[Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#81 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Cklbmk wrote:I'm loving it.

Now Spurs have a far easier path to getting Batum. Still love his fit for a year or 2 until Keldon and Vassell are both ready for the rotation

he gave absolutely zero **** playing on a clearly rebuilding team, so uhh good luck
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#82 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:59 pm

You guys (Hornets fans) are embarrassing me. Celtics are going nowhere without Hayward. And if I have to have one guy making real money long term helping us reach the salary floor I'm going with a player who makes everyone around him better rather than someone trying to get his and damn the other players. Rebuilding means you build on the past season. You get better. You improve and show players you're committed to improvement, more wins. We should be drafting in a worse position than we did this year before our lotto luck. Pick 9 or 10. Kupchak can do damage there. Cry about it.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#83 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm

R-DAWG wrote:If it's true that Boston could have gotten Myles Turner and Doug McDermott in a sign and trade for Hayward, and lost that opportunity because they overplayed their hand and tried to get Oladipo or Warren included, that's a HUGE blown opportunity.

At the end of the day, the Charlotte money might have been too much to match, but losing Hayward for nothing when you could have had a 24 year old strtech 5 that is a great rim protector on a good contract that's a tough pill to swallow.

Pacers are welcome to revisit trade talks with us at the deadline, as we were the other team after Turner. I'm not sure what the Pacers were asking. I'm assuming PJ Washington. We can obviously work out a deal without him now because we have Hayward.
It has been written...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#84 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:04 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:If it's true that Boston could have gotten Myles Turner and Doug McDermott in a sign and trade for Hayward, and lost that opportunity because they overplayed their hand and tried to get Oladipo or Warren included, that's a HUGE blown opportunity.

At the end of the day, the Charlotte money might have been too much to match, but losing Hayward for nothing when you could have had a 24 year old strtech 5 that is a great rim protector on a good contract that's a tough pill to swallow.

Pacers are welcome to revisit trade talks with us at the deadline, as we were the other team after Turner. I'm not sure what the Pacers were asking. I'm assuming PJ Washington. We can obviously work out a deal without him now because we have Hayward.

At $30m, it’s much harder to make the numbers work.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:05 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Now Spurs have a far easier path to getting Batum. Still love his fit for a year or 2 until Keldon and Vassell are both ready for the rotation

he gave absolutely zero **** playing on a clearly rebuilding team, so uhh good luck

You should absolutely encourage this and get SA to pay $10m to essentially erase your payment to Batum this year :wink:
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#86 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Excluding Hayward, maybe the Hornets final offer for Turner was runner-up to Hayward before Ainge got greedy. I don't think we burned any bridges. You'd need to send us Turner, Lamb, McDermott and Leaf.
It has been written...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Excluding Hayward, maybe the Hornets final offer for Turner was runner-up to Hayward before Ainge got greedy. I don't think we burned any bridges. You'd need to send us Turner, Lamb, McDermott and Leaf.

Nope.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#88 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:22 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

To be fair, the exact same thing was said about Boris Diaw before the Spurs got him.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#89 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Nope.

Yeah it doesn't work. I'm thinking we send Rozier somewhere for our center. We tried to sign Harrell so perhaps we walked away from the Turner talks due to an unbridgeable gap.
It has been written...
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#90 » by pacers33granger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 pm

Charlotte seems to have learned absolutely nothing from the Batum contract. Once it's finally about to be over, they go and give the same amount of money to clog their cap for another 4 years with a non-star level wing who is aging and has injury concerns. And then inexplicably stretch Batum's money to keep it on their cap sheet for several more years.

This, combined with the worst of the top prospects being the one left at 3 (who also doesn't fit with their best players) has lead to an offseason that could screw Charlotte for years. People gave Kupchak the benefit of the doubt in LA saying it was Jim who wanted the Mozgov/Deng deals, but Kupchak has done the exact same in Charlotte.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Nope.

Yeah it doesn't work. I'm thinking we send Rozier somewhere for our center. We tried to sign Harrell so perhaps we walked away from the Turner talks due to an unbridgeable gap.

