ImageImageImage

Current roster

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

mrroboto4889
Sophomore
And1: 34

Re: Current roster 

Post#41 » by mrroboto4889 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:37 pm

I hate to add to the negativity but it's hard to form a different opinion. This offseason is going to be one we remember. There was an opportunity to switch gears and rebuild the right way. Instead, we dumped Luke and Bruce, are paying Jerami Grant twice as much as Christian Wood is getting, will have Dedmon on our books until 2026, and somehow lost draft capital going forward.

Rose- Whether he gets traded or not, I dont want him to take minutes from the young guys

Hayes- Obviously have to cross our fingers that he becomes something in the league but I'm of the belief we didnt take the best player available at 7. Probably closer to the 4th best

Wright- A contract that a contending team desperately wanted to rid themselves of, so we obliged

Svi

Jackson- Only free agent signing I like

Musa- I actually dont mind taking a flyer on a guy that's been written off 2 years after looking like a decent draft prospect. Probably a bust, but whatever

Grant- Massive overpay for a roleplayer. No chance we get to year 3 thinking this wasnt a mistake

Bey

Sekou

Blake- I guess we're in a situation where he's actually going to play out his contract here. Since we're not smart enough to tank and, if there was a trade market for him, he'd already be gone

Plumlee- Probably also an overpay. But more like a Galloway/Leuer salary. As opposed to a franchise crippling amount like Grant

Stewart

Okafor- This was a nothing signing and I'm surprised to see people implying he's part of the rotation. Maybe if we do trade Blake and then Plumlee gets hurt or something

I've never disowned a homestate team. Not the 0-16 Lions. Not the Tigers when they lost 119 games in 03. But theres nothing to be excited about for the Pistons and it'll be years before there is. I dont even have a rooting interest at this point. Get the 8th seed, go 0-82, idk. Wtf would even be better for the franchise?
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#42 » by pistonpat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm

mrroboto4889 wrote:I hate to add to the negativity but it's hard to form a different opinion. This offseason is going to be one we remember. There was an opportunity to switch gears and rebuild the right way. Instead, we dumped Luke and Bruce, are paying Jerami Grant twice as much as Christian Wood is getting, will have Dedmon on our books until 2026, and somehow lost draft capital going forward.

Rose- Whether he gets traded or not, I dont want him to take minutes from the young guys

Hayes- Obviously have to cross our fingers that he becomes something in the league but I'm of the belief we didnt take the best player available at 7. Probably closer to the 4th best

Wright- A contract that a contending team desperately wanted to rid themselves of, so we obliged

Svi

Jackson- Only free agent signing I like

Musa- I actually dont mind taking a flyer on a guy that's been written off 2 years after looking like a decent draft prospect. Probably a bust, but whatever

Grant- Massive overpay for a roleplayer. No chance we get to year 3 thinking this wasnt a mistake

Bey

Sekou

Blake- I guess we're in a situation where he's actually going to play out his contract here. Since we're not smart enough to tank and, if there was a trade market for him, he'd already be gone

Plumlee- Probably also an overpay. But more like a Galloway/Leuer salary. As opposed to a franchise crippling amount like Grant

Stewart

Okafor- This was a nothing signing and I'm surprised to see people implying he's part of the rotation. Maybe if we do trade Blake and then Plumlee gets hurt or something

I've never disowned a homestate team. Not the 0-16 Lions. Not the Tigers when they lost 119 games in 03. But theres nothing to be excited about for the Pistons and it'll be years before there is. I dont even have a rooting interest at this point. Get the 8th seed, go 0-82, idk. Wtf would even be better for the franchise?

The Tom Gores era of basketball will go down as the worst stretch of Piston basketball. It was already a lost decade and now here we go again to start of decade number 2. These GMs have also been paid millions to do these unthinkable deals over the last decade. Like someone wrote the Pistons are too afraid to be bad and don't know how to be good... translation another decade of being in no man's land and drafting 7-15 every year. ie irrelevant...
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#43 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 pm

I wish we just gave Wood a big bag of money and called it a day.

Basically were like a real **** version of the Nugget from last season. Instead of big dogs Jokic and Murray we got Rose as Murray and gimpy Blake as our Jokic. Then we took the nuggets role players Grant/Plumlee and way overpaid them.

Its crazy how one day I'm thinking finally a GM who gets it. Till today where I'm like we just blew all of our cap on these guys. Killed our flexibility for this pile of garbage. Sad times.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#44 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Rose / Wright / Hayes/ Lee
Svi / Jackson / Musa
Grant / Bey
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Okafor / Bradley / Stewart
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#45 » by The Penguin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:10 pm

It’s all Gores

It reminds me of the Jerry West - Brian Scalabrine story. When West was the GM for the Grizz he was playing the long game and waiting for player values to come down. The owner for the Grizz stormed into his office and said “why is my team not being talked about?!” West picked up the phone, called Scalabrine’s agent, offered the full MLE, and it was quickly accepted. West slammed the phone down and said “there, everyone will talk about you now”.

Gores bought a new arena and wants it full. He sees Blake as a superduper star from his time as a Clippers season ticket holder. He thinks fans will turn out if we are fighting for the 8 seed and there’s a chance we might win the game. Who knows, maybe he’s not wrong and the casual fan will bring their family out for that.

Reality is, those of us here are the minority. Willing to stomach “the process” for a team that’s built correctly. But we are also the fools. Nothing will change as long as Gores is the owner. Our beat writers are either complete schills or complete morons but they won’t rake Gores for any of this.

The disappointment is how close we were to a clean cap sheet, how loaded the ‘21 class is and how in ‘22 there’s a local kid coming who is getting whispers as the next Lebron. I think all of us here can see where a couple years of sacrifice could put this franchise. None of it matters as long as Gores owns the team.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#46 » by MotownMadness » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Should of just kept Drummond, Kennard and Snell and rode out next year. All these moves giving up assets and stretching players is just beyond idiotic
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#47 » by russkopp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:24 pm

If you ever wonder if a Pistons beat writer will ever bash the organization or even strongly disagree with them, check out Vince Ellis. He now works for Platinum Equity.

Barely knows basketball, has no sources around the league, just says “be patient” and “making the playoffs counts for something” and Gores pays him. Disgusting.
Fire Troy Weaver
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#48 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

I just woke up here on the West Coast. Guys, I’ll tell you, I had the worst dream last night. The Pistons made a few very stupid free agent signings, let Christian Wood walk, traded for a pouty bum on a longer contract, hamstrung their salary cap, and torpedoed their ability to select towards the top of loaded drafts over the next couple of years. But at least they took a flier on Josh Jackson.

Like I said, bad dream. I’m going back to bed.
russkopp
Analyst

Post#49 » by russkopp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Should of just kept Drummond, Kennard and Snell and rode out next year. All these moves giving up assets and stretching players is just beyond idiotic

You should see the pistons subreddit. Everyone’s a sloppy over there. “This is a tank, Emoni is ours!” They have no clue what just happened.

This is the same philosophy as the Charlie V and Ben Gordon signings.
Fire Troy Weaver
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#50 » by flow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Should of just kept Drummond, Kennard and Snell and rode out next year. All these moves giving up assets and stretching players is just beyond idiotic.

As I search for a silver lining to the disaster that was last night, it's difficult. But I'll give it a shot-

If I were to ignore the ridiculous moves & contracts, the misguided direction behind bringing them here, and the significant delay to a meaningful rebuild bringing them here has caused.... I'm happy to have Grant and Plumlee on the team. They are definitely 'Piston' players. I'll enjoy watching them go 30-42 much more than I would have enjoyed watching Drummond & RJ go 30-42. And their presence will be much more beneficial to the young guys than Drummond & RJ would have been.

There. I tried.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#51 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:41 pm

flow wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Should of just kept Drummond, Kennard and Snell and rode out next year. All these moves giving up assets and stretching players is just beyond idiotic.

As I search for a silver lining to the disaster that was last night, it's difficult. But I'll give it a shot-

If I were to ignore the ridiculous moves & contracts, the misguided direction behind bringing them here, and the significant delay to a meaningful rebuild bringing them here caused.... I'm happy to have Grant and Plumlee on the team. They are definitely 'Piston' players. I'll enjoy watching them go 30-42 much more than I would have enjoyed watching Drummond & RJ go 30-42. And their presence will be much more beneficial to the young guys than Drummond & RJ would have been.

There. I tried.

You forgot that we overpaid for bench players. Classic SVG type move. I’m starting to miss Eric Montross.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#52 » by flow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:43 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
flow wrote:

If I were to ignore the ridiculous moves & contracts, the misguided direction behind bringing them here, and the significant delay to a meaningful rebuild bringing them here caused.... I'm happy to have Grant and Plumlee on the team. They are definitely 'Piston' players. I'll enjoy watching them go 30-42 much more than I would have enjoyed watching Drummond & RJ go 30-42. And their presence will be much more beneficial to the young guys than Drummond & RJ would have been.

There. I tried.

You forgot that we overpaid for bench players. Classic SVG type move. I’m starting to miss Eric Montross.

No, I said ridiculous contracts.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#53 » by rmfc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:45 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Should of just kept Drummond, Kennard and Snell and rode out next year. All these moves giving up assets and stretching players is just beyond idiotic

Agreed. That would've landed us a top 3 pick in 2021.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#54 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 pm

You know it’s bad when the beat writers are confused by these moves. None can justify or make sense of any of this, except for maybe the Josh Jackson signing.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#55 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:49 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
flow wrote:

There. I tried.

No, I said ridiculous contracts.

It’s the same because I don’t see Grant as a SF over starting over Blake. I also don’t see Plumlee as a starting C on any type of roster. It’s one and the same to me.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#56 » by rmfc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 pm

BJK1 wrote:You know it’s bad when the beat writers are confused by these moves. None can justify or make sense of any of this, except for maybe the Josh Jackson signing.

Okafor on vet min is also fine. Everything else in FA, though... :o :o :crazy:
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#57 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Pistons have got to be planning on starting Blake and Grant at the 4/5 spots. I know it sounds crazy, but we're going small ball. Just to start the first quarter and 3rd quarter. Plumlee will come in and get 24 MPG at backup C as well and the rookie will likely get the last 12 minutes.
russkopp
Analyst

Post#58 » by russkopp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:09 pm

bstein14 wrote:Pistons have got to be planning on starting Blake and Grant at the 4/5 spots. I know it sounds crazy, but we're going small ball. Just to start the first quarter and 3rd quarter. Plumlee will come in and get 24 MPG at backup C as well and the rookie will likely get the last 12 minutes.

Nope. Okafor signs a vet min deal to get some playing time, prove to other teams he’s valuable and sign elsewhere in a year or two. He didn’t come here to be the third string center.

Grant is our 3, Blake is 4, Plumlee is 5. It’s the josh smith era all over again.
Fire Troy Weaver
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#59 » by kpt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 pm

We have rostered 4 old school centers in a athletic 2 way shooting wing league. Ugh
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#60 » by TPA » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:15 pm

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/11/21/21588371/day-2-nba-free-agency-detroit-pistons-roster-makes-sense-jerami-grant-blake-griffin-derrick-rose

This article makes some sense of these moves and our long term construct. Makes me feel a little bit better, but I'm still pretty ill... I think Weaver is either a mastermind genius or a complete knucklehead. I guess time will tell.

Return to Detroit Pistons