team in the League Now? 

Post#21 » by GrindCityHustle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 am

If things get bad they will just get buyout candidates. Wall might end up on this team in some strange way lol
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,053

Post#22 » by MrSparkle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 am

Yep.

Clippers meanwhile looking like a kitchen fire. Their super depth chart has quickly become a problem. They’ve got no decent size salaries to even trade for talent, just the untouchable Kawhi/George contracts and Morris’ newly signed overpay. Pretty much make some salad out of an overpaid Beverley or an underpaid/important Lou.

Lost Harrell and now Green on cheap deals to rivals.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,185

Post#23 » by lambchop » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 am

One Last Shot wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
antonaki1 wrote:Yes easily, typical Lebron and his bought teams. If he stayed long enough to win the organic way he would get a lot more respect from the league fan base.

The problem is that "the organic way" means trusting your GM and owner, who you may not like, respect or trust, and then 15 years zooms by and you have no rings and no respect from the league fan base at all.

Case on Point: Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan

This. Stars essentially have to wait to get traded to a competent franchise or rot away in playoff irrelevance.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#24 » by timO » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 am

Rondo>dennis
Howard=>Harrell
Green>mathews
LFAHFN22
Junior
And1: 770

Post#25 » by LFAHFN22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 am

It really depends on how they fill out the remainder of their roster. Phil Jackson consistently asserted the significance of length, which was one of the strengths of last year's team. Their primary strength was their versatility and ability to implement various styles on both ends.

They have managed Rondo's impending departure. I see them losing Morris, whose versatility was constructive. Harrell or Matthews fail to inspire confidence. My predilection for Ibaka would have seen the Lakers evade Harrell. Personally, Favors at 10M is far more encouraging than Harrell at 9.5M. Similarly, Alec Burks or Pat Connaughton would have been more impressive signings than Matthews.

Ultimately, they'll need to address the departure of Howard, and the prospective loss of Pope and Morris. Any discussion of the Lakers' depth is premature.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,365

Post#26 » by xinxin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:30 am

Too early to tell;

One thing I’ve learned being a life long Lakers fan, being the offseason winner doesn’t guarantee rings..

Malone, Payton in 2004.

& Nash , Howard in 2012....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheHardenChoke
Junior
And1: 479

Post#27 » by TheHardenChoke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:39 am

antonaki1 wrote:Yes easily, typical Lebron and his bought teams. If he stayed long enough to win the organic way he would get a lot more respect from the league fan base.

Exactly.

How does anyone take him seriously?lol

Joke of a player
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#28 » by Jkam31 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 am

Pennebaker wrote:

The problem is that "the organic way" means trusting your GM and owner, who you may not like, respect or trust, and then 15 years zooms by and you have no rings and no respect from the league fan base at all.

All we ask for is not to leave a team after every loss to tamper with other players using klutch. Seriously how could some of you entertain him as goat when he dips whenever the going gets tough to form another super team
TheHardenChoke
Junior
And1: 479

Post#29 » by TheHardenChoke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 am

Jkam31 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

All we ask for is not to leave a team after every loss to tamper with other players using klutch. Seriously how could some of you entertain him as goat when he dips whenever the going gets tough to form another super team

Exactly.

He is not even in the GOAT discussion
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#30 » by LikeABosh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 am

Optms wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:To me the Lakers will be worse. No Rondo, no Dwight. The replacements aren't as impactful.

The new Lakers are 2nd options on 7th and 8th seeds? I find that to be a huge stretch. Deeper maybe for the regular season, just plain worse for the playoffs.

If they sign Marc Gasol this obviously changes everything.

Likely the same type of poster saying how we built the team like trash last off season.

Somehow old ass Gasol would "change everything" tho :lol:
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,839

Post#31 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:32 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
Optms wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:To me the Lakers will be worse. No Rondo, no Dwight. The replacements aren't as impactful.

The new Lakers are 2nd options on 7th and 8th seeds? I find that to be a huge stretch. Deeper maybe for the regular season, just plain worse for the playoffs.

Likely the same type of poster saying how we built the team like trash last off season.

Somehow old ass Gasol would "change everything" tho :lol:

Yup, a big who can defend well is important. Dwight's impact was underrated. Marc can still give you some solid D vs. Jokic.

