ImageImageImageImage

Evan Fournier will exercise his $17M player option for the 2020-21 season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bimbo_Coles
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Re: Evan Fournier will exercise his $17M player option for the 2020-21 season 

Post#41 » by Bimbo_Coles » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 am

For everyone disappointed he opted in, the Warriors might be a taker now. They have a TPE which would fit his salary, and need someone to do a Klay Thompson impersonation this year.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#42 » by Bensational » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:37 am

I'd say we wouldn't want a TPE, they'd probs try send it to another team for another player.

If Harden gets traded then either Dinwiddie or Levert could fit into that exception. What we send in replacement? Bamba + protected picks? Help Houston shred salary and add youth to their rebuild.
Bimbo_Coles
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#43 » by Bimbo_Coles » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Bensational wrote:I'd say we wouldn't want a TPE, they'd probs try send it to another team for another player.

If Harden gets traded then either Dinwiddie or Levert could fit into that exception. What we send in replacement? Bamba + protected picks? Help Houston shred salary and add youth to their rebuild.

Yea, that could make sense to bring a 3rd team into it. But my understanding is that once we do a deal like this, you will get a TPE that you have up to 1 year to use. So the deals wouldn't have to happen at the same time.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#44 » by drsd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Bimbo_Coles wrote:For everyone disappointed he opted in, the Warriors might be a taker now. They have a TPE which would fit his salary, and need someone to do a Klay Thompson impersonation this year.

Financially it might be best to let Fournier play out his contract over trading him.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#45 » by Bensational » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:59 am

Feels like the Oubre deal just reset the value on a lot of guys who might potentially be traded. A TPE and a top 20 protected 1st for someone who's value probably sits around Fournier and Gordon's levels.

I just don't see WeHam valuing that kind of return.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,913

Post#46 » by MagicMatic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 am

drsd wrote:
Bimbo_Coles wrote:For everyone disappointed he opted in, the Warriors might be a taker now. They have a TPE which would fit his salary, and need someone to do a Klay Thompson impersonation this year.

Financially it might be best to let Fournier play out his contract over trading him.

Why? Is Orlando signing someone in free agency of value?
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#47 » by sportsrock37 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:07 am

Fultz and JI need extensions next year. Adding salary makes it harder to extend both them under luxury tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#48 » by drsd » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 am

MagicMatic wrote:
drsd wrote:

In the 2021 off-season, yes I would predict that.

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#49 » by jonbob17 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
drsd wrote:

In the 2021 off-season, yes I would predict that.

maybe if we trade AG or Aminu, otherwise we are in the same place next year over the cap, and not much room under luxury.
Assuming we plan on bringing Fultz an JI back. If Fultz is deemed a lost cause, then maybe we have enough to bring in one big free agent, probably not a max, but maybe close. He does have a big caphold, i guess they wouldn't offer him a QO
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#50 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 am

I've never wished injury on a player before, but... no I still can't do it.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#51 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:22 pm

I, for one, am glad Evan is back!

Fournier gonna provem all wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#52 » by The Effect » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:09 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I, for one, am glad Evan is back!

This is probably gonna be his year, I mean most guys tend to have their break out season in their 9th season right?

Btw if you guys thought Evan was going heavy on the hero ball crap last year to try and get a big contract, wait til this year when he doesn't have a player option to fall back on, he's probably gonna go full on t-ross with the starting unit and shoot the ball every time he touches it
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#53 » by cedric76 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:28 pm

The Effect wrote:

This is probably gonna be his year, I mean most guys tend to have their break out season in their 9th season right?

Btw if you guys thought Evan was going heavy on the hero ball crap last year to try and get a big contract, wait til this year when he doesn't have a player option to fall back on, he's probably gonna go full on t-ross with the starting unit and shoot the ball every time he touches it

He had a great year before getting injured in the bubble
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#54 » by The Effect » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:37 pm

cedric76 wrote:
The Effect wrote:

He had a great year before getting injured in the bubble

Stat-wise sure
But as far as playing winning, team basketball...nope
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#55 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:00 am

I just read an Athletic piece by Josh Robbins saying he was by far the most hated player by the fanbase. Why is this? Reminds me a little of how Suns fans hated TJ Warren (though he was my favorite player...Bridges rivaled it as a rookie though).

In the Athletic it showed some vicious tweets from fans to him.

It also said this:

His stats and his floor spacing should not be dismissed as worthless. Last season, there were only five players in the entire league who averaged at least 18.0 points and 3.0 assists and also shot at least 45.0 percent from the field and 39.0 percent from beyond the arc. Those five players were Damian Lillard, Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum, Khris Middleton and Fournier. That’s an impressive achievement, even if he’s not on the same level as the others. The guy competes, and he deserves credit for that.

Now I have seen people say he doesn't play winning basketball, and yes, his defense could be better, but I've also heard arguments about Vucevic, Gordon, etc, not playing winning basketball, and PG has been an issue too...Fultz never won in college and is still somewhat a project.

I'm not here to knock the team..I actually like him and Vucevic and Gordon and were hoping the Suns traded Oubre for Gordon..I also liked Fultz in the draft and LOVED Isaac and wanted him...and find Okeke intriguing. Back in the day I also wanted Terrence Ross in the draft where the Suns picked, but he went a couple picks earlier.

