ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight To Philly

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,255

Re: Dwight To Philly 

Post#61 » by heezyo2o » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:43 am

Kilroy wrote:This is all just the most Dwight thing ever though... He's a weird dude...

It's sad to see the narrative end so abruptly, but at the same time, I think we got more from Dwight than we ever deserved to expect.

It's not like Dwight didn't want to come back. Dwight was happy all year and especially when he held the trophy at the end. His GF/wife plays in Los Angeles too, so Dwight has plenty of reasons to come back to the Lakers. Maybe the lakers didn't offer the money or offer a contract at all.

Morey is a slick dude. He probably had someone else lined up and put the pressure on Dwight to sign right away
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#62 » by ROballer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 am

Even a washed up Marc is a far superior player.

He is a former D player of the year and still very solid defending the post. Just ask Embiid in the past two years.
He will more than held his own against Jokic and whatever big guys are left in the league that Harrell can't defend.
And it's not like Howard was a master at switching and hovering on the perimeter, he was borderline unplayable on some nights.

On offense it's not even remotely close, Marc can hit free throws, shoot the 3, pass, everything you would want from a modern day center.

He will be asked to play at most 20 mins a night, he'll be alright. Solid upgrade over Dwight if he takes the minimum and comes here.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
heezyo2o
Starter

Post#63 » by heezyo2o » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 am

Gasol is an overall better player, but I think Ibaka would be a better fit for the lakers. Ibaka can shoot 3s and rebound just as well or even better than gasol. And is a lot more mobile than the lumbering gasol so he can defend smaller players and run the lane more effectively. Ibaka assuming he didn't sign with the nets, would be a better match with AD to close games since Harrell can't shoot 3s or if they don't sign Morris
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#64 » by stan francisco » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Well, I did say that if Dwight came back to the Lakers and won a championship that I would forgive him. So Dwight, you are forgiven. Thanks for the memories and that trophy! Good luck in Philly!

Co-sign. Well said.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#65 » by ROballer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:16 pm

heezyo2o wrote:Gasol is an overall better player, but I think Ibaka would be a better fit for the lakers. Ibaka can shoot 3s and rebound just as well or even better than gasol. And is a lot more mobile than the lumbering gasol so he can defend smaller players and run the lane more effectively. Ibaka assuming he didn't sign with the nets, would be a better match with AD to close games since Harrell can't shoot 3s or if they don't sign Morris

We don't have any money left for Ibaka. We used the MLE on Harrell, it's all minimums from now on.

We also talked about Gallinari and he got 20 per, Ibaka is getting paid.

heezyo2o
Starter

Post#66 » by heezyo2o » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Ibaka was "only" getting 12 million a year before that contract with the Raptors. If Ibaka signed for say 15ish, there might be chance. Just spitballing, but they could give Ibaka the money meant for KCP. And not sure where Kumza and his contract falls now that Harrell is here. That could also go towards Ibaka
ROballer
General Manager

Post#67 » by ROballer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:49 pm

heezyo2o wrote:Ibaka was "only" getting 12 million a year before that contract with the Raptors. If Ibaka signed for say 15ish, there might be chance. Just spitballing, but they could give Ibaka the money meant for KCP. And not sure where Kumza and his contract falls now that Harrell is here. That could also go towards Ibaka

We don't have any cap space whatsoever, we only had the exceptions which we used on Harrell and Matthews.

KCP can be resigned because we have his bird rights.

It's only minimums for anybody else. Ibaka is a no go.

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#68 » by leeprettyp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Man wish we could've brought him back at the minimum. Hopefully we can get Marc Gasol for the vet minimum. Just need a big for 15-18mpg... Especially for the Jokic matchup
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#69 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 am

SlimShady83 wrote:
dAdo dA dEvil wrote:We responded by signing Harrell so I'm ok with Dwight leaving. I still feel Cousins will end up with us again. Now go and get Marc Gasol.

Can we also get his Brother Pau, not sure if he FA or even still playing lol, but bring him back asap.

Than call it off season :)

I would like to have Pau back too.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#70 » by SweetTouch » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Has LBJ said anything to Dwight
Like congrats

This episode seems so odd. Why is Dwight always in odd situations

He said he didn’t want to play for free , and got this contract

Guess teams didn’t really want him
Stop being so disrespectful.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#71 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Really surprised Dwight left, especially with the whole situation of him tweeting that he was glad to be staying, then literally minutes later he's heading out to Philly for what I would assume is less then what the Lakers could have offered him with out even using any additional exemptions, then they would have had early birds if they wanted to keep him around post 20-21.

I think LA was the best place for Dwight and I think LA could have used him, I would have offered him slightly more then the minimum to keep him around if I where the Lakers, unless they have someone else already lined up(Marc Gasol, etc).

I think between AD, LeBron, Dwight, McGee etc Lakers just had so much rim protection, size, rebounding, interior defense that most teams simply couldn't go body-for-body like the Lakers could in their front court rotation Trez for Dwight swaps out a lot of defense for more offense and given the way the game is played today its hard to argue against taking the higher offensive output especially for a bench player. Think the Lakers go out and get another big body if for nothing else to keep AD from having to bang around too much in the post in the RS.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#72 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:15 pm

What happened to Dwight is his pride got so hurt. Imagine, tweeting that you are coming back only to find out that the deal is not yet formal. Next thing he did was to grab the first offer that comes after to failed lakers deal
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,948

Post#73 » by thebigbird » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Getting Dwight to stay in line for a year was a tough task and might not be replicable. I expect him to go back to old Dwight in philly.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#74 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:39 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:Really surprised Dwight left, especially with the whole situation of him tweeting that he was glad to be staying, then literally minutes later he's heading out to Philly for what I would assume is less then what the Lakers could have offered him with out even using any additional exemptions, then they would have had early birds if they wanted to keep him around post 20-21.

I think LA was the best place for Dwight and I think LA could have used him, I would have offered him slightly more then the minimum to keep him around if I where the Lakers, unless they have someone else already lined up(Marc Gasol, etc).

I think between AD, LeBron, Dwight, McGee etc Lakers just had so much rim protection, size, rebounding, interior defense that most teams simply couldn't go body-for-body like the Lakers could in their front court rotation Trez for Dwight swaps out a lot of defense for more offense and given the way the game is played today its hard to argue against taking the higher offensive output especially for a bench player. Think the Lakers go out and get another big body if for nothing else to keep AD from having to bang around too much in the post in the RS.

I heard this on the local radio a few days ago. The story around Atlanta is that Dwight got a verbal offer from the Lakers for a short term deal. As soon as he got the verbal offer, Dwight went on twitter and posted his purple and gold comment.

Then what happen next is that either the Lakers didn't call back or the somebody from the Lakers called Dwight's people and told them that they are retracting the offer, then they just left Dwight high and dry.

The reason why LA retracted Dwight's offer is because they were secretly making a deal with Montrezl Harrell.

So Dwight didn't leave, he was actually forced out by the Lakers.

So actually Dwight is the good guy in the story and it was the Lakers that were the, as holes.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#75 » by Slava » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:Really surprised Dwight left, especially with the whole situation of him tweeting that he was glad to be staying, then literally minutes later he's heading out to Philly for what I would assume is less then what the Lakers could have offered him with out even using any additional exemptions, then they would have had early birds if they wanted to keep him around post 20-21.

I heard this on the local radio a few days ago. The story around Atlanta is that Dwight got a verbal offer from the Lakers for a short term deal. As soon as he got the verbal offer, Dwight went on twitter and posted his purple and gold comment.

Then what happen next is that either the Lakers didn't call back or the somebody from the Lakers called Dwight's people and told them that they are retracting the offer, then they just left Dwight high and dry.

The reason why LA retracted Dwight's offer is because they were secretly making a deal with Montrezl Harrell.

So Dwight didn't leave, he was actually forced out by the Lakers.

So actually Dwight is the good guy in the story and it was the Lakers that were the, as holes.

The version I read from Chris Haynes on Yahoo was that the Lakers offered a 1 year $3M deal as a possibility to his agent for how high they could go to bring him back and his agent communicated to Dwight about it, Dwight thought it was a done deal and posted on twitter before his agent had to call him and tell him nothing was agreed.

Then Dwight waited for three hours for a more formal offer which did not come before finding out about Harrell going to Lakers and decided he won't get the playing time he felt he deserved and decided to take the Philly offer as Morey was courting him aggressively.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#76 » by JVL » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:29 am

I wish Dwight all the best, he proved everyone wrong this year by committing to a pure veteran role. Did all the dirty work, never complained, crashed the boards every single game and played hard when he was on the court. Played a pivotal role in dismantling Joker in the Denver series. Waved his towel like a champ when he was on the bench.

His exit is a bit strange but I doubt we know the full story. Godspeed Dwight.
bellabiyel
Pro Prospect
And1: 743

Post#77 » by bellabiyel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 pm

i think he panicked thinking he will never get an offer again if he didnt accept the sixers offer .if he could just wait .once mcgee accept the po its automatic he will get traded so howard will get his minutes. best of luck to dwight hope to finished your career with a bang
AUSTHIM REAVES
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#78 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:15 am

Glad he came last year, played a great 'lunch box' role, and earned a title. Really came with a perfect attitude. I'd have liked to bring him back...but I question the same humility and attitude after the title.

It is what it is. Thank you Dwight for a great season, and settling unfinished business in LA. Best of luck to you

Return to Los Angeles Lakers