Other
3%

Total votes: 36

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Minnesota's starting PG/SG 

Post#1 » by Baseline81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:42 pm

With the additions of Rubio and Edwards to Russell and Beasley, now resigned, I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are about which two start, barring an injury.

For the 2020-2021 season, the Wolves have sunk quite a bit of salary into these four players:
- Russell ($28.7M)
- Rubio ($17.0M)
- Beasley ($15.0M)
- Edwards ($9.8M)
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Re: Minnesota's starting PG/SG 

Post#2 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 pm

Russell-Okogie. Lets goooooooooo!!!
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#3 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Has to be Rubio - Russell...

Doesn't make sense to bring Rubio off the bench when he never was one or justify to be a bench player in the first place, especially with the last 3 years he had as a starter. Also i don't think would be a good move at all... In terms of confidence and stability. Beasley is the perfect 6th man (he played his entire carrer coming from the bench) and Edwards is a rookie, and it looks like he can play at 3.

This is a no question for me on who should start.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#4 » by Krapinsky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm much more concerned about SF/PF.

I think Rubio/Russell makes the most sense as a recipe for winning basketball.

I also like the spark that Okogie and Beasley provide when they come off the bench together as a wing tandem.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Also, i don't think Rubio would be ok coming off the bench as many suggested.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#6 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Krapinsky wrote:I also like the spark that Okogie and Beasley provide when they come off the bench together as a wing tandem.

Okogie and Beasley need one of Rubio/DLo to produce, because both have limited shot creation ability.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,515

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:28 pm

I think it’s probably easier to stagger Russell and Rubio if Rubio comes off the bench. It doesn’t mean Rubio can’t play starters minutes or finish games.
I also think starting is more meaningful to someone like Beasley or even Edwards. Rubio might be the better player but he’s also not the future anymore.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#8 » by Norseman79 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Here's what we all need to remember. The Wolves don't play a typical pg,sg,sf,of,c type of lineup, they see more a pg,w,w,w,c type of play. I hate it, but it's what they seem to be building.

Unrelated note, OKC is quickly become my second favorite team.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,424

Post#9 » by shrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm

Will be: Russell, Beasley (at least to start)

Should be: Russell, Rubio

Russell and Beasley were both in the 12 worst DBPMs last year. Yes, they’ll score a lot of points, but they will give away more. What I would expect is that we will eventually start Russell and Rubio, Rubio will get a quick hook for Beasley, and then Rubio will come back when Russell rests and Ricky orchestrates the second unit. It may take some time for Edwards to be a starter, but being in the second unit with Rubio will make the game easier for him and speed up his development.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Baseline81 wrote:With the additions of Rubio and Edwards to Russell and Beasley, now resigned, I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are about which two start, barring an injury.

For the 2020-2021 season, the Wolves have sunk quite a bit of salary into these four players:
- Russell ($28.7M)
- Rubio ($17.0M)
- Beasley ($15.0M)
- Edwards ($9.8M)

Edwards shouldn't be considered for this. He's our starting SF.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#11 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think it’s probably easier to stagger Russell and Rubio if Rubio comes off the bench. It doesn’t mean Rubio can’t play starters minutes or finish games.
I also think starting is more meaningful to someone like Beasley or even Edwards. Rubio might be the better player but he’s also not the future anymore.
Rubio never played from the bench his carrer and he is playing the best basketball of his life. Beasley has 220 games in the league and 33 as a starter...

Why create a problem here?

Of course Ricky is not going to accept well being a bench player even with starter minutes. Why should he? Doesn't make any sense.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#12 » by Norseman79 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:With the additions of Rubio and Edwards to Russell and Beasley, now resigned, I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are about which two start, barring an injury.

- Russell ($28.7M)
- Rubio ($17.0M)
- Beasley ($15.0M)
- Edwards ($9.8M)

Edwards shouldn't be considered for this. He's our starting SF.

In your world, in mine he is our starting SG. This is what happens when your roster is currently piss poorly designed, but they have time to adjust
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:09 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I think it’s probably easier to stagger Russell and Rubio if Rubio comes off the bench. It doesn’t mean Rubio can’t play starters minutes or finish games.
Rubio never played from the bench his carrer and he is playing the best basketball of his life. Beasley has 220 games in the league and 33 as a starter...