I'm just wondering why the hate for Fournier? You do need efficient scorers and he did avg 3 or more apg, so he's not necessarily a black hole on offense, which may have been suggested. And when you can maintain a 45% FG% while hitting over a couple 3s a game, that's pretty impressive too.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,522

Post#56 » by SOUL » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:22 am

I like Fournier the person, on the court he seems to favor Vuc more than anyone else (which after years of losing and Vuc not becoming monster all-star Vuc until recently, caused a lot of us to call it "buddy ball".) The issue isn't the fact that Vuc gets the ball, he is our best offensive player, it's that the ball needs to swing around and get the defense moving even if the shot ends with Vuc or Fournier.

He takes a lot of scoring responsibility on himself on certain plays that have a 0% chance of going in - I would take threes from Dwight Howard over Fournier driving into 4 people slowly.

Makes some head scratching turnovers, tries hard on defense but also gets completely lost and doubles for no reason at times.

Regardless, he's still a decent 3rd-4th option on offense on a great team and can be a lethal spot up shooter in the right position, but he would have to embrace that role completely.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#57 » by Xatticus » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I just read an Athletic piece by Josh Robbins saying he was by far the most hated player by the fanbase. Why is this? Reminds me a little of how Suns fans hated TJ Warren (though he was my favorite player...Bridges rivaled it as a rookie though).

It also said this:

His stats and his floor spacing should not be dismissed as worthless. Last season, there were only five players in the entire league who averaged at least 18.0 points and 3.0 assists and also shot at least 45.0 percent from the field and 39.0 percent from beyond the arc. Those five players were Damian Lillard, Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum, Khris Middleton and Fournier. That’s an impressive achievement, even if he’s not on the same level as the others. The guy competes, and he deserves credit for that.

Now I have said people say he doesn't play winning basketball, and yes, his defense could be better, but I've also heard arguments about Vucevic, Gordon, etc, not playing winning basketball, and PG has been an issue too...Fultz never won in college and is still somewhat a project.

I'm not here to knock the team..I actually like him and Vucevic and Gordon and were hoping the Suns traded Oubre for Gordon..I also liked Fultz in the draft and LOVED Isaac and wanted him...and find Okeke intriguing. Back in the day I also wanted Terrence Ross in the draft where the Suns picked, but he went a couple picks earlier.

I'm just wondering why the hate for Fournier? You do need efficient scorers and he did avg 3 or more apg, so he's not necessarily a black hole on offense, which may have been suggested. And when you can maintain a 45% FG% while hitting over a couple 3s a game, that's pretty impressive too.

It isn't even so much about his defense, because we haven't reached the point where teams abusing him at that end is even consequential, though that would obviously be an issue for someone hopeful of a deep run into the playoffs. He can stay between his man and the basket, but that's all he is good at. He is weak and ineffectual at the point of attack. His rotations are fine, but he can't do anything when he gets there. He basically never leaves his feet at the defensive end. He plays much smaller than he is. He will not switch. This is annoying when someone is hung out to dry in transition. He can jump a passing lane or strip the ball from time to time.

Offensively his stat line flatters him. He is less than the sum of his parts. He basically wants to run a two-man game with Vucevic on every possession to get his. He inhibits ball movement. He is discretionary with his distribution. We've had an issue for a long time with players that are more interested in getting theirs than they are with playing good offense. For me, he has been the primary culprit. That's not to say that he is a bad offensive player, but he isn't anywhere near as good as what his shooting line would suggest. Our best wins came when he was out last year and our offense looked pretty damned good during those performances. You can almost guarantee that he will jump in the air, throw the ball out of bounds when he can't get the shot off, and then blame a teammate for not being where he threw the ball to at least once a game.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#58 » by cedric76 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I just read an Athletic piece by Josh Robbins saying he was by far the most hated player by the fanbase. Why is this? Reminds me a little of how Suns fans hated TJ Warren (though he was my favorite player...Bridges rivaled it as a rookie though).

It also said this:

Now I have said people say he doesn't play winning basketball, and yes, his defense could be better, but I've also heard arguments about Vucevic, Gordon, etc, not playing winning basketball, and PG has been an issue too...Fultz never won in college and is still somewhat a project.

Easy answer, this board is clueless

Evan had his best year last season but people will only judge him for his bubble play where he was injured and not at 100 %
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:50 pm

SOUL wrote:I like Fournier the person, on the court he seems to favor Vuc more than anyone else (which after years of losing and Vuc not becoming monster all-star Vuc until recently, caused a lot of us to call it "buddy ball".) The issue isn't the fact that Vuc gets the ball, he is our best offensive player, it's that the ball needs to swing around and get the defense moving even if the shot ends with Vuc or Fournier.

He takes a lot of scoring responsibility on himself on certain plays that have a 0% chance of going in - I would take threes from Dwight Howard over Fournier driving into 4 people slowly.

Makes some head scratching turnovers, tries hard on defense but also gets completely lost and doubles for no reason at times.

Regardless, he's still a decent 3rd-4th option on offense on a great team and can be a lethal spot up shooter in the right position, but he would have to embrace that role completely.

OK, driving into 4 people reminds me of Josh Jackson and Oubre, so I can understand that hate, but his %s remain solid, from 2 (52.7%) so that's surprising. Turnovers not great at 1.9 pg, but at 3.2 apg, an ok ast/to ratio for a non PG.

I was just surprised he would be that hated, especially since it has seemed like efficient guard/wing scoring seems to have been somewhat an issue.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:53 pm

cedric76 wrote:

It also said this:

Easy answer, this board is clueless

Evan had his best year last season but people will only judge him for his bubble play where he was injured and not at 100 %

Sounds like people viewing Ayton, who had vast improvements (especially on defense, his biggest previous weakness) all year people were happy with (though people wish he would be more aggressive) but his bubble play was less than ideal and people seemed to have forgotten everything else.

Return to Orlando Magic