[Haynes] Tristan Thompson to Boston

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

[Haynes] Tristan Thompson to Boston 

Post#1 » by Andre Roberstan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ainge drops the MLE on a center.

Guess he must have learned to shoot.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,496

Re: [Haynes] Tristan Thompson to Boston 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:02 am

smh there goes my hope of a S&T with Zeller and a $15M TPE going back to Boston, and not having to stretch Batum
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#3 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:smh there goes my hope of a S&T with Zeller and a $15M TPE going back to Boston, and not having to stretch Batum

We could still do that and stay under the tax. I imagine it would just have to be a 3 way where we move him somewhere else for a different player. But that's the same thing on your end.

I have no idea how Boston is going to put together a competent bench so I'm all ears to anything haha
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:smh there goes my hope of a S&T with Zeller and a $15M TPE going back to Boston, and not having to stretch Batum
Ainge might take back Rozier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 am

I like TT, and the Celts needed size. (Thought maybe we'd see Baynes come back, but maybe the Suns are going to stay over the cap and use Bird rights to outbid everyone.)
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#6 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:10 am

Understandable damage control move. Just absolutely had to find some bigman depth. There are better ways this could have gone, but TT will be relatively worry-free depth for two years.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 am

I liked him in Dallas playing alongside Zinger. He'll be okay in small ball lineups with Tatum at the 4, but I wanted to see him alongside another big who could stretch the floor and protect the rim.

Boston definitely upgraded their offensive rebounding though.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,496

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Ainge might take back Rozier.

I would be totally ok with this
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,377

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:34 am

He learn to shoot?

I don’t mind it though. Was clearly a need and they were running out of FA’s to try.

Ainge really should make some sign and trade with Charlotte though. Just a waste of asset and Charlotte should definitely pay something to not stretch Batum..
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#10 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:37 am

I like Thompson as a rebounder and enforcer. He destroys the Hawks on the offensive glass. For the price, he is hard to beat.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#11 » by Laimbeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:41 am

A bit pricey, but it's aight.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,377

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:42 am

How much would Cleveland want to pay Zeller? Clearly he makes no sense there but how much would they demand?

TT to Boston
Hayward to Char
Zeller to Cle

Ainge keeps his MLE and creates a 20 million dollar TPE. That should be worth something? Charlotte doesn’t stretch Batum. That should be worth something?

Does Cleveland do it for a couple 2nds from each team and cash from MJ? Don’t think Terry makes any sense in Cleveland but maybe use him instead of Zeller as Cleveland could look to flip Terry?

Normally I’d say this is unrealistic, the last few days though..
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,330

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:12 am

Just too much money here. He's never closing games and not sure I wouldn't just play the Williams brothers honestly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Just too much money here. He's never closing games and not sure I wouldn't just play the Williams brothers honestly.
You pay a little extra for what TT brings in the post season.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,330

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:23 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Just too much money here. He's never closing games and not sure I wouldn't just play the Williams brothers honestly.

I don't know that a ton of offensive rebounding is available when Lebron, Love, and Kyrie aren't in the game. He didn't do anything else of note in the playoffs. All his advanced metrics are poor, particularly his defense.

In a world where Dwight Howard is a vet min and JaVale McGee makes 40% as much it's just too much money. And the Celtics now have several centers and not one of them can space the floor. I don't understand this lack of flexibility.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#16 » by patman66 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 am

About the same price as they paid for Kanter and Porier last year. I don't like it though, they must have been rebuffed by Ibaka. Hopefully it is a 1 and 1 deal.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't know that a ton of offensive rebounding is available when Lebron, Love, and Kyrie aren't in the game. He didn't do anything else of note in the playoffs. All his advanced metrics are poor, particularly his defense.

In a world where Dwight Howard is a vet min and JaVale McGee makes 40% as much it's just too much money. And the Celtics now have several centers and not one of them can space the floor. I don't understand this lack of flexibility.
His ability to switch out on the perimeter in tight games, particularly on legit SFs, is underrated. Whatever his PNR stats are with Sexton and/or Garland, just disregard them. Seriously.

He struggles against true bigs and doesn't offer the rim protection you want as a help defender.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#18 » by cl2117 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 am

I'm happy with this. It at least stops the bleeding. It's too much money, but it's manageable (hopefully 2nd year has an option on it).

I was down to Ibaka, Baynes and TT on my list for legit big-men for the C's and TT was at the bottom of the list, but he might have been the only one attainable. I can live with this since he could be our day 1 starter and worst case is still a moveable contract for upgrades later.

C's were absolutely manhandled on the boards regularly for the last several years, often by TT himself. I think he's going to add a good bit of value just in stopping runs and settling things down. I'm not expecting much offense or and just passable defense, but I think that could still be a double-double. He's a solid vet as well. Theis is a vet in terms of experience, but it's only his third year in the league and the other bigs are all on rookie scale. I think it rounds it out nicely despite his narrow skillset.

It's honestly a pretty big punch in the gut after thinking that Turner could be coming to Boston, but it's not the end of the world. Plenty of guys I'd rather have, but due to the Hayward situation C's were behind the 8-ball. I'll take what we can get.

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Brad Stevens thinks Theis can stretch the floor (he at least gives him the green light to attempt to). And I think we'll see a decent amount of super-small-ball with Grant Williams at the 5 this season as well. And god-willing, plenty of Tacko time.

TT really doesn't fit Brad's style of big, but beggars can't be choosers. And TT is only 29, I know I've seen some Cavs fans say that he's already breaking down, but he's gonna land the MLE and I'm accepting that even if it's an overpayment. Celtics needed to do something, this offseason has been rough far.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#19 » by patman66 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 am

I think he will, Robert started getting min late and in the bubble. So far he has been injured too much to be counted on and of course being injured and not playing practicing has hampered his development. but you can't go into a season with him as a player your planning to give 24 min to.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#20 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Tristain Thompson is a very good player - solid not spectacular - but knows his role, doesn't try to do to much, and plays hard.

Was he ever worth the contract he got in Cleveland, no. But don't hold that against him. Is he a little undersized, yes. But you can do a lot worse than TT as your starting C. We can all sit back and say we would prefer Ibaka - but him going to the Clippers might have meant it wasn't an option.

Return to Trades and Transactions