Gallo working with Steve Hess.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Re: Gallinari is in the nest 

Post#43 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 am

I'm not a fan of Gallinari but he is a quality player and he always ends up becoming a fan favorite where he goes because he plays and scores similar to Lou Williams

Gally is a free throw machine, the majority of his game is juking and drawing fouls, but he has also turned himself into an elite 3pt shooter in the last few years.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,030

Post#44 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:20 am

Excellent. Love the Gallo fit at SF/PF. Don't care if he starts or not. I think Bogdan was a fall back if Gallo didn't sign. I look for TS to bring in a PG and call it a team
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#45 » by vtime » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:16 am

I love the signing. He’s a 2nd or 3rd option on almost any team in the league. He’s fine at the 3 if they keep Collins, or can play the 4 if they move Collins and prospects/picks for a star wing.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 506

Post#46 » by raleigh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:09 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm not a fan of Gallinari

What's not to like? I get not loving the fit, but there's a reason the top teams wanted him.
Mike87
Junior
And1: 370

Post#47 » by Mike87 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Great signing. He’s become such a gifted scorer and his game is aging real nice. May want to drop his minutes down a bit with the injury history, but he should be on the floor every single minute Trae is on the bench.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#48 » by graymule » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:30 pm

:D

High priced bench player. We all want a great bench. We sign a 3-4 and then everyone goes off the deep end. Collins gone?
No, he's still our starting 4. We wanted to get better. This move makes us better. Collins will soon sign a new contract.

Hawks still have $$$ payroll room for a back up PG. Playoff bound! Quit trying to dispose of Collins. He's a solid core piece.
Who has improved the most since the beginning of last season? I vote Atlanta !!

:nod: :nod:
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#49 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 pm

This pretty much sums up my inability to love this. (Thx, Woj.)

Read on Twitter

I believe we almost certainly were the only team willing to go a 3rd year, and I believe that could haunt us.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#50 » by Galloisdaman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 pm

I hope this works out well. Playing with Trae is exciting. Keep in mind the 2019 Clippers and 2020 OKC teams were expected to be lottery teams but both teams with Gallo made the playoffs. Gallo is not as quick laterally as he used to be on defense (age, injuries) but he is a smart defender. He is better off defending the 4 position at this point. The mistake some coaches make is to just park him outside. He is a very good scorer and passer if you let him post up. Teams usually try to guard him with smaller players so I really hope he is given the chance to beats those mismatchs inside. My hope is Gallo can play with Collins. Gallo has played center a little bit at times with LAC and OKC.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#51 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I hope this works out well. Playing with Trae is exciting. Keep in mind the 2019 Clippers and 2020 OKC teams were expected to be lottery teams but both teams with Gallo made the playoffs. Gallo is not as quick laterally as he used to be on defense (age, injuries) but he is a smart defender. He is better off defending the 4 position at this point. The mistake some coaches make is to just park him outside. He is a very good scorer and passer if you let him post up. Teams usually try to guard him with smaller players so I really hope he is given the chance to beats those mismatchs inside. My hope is Gallo can play with Collins. Gallo has played center a little bit at times with LAC and OKC.

You bring up a great point.

I wonder if he might be better to bulk up just a bit more and try defending other teams' 5. Could be an higher-caliber version of Image.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I hope this works out well. Playing with Trae is exciting. Keep in mind the 2019 Clippers and 2020 OKC teams were expected to be lottery teams but both teams with Gallo made the playoffs. Gallo is not as quick laterally as he used to be on defense (age, injuries) but he is a smart defender. He is better off defending the 4 position at this point. The mistake some coaches make is to just park him outside. He is a very good scorer and passer if you let him post up. Teams usually try to guard him with smaller players so I really hope he is given the chance to beats those mismatchs inside. My hope is Gallo can play with Collins. Gallo has played center a little bit at times with LAC and OKC.

I wonder if he might be better to bulk up just a bit more and try defending other teams' 5. Could be an higher-caliber version of Image.

Pero's value wasn't his defense or shooting, it was just his ability to set picks, that's why Budz loved him so much for his system.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Post#53 » by jayu70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:34 pm

graymule wrote::D

High priced bench player. We all want a great bench. We sign a 3-4 and then everyone goes off the deep end. Collins gone?
No, he's still our starting 4. We wanted to get better. This move makes us better. Collins will soon sign a new contract.

Hawks still have $$$ payroll room for a back up PG. Playoff bound! Quit trying to dispose of Collins. He's a solid core piece.
Who has improved the most since the beginning of last season? I vote Atlanta !!

:nod: :nod:

Say it again Gramps. Quality depth is important if the goal is to be playoff worthy and make some noise.
Signing a 32 yr old doesn't mean replacing a 23 year old. We are building to compete now (Gallo) with an eye fixed to the future (Collins)
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:42 pm

raleigh wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm not a fan of Gallinari

What's not to like? I get not loving the fit, but there's a reason the top teams wanted him.

Size of contract, defense, his age, and his lack of intangibles.

I am interested in seeing Gally's shooting, he was giving the Thunder 3 made threes per game last year, same as prime Korver.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#55 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Pero's value was all three. Great pick-setter. Good shooter. Maybe our first-ever true "stretch 5?" Adequate--and most imporantly, immovable--in the post on defense.

I can be so much more content with that third year on the contract if there's some anticipation they're going to experment with Gallo at 5.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#56 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Honestly, I have to admit I've seen him make some flashy passes enough that it caused me to, at first, think of him as bringing some Toni Kukoc to the talent inventory. I've since realized, no, he actually isn't that much of a ball distributor normally.

That's been a disappointing revelation.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 506

Post#57 » by raleigh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:03 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Size of contract, defense, his age, and his lack of intangibles.

Defense is a concern, yep.

Re; contract - his AAV is right around where people expected. He doesn't rely on athleticism, so I don't worry about age for the first two years. Injuries and the 3rd year are bigger concerns.

As for intangibles --- Gallo makes his team better. I mean no disrespect, but you're way off on that one.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#58 » by Galloisdaman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:14 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:

When teams went small on the LAC and OKC those teams used Gallo at center. He actually did a really good job at center but he did not play there often. I think forwards are kind of interchangeable at this point in the NBA. Its more about matchup than position.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:48 pm

raleigh wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Size of contract, defense, his age, and his lack of intangibles.

Defense is a concern, yep.

Re; contract - his AAV is right around where people expected. He doesn't rely on athleticism, so I don't worry about age for the first two years. Injuries and the 3rd year are bigger concerns.

As for intangibles --- Gallo makes his team better. I mean no disrespect, but you're way off on that one.

I don't really watch Gallo's games but just from outside looking in, when you think of Gallo, you don't really think of winner or winning or playoffs.

You just think of a stat stuffer on bad teams or non playoff team. You never really think of a guy who is going to carry a team or make big shots or make clutch plays. I think Gallinari has been in the league for 15 years, racked up alot of minutes but has only made the playoffs like 3 times.

I do admit that Gallinari can rack up points, but i don't know that those points results in wins.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,664

Post#60 » by ChuckChilly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am

Terrible signing. Well be lucky if he misses just 25 games this year. One of the injury prone starters ive ever seen.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Return to Atlanta Hawks