ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select C James Wiseman

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wupuck
Freshman
And1: 18

Re: Warriors select C James Wiseman 

Post#61 » by wupuck » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:06 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:I was hoping he'd drop to 3 for my hornets but you guys got him. I think he will be the best player in this draft.

Thanks! I was on the Hornets forum seeing what offers they were making to the TWolves for the first overall pick. As a warriors fan I was very happy you guys weren’t willing to part w PJ Washington as part of the package as I thought that would have put it over the top for the Wolves.

Although I also believe the warriors posturing to take Edward’s if Wiseman was taken first helped to scare off the wolves from making the trade for fear they’d be forced to take Ball or trade down again
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#62 » by Coxy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 am

So excited we got Wiseman, I can stop hoping and now start living it.

WTF is this Klay crap though. Talk about deflating.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#63 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Now the work begins. I certainly hope he surpasses all of the projections.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#64 » by Badly Browned » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:52 pm

What a bittersweet draft, I wanted Wiseman all along, but f----- hell getting that Klay news literally hours before.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#65 » by likashing » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Semi-related but this came to my mind last night.

Lacob and co have always loved their big men:

1) willing to trade fan favorite Monta for Bogut (I liked the trade at the time)
2) nearly signed Dwight Howard when he was a prime FA
3) willing to trade Klay for Love
4) using the #2 to pick Wiseman, did not trade the pick, and both Lacob and Myers said Wiseman was #1 on our draft board i.e. ahead of Edwards
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#66 » by Samurai » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Now the work begins. I certainly hope he surpasses all of the projections.

Well, if he surpasses all of his projections then he would be another David Robinson (not all projections are necessarily realistic ones but some analysts did make that projection). That's a pretty high bar for any rookie. If he can be 80% of that, I'll be more than happy.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#67 » by Chupchup » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:54 pm

It'll be interesting if Marquese Chriss will stick around or get traded. I'm not advocating for it or anything.

But Centers we got:
Wiseman (c)
Looney (pf/c)
Draymond (pf/c)
Chriss (pf/c ?)

We still need a bulky Center option to guard the Embiid/Jokic types. If we're giving Chriss minutes to Wiseman then might have to trade or waive Chriss.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#68 » by vagelis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Chupchup wrote:It'll be interesting if Marquese Chriss will stick around or get traded. I'm not advocating for it or anything.

But Centers we got:
Wiseman (c)
Looney (pf/c)
Draymond (pf/c)
Chriss (pf/c ?)

We still need a bulky Center option to guard the Embiid/Jokic types. If we're giving Chriss minutes to Wiseman then might have to trade or waive Chriss.

Personally I like Chriss a lot. He had a very good season last year.
He has a 2 million contract. I don't know if it will be useful to trade or waive him
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#69 » by Samurai » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Chupchup wrote:It'll be interesting if Marquese Chriss will stick around or get traded. I'm not advocating for it or anything.

But Centers we got:
Wiseman (c)
Looney (pf/c)
Draymond (pf/c)
Chriss (pf/c ?)

My guess is that the team would rather deal Looney than Chriss. Chriss is a year younger but the functional difference in their hips are more likely measured in "dog years" rather than chronological years. And we may need to shed Looney's contract to make the $$ work based on who we may be targeting to acquire.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#70 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Chriss is fine, I'd keep him unless we really need to open a roster spot. Also he's got some room for improvement, he's still only 23, only one year older than Obi Toppin who was just drafted.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#71 » by Chupchup » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Samurai wrote:

But Centers we got:
Wiseman (c)
Looney (pf/c)
Draymond (pf/c)
Chriss (pf/c ?)

My guess is that the team would rather deal Looney than Chriss. Chriss is a year younger but the functional difference in their hips are more likely measured in "dog years" rather than chronological years. And we may need to shed Looney's contract to make the $$ work based on who we may be targeting to acquire.

Looney to me is battle tested. I still remember him grinding through a broken collar bone in the playoffs. It's just too bad he can't stay healthy. Yeah I understand from the money perspective he may have to go and we pick up a bulky big in his spot. So his minutes could be taken by Wiseman instead of Chriss. But I still trust Looney when healthy over Chriss in the playoffs.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#72 » by dk1115 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:50 pm

Yoshi wrote:
marthafokker wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:For sure. I think this is the lowest the Dubs have drafted since then. Ironic that Penny coached JW. Now -- first we need to see how bad Klay's injury is. If Klay is out for another year, then 2020-2021 becomes just another year to build the roster. I'm excited about JW -- the first 5 the dubs have drafted who could actually make a real impact since Webber. Hopefully he develops as they envision and becomes an All Star and plays for 10+ years for GS. Welcome JW!

So bad a draft that you forgot Joe Smith?

How about Todd Fuller?

Fact: I used to think Joe Smith was a an all-star because he was averaging 18 points a game.
Fact: I used to think Todd Fuller was a qualified starting player because he could shoot college 3's.
Fact: I used to think Felton Spencer belonged in the league because he was the ?5th? pick of the draft.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#73 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:58 pm

I like our center rotation and I wouldn’t mess with it.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#74 » by Coxy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 am

We shouldn’t even be talking about centre’s now. We just drafted a guy that we have a huge expectation on to be able to become an elite big man, like Ayton has done. If he’s not that, we’ve wasted the pick, so this is the way.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mylie10 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 am

Wiseman is giving me rookie year Webber vibes
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#76 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 am

Mylie10 wrote:Wiseman is giving me rookie year Webber vibes

Agree....if he is as skilled as it looks...I think Warriors just got a Zion level impact player.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#77 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 am

btw....wouldn't it be ironic if Wiseman turned out to be a franchise player....and the Wolves AGAIN drafted the wrong guy ;)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#78 » by Mylie10 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 am

I just remember how fun the rookie year of Webber was. And the idea that this kid was gonna he really good.

But Nellie has to pick that scab.

Hardaway said recently that if he were around he feels like he could have been the middle man to ease the issue between those two. But his injury had him away from the team.
Khoee wrote “
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#79 » by InWestWeTrust » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 am

ILOVEIT wrote:btw....wouldn't it be ironic if Wiseman turned out to be a franchise player....and the Wolves AGAIN drafted the wrong guy ;)

Imagine next years pick via MIN turns out to be another franchise player :lol:
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#80 » by Quazza » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I just remember how fun the rookie year of Webber was. And the idea that this kid was gonna he really good.

But Nellie has to pick that scab.

Hardaway said recently that if he were around he feels like he could have been the middle man to ease the issue between those two. But his injury had him away from the team.

That round the back dunk on Barkley ....<3
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment

Return to Golden State Warriors