Of course Ricky is not going to accept well being a bench player even with starter minutes. Why should he? Doesn't make any sense.

Considering Rubio is a team first player, it doesn’t make sense for him to cause problems because he’s concerned with whether he’s starting or not. Just because Beasley hasn’t started, doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to start. Thats actually why I would assume it means more to him.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#14 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Considering Rubio is a team first player, it doesn’t make sense for him to cause problems because he’s concerned with whether he’s starting or not. Just because Beasley hasn’t started, doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to start. Thats actually why I would assume it means more to him.

But Rubio is a team first player that never was a bench player. He's also in his prime after 3 fantastic years playing with similiar guys of Russell btw. He's going to be benched now?

I think all players can have the desire of starting, they all do actually, doesn't mean they get to be. You are thinking the wrong way here. Creating a problem where there isn't one... Hopefully this is not even a thing to think about for Ryan and Rosas.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#15 » by Dual » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:22 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

You need a balanced team, and of course a team that can defend.
The combo of Dlo and Beasley would be a party for the other team.
Is strange to me that defense is not taking in account here.
If we want to be a playoff team, we will have to transform us in at least a good defensive team.
As far as I see we will need Ricky and a good defensive player at 3, and of course that Kat becomes a serviceable defensive presence.
Defense is what will make this team grow guys, not 23543 guys that average 20 plus points.
This don't mean that I don't like a lot Beasley, but first we will have to change the culture to be a successful TEAM.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Dual wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Rubio never played from the bench his carrer and he is playing the best basketball of his life. Beasley has 220 games in the league and 33 as a starter...

If we want to be a playoff team, we will have to transform us in at least a good defensive team.
As far as I see we will need Ricky and a good defensive player at 3, and of course that Kat becomes a serviceable defensive presence.
Defense is what will make this team grow guys, not 23543 guys that average 20 plus points.
This don't mean that I don't like a lot Beasley, but first we will have to change the culture to be a successful TEAM.

That’s fine but Rubio is going to get his minutes, I’m not suggesting he doesn’t play.
This isn’t about how good of a player Rubio is.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#17 » by Dual » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Dual wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

That’s fine but Rubio is going to get his minutes, I’m not suggesting he doesn’t play.

I know, I know, I was talking in general, shouldn't quote you specifically.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#18 » by Baseline81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Also, i don't think Rubio would be ok coming off the bench as many suggested.

If you listen to this clip, Krawczynski, who broke the Rubio deal, says due diligence was done to see if he's ready to be that supporting character. Rubio is apparently comfortable coming off the bench if he has to.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/7c0babc1
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#19 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Also, i don't think Rubio would be ok coming off the bench as many suggested.

If you listen to this clip, Krawczynski, who broke the Rubio deal, says due diligence was done to see if he's ready to be that supporting character. Rubio is apparently comfortable coming off the bench if he has to.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/7c0babc1
[/quote]

I will listen later. But he specifically talks about Rubio being confortable coming off the bench?
Or he only talks about Rubio being a supporting character like he always was...
Baseline81
Starter

Post#20 » by Baseline81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm

mercgold3 wrote:I will listen later. But he specifically talks about Rubio being confortable coming off the bench?
Or he only talks about Rubio being a supporting character like he always was...

Approximate 4 minute mark:
"Talking to people around the situation, there was some due diligence done to see if Rubio was ready at this point in his career to be that more supporting character, that supporting cast member. After playing with Donovan Mitchell in Utah, after playing with Devin Booker in Phoenix, he has kind of gotten to the point in his career where he understands that the world doesn't revolve around him. And he's going to be there to help people more than to be the center of attention. I'm told that he is comfortable with the idea of coming off the bench if he has to. He just wants to be in a good role on a team that can be really competitive. And so he's going to come back with that mindset of assimilating to the group, providing leadership, being that steadying force, but also knowing this is not his show. This is KAT's show, and this is Russell's show. And to a degree, this is Edwards' show now. Rubio's going to try to be there to kind of make all those guys better and make their lives easier."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves