ImageImageImage

Welcome Seth Curry

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,794

Re: Welcome Seth Curry 

Post#21 » by HotelVitale » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 am

There's a good set of full play vids on Curry from last year if you want to get a sense of his game (they're quick but way way better for that than watching highlights). Good way to spend 10-15 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=seth+curry+full+play

My main takeaway is that we are going to love the dude on offense...and also need to invent some kind of drinking game to distract us whenever he's guarding a quick guard. (Also, I'm I the only one who watches these? I feel like I pull them up at least once per week to check on players for arguments on realgm, but the vids never seems to have more than a couple hundred views.)
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,132

Post#22 » by Arsenal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am

HotelVitale wrote:There's a good set of full play vids on Curry from last year if you want to get a sense of his game (they're quick but way way better for that than watching highlights). Good way to spend 10-15 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=seth+curry+full+play

My main takeaway is that we are going to love the dude on offense...and also need to invent some kind of drinking game to distract us whenever he's guarding a quick guard. (Also, I'm I the only one who watches these? I feel like I pull them up at least once per week to check on players for arguments on realgm, but the vids never seems to have more than a couple hundred views.)

I'm sorry, but the defensive concerns are overblown. We'll have Embiid + Simmons + Green or Thybulle on the court w/him.

All the other great teams get away with playing defensive liabilities, we shouldn't we?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#23 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:05 am

HotelVitale wrote:There's a good set of full play vids on Curry from last year if you want to get a sense of his game (they're quick but way way better for that than watching highlights). Good way to spend 10-15 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=seth+curry+full+play

They're nice, but you have you checked out what they've got in the stats section of NBA.com? Basically they have 10 second clips of every shot attempt from every player in the league, going back to 2015!
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#24 » by HotelVitale » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 am

sixerswillrule wrote:
They're nice, but you have you checked out what they've got in the stats section of NBA.com? Basically they have 10 second clips of every shot attempt from every player in the league, going back to 2015!
Thanks, hadn't seen that yet. Just looked it up and couldn't get it to work quite like that (it was only showing the whole team's FGs, 3s, rebounds, etc) but should be a cool tool. The full play vids show defensive plays, assists, etc, and you can roll a whole game at once, easier for me to get a quick sense of someone's current game.

Arsenal wrote: I'm sorry, but the defensive concerns are overblown. We'll have Embiid + Simmons + Green or Thybulle on the court w/him. All the other great teams get away with playing defensive liabilities, we shouldn't we?
I'm not trying to flame him--v excited for him overall--but he gets legit roasted by quick guards. Looks like Brad Lohaus guarding Tim Hardaway in NBA Jam a lot of times. No reason not to acknowledge that.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#25 » by Black Mage » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 am

76ciology wrote:Seth was traded because Clips attacked him relentlessly when he’s on the court.

I think you can hide him. And I think Mavs were able to do that with his high on vs off NetRtg.

I think the issue is you can’t have Seth and Doncic both at the same time because both are liabilities and you’d prefer one of them to defend the PG. Mavs would prefer Luka defending a guy like Beverly over Kawhi.

I think you're putting a bit much into that. They likely traded him for 2 reasons:

1. They needed a defensive minded guard; and

2. He became expendable after they drafted Terry who is essentially a Curry clone. Honestly, given the frequency of small guards to flame out, I'd have preferred keeping the one with a track record as a shooter already in the NBA than to gamble on a rookie.

I don't think the decision to dump him was simply because of the playoffs.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#26 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 am

Seth is a 30 year old journeyman who is a 1-trick pony. Some team offered them a premier Top 40 2nd rounder and an expiring contract and they jumped at the opportunity. Seth has no real value. Don't know what Daryl is thinking here.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,111

Post#27 » by eyeatoma » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 am

Kobblehead wrote:Seth is a 30 year old journeyman who is a 1-trick pony. Some team offered them a premier Top 40 2nd rounder and an expiring contract and they jumped at the opportunity. Seth has no real value. Don't know what Daryl is thinking here.
Honestly, I think I trust his judgement more than yours lol.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#28 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 am

eyeatoma wrote:Honestly, I think I trust his judgement more than yours lol.

You're making a mistake, sir. I'm way better than Daryl.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,111

Post#29 » by eyeatoma » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 am

Kobblehead wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Honestly, I think I trust his judgement more than yours lol.

You're making a mistake, sir. I'm way better than Daryl.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#30 » by TTP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:40 am

Kobblehead wrote:Seth is a 30 year old journeyman who is a 1-trick pony. Some team offered them a premier Top 40 2nd rounder and an expiring contract and they jumped at the opportunity. Seth has no real value. Don't know what Daryl is thinking here.

Counterargument: Seth was a critical part of some extremely productive lineups last season, even lineups when Luka was off the court.

- The Mavericks offense last season was the most efficient in NBA history with a 116.7 ORTG (also +5.0 net)

- Curry lineups without Luka had an ORTG of 114.6, which still would have led the league (+4.3 net)

How well a player can integrate into a team unit matters more than anything and we have plenty of evidence of Curry being a part of some seriously good units across several different teams. His "1-trick" is that he's one of the best 3 point shooters in NBA history and he can stretch the floor even beyond the 3 point line. His skillset also complements both Simmons and Embiid extremely well.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,510

Post#31 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 am

I had time to think about your sentiment about the importance of defense.

I feel like if you want two way guys, given our limited assets, you can only get guys like Al and Jrich. Those two are two way and can shoot. You also mention guys like Winslow and etc.

But the problem is, I think if you want to surround good complimentary players for Biid and Ben. They shouldnt just be able to shoot. But they should be able to REALLY shoot.

A good example was our 2017-2018 team or the 2019-2020 Heat squads. Where both squads were surrounded by (bot all) one dimensional shooters who played an integral part on the offense.

Having guys who can really shoot and play defense is really expensive. This is why Danny Green was paid $15M per year. And the trend now is teams are trending towards more of team defense than individual defense, with the increase usage of zone defense. This is why we’re seeing guys like Joe Harris getting overpaid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#32 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Thanks, hadn't seen that yet. Just looked it up and couldn't get it to work quite like that (it was only showing the whole team's FGs, 3s, rebounds, etc) but should be a cool tool. The full play vids show defensive plays, assists, etc, and you can roll a whole game at once, easier for me to get a quick sense of someone's current game.

I believe they have clips of other stat categories but I mainly use it for the shot attempts.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?PerMode=Totals&sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1

Click on the FGA number for any player.

Right now that's taking you to all of the FGA for that player's team (not sure why, it used to just take you straight to the player), but then just click on advanced filters and then add custom filter. You can pick the player and then all his FGA for the whole season will roll at once. But you can further narrow it down by adding another filter with the game date, play type (jump shot, floater, hook shot, etc), made or missed, etc.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#33 » by HotelVitale » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:55 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote: They're nice, but you have you checked out what they've got in the stats section of NBA.com? Basically they have 10 second clips of every shot attempt from every player in the league, going back to 2015!
I believe they have clips of other stat categories but I mainly use it for the shot attempts. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?PerMode=Totals&sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1 Click on the FGA number for any player. Right now that's taking you to all of the FGA for that player's team (not sure why, it used to just take you straight to the player), but then just click on advanced filters and then add custom filter. You can pick the player and then all his FGA for the whole season will roll at once. But you can further narrow it down by adding another filter with the game date, play type (jump shot, floater, hook shot, etc), made or missed, etc.

Ah okay, I was clicking on the video stats on the individual game box scores, maybe the default is set to whole team for that. This still seems like way too much info at one go, don't need to see an hour reel of every 3pointer someone made. Prefer 3 games, 10 minutes, and two clicks for my 'do I remember this guy right?' checks. I'm usually arguing with middle schoolers on the general board (or it feels like it) so it doesn't need to be that deep.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#34 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:31 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Thanks, hadn't seen that yet. Just looked it up and couldn't get it to work quite like that (it was only showing the whole team's FGs, 3s, rebounds, etc) but should be a cool tool. The full play vids show defensive plays, assists, etc, and you can roll a whole game at once, easier for me to get a quick sense of someone's current game.
I believe they have clips of other stat categories but I mainly use it for the shot attempts. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?PerMode=Totals&sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1 Click on the FGA number for any player. Right now that's taking you to all of the FGA for that player's team (not sure why, it used to just take you straight to the player), but then just click on advanced filters and then add custom filter. You can pick the player and then all his FGA for the whole season will roll at once. But you can further narrow it down by adding another filter with the game date, play type (jump shot, floater, hook shot, etc), made or missed, etc.

Ah okay, I was clicking on the video stats on the individual game box scores, maybe the default is set to whole team for that. This still seems like way too much info at one go, don't need to see an hour reel of every 3pointer someone made. Prefer 3 games, 10 minutes, and two clicks for my 'do I remember this guy right?' checks. I'm usually arguing with middle schoolers on the general board (or it feels like it) so it doesn't need to be that deep.

Like I said you can narrow it down any way you want. You can pick any specific game and just watch the shots from that game.

It's cool because because of all the different filters and combinations. Want to see only shots Embiid took specifically from 14-16 feet last season? Boom, done. Want to see only 4th quarter driving layups from Tobias? Done.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#35 » by HotelVitale » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote: I believe they have clips of other stat categories but I mainly use it for the shot attempts. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?PerMode=Totals&sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1 Click on the FGA number for any player. Right now that's taking you to all of the FGA for that player's team (not sure why, it used to just take you straight to the player), but then just click on advanced filters and then add custom filter. You can pick the player and then all his FGA for the whole season will roll at once. But you can further narrow it down by adding another filter with the game date, play type (jump shot, floater, hook shot, etc), made or missed, etc.
Like I said you can narrow it down any way you want. You can pick any specific game and just watch the shots from that game. It's cool because because of all the different filters and combinations. Want to see only shots Embiid took specifically from 14-16 feet last season? Boom, done. Want to see only 4th quarter driving layups from Tobias? Done.

I got you, and I'll definitely keep it in mind. Vids are better resolution too. But like I said, I don't plan on writing bball research papers soon, my needs are mostly 'give me an accurate sense of a players general contributions/abilities in 5-10 minutes, and with minimal effort on my part.'
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#36 » by elchengue20 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Delete
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#37 » by elchengue20 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Statistically hes the best catch and shoot player in the history of the game, and we desesperately needed off ball shooting.So yeah, it isnt rocket science.

Plus, hes on a good deal for 3 more seasons.

Dallas needed defense, Luka is also a libaility. And they want to create cap space for 2021.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#38 » by agiaco » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm

I love the trade personally. The more I've thought about it, the more excited I get having an elite 3-point shooter back on the team. Plus despite some of Green's struggles, he's still a good shooter and solid defender that should help when they both start together. J-Rich wasn't a great fit.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,177

Post#39 » by M2J » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm

agiaco wrote:I love the trade personally. The more I've thought about it, the more excited I get having an elite 3-point shooter back on the team. Plus despite some of Green's struggles, he's still a good shooter and solid defender that should help when they both start together. J-Rich wasn't a great fit.

When you include the fact that Curry is locked in on a long term deal, when they would've probably let Richardson walk considering he may command $20+million a year... It's even better.

For that reason along with Curry's shooting, this board has speculated at that move since the bubble. So it didn't really come from no where.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,510

Post#40 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:16 pm

PnR
23% frequency
2.4 possessions per game
1.03 ppp

Almost same numbers of possessions per game and frequency with Milton (.90 ppp)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers