DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Grant over Wood 

Post#1 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 pm

[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Can some help me with this issue. I have no idea how this team felt Grant was a better value at 20 mill per as opposed to a more versatile Wood at 14 million. Am I missing something? Has someone seen Grant be a better player? I feel like that I’m in the twilight zone.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Re: Grant over Wood 

Post#2 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Beats me.

Grant has no offensive versatility at all. His offensive game is limited to catch and shoot 3's and transition buckets. His defense is average, although he has the ability to guard 3-5, which it seems is most attractive to Weaver.

All in all, I think he just fits the mould Weaver likes far more than Wood
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#3 » by mattao313 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:41 pm

LMAO like how does that make any sense? The only Weaver move I liked was him drafting Killian Hayes everything else is meh to trash.
Championships
DetroitDon15
General Manager

Post#4 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 pm

The Moose wrote:Beats me.

Grant has no offensive versatility at all. His offensive game is limited to catch and shoot 3's and transition buckets. His defense is average, although he has the ability to guard 3-5, which it seems is most attractive to Weaver.

All in all, I think he just fits the mould Weaver likes far more than Wood

I think that Weavers vision is to be what the Pistons were pre Drummond trade. A 8-10 seed type team with long term contracts and no real shot at a title. I guess that plays now as the play in tournament includes 9 and 10 seeds. Silver lining right? :banghead:
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#5 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Grant was a Weaver guy from OKC. Wood represented the success of the previous regime in Detroit something Weaver wanted to tear apart and put his own stamp on the franchise.

Doesn't matter to Weaver that Wood is much more of a well rounded player.

The crazy thing is we could have EASILY had both still if we didn't take on that Ariza contract. No part of me understands passing on Wood for 3 years $42 million that is almost the exact type of contract 99% of us here would want Wood at. $14 million per year and only 3 years to make sure he doesn't go soft on us on a 4 year deal.

This is an absolute **** show we looked like we were going into full rebuild mode now I'm not sure.

We could have easily had $40+ million in cap space NEXT SUMMER as well and used it as an asset to collect other players and picks but now that is being taken up by Grant $21.0, Plumlee $8.5, and Wight $8.5 so we'll only be an MLE team next summer.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#6 » by 440BB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Wood's stream of tweets about free agency sure sounded like a guy who wanted to play elsewhere. Assuming he was an option for us at all may be a mistake.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#7 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm

We'll get to see how this all plays out. Grant has a MUCH longer track record to go off of when deciding to pay somebody 40M. Denver beat writers reported Denver offered Jerami the same contract but he wanted to go to a place where he'll be featured more.

I'm betting Wood plays PF in Houston as well. He seemed unwilling to gain any weight, reported he was down to 220lbs pretty recently. Weaver seemingly likes traditional centers looking at the draft (Stewart), signings (Plumlee, Okafor) and coming from OKC with Steven Adams grit and toughness.

I know folks here wanted to keep Wood because he was the diamond in the rough that Detroit "found" but that we only had his EBR's and he was a UFA it's not nearly as special. Wood "broke out" for 18 games on a really bad team who won like one game during this time.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#8 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Grant over Wood is laughable.

Could have had both if we didn’t sign Plumlee/Okafor.

SO PISSED
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#9 » by 440BB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Assuming that Wood was willing to stay is a reach IMO.

He gave no indication he was interested in being here any longer, which most players do even if it's just a bargaining ploy.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Yeah I dont think Wood wanted to stay. He never showed any signs of wanting to anyways.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#11 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Wood appeared to want money. This team had money to pay him, but instead chose to go ALL IN with Plumlee and Grant.

Pistons stretched guys, to make room for a 30 year old center who has trouble with layups (dunk or go home?) and another tweener, to go with our tweener of the future (Sekou) and the guy we traded Kennard and 4 second rounders for (Bey). Hey, who wants to play young guys on a tanking team? Casey does not. So just gird your loins, Casey will not play any young guys if doesnt have to.

Last year was McRae, Knight and Henson being featured with starter+ minutes instead of Khyri, King or Hall. Just for fun, you know.

Awful, stupid moves that dont make any sense together. Zero.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#12 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:58 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Grant over Wood is laughable.

Could have had both if we didn’t sign Plumlee/Okafor.

SO PISSED

Plumlee signed for 8M AAV, Okafor on a vet minimum deal that will be signed last as can be signed when over the cap so not a factor.

8M vs 14M is a pretty big difference.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#13 » by BDM22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Flat out I’d rather give Wood the 3/60 than Grant. Neither are worth it, but I get the feeling we will seriously regret this. I doubt Wood turns down the extra money to stay.

The fact that it sounds like we wouldn’t match what Houston offered is disturbing regarding the future of the franchise with Weaver at the helm.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#14 » by MotownMadness » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:13 pm

He definitely wanted out but I doubt he would of passed up on that Grant deal to stay
Read on Twitter
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#15 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Rememeber, originally it sounded like Wood was ok accepting 3 years $27 million from Houston. It ended up being bumped up even more but that means Detroit didn't even put a fair offer out there for him. He wasn't turning down 3/$45 million from Detroit to go sign for 3/$27 million in Houston. The guy hasn't even made $2 million in career earnings up to this point.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#16 » by El Chivo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Grant is way better, although we didn't need to overpay a superlative role player
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#17 » by pistonpat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:42 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Can some help me with this issue. I have no idea how this team felt Grant was a better value at 20 mill per as opposed to a more versatile Wood at 14 million. Am I missing something? Has someone seen Grant be a better player? I feel like that I’m in the twilight zone.

I think we have an evaluation issue in the front office. We wouldn't take a younger Woods at a 30% discount? This is coming from the same team who gave a 30 year old center 3 yr/$25M who can't shoot. Also the same team that traded for the 38th pick, only to take a player no one thought was getting draft ( Jordan Bone 2.0.. source says they have a 1st round grade on him. oh please not again) and also take on a $4M contract for yet another backup center...

As Coach Lombardi would say " what the hell is going on around here""
DetroitDon15
General Manager

Post#18 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

pistonpat wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

I think we have an evaluation issue in the front office. We wouldn't take a younger Woods at a 30% discount? This is coming from the same team who gave a 30 year old center 3 yr/$25M who can't shoot. Also the same team that traded for the 38th pick, only to take a player no one thought was getting draft ( Jordan Bone 2.0.. source says they have a 1st round grade on him. oh please not again) and also take on a $4M contract for yet another backup center...

As Coach Lombardi would say " what the hell is going on around here""

Spot on. It’s similar to drafting a guy in the second roun who has no interest in playing for us.

Return to Detroit Pistons