We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1501 » by fatlever » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:18 am

monks best nba skill is driving to rim, not 3pters. he finally figured that out and it lead to promise.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,125

Post#1502 » by Braggins » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 am

James Gatz wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Monk is 22. Bertans at 27 just signed for 5 and 80 and all he can do is shoot. Monk has that sniper DNA from Kentucky.

Give Monk 5 more years.

I think it's time we need to give up the idea that Monk will ever be a high end shooter. He's taken almost 800 attempts and has only hit about 32%. Shot 28% last year.

I'm not saying he's a trash player or won't improve but how many guys go from shooting that low on that many attempts to someone who hits at Seth Curry/Shamet/Kennard type rate? Monk isn't a shooter despite what we thought with him coming out of college, myself included.

I hope Monk plays well next year, he could be a nice fit next to Ball, but I'm doubtful at this point.

He shot 34% his rookie year and 33% his sophomore year despite very poor shot selection and is a career 85% free throw shooter. His mechanics also look legit good. Last season was a pretty big regression with his outside shooting. Its really hard to project where his outside shooting will end up, but I don't think its fair to just assume he is a bad shooter at this point (especially coming from a guy who wants LaMelo to be attempting 30 footers next year). Before last year I dont think it was unreasonable at all to expect he could get in the 36%-38% range at some point. Its obviously more questionable now and he could continue the trend we saw in the first half of last season, but considering the rest of his body of work (also college) I don't think its unreasonable to think he can still be a decent shooter if he continues to progress his game and take his career seriously. I'd bet on Monk breaking 35% next year before I'd bet on LaMelo breaking 30%.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1503 » by James Gatz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 am

Braggins wrote:
James Gatz wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Monk is 22. Bertans at 27 just signed for 5 and 80 and all he can do is shoot. Monk has that sniper DNA from Kentucky.

Give Monk 5 more years.

I think it's time we need to give up the idea that Monk will ever be a high end shooter. He's taken almost 800 attempts and has only hit about 32%. Shot 28% last year.

I'm not saying he's a trash player or won't improve but how many guys go from shooting that low on that many attempts to someone who hits at Seth Curry/Shamet/Kennard type rate? Monk isn't a shooter despite what we thought with him coming out of college, myself included.

I hope Monk plays well next year, he could be a nice fit next to Ball, but I'm doubtful at this point.

He shot 34% his rookie year and 33% his sophomore year despite very poor shot selection and is a career 85% free throw shooter. His mechanics also look legit good. Last season was a pretty big regression with his outside shooting. Its really hard to project where his outside shooting will end up, but I don't think its fair to just assume he is a bad shooter at this point (especially coming from a guy who wants LaMelo to be attempting 30 footers next year). Before last year I dont think it was unreasonable at all to expect he could get in the 36%-38% range at some point. Its obviously more questionable now and he could continue the trend we saw in the first half of last season, but considering the rest of his body of work (also college) I don't think its unreasonable to think he can still be a decent shooter if he continues to progress his game and take his career seriously. I'd bet on Monk breaking 35% next year before I'd bet on LaMelo breaking 30%.

I never said he couldn't be a decent shooter. Or called him a bad shooter. Not sure why you're trying to portray it that way. I said high end shooter and compared him to three other players who have relatively similar size who all shoot around 40% from 3. That is the type of player most of us projected him to be when we drafted him. My point is that we shouldn't expect him to ever be much more than a 37% guy at his best. A level of which I'm not convinced he'll ever reach.

I agree with fatlever that his ability to drive to the rim is the skill he should lean into, not shooting. He's got a good first step and great leaping ability.

