ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Trillen
Rookie
And1: 155

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#281 » by Trillen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Dub_Sax wrote:Anybody else curious why they haven't had a press conf yet?
Or is it just because the FO has to quickly shift to free agency?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

I would assume Free Agency does have a big part in that. I'm not sure what we'll do but Weltman's made it seem like they want to be active somehow.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#282 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:07 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:It’s not that I don’t see Cole and Fultz starting together possibly in the foreseeable future. It’s more about how porous our defense would be and both Ross and Fournier are better options as the roster is currently constructed.

why? anthony isn't a bad defender and neither is fultz

We both know Clifford isn’t starting Cole with Fournier and Ross on the roster. Not happening.
Fultz has a real tough time against small quick gards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#283 » by KillMonger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 am

MagicMatic wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:It’s not that I don’t see Cole and Fultz starting together possibly in the foreseeable future. It’s more about how porous our defense would be and both Ross and Fournier are better options as the roster is currently constructed.

why? anthony isn't a bad defender and neither is fultz

We both know Clifford isn’t starting Cole with Fournier and Ross on the roster. Not happening.

ok, that makes more sense....i agree, although with Ross it seems clifford likes him stapled to the bench as he has had opportunities to start him in the past
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior
And1: 417

Post#284 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 am

pepe1991 wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
I don't understand why should i act exited about player i didn't like day ago, just because he got drafted by my team? :lol:
Wanted Nesmith, went 1 spot ahead, hoped for Bey as team has no SF depth whatsoever- passed on him and they took guy i can't see anyhing more than backup PG in nba?

I'm happy that you are some others are exited about him, but you have to be ok with me or anbody else don't being that happy with selection.

You guys love your " but he got injuried" excuse so i was bored and played a little with " how good he was before" and ... He was pretty much same - trigger happy chucker before and after injury

STATS BEFORE INJURY
He shot 56-152 = 36,8%
In that period he shot 22-62 = 35% for 3

32 assits -34 turnovers.

So basically he was actually worst player before injury , or at very best same player. All together, there was not a single period of his college career where he looked like PLAYMAKER that has any control over a game or a team or offense. Wild, out of control, trigger happy, chasing own shots is only thing he was doing.

From what i've said 7 days ago i stand today, he is shooting guard too small to play at SG so he is at PG by default. But he does not have BBIQ, decison making nor control to be starting PG in nba.

Even plays like this show why he isn't point guard.

Instad of most obvious pass in history, he crashed into a middle of a court into 2 biggest defenders and still hoists up some brick. ( offensive foul- charge was called )

Down the line maybe he'll be solid change of pace guard off bench, Jordan Clarkson type player. That's my best bet with him.

I hope i'm wrong, but based on what he showed so far, i highly doubt i am.

Well, everybody's entitled to their own preference and opinion.
We'll see what comes out of this draft pick.

There are some questions with his game, and there are some positives that are obvious to see.
Most if not all of his weaknesses can be fixed and his game will be a lot more polished and smooth when he starts playing with other NBA talent.

Let's not turn that discussion into a love-hate word barrage. If he does not pan out and we don't see any improvement or flashes by next year, yeah, he is a bust. But nothing makes me think such a negative outcome is probable, on the contrary, the guy has high motor and willingness to succeed at this level. He is a competitive dog and plays with fire. We need that.

Also, think about it: who would you rather have as a backup? An old and weak DJ or an up and coming athletic explosive scorer and shot creator, offensive threat and an elite guard rebounder who can push the tempo???

I strongly believe all Magic fans should root for Cole only because if he succeeds early on, it will only contribute to getting rid of Fournier sooner and breaking the buddy-ball nightmare. Only based on that I think he should have a strong fanbase here.

Let's get super specific, without investing emotions in it.

I'm very, very confused with fit with current roster , projected future roster and Cole Anthony.
Magic are investing money and probably exstending Markelle Fultz. He is our PG of future, for better or worst. Right? It's no secret he is more talented than Cole, everybody can agree with that.
Can their game co-exist? Not really. Since both are ball dominant and not much of a natural scorers off catch. Due Fultz condition, he is probably most usless off ball players along Westbrook and Rubio in whole league.
Can Cole play SG ? Not really, he is very small and short , with thiny wingspan that will make it impossible for him to guard other SGs . And you are what you can guard. If you can't guard anybody you are Steph Curry ( :lol: ) . Jokes aside, there are just 4 undersized high quality SGs in whole league:

1) Donovan Mitchell, supereme athlete, built like a NFL player
2) Bradley Beal, another bulky, muscular guard
3) CJ McCullum ( who is always weakest link on Blazers already weak defense )
4) Jrue Holiday, equipped with 6'7 wingspan and nose for defense

But if he is allegedly 6'2 in shoes, with already reported 6'3 -and half wingspan, he is still smaller than any of them.

Short term, for Orlando, he is backup, without any doubt he won't start single game as long as Fultz is funcional and running.
So in that second unit, depending is Okeke starting, you are already running into trubles.
There is rookie PG, rookie SF-PF, very raw and very lost on both ends -Bamba and whoever plays with SF-PF . And Ross.
Ross might take every shot bench unit takes :lol:

From start there is obvious lack of quality pick&roll action, bread and butter of every offense, and fans don't seem to understand why Bamba "looked" better in second than in rookie year. ( spoiler alert, he didn't have to play with Bricscoe and Grant but spent wohle year playing off DJ Augustin ) Bamba is only treat as pop option, and kind a terrible rolling big. In same time Cole Anthony flat out sucked as finisher around rim. So both guys in pick&roll action have same desire to - shoot and not go inside. That's trouble.

i just find it funny how people get exited about edited videos of players practicing over 5'5 coaches that don't contest their jumpshots. LIke, i watched Derick Rose pregame shootarounds where guy would bang 19 out of 20 threes and come in game and shot 1 for 6 every game. Or there would be video of Dante Exum beating chairs off dribble and he would get Kobe comparisons :lol:

I get your concerns, Pepe. I have my own as well.
Let's support the guy and not hope he fails just to make a point. Time will tell.

Cole is very talented and Orlando will be a better and more dynamic team with him. Cole has a lot to prove and if he succeeds, the Magic will prosper.
When we ride on our bball enemieZ!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#285 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:56 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
I don't see the resemblance. Cole is 6'3" while Jameer was 5'6"?

No need to exaggerate, lol. Jameer was 5'11 at the combine without shoes.

Really?!?!? Now I know the NBA is rigged. I was taller than him standing next to him and I am 5'11!
What kind of socks were you wearing?
aka: prorl
Danodez82
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#286 » by Danodez82 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:42 am

I saw Jameer many times in person and he looked 5’10” with shoes
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#287 » by dsg2021 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:13 am

Man, I miss Jameer. Still remember when I was sitting courtside in this one game against NYK, close to where Jameer had hit this clutch shot in the 4th that caused a time-out. We literally caught each other doing the same exact head nod expression. It was like this nonchalant, no smiling, head bob of cold-blooded murder.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#288 » by Audi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 am

I like this pick. Could prove to be one of the better players in the entire draft. Time will tell.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out with Fultz but either way it’s nice to see us finally prioritize the PG spot after so long. Feel like we can confidently focus elsewhere now.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#289 » by JBSouthpaw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 pm

I'd like Cole to be like Kendrick Nunn from Miami, with a bit more upside.

One thing I haven't seen touched on, Cole's ability to get to the FT line, if he does the same from college, he'd be tops on the team by almost 2 attempts a game.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#290 » by Xatticus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:I'd like Cole to be like Kendrick Nunn from Miami, with a bit more upside.

One thing I haven't seen touched on, Cole's ability to get to the FT line, if he does the same from college, he'd be tops on the team by almost 2 attempts a game.

His FTr wasn't that high and FTr doesn't really translate all that well, especially for undersized guards. That's not to say that it won't, but it isn't something I'd bank on.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#291 » by RookieStar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Xatticus wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:I'd like Cole to be like Kendrick Nunn from Miami, with a bit more upside.

His FTr wasn't that high and FTr doesn't really translate all that well, especially for undersized guards. That's not to say that it won't, but it isn't something I'd bank on.

TBF, he actually has average-above average height for the PG spot and as for the 2 spot..SGs like Herro, Beal, CJ , JJ are around 6'4.. he only has 1 inch off on them.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#292 » by p0peye » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:52 pm

I wouldn't go as far as to proclaim Fultz "Magic PG of the future". If by future we mean "this season", then yeah, sure. In my mind, he is where Elfrid Payton was in 2017: there's still hope, but he might just end up being traded for top 56 protected 2nd round pick in the end.

Cole Anthony is drafted to give his best impersonating DJ this coming season. If we're lucky, a Jameer might be hiding in this one. If we're super lucky, it might be rich man's Jameer and that dude is legit All Star for a season or two.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#293 » by cedric76 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Good back up, this is what you draft with the 15th pick
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#294 » by JBSouthpaw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Xatticus wrote:

there are plenty of smaller guards who get to the line.
Trae Young got over 5 attempts his rookie year, and over 9 last year as one example.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#295 » by J_Magic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 pm

I hope he starts with Fultz. We need something differenent. Hooefully he gets the Terrence Ross green light.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#296 » by basketballRob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 pm

If DJ is gone I think Anthony ends up top 3 in rookie of the year voting. He's going to put up a lot of shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#297 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:27 pm

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Well, everybody's entitled to their own preference and opinion.
We'll see what comes out of this draft pick.

There are some questions with his game, and there are some positives that are obvious to see.
Most if not all of his weaknesses can be fixed and his game will be a lot more polished and smooth when he starts playing with other NBA talent.

