ImageImageImage

Positives of this offseason - Only Positive stuff

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Positives of this offseason - Only Positive stuff 

Post#1 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:07 pm

Obviously lots of bad stuff, lets try to figure out the good stuff. 8-) 8-) 8-)

1) Ive read that the stretch of Dedmon and Gruder is only about $4million a year. Also that this number will go down when those two gets deals. The equation was half the amount they make on new deals will be taken off of the stretch amount.

So if Dedmon gets $5 a million a year (I mean he was getting 13?) then $500k gets taken off each of the 5 years. Same for Gruder. Maybe that will only be $3 or less a year after this all figured out.

2) There is a chance that Blake gets traded, or he is done. Grant will get starter minutes at the PF and could be traded next year to someone who misses out in free agency. $20 million is a good size. The problem with the big contracts like Blake is that $37 million is just too large.

3) Plumlee will be a good mentor for Stewart. Those two will be the right kind of partner to train with. Each will give %100 and if they dont injure each other, will make each other better. Or at least keep Plumlee sharp.

4) Maybe Wood's personality was really that bad? And he had to be sent out. Casey did not seem to like him.

Feel free to add your own. There are plenty of places for bad news and I will be the first to add to those lists. But there are possible positives.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Re: Positives of this offseason - Only Positive stuff 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm

I really liked the draft (that's my positive)
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#3 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:14 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I really liked the draft (that's my positive)

I liked the draft till free agency. My positive take is that we don’t have to worry about bottoming out the next three years. We’ll be a bottom 3 team the next years at least.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#4 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:14 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Obviously lots of bad stuff, lets try to figure out the good stuff. 8-) 8-) 8-)

1) Ive read that the stretch of Dedmon and Gruder is only about $4million a year. Also that this number will go down when those two gets deals. The equation was half the amount they make on new deals will be taken off of the stretch amount.

So if Dedmon gets $5 a million a year (I mean he was getting 13?) then $500k gets taken off each of the 5 years. Same for Gruder. Maybe that will only be $3 or less a year after this all figured out.

2) There is a chance that Blake gets traded, or he is done. Grant will get starter minutes at the PF and could be traded next year to someone who misses out in free agency. $20 million is a good size. The problem with the big contracts like Blake is that $37 million is just too large.

3) Plumlee will be a good mentor for Stewart. Those two will be the right kind of partner to train with. Each will give %100 and if they dont injure each other, will make each other better. Or at least keep Plumlee sharp.

4) Maybe Wood's personality was really that bad? And he had to be sent out. Casey did not seem to like him.

Feel free to add your own. There are plenty of places for bad news and I will be the first to add to those lists. But there are possible positives.

1. How is it a positive that we 2 players and they will count towards our cap for 5 years? Who cares that it might count for a little less. Because Dedmon is getting paid anyways, he probably takes a min salary on a contendor so our savings becomes almost nothing.

2. There has always been a chance Blake gets traded, that hasn't changed. Its a slim chance.

3. Plumlee will also take minutes for Stewart, which probably would have been the #1 most important part in developing Stewart to give him a spot in the rotation right away and let him get better and learn on the fly.

4. You are right in that Casey and Wood butted heads a bit, but its an awfully sad thing to lose a good player. You can bring in other guys to "change the culture" and still keep a few guys that have talent.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm

5) I also think the draft was incredible.

Hayes could be Dragic with better defense. Hopefully he rubs off on Sekou and they get a French Connection, with pick and roll, pick and pops. Just speak French on the court together.

Bey looks great and Villanova seems to produce. He is a really smart, hard worker. Its a Heat type move.

Stewart sounds like a guy that will give 100% every day. Thats what you want from a big. I saw some games and he outplayed Okungwu and other guys drafted ahead of him.

Seban Lee, no idea.

We could have the best G-league team ever 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: .
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:23 pm

6) Other random guys do have potential.

Hands from the Nets looks good and Nets fan were hoping he would be playing minutes there. He will be in the G-league and look good.

Musa is a lottery ticket that could be like that guy from Israel. A tall SF that can handle the ball, pass, drive and shoot. He might turn out to be something.

7) G-league team

Hands, Lee
Musa,
Bey
Stewart

All time G-league team. Are they still in GR or will they already move to Detroit?
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#7 » by Han Solo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm

Nice post brother. I’m actually excited about this year. Haven’t been able to say that in a long time.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#8 » by davidvolumes » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Bey has stud potential. He should play from day one. In today's position-less basketball he is a shooting guard. He's deadly accurate and a bully. Sorry to see wood go but jerami Grant is very good consolation prize. We fans just need to be patient as the stars on the team begin to develop.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#9 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:46 pm

We supported the #TWLM movement by giving Plumlee $25 million.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#10 » by SamFlow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Positives.

All the bad vibes and discontent and lack of effort is gone.

With all the new faces, we can now set a standard on how one should play and behave and work.

Our team before sucked, so even if we suck, we are no worse off.

There is some potential here. Don't worry about players taking time from other players.
Players that earn their minutes will play.

Unless he bombs, Killian Hayes is the starter. Rose is the backup as intended for someone with his past injuries.

Who else is the starters? No idea. Svi or Jackson. Possibly both. jackson at the sf spot and Svi at the sg spot.
Depth, any team needs depth.

As many of said, all the moves are not complete at this time.

I'm more excited for this team that I would have been for last years team.
Y'all would have hated me as a gm, I'd be going crazy just like weaver.... piecing together what I want and slight moves based on what I see.

Still excited to see what happens next, what moves come next. Not all the moves make sense now, but let it play through. It's only been a week.
BigDaddyJungle
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm

I still like what we did in the draft- essentially all of it.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:

5) I also think the draft was incredible.

Hayes could be Dragic with better defense. Hopefully he rubs off on Sekou and they get a French Connection, with pick and roll, pick and pops. Just speak French on the court together.

Bey looks great and Villanova seems to produce. He is a really smart, hard worker. Its a Heat type move.

Stewart sounds like a guy that will give 100% every day. Thats what you want from a big. I saw some games and he outplayed Okungwu and other guys drafted ahead of him.

Seban Lee, no idea.

We could have the best G-league team ever 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: .

This is true, really like the guys that have been coming out of that program over the years. Hopefully Bey can be another one.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#13 » by 440BB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm

The biggest positive of this offseason for me is that we're not here grousing about Drummond picking up his option for another year, leaving us directionless with little cap space.

I'm also happy we've put a number of hungry aggressive younger players on the roster, many playing solid defense.

I think this will be an interesting team to watch as they sort out the roster and develop over the next year while still being a lottery team.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 pm

davidvolumes wrote:Bey has stud potential. He should play from day one. In today's position-less basketball he is a shooting guard. He's deadly accurate and a bully. Sorry to see wood go but jerami Grant is very good consolation prize. We fans just need to be patient as the stars on the team begin to develop.

Yeah it really depends on what Bey can guard. Man if he can guard 2s, look out. Maybe slow 2s?

7) Could Bey play a Duncan Robinson type role? But also have some back down game? Duncan is 6'7" 215. Bey is 6'8" with a 7" wingspan, also 215.

Duncan isnt an athletic wonder. Bey could play a similar role, but be bigger, stronger, have a back down game. But Duncan on Bey and Bey would bully him down for a little jump hook right? Could Bey keep up with Duncan around the court, guarding him?

Saw this below:

It's a great time to be a 3-point shooter in the NBA. Sharpshooters Danilo Gallinari (three years, $61.5M), Joe Harris (four years, $75M) and Davis Bertans (five years, $80M) agreed to contracts totaling over $216 million on Friday, with an annual average of $18 million. Gallinari actually made history with his contract -- it's the most lucrative multi-year deal for a player over 30 years old without an All-Star appearance, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

I mean guys like Bertans and Joe Harris, thats what Bey is. People are paying huge sums for that kind of shooting + height. Bey makes a few million for 3 years.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

8) Plumlee is fine playing few minutes and he excelled at that role in Denver. There shouldnt be a worry of him playing 20 minutes a night as hard as he can.

while Plumlee averaged 17.3 minutes per game (10.8 in the playoffs) as Nikola Jokic's backup with the Nuggets,

Let's say Plumlee plays 19-20 minutes a night, at 100% effort.

Still plenty of minutes for Stewart and even to try Okafor.

Probably the season will begin with Plumlee/Okafor as the Centers. NBA begins in 31 days. Only 2 weeks of training camp.

But Stewart will get time to play and Plumlee will not have a problem with that, he has been a professional and thrived in that role of 20 minutes a game as an energy guy so far.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,314

Post#16 » by oldncreaky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 pm

440BB wrote:That's ironic. If we had signed FVV we would more likely become a ninth seed than a lottery team.

Maybe the stars aligned in our favor, rebuilding in spite of ourselves lol.

I think this is the best news out of free agency: no Van Vleet.

FVV would ruin any tanking plans, and with it ruin a rebuild. He is a competitive guy. He won in college. Undrafted, he won a spot on the Raptors. Spent most of his first season in the G league, and won the title with Siakim. Played his way into the rotation of a 50+ win team, then the starting line up. He's short, and has shortcomings, but he would probably will the Pistons into the playoffs -- and that is not what we need.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#17 » by flow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 pm

1. Drummond & RJ are gone.

2. Maker is gone, too.
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#18 » by Patrick27 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm

We have a GM that is a trader that wants to accumulate assets. Think of him as a shopkeeper - everyone's still available and the shelves are stocked. There's something for every price and every position that a contender with injury problems would want, and all with relatively short contracts. He can trade any value imaginable. He can showcase them all while the rookies acclimate to the league.

Meanwhile, we make sure that 2021 1st rounder doesn't convey.

I'm astounded that when the focus of a rebuild is to collect tradeable assets, people are concerned about what the depth chart will look like.

Depth charts? We're talking about depth charts, man...
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#19 » by chrbal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 pm

1- we are going to have an amazing g league team this season. We might even be able to justify keeping Grand Rapids as a 2nd one.

2- the draft, I feel, went really well.

3- we apparently got something in a sign and trade for Wood.

4- at least we are being active....
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#20 » by vege » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Killian Hayes, let me think about something else, we did a lot of stuff, we were very active so I'm sure there's something else positive, hum, no, that's about it. Killian Hayes fell into our lap.

Return to Detroit Pistons