ImageImageImage

Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,313

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#61 » by Red2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:07 pm

MJ overpaid. Hayward does not make charlotte a contender and now they are maxed out. There’s a chance that Hayward was taking the charlotte deal even if Danny had accepted Indiana’s proposal. And for what it’s worth only the Celtics and pacers manager actually know what the negotiations were. So we at least owe Danny the opportunity to explain what happened. The way its been reported it sure seems like he blew it. And come on the heels of both al and Kyrie leaving for nothing, this is really bad. You hate to waste years where tatum and brown are productive but I almost feel that we need to take a step back and position ourselves for next year and beyond. Let’s not reach for a bad deal right now. At least turner filled a need. Now we don’t even get that.I also think the question has to be asked why guys are leaving boston. Is it Ainge,is it brad or is it something else? It. Could be as simple as money which gets to another question that needs to be asked which is whether Wyc and Steve are really willing to spend. They say they are but recent enevts don’t back that up. I’m not suggesting we should have offered what charlotte did; that was absurd. But maybe if we had been more reasonable with Al and Gordon they would still be here. I’m not unhappy he’’s gone but I hate seeing him walk out the door for nothing
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#62 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Danny needs to go, just to send a statement.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Setshot33
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,535

Post#63 » by Setshot33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Umm, why would anyone want Al here? Dude is washed and Danny rightfully didn't pay for a big way past his prime.
" But the best thing to do is just win"- Red Auerbach
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#64 » by amory87 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:20 pm

I do think it could be time for a change. He's been a solid GM for many years but the job isn't his by birthright. There has to be some expectations to live up to or what are we doing here
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,835

Post#65 » by Live Free » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:lets not overreact
MJ just paid Gordon $40,000,000 a year for a guy that hasn't even played a full season for the past 3 years. Its a MASSIVE overpay and will look horrible in a years time and will be a joke in the final two years when he is limping around.

Yet he demanded turner/dipo + mcdermott for Gordon and got nothing .. matter fact Danny's greed is what probably upped the ante on hornets overpaying.. kyrie horford Hayward gone with nothing to show for it .. tuff
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#66 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Live Free wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:lets not overreact
MJ just paid Gordon $40,000,000 a year for a guy that hasn't even played a full season for the past 3 years. Its a MASSIVE overpay and will look horrible in a years time and will be a joke in the final two years when he is limping around.

Yet he demanded turner/dipo + mcdermott for Gordon and got nothing .. matter fact Danny's greed is what probably upped the ante on hornets overpaying.. kyrie horford Hayward gone with nothing to show for it .. tuff

I’d be overtly interested in other teams if I was paying Siakam, FVV, and Lowry over 70 million a season, too.

Sadly, nobody here cares about your opinion.
outcry
Freshman
And1: 95

Post#67 » by outcry » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:37 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:2013
Year 1 of the rebuild after losing the Big Three. Takes Olynyk over Giannis or Gobert
takes James Young over Bogdan, Jokic, Grant, Capela and Dinwiddie
fake roster crunch so he drafts and stashes Yabusele and Zizic instead of drafting Dejounte, LeVert, Siakam or Brogdon
trades for disgruntled head case Kyrie rental that costs us the #8 pick in the 2018 draft (SGA or MPJ)
signs Kemba lmao
takes Langford over Sekou, Samanic
trades out of #20 instead of taking Clarke
takes Grant Williams over Bazley
takes Carsen Edwards over Bol, Roby, Paschall
trades #30 pick instead of taking Robert Woodard II or Tyler Bey who would be Hayward replacement

Ainge has BEEN bad. Imagine if he didn't get a clueless Russian owner to hand him that Nets haul? There'd have been no Jaylen and no Tatum. He's not good folks. Of course he needs to go. He's always been a disastrous drafter but now even his trades have fallen off. We're a treadmill team that might very well lose Tatum because of his ineptitude. But as long as he has fans defending him and an owner happy to fill sits and not delve into the luxury tax he's seemingly here for life.

I’ve honestly never seen so much hindsight is 20/20 jam packed in one post. Jesus. Congrats on that, man.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#68 » by Asian Celtic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:52 pm

**** ainge
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#69 » by KL78192020 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:52 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I'm sure there was a market for Kyrie, but it would be extremely limited. And to trade the starting point guard, who is your best player, for a first round pick (to a contending team, so like the 25th pick), I'm sure Ainge would have been lauded for that, right? 35-19, just won five games, looking to compete in the playoffs and he trades the starting star PG to the...wait which teams want to trade for 25 games of Kyrie Irving?

Who are the three guys with hugely positive value? Horford got 109 million and he is washed now. And they even got Kemba out of his leaving, so what is the problem? Kemba is obviously better than Horford. Hayward is gone and we don't even know yet what that will allow the Celtics to do yet. Irving leaving is unfortunate, but I seriously don't know in what universe they could have extracted value from him. They got him for a bag of balls and Collin Sexton.

Yea people need to look at Horford as a trade for Kemba.
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,734

Post#70 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm

Owners need to be more strict on Danny ..
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#71 » by KL78192020 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 pm

I think Ainge's misses are not getting guys like Butler/George/AD in trades. High risk moves because those guys could easily leave as well but I think the Celtics could've got one Championship with those guys. All three of those guys are better than the free agents he got in Kemba/Horford/Hayward, obviously key word being "free" there though.

The Kyrie trade was actually a great trade, IT was trash at the point and only gave up 1 decent pick for him. He definitely needs help drafting later in the 1st round, maybe hire better scouts. Hasn't had any luck out of non lotto picks.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#72 » by ddb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Might be time to bring Sam Presti home.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#73 » by AgentGreen » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 pm

Ainge is a great GM. But since he got the big 3 and after he fleeced Billy King he started to become even more aggressive. He never compromises in trades, sometimes you have to take a little hit in a trade for the better of your team.

You have to realise that when you school GM's other GM's in the future will try to school you and he fell for it.

It's not like Hayward was a huge contributor on this team whoms production will be easily replaced. We just missed out on his value we could've shopped unfortunately. Ainge shot himself in the foot, plain and simple.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#74 » by AKFO » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 pm

All this because because we didn't get Myles Turner :lol:
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#75 » by ddb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:06 pm

AKFO wrote:All this because because we didn't get Myles Turner :lol:

Yeah we need to see what he does. Off-season isn’t over. Can’t just trust what you read in the media. However, for the first time in a long time I am seriously questioning Danny. This team today is not as good as the team that lost to Miami.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#76 » by Scoonie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Why did they trade Kanter if they weren’t guaranteed to get Myles Turner?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#77 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:12 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:2013
Year 1 of the rebuild after losing the Big Three. Takes Olynyk over Giannis or Gobert
takes James Young over Bogdan, Jokic, Grant, Capela and Dinwiddie
fake roster crunch so he drafts and stashes Yabusele and Zizic instead of drafting Dejounte, LeVert, Siakam or Brogdon
trades for disgruntled head case Kyrie rental that costs us the #8 pick in the 2018 draft (SGA or MPJ)
signs Kemba lmao
takes Langford over Sekou, Samanic
trades out of #20 instead of taking Clarke
takes Grant Williams over Bazley
takes Carsen Edwards over Bol, Roby, Paschall
trades #30 pick instead of taking Robert Woodard II or Tyler Bey who would be Hayward replacement

Ainge has BEEN bad. Imagine if he didn't get a clueless Russian owner to hand him that Nets haul? There'd have been no Jaylen and no Tatum. He's not good folks. Of course he needs to go. He's always been a disastrous drafter but now even his trades have fallen off. We're a treadmill team that might very well lose Tatum because of his ineptitude. But as long as he has fans defending him and an owner happy to fill sits and not delve into the luxury tax he's seemingly here for life.

Being a draft genius in hindsight is easy. I invite you for the second time (but I know you'll chicken out again) to participate here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2019003
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#78 » by CelticsLV » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:16 pm

ddb wrote:
AKFO wrote:All this because because we didn't get Myles Turner :lol:

Yeah we need to see what he does. Off-season isn’t over. Can’t just trust what you read in the media. However, for the first time in a long time I am seriously questioning Danny. This team today is not as good as the team that lost to Miami.

It's the same god damn team. :lol: Hayward was walking corpse, Kanter was unplayable, Wanamaker was the only semi useful player. If anything, we added Nesmith, Pritchard. Plus might add something with those exceptions. The jury is out if the team will be better, but definitely not worse.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#79 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Danny screwed up on draft night by drafting Pritchard and then trading away #30 and selecting Yam at #47. I don't mind Nesmith.

I understand the Kanter trade, and we did get a trade exception on it so I don't hate THAT part of it but getting two second rounders for #30 is bad - especially when Memphis selects Desmond Bane with #30.

His overall drafting this year and last year was poor (Pritchard, Yam, Grant, and Carsen Edwards are inexcusable and I knew in all instances they were poor picks - Pritchard will be mediocre and Madar is ridiculous), the bench he constructed last year was subpar, and he really misjudged and messed up this Hayward situation. That is fair.

We should be thankful that in 2016 and 2017 he didn't draft the players that were the consensus players at #3 being Dragan Bender (Yes, he was the consensus at that spot) and at #1 Markelle Fultz (You'll get no revisionist history from me).

I do trust Gary Washburn, and if Turner and McBuckets were on the table and he passed that up that was a poor decision. He screwed that up badly.

Regardless of whether it was public knowledge or not that Charlotte were going to offer Hayward that absurd contract, as a GM you have to be plugged in and understand that the possibility was there and settle the deal with the Pacers.

I'm thankful he wasn't stupid enough to re-sign Horford (who is washed up and probably the worst contract in the league) but I do blame him for not reacting to the toxic locker room we had last year by just accepting it and trading Kyrie and Horford at the trade deadline last year. That's on him.

No one could have foreseen Kemba's knees becoming as big a concern as they are given that Kemba throughout his entire career before this season has been one of the most injury free players in the league. Im glad (and was at the time) he didn't trade for Kawhi or AD.

BUT Ainge has definitely had one of his worst weeks and one of his worst years as a GM (regardless of the overpaid Kemba signing). If he were to replicate his actions of the past year over the long term I'd definitely be hoping he'd get fired. That's fair.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#80 » by CeltsfaninDC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:20 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Danny needs to go, just to send a statement.

YEAH, LET'S FiRE THE GUY THAT BUILT A TEAM THAT WENT TO THE ECF TWICE IN 3 YEARS AND HAS A CORE INCLUDING A TOP 10 GUY HE DRAFTED AND TWO TEAMS PASSED ON. WHAT VLADE DOING? GET HIM ON THE PHONE STAT

Return to Boston Celtics