Let's not turn that discussion into a love-hate word barrage. If he does not pan out and we don't see any improvement or flashes by next year, yeah, he is a bust. But nothing makes me think such a negative outcome is probable, on the contrary, the guy has high motor and willingness to succeed at this level. He is a competitive dog and plays with fire. We need that.

Also, think about it: who would you rather have as a backup? An old and weak DJ or an up and coming athletic explosive scorer and shot creator, offensive threat and an elite guard rebounder who can push the tempo???

I strongly believe all Magic fans should root for Cole only because if he succeeds early on, it will only contribute to getting rid of Fournier sooner and breaking the buddy-ball nightmare. Only based on that I think he should have a strong fanbase here.

Let's get super specific, without investing emotions in it.

I'm very, very confused with fit with current roster , projected future roster and Cole Anthony.
Magic are investing money and probably exstending Markelle Fultz. He is our PG of future, for better or worst. Right? It's no secret he is more talented than Cole, everybody can agree with that.
Can their game co-exist? Not really. Since both are ball dominant and not much of a natural scorers off catch. Due Fultz condition, he is probably most usless off ball players along Westbrook and Rubio in whole league.
Can Cole play SG ? Not really, he is very small and short , with thiny wingspan that will make it impossible for him to guard other SGs . And you are what you can guard. If you can't guard anybody you are Steph Curry ( :lol: ) . Jokes aside, there are just 4 undersized high quality SGs in whole league:

1) Donovan Mitchell, supereme athlete, built like a NFL player
2) Bradley Beal, another bulky, muscular guard
3) CJ McCullum ( who is always weakest link on Blazers already weak defense )
4) Jrue Holiday, equipped with 6'7 wingspan and nose for defense

But if he is allegedly 6'2 in shoes, with already reported 6'3 -and half wingspan, he is still smaller than any of them.

Short term, for Orlando, he is backup, without any doubt he won't start single game as long as Fultz is funcional and running.
So in that second unit, depending is Okeke starting, you are already running into trubles.
There is rookie PG, rookie SF-PF, very raw and very lost on both ends -Bamba and whoever plays with SF-PF . And Ross.
Ross might take every shot bench unit takes :lol:

From start there is obvious lack of quality pick&roll action, bread and butter of every offense, and fans don't seem to understand why Bamba "looked" better in second than in rookie year. ( spoiler alert, he didn't have to play with Bricscoe and Grant but spent wohle year playing off DJ Augustin ) Bamba is only treat as pop option, and kind a terrible rolling big. In same time Cole Anthony flat out sucked as finisher around rim. So both guys in pick&roll action have same desire to - shoot and not go inside. That's trouble.

i just find it funny how people get exited about edited videos of players practicing over 5'5 coaches that don't contest their jumpshots. LIke, i watched Derick Rose pregame shootarounds where guy would bang 19 out of 20 threes and come in game and shot 1 for 6 every game. Or there would be video of Dante Exum beating chairs off dribble and he would get Kobe comparisons :lol:

I get your concerns, Pepe. I have my own as well.
Let's support the guy and not hope he fails just to make a point. Time will tell.

Cole is very talented and Orlando will be a better and more dynamic team with him. Cole has a lot to prove and if he succeeds, the Magic will prosper.

He has yet to even lace up his shoes and step on the court.... can't deem him a bust, anything else in between and anything above. But yep... the kid has the drive to be the best... and has that fight in him that i think we've been lacking in some of our players. I've watched his interviews... and the guy really has that "It Factor" in my opinion. I think a lot of people who are down on him will probably make a 180 in the near future.

and I'm not worried about fit.... fultz is 6'4" with a 6'-9" wingspan... he will be able to man the SG if they get together in the future as starters. luckily.... we have a lot of switchable forwards and hopefully an anchor at the rim in bamba.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,079

Post#298 » by SOUL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:51 pm

At this point just let the kid play and prove us right or wrong. Really don't understand people getting up in arms and writing 5 pages on why he will suck or not until he can play. I get having snap opinions and judgments but at some point being right or wrong shouldn't override being a natural fan and hoping the best for our young guys, or maybe I'm just a delusional fan.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#299 » by Skybox » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Lots of UNC studs explode in the NBA to a greater extent than NCAA. I don't know if it's still relevant to their program but the saying was "the only man who could hold Michael Jordan to 15 points is Dean Smith"...just saying.

College hoops can be very structured. It's a "coaches league". That's why kids are skipping it and certainly not sticking around and developing like they could. I'm thinking Anthony could be one of the guys that flourishes in a "players league".

Maybe wishful thinking. Maybe.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#300 » by RookieStar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm

EXACTLY!

Guys, for better or worse, he is a Magic player right no. As someone said, he hasn't even laced it up in a Magic uniform yet and we are already hating on him? Give him a chance first. See if he really is an inefficient no-passing shooting worse-version of DJ PG then you can hate him.

Return to Orlando Magic