Also, it's weird to try and drag me for saying our new rookie shouldn't be limited while we find out what he's capable of. Monk's shooting, which we viewed as his main skill coming out, and Ball's shooting, his biggest weakness, can't really be compared one to one. I don't disagree that Monk could shoot above 35% and Ball could shot under 30%. Yet I don't see how it's relevant here.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,125

Post#1504 » by Braggins » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 am

James Gatz wrote:
Braggins wrote:
James Gatz wrote:

I never said he couldn't be a decent shooter. Or called him a bad shooter. Not sure why you're trying to portray it that way. I said high end shooter and compared him to three other players who have relatively similar size who all shoot around 40% from 3. That is the type of player most of us projected him to be when we drafted him. My point is that we shouldn't expect him to ever be much more than a 37% guy at his best. A level of which I'm not convinced he'll ever reach.

I agree with fatlever that his ability to drive to the rim is the skill he should lean into, not shooting. He's got a good first step and great leaping ability.

Also, it's weird to try and drag me for saying our new rookie shouldn't be limited while we find out what he's capable of. Monk's shooting, which we viewed as his main skill coming out, and Ball's shooting, his biggest weakness, can't really be compared one to one. I don't disagree that Monk could shoot above 35% and Ball could shot under 30%. Yet I don't see how it's relevant here.

You said he isn't a shooter, which I thought implied you thought he was bad. I also don't expect him to ever be a 40% guy or anything like that.

Didn't mean to drag you. Looks like I misinterpreted what you meant about Monk, so my bad.

Edit: I honestly don't mind LaMelo experimenting with his game his first couple years as long as its within reason. I think Monk and LaMelo playing together on the 2nd unit will probably be the most entertaining thing about this team this season, even though it will be painful at times.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Post#1505 » by Rich4114 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:57 pm

The two things Monk did well last year and were a pretty big improvement over the previous seasons were his ability to drive and get to the rim and finish at a high % along with his ability to create shots for others. The play making at his position should not be glossed over. We all want Monk to be a better three point shooter but even if he’s not, he’s a very valuable player with the other two skills he brings to the table. If he can improve his three and be above 35%, you can bet he will be elevated to starter material and resigned long term.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#1506 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Read on Twitter
Anyone care to translate for the blocked?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1507 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:45 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Read on Twitter
Anyone care to translate for the blocked?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s just that same quote form the other day saying Monk has always had it too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1508 » by James Gatz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Braggins wrote:
Didn't mean to drag you. Looks like I misinterpreted what you meant about Monk, so my bad.

Edit: I honestly don't mind LaMelo experimenting with his game his first couple years as long as its within reason. I think Monk and LaMelo playing together on the 2nd unit will probably be the most entertaining thing about this team this season, even though it will be painful at times.

Miscommunication on both our ends then! I meant "shooter" in the knock down variety. Not in the sense he would never being able to shoot 3s at an average/above average clip. Glad we're on the same page now.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#1509 » by LofJ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 pm

Monk has gotten a lot better at making things happen off the dribble, but shooting off the dribble is still beyond him. He just isn't a primary ball-handler. He needs to focus on running his ass off to get open and being ready to fire as soon as he gets the ball. LaMelo could transform Monk into the deadly shooter we've all been waiting for. You don't shoot 85% from the line in your early 20s if you aren't a really good jump shooter.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1510 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

the developmental plan of making monk into a shooter first and slasher second was some of the dumbest stuff we've done with a draft pick since trying to make cody a stretch 4
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#1511 » by LofJ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:38 pm

DY_nasty wrote:the developmental plan of making monk into a shooter first and slasher second was some of the dumbest stuff we've done with a draft pick since trying to make cody a stretch 4

If Monk focused on slashing to the rim to either score or find an open shooter or a dump off, and using his quickness to get open off the ball his efficiency would take off. I still believe in him.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1512 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:42 pm

LofJ wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:the developmental plan of making monk into a shooter first and slasher second was some of the dumbest stuff we've done with a draft pick since trying to make cody a stretch 4

If Monk focused on slashing to the rim to either score or find an open shooter or a dump off, and using his quickness to get open off the ball his efficiency would take off. I still believe in him.

i really blame clifford man. we had the kid running point ffs... then when he fell on his face (because expecting a college 2 to suddenly become a nba 1 in 2 months is wildly unfair) we tried to attach all of his offensive progress to his outside shooting when he's been a streaky shooter his entire life. he was never going to be consistent with no confidence and being jerked around like that.

i feel like the mixed messaging is part of the blame on top of monk not being used to coaching in general.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,055

Post#1513 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Kind of went over the same thing in the Devonte Graham thread, but will do it again for Monk.

Cap Holds in 2021-2022 summer
Batum: 40 mil Or 9 Million dead cap
Zeller: 23 mil
Monk: 13 mil
Graham: 2 mil

After Hayward deal and Ball rookie deal (2nd year) we will have roughly 70 Million in active cap. So we have a projected 40 million in cap space. However this can be affected in a few ways (Batum dead cap could be 9 Million). Which would drop us down to 30 Million. Most likely we would renounce Cody in this situation. Add another 5 Million cap hold for our rookie we would be drafting and that is 25 Million in cap space. With cap holds in place of Monk and Graham that would leave us with about 10 Million in spendable cash.

Monk deal will be probably be in range of his cap hold, so I am not sure if it matters if we sign him early or late. Whereas Graham should be last to sign because his deal will be over the cap hold by a significant margin.

Knowing how much Monk cap hold/contract will be and how it limits our spending ability next offseason: my conclusion is I would not mind using him as a sweetener in order to not have to stretch Batum.

If you remove Batum Dead money and Monk Cap hold we would have potentially 35 million in cap space vs Monk and 10 million in cap space.

Which option do you prefer?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#1514 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:03 pm

I am fine with trading Monk. He has been streaky as heck, is always going to be too short to be elite at his position and the drug issue is not encouraging.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#1515 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Kind of went over the same thing in the Devonte Graham thread, but will do it again for Monk.

Cap Holds in 2021-2022 summer
Batum: 40 mil Or 9 Million dead cap
Zeller: 23 mil
Monk: 13 mil
Graham: 2 mil

After Hayward deal and Ball rookie deal (2nd year) we will have roughly 70 Million in active cap. So we have a projected 40 million in cap space. However this can be affected in a few ways (Batum dead cap could be 9 Million). Which would drop us down to 30 Million. Most likely we would renounce Cody in this situation. Add another 5 Million cap hold for our rookie we would be drafting and that is 25 Million in cap space. With cap holds in place of Monk and Graham that would leave us with about 10 Million in spendable cash.

Monk deal will be probably be in range of his cap hold, so I am not sure if it matters if we sign him early or late. Whereas Graham should be last to sign because his deal will be over the cap hold by a significant margin.

Knowing how much Monk cap hold/contract will be and how it limits our spending ability next offseason: my conclusion is I would not mind using him as a sweetener in order to not have to stretch Batum.

If you remove Batum Dead money and Monk Cap hold we would have potentially 35 million in cap space vs Monk and 10 million in cap space.

Which option do you prefer?

The Batum stretch limits spending power by 9 million, the equivalent of the MLE. If you're confident we can add a talent comparable to Monk with the MLE then go ahead and trade Monk as a sweetener to preserve the 9 million dead cap from the Batum stretch provision. I have my doubts Kupchak shares the same confidence.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#1516 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:37 pm

Additionally, I want to see how LaMelo plays up Monk, assuming he shares the ball more frequently than Rozier. I think that's a safe assumption. Rozier is a poor fit with Monk and should be moved to the Knicks for cap.
It has been written...
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1517 » by Rays Pompadour » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 pm

I think the Hornets will have to eventually make a choice on Monk, whether to make a commitment or move on. I personally favor committing, mainly because I believe Monk is finally putting in the work he's never had to do. There's simply no denying his talent. Committing would mean tangibly forgoing a bankable asset, but it's a mitigated risk.

I just hope Monk doesn't get Bacon disease and stop working once he gets paid.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#1518 » by HornetJail » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Post#1519 » by Rich4114 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 8:03 pm