Meanwhile you guys laud Montrezz as a signing, who was absolute and complete garbage. Ya wow you guys are so amazing! Get rid of guys who helped beat Jokic for a guy whose team got absolutely dumpstered by him while he was in. High bball IQ for sure, great moves.

And actually I liked the Lakers team last year. Rondo & Dwight I thought were underrated parts of the team for a loooong time.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,000

Post#32 » by R-DAWG » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 pm

It's too early to tell, as they need to secure bringing KCP back, and they need a real replacement for Dwight Howard and Avery Braldey with ring chasers. So far:

Schroeder is an upgrade over Rondo, even with how good Rondo was in the bubble, people are forgetting about his last 2 years with the Lakers where he was a fringe rotation player.

Matthews = Danny Green

Harrell isn't really a replacement for Dwight, he plays a different role, different type of player. If they replace Dwight with Tristian Thompson or Marc Gasol it's a wash at best

Losing KCP for nothing would be very difficult, and I'm concerned there is no role for Kuzma with Harrell in the mix.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,550

Post#33 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Am I the only one who thought Matthews was completely cooked last year? This isn't some huge upgrade. Hes a downgrade compared to Bradley, green and KCP.

Harrell was a nice piece, but not sure his scoring will translate to as important as what Howard brought.

Definitely think Denis was the biggest pick up here

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,163

Post#34 » by Frank Dux » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm

SeanieWard wrote:yea they might be. Blazers stacking as well

Lillard/Simons
McCollum/Trent
Covington/Hood
Collins/Derrick Jones
Nurkic/Kanter

Very good 10 man rotation. And I hear they still want Melo too

I'm not seeing it. That's an ok starting group, but that bench isn't impressive.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#35 » by NatiboyB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Clearly all of the stuff you are complaining about is Irrelevant. All teams are bought seeing as how players are drafted signed and traded for.
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,094

Post#36 » by socal74 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:52 pm

R-DAWG wrote:It's too early to tell, as they need to secure bringing KCP back, and they need a real replacement for Dwight Howard and Avery Braldey with ring chasers. So far:

Schroeder is an upgrade over Rondo, even with how good Rondo was in the bubble, people are forgetting about his last 2 years with the Lakers where he was a fringe rotation player.

Matthews = Danny Green

Harrell isn't really a replacement for Dwight, he plays a different role, different type of player. If they replace Dwight with Tristian Thompson or Marc Gasol it's a wash at best

Losing KCP for nothing would be very difficult, and I'm concerned there is no role for Kuzma with Harrell in the mix.

replacement for Avery Bradley? You do know that he wasnt in the bubble? Did you think that somehow we were missing him in the playoffs?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#37 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 pm

R-DAWG wrote:It's too early to tell, as they need to secure bringing KCP back, and they need a real replacement for Dwight Howard and Avery Braldey with ring chasers. So far:

Matthews = Danny Green

They definitely don't need to replace Bradley. They won the entire thing without him.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,732

Post#38 » by Marrrcuss » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Judging the laker acquisitions by how I hated playing against them last year.....

Matthews D'd LeBron up first game and LeBron had a very hard time getting around him. LeBron was 8-19 that game. If he can D up LeBron, he should do well against other wings.

Trezz was a problem. Period. As much as i said he was too short, Our bigs could not handle him. He averaged about 18 against us off the bench, with all our size.

Shroeder hit us for about 18 a game too
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#39 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Schröder or Rondo?
Trez or Dwight?
Wes or DGreen?

You are right, we are getting younger and more athletic.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Blazer1776
Junior
And1: 187

Post#40 » by Blazer1776 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:21 pm

If I'm not mistaken:

Dwight Howard, Avery Bradley, Danny Green, and Rajon Rondo

replaced by:

Montrez Harrell, Wesley Matthews, and Schroder?

They seem to have swapped alot of defense for offense....McGee or Harrell is the starting center now?

TBH, I think the Wesley Matthews signing is the most impactful of the signings so far.

However, I expect a move or two to be made in addition to these, so too soon to judge.

As of now, as a Blazer fan I'm not anymore scared (probably less scared) of the Lakers now than I was last season TBH. But again, I expect more moves to be made.

EDIT: Forgot KCP was still with them. For some reason I thought he was gonzo.

Return to The General Board