Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,717

Re: Bucks acquire Jrue Holiday 

Post#921 » by emunney » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 am

hsfolk wrote:so NO basically traded RJ Hampton for Steven Adams

Well, what's Denver getting?

ETA: I misread. They get Hampton, OKC gets the 2023 pick.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#922 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Trades like this almost never get revamped unless it's to allow one of the teams to flip one of the assets. Unless you think the Bucks are flipping Jrue, it's very unlikely this thing is changing in any remotely significant way from the Bucks' point of view. It's hard enough to negotiate a trade as is, and going back to the drawing board to change the principle assets being exchanged kills tons of potential deals. This is just NOP trying to flip Bledsoe and/or Hill.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Post#923 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote: This is just NOP trying to flip Bledsoe and/or Hill.

This is the forgotten part about the Jrue deal. We gave up two really useful players. Hill will shine as a backup PG with a contender. Bledsoe can easily stabilize/upgrade the starting PG position on some team like the Knicks, Hornets, Magic, etc.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#924 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 pm

My opinion is largely that I think it was completely irresponsible, lacking any imagination or creativity, but might have ultimately needed to be done from a Giannis perspective. Personally I guess I'm not as down as everyone. Maybe I've just finally got my rose colored glasses as a Bucks fan but I'm "ok" with where we are right now. To me losing Bogdan hurts more from a Giannis perspective than it does from a team perspective. Everyone was riding high when they thought we had him and now are doom and gloom but personally I don't think we would have gained a ton with him, besides again the Giannis side of things which if I see some bull like this go down I think what the **** am I doing here. I think we'll go into the season and see a lot of the sustained success we saw previous years and then it just all comes down to the playoffs. Bledsoe wasn't only a zero, he was downright a hinderance. He's gone and hopefully Jrue can pick up some of that slack but we also have two more giant question marks in Bud and Giannis himself. I have no idea how it plays out. Like always I'm along for the ride and I'll be here when we're discussing what second round picks we can buy to put around Donte Divincenzo when it all blows up.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
buckbeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#925 » by buckbeer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Could the Bucks be negotiating a contract extension with Jrue before the trade becomes official? A multi-year contract with Jrue could make this trade look better.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,717

Post#926 » by emunney » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:54 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
crkone wrote:Get ready to be disappointed

Thanks. I'm a big boy. I can handle it.

Got a time?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
hsfolk
Junior
And1: 300

Post#927 » by hsfolk » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Read on Twitter
lvckv
Starter
And1: 2,031

Post#928 » by lvckv » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 pm

I think the full deal is:

Bucks get: Holiday

OKC get: Hill, Miller, 42nd pick, Nugs first and second in 23, Wash second in 24

Pels get: Bledsoe, Adams, Bucks firsts in 25 and 27, Bucks swaps in 24 and 26
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Post#929 » by skones » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm

buckbeer wrote:Could the Bucks be negotiating a contract extension with Jrue before the trade becomes official? A multi-year contract with Jrue could make this trade look better.
I don't agree, at all.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using RealGM mobile app
giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#930 » by giraldo5 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

skones wrote:
buckbeer wrote:Could the Bucks be negotiating a contract extension with Jrue before the trade becomes official? A multi-year contract with Jrue could make this trade look better.
I don't agree, at all.

To be fair, you think Bledsoe and Holiday are the same player eventually. If that's the case yes its an awful trade. You seem to be alone in that opinion though.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,726

Post#931 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 pm

In no universe is Bledsoe as good as Holiday. Especially in the post-season.

I wouldn't be shocked if in the Gianni/front-office meeting, Gianni told them "get me a PG who can shoot and throw me a decent lob."
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
skones
RealGM

Post#932 » by skones » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 pm

giraldo5 wrote:
skones wrote:
I don't agree, at all.

To be fair, you think Bledsoe and Holiday are the same player eventually. If that's the case yes its an awful trade. You seem to be alone in that opinion though.

To be fair, they ARE similar players, and it's ridiculous to say otherwise. The statistical case that can be made offers very little separation between the two. It's impossible to make a case that the Holiday deal was anything other than awful for us with the draft compensation we included.

But we're talking about an extension. Jrue Holiday is 30 years old, we don't know how this team looks with him this season, and Giannis hasn't signed an extension of his own. It would be beyond dumb to just throw a ton of money at a 30 year old Jrue Holiday just so you can make it difficult for yourself to get out from underneath his deal if Giannis leaves and you have to rebuild.

I was one of the few, if not only, guy on this board advocating for a Jrue Holiday buy low deal a few years back when his injuries were a bit of an issue. Most considered him "unmovable and do not touch" at that juncture. That's the territory you're putting yourself into with a long term high dollar value deal on the wrong side of 30.
skones
RealGM

Post#933 » by skones » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:05 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:In no universe is Bledsoe as good as Holiday. Especially in the post-season.

I wouldn't be shocked if in the Gianni/front-office meeting, Gianni told them "get me a PG who can shoot and throw me a decent lob."

So they went out and got a guy who shot:

from distance to improve from:

dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,232

Post#934 » by dbrodz7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 pm

skones wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:In no universe is Bledsoe as good as Holiday. Especially in the post-season.

If only the regular season numbers were our f*cking problem :roll:
Misery loves company
skones
RealGM

Post#935 » by skones » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:
skones wrote:

If only the regular season numbers were our f*cking problem :roll:

And you just bet 3 first round picks and 2 swaps on a guy with nearly identical production and a similar overall game? K.
Mihai
Junior
And1: 117

Post#936 » by Mihai » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 pm

skones wrote:

Have you seen how hesitant Bledsoe is with his shooting? He demands no respect from opponents when pulling from deep.
Holiday can create for himself and pull up from anywhere. He is a constant threat.
Bled was not. It will be a great improvement if Holiday comes here motivated and in good shape! He’s miles ahead offensively regardless of percentages looking similar.
We definitely improved creatively and in the confidence department.
JABBAri Parker
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,578

Post#937 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:41 am

skones wrote:

I think it's important to at least look at the catch and shoot numbers. Jrue was forced to shoot 3s off the dribble way to often, a byproduct of playing in a bad offense with no consideration of spacing. Players generally shot worse off the dribble, and Jrue is one of them.

His catch and shoot numbers are actually good, so look for him to have a career year shooting the 3 by playing in a well spaced offense, plus the gravity of Giannis.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,942

Post#938 » by soxperry » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:50 am

Was thinking about Jrue's incentives issue and the hard cap. I wonder if we couod offer him an extension that restructures and turns some of that into guaranteed money to give us more flexibility now and also lock him up longer term.

Have got to assume he was very receptive to extending or we would not have traded for him.
skones
RealGM

Post#939 » by skones » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:56 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:
His catch and shoot numbers are actually good, so look for him to have a career year shooting the 3 by playing in a well spaced offense, plus the gravity of Giannis.

They aren't though.

Catch and Shoot Threes:

36.6%
39%
29.3%
26.4%

for

30.1%
39.5%
35.4%
36.4%

Bledsoe has been awful the last two seasons, but nothing about Holiday's numbers from a catch and shoot standpoint are "actually good." In fact, over the past two seasons, he's been about as average as it gets. Is that an improvement over what Bledsoe has been the last two years? Obviously yes. Are we aiming for "average" catch and shoot players? Shouldn't be. Is the upgrade to average in the most important category to Giannis worth the capital invested? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
skones
RealGM

Post#940 » by skones » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:59 am

soxperry wrote:Was thinking about Jrue's incentives issue and the hard cap. I wonder if we couod offer him an extension that restructures and turns some of that into guaranteed money to give us more flexibility now and also lock him up longer term.

Have got to assume he was very receptive to extending or we would not have traded for him.

You can't do that in the NBA. Renegotiations in the NBA can be used to add salary, they cannot be used to give a player a pay cut in order to give your team more cap room. Only teams under the cap can renegotiate anyway.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks