Total votes: 36

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Re: Minnesota's starting PG/SG 

Post#21 » by old school 34 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Also, i don't think Rubio would be ok coming off the bench as many suggested.

If you listen to this clip, Krawczynski, who broke the Rubio deal, says due diligence was done to see if he's ready to be that supporting character. Rubio is apparently comfortable coming off the bench if he has to.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/7c0babc1

I will listen later. But he specifically talks about Rubio being confortable coming off the bench?
Or he only talks about Rubio being a supporting character like he always was...[/quote]

I haven't listened to the specific link, but that's some of what I've heard as well...that Rubio very comfortable about coming off bench. Confident he'll get his minutes regardless & doesn't need to be in SL. Remember, did that a fair amount on the Spain team early on I believe. Think he's in best spot to mentally handle it.

Only way they get everyone enough minutes (these 4 anyways)...is that they eat significantly into the minutes at the 3 as well, right? Just as a baseline...if each guy is a 30/minutes guy...that's 120 minutes right there?

Beasley's D will need to change @ some point if he wants to get the real high leverage minutes that he's probably after @ some point.

Antman...can very much be slow played to some degree if they need to hold him accountable on some of the things that need to change in his game.

These are good problems to have....minutes earned will never be as competitive.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#22 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:I will listen later. But he specifically talks about Rubio being confortable coming off the bench?
Or he only talks about Rubio being a supporting character like he always was...

Approximate 4 minute mark:
"Talking to people around the situation, there was some due diligence done to see if Rubio was ready at this point in his career to be that more supporting character, that supporting cast member. After playing with Donovan Mitchell in Utah, after playing with Devin Booker in Phoenix, he has kind of gotten to the point in his career where he understands that the world doesn't revolve around him. And he's going to be there to help people more than to be the center of attention. I'm told that he is comfortable with the idea of coming off the bench if he has to. He just wants to be in a good role on a team that can be really competitive. And so he's going to come back with that mindset of assimilating to the group, providing leadership, being that steadying force, but also knowing this is not his show. This is KAT's show. This is Russell's show. And to a degree, this is Edwards' show now."

Thank you.
I dont understand this mindset (if true) for a player of this quaility in his prime and after 3 really good years.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#23 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:With the additions of Rubio and Edwards to Russell and Beasley, now resigned, I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are about which two start, barring an injury.

For the 2020-2021 season, the Wolves have sunk quite a bit of salary into these four players:
- Russell ($28.7M)
- Rubio ($17.0M)
- Beasley ($15.0M)
- Edwards ($9.8M)

Edwards shouldn't be considered for this. He's our starting SF.

In your world, in mine he is our starting SG. This is what happens when your roster is currently piss poorly designed, but they have time to adjust

Edwards if the new measurements are to be believed is actually a bigger than average SF.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#24 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Has to be Rubio - Russell...

Doesn't make sense to bring Rubio off the bench when he never was one or justify to be a bench player in the first place...

I'll just say it was this kind of mentality that made it difficult to have any versitility with roster when he was here the first time. I think it was maybe one of the reasons why some felt he had to be traded. Nobody was willing to play him off bench when needed. Right now, Dlo is the dude. Rubio, we most of us love that he's back, but is still the 30 year old vet now. There will probably be times he gets starts and probably should be times he does not. If you draw some kind of hardline it just limits everything. Everyone must take a hit to their egos as teams build up talent. But we have two Max players that are good starters and I want them in their best position, not something some of you think he can do just fine part time being used as Dlo's starting gig. When it makes sense for the opponent, that's what helps make the decision a good one.

I know Rosas and this whole houston north thing was always hinting at playing a load of guards. And this may very well set the stage for that. However I still feel like they are working on deals to move someone else yet.

If not, I vote for an option of:

Dlo, Beasley, Edwards, Gomez, Towns (This is twice or more the roster of last season depending on Edwards game)
Rubio, Edwards, Okogie, Layman, Towns
JMac, Culver, Layman, Vanderbilt, Reid

Could get away with starting Okogie isntead of Edwards in that top line.

Typing out these lineups I find it hard to make sure there is enough shooters at all times. As soon as you put Rubio out there and think of who he's passing to I start thinking I can't put two weak shooting guards out there together with him. In the lineup above it's dependant on whether Edwards is makingg buckets or not. But at least he can Cut and hopfully finish. This is the only reason I've kept Jmac listed. He's a bigtime shooter in his own right and the team may end up keeping him around for that. Maybe not. Probably no room.

Could see a Rubio, Dlo, Beasly, Edwards, Towns show at some point. the 4-1?
Maybe a Rubio, Dlo, Beasly, Edwards, Okogie all guard 5?
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#25 » by Norseman79 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Edwards shouldn't be considered for this. He's our starting SF.

In your world, in mine he is our starting SG. This is what happens when your roster is currently piss poorly designed, but they have time to adjust

Edwards if the new measurements are to be believed is actually a bigger than average SF.

And? What are Paul George's measurements? Tracey McGrady's? Michael Jordan's? Klay Thompson? I could go on

My preference will always be to be bigger and more athletic at every position. We are already starting two players who are only average athletically in DLo and Kat, though DLo checks the size box at PG, Kat at the 5 does not. The beauty of discussion boards right? I will take a SF in the 6'8-6'9 range and PFs in the 6'10 plus range. Now, I get that Edwards might have to play the SF, but he shouldn't. I like Rosas, and I will give him time to build as I think he has made some great moves so far. However, just draft and sign people to the positions they play.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#26 » by Norseman79 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:21 pm

If I were personally going to set the top ten depth chart right now:

Russell, Rubio
Edwards, Beasley
Vanderbilt, Culver/Okoge
Hernangomez, McDaniels
Towns, Reid
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#27 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:

And? What are Paul George's measurements? Tracey McGrady's? Michael Jordan's? Klay Thompson? I could go on

My preference will always be to be bigger and more athletic at every position. We are already starting two players who are only average athletically in DLo and Kat, though DLo checks the size box at PG, Kat at the 5 does not. The beauty of discussion boards right? I will take a SF in the 6'8-6'9 range and PFs in the 6'10 plus range. Now, I get that Edwards might have to play the SF, but he shouldn't. I like Rosas, and I will give him time to build as I think he has made some great moves so far. However, just draft and sign people to the positions they play.

Edwards is bigger than Jordan and Klay. He will be bigger than the majority of SFs he plays against. I'm confident I'm taking the right approach because I've got you on one side arguing he should only play SG and another saying he should play PF.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,981

Post#28 » by wolves_89 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:40 pm

My guess at the minutes distribution to start the year (assumes Hernangomez is re-signed):

PG: Rubio (28)/Russell (20)
SG: Russell (12)/Beasley (28)/Okogie (8)
SF: Culver (24)/Edwards (16)/Okogie (8)
PF: Hernangomez (24)/Layman(16)/Vanderbilt(8)
C: Towns(32)/Reid(16)

I expect Edwards and possibly Vanderbilt's minutes to increase as the year goes on. A big factor in who gets minutes will be whether Culver and/or Okogie has improved their shooting. I also expect one of Culver/Beasley/Okogie to get traded at some point.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#29 » by MN7725 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 pm

wolves_89 wrote:My guess at the minutes distribution to start the year (assumes Hernangomez is re-signed):

I expect Edwards and possibly Vanderbilt's minutes to increase as the year goes on. A big factor in who gets minutes will be whether Culver and/or Okogie has improved their shooting. I also expect one of Culver/Beasley/Okogie to get traded at some point.

About what I expect and hope

I've always said I hope Wolves take the Jaylen Brown-Celtics approach to Edwards if they draft him
initially more of a limited role-player duties to begin with to break the bad habits from college
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,981

Post#30 » by wolves_89 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm

MN7725 wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:My guess at the minutes distribution to start the year (assumes Hernangomez is re-signed):

I've always said I hope Wolves take the Jaylen Brown-Celtics approach to Edwards if they draft him
initially more of a limited role-player duties to begin with to break the bad habits from college

Yeah, Edwards needs to be integrated slowly. He turned 19 a few months ago, so he is really young. Plus, in a typical off-season he would have had 4 months to learn the system and develop a professional routine. With the current situation he basically has a week until training camp opens. Rookies almost always struggle to start their first year, but this season I think it's going to be much worse across the league.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#31 » by minimus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:

Yeah, Edwards needs to be integrated slowly. He turned 19 a few months ago, so he is really young. Plus, in a typical off-season he would have had 4 months to learn the system and develop a professional routine. With the current situation he basically has a week until training camp opens. Rookies almost always struggle to start their first year, but this season I think it's going to be much worse across the league.

I hope they will translate open practice with 5vs5. Imagine a rookie Edwards who is 6'6", 230lbs and 42-inch vertical, trying to annihilate DLo, Rubio, Beasley, Okogie, Culver in practice. :lol:
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#32 » by theGreatRC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:29 pm

I think Ryan will start a two PG back court with Rubio/DLO & Edwards at the 3..

Then sub out DLO first for Beas at the 2..

Then DLO comes in for Ricky minutes later to close the first quarter and run with the second unit to start 2nd quarters.

Even if It's DLO/Beasley starting, I still think Edwards is going to play 3 in his rookie year. In this day of basketball, it doesn't even matter anymore, as long as you can guard the player you're matched up against..new era of basketball where SG's are playing SF/PF now if they're strong enough
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#33 » by Wolves21 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Depends on if they play Edwards at SG or SF.To me ideally he's a SG and should get the starting nod along side Russell in the back court.Having Rubio/Beasley off the bench give the Wolves a hell of a bench that has one of the better gaurd combos coming off the bench and I think their playing styles will mess well together.Also this was it always keeps a play maker and scoring threat in the back court threwout the entire game.

If Edwards struggles over time then I would make the move of starting Rubio along side Russell and then moving Edwards to the bench along side Beasley.But Edwards being the #1 pick and clearly one of our top three players on the team along side Towns & D'Lo should get every chance possible to start and play serious minutes as he learns on the fly in this league.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves