Potential Free Agent Signings

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Potential Free Agent Signings 

Post#261 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:34 am

pcbothwel wrote:
NatP4 wrote:That is a great move. Neto is a good player.

Yup. Grades out as a strong defender that understand pace/space, sees the floor well, and can score efficently. Better than Napier. Good signing.

He's not bad -- but I wouldn't grade him higher than Napier. Probably comes a little cheaper, however. So, sure, it's a good 1-year signing.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#262 » by NatP4 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 am

Much better defender than Napier
payitforward
RealGM

Post#263 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 am

How could tommy sign Robin Lopez over Nerlens Noel? I cannot understand this sequence of moves. Seem almost random to me.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#264 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 am

NatP4 wrote:Much better defender than Napier

Fair enough. Anyway I like the signing just fine -- unlike our inking Robin Lopez, which I find incomprehensible. Lopez managed 6.75 rebounds per 40 minutes last year.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#265 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 am

payitforward wrote:How could tommy sign Robin Lopez over Nerlens Noel? I cannot understand this sequence of moves. Seem almost random to me.

Again, Noel is represented by Wall's agent. And with LeBj as their prime client one of their mission statements and sales pitch to their clients seems to be that players ought to have more power over who they play for. So they operate in part via vendetta. No way would they shift a client to DC while Wall's situation is unresolved. Agents have egos too. That agency more than most.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#266 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 am

Nerlens Noel got a 1-year deal for $5m, doc. You think if we'd offered 3 years at $8m, Nerlens Noel would have passed it up? Because his agent represents Wall? What has John Wall done for Nerlens Noel that he'd be likely to throw away almost $20m more guaranteed $$ to show support?

More likely he'd fire his agent & get his new one to accept the offer.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#267 » by WallToWall » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:46 am

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:How could tommy sign Robin Lopez over Nerlens Noel? I cannot understand this sequence of moves. Seem almost random to me.

Again, Noel is represented by Wall's agent. And with LeBj as their prime client one of their mission statements and sales pitch to their clients seems to be that players ought to have more power over who they play for. So they operate in part via vendetta. No way would they shift a client to DC while Wall's situation is unresolved. Agents have egos too. That agency more than most.

Assuming Noel didn't tell the 'zards that he didnt want to be here, then the 'zards should have offered him the same $$ and deal as Lopez. Is Lopez > Noel? I dont think he is, but maybe Lopez offers more in the locker room than Noel (I'm speculating, I dont know).
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#268 » by likwitdesi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 am

I don't think this team was ever interested in Noel. Tommy has made it clear that he has a firm policy of no headcases.

https://thesixersense.com/2017/03/04/nba-rumors-nerlens-noel-locker-room-nuisance-mavericks/

It is clear to me, given all the 1 year deals, that Tommy is trying to create enough cap room as possible for Plan B in case Beal opts out. The only other long term deals he has on the books are Wall and Bertans. Trading Wall is probably going to bring back equivalent salaries on the same term but you will probably be able to move Bertans this year for an expiring or cap space to a contender if he plays well. You do also have Thomas Bryant at $8M a year but that should be easy to move as well

With just Bertans, Wall (or the return for him) and rookie contracts, you'll be able to take on some bad contracts in exchange for picks next offseason like OKC has done and is going to continue to do. It's also why it made sense to take Avdija over Haliburton. He has a higher ceiling and better potential to be a star
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#269 » by Kanyewest » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 am

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#270 » by gambitx777 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 am

Mathews signed his QOvdoes that mean he's a real team member now?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#271 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Mathews signed his QOvdoes that mean he's a real team member now?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

His QO is another two-way deal that carries a $50K guarantee.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/garrison-mathews-to-stay-with-wizards.html

Return to Washington Wizards