Oh. We haven’t heard anything about Myles being available in trade this offseason. The Hayward was the only reference. Are you saying Charlotte was negotiating for him this offseason?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#92 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Not saying it's a great deal to do, but I expect Hayward to be in alls tar discussion next year. He'll be 20/5/5
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#93 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:You guys (Hornets fans) are embarrassing me. Celtics are going nowhere without Hayward. And if I have to have one guy making real money long term helping us reach the salary floor I'm going with a player who makes everyone around him better rather than someone trying to get his and damn the other players. Rebuilding means you build on the past season. You get better. You improve and show players you're committed to improvement, more wins. We should be drafting in a worse position than we did this year before our lotto luck. Pick 9 or 10. Kupchak can do damage there. Cry about it.

I disagree that Boston is going no where without Hayward. We've made 2 ECF runs in his 3 years and he contributed basically nothing to them. I was hoping he'd come back because I think he's a great fit and a great player, but Hayward contributing to Boston is more a theory than reality based on his tenure went. It just is. He played one healthy playoff game (he was a shell of himself once he came back vs MIA). I don't fault him or look back and think we shouldn't have signed him based on what the situation was, but he basically gave us nothing. We got some good regular season play this year. That's it.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#94 » by pacers33granger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Not saying it's a great deal to do, but I expect Hayward to be in alls tar discussion next year. He'll be 20/5/5
If he can stay healthy. But I don't think that's an all star caliber season if it's on a team outside of the playoff picture anyways. Beal didn't make it due to team record and had a much better season than anyone could reasonably see Hayward having.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,483

Post#95 » by Wolveswin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm

You know we are all thinking it:

Batum + Zeller + Ball (rights) + PJ + Bridges + 2022
1st + 2024 1st

FOR

Harden + Tucker + House + McLemore
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#96 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:28 pm

Wolveswin wrote:You know we are all thinking it:

1st + 2024 1st

FOR

Resulting roster is...

Graham/Monk
Harden/Rozier/McLemore
Hayward/House/Martin/Martin
Tucker/McDaniels
Carey/Richards (both 2nd round rookies)

idk where this gets us but clearly this team's FO is too focused on the short term and they would do this. Harden/Graham/Hayward is a really interesting dynamic trio but without any frontcourt help, that's not contending. I'd insist on slapping some top 7 protection on that 2024 1st just to safeguard against Harden leaving in 2022 or 2023 if I was going this route. I don't like punting the young core, but I don't think we're trading any future stars here, so I'd do it. The Hornets fans that like Ball will come and slap you for this though
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,483

Post#97 » by Wolveswin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:31 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

1st + 2024 1st

FOR

Resulting roster is...

Graham/Monk
Harden/Rozier/McLemore
Tucker/McDaniels

idk where this gets us but clearly this team's FO is too focused on the short term and they would do this. Harden/Graham/Hayward is a really interesting dynamic trio but without any frontcourt help, that's not contending. I'd insist on slapping some top 7 protection on that 2024 1st just to safeguard against Harden leaving in 2022 or 2023 if I was going this route. I don't like punting the young core, but I don't think we're trading any future stars here, so I'd do it. The Hornets fans that like Ball will come and slap you for this though

Still plenty of vet bigs to sign. Not a problem there.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#98 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:33 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

1st + 2024 1st

FOR

Resulting roster is...

Graham/Monk
Harden/Rozier/McLemore
Tucker/McDaniels

Still plenty of vet bigs to sign. Not a problem there.

Think Ibaka would join on the MLE? I really like that starting five then
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#99 » by Mykhyn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

To be fair, the exact same thing was said about Boris Diaw before the Spurs got him.

And Batum happens to be BFFs with Diaw and Tony Parker

I can completely see him becoming a useful 3 and D guy to soak some SF minutes
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#100 » by Mykhyn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

You should absolutely encourage this and get SA to pay $10m to essentially erase your payment to Batum this year :wink:

I'd be surprised if we needed to use MLE but I could completely see us grabbing him at the min

Return to Trades and Transactions