ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,790

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#141 » by Triple M » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:57 am

Allan Houston, an SEC project, is an interesting comparison. Nesmith's length is intriguing on both sides, and he should have enough athleticism to be a factor. The sembles of those baby hooks and his length makes me think he could post smaller guards. I'll look to see if there is anything worth watching there.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,495

Post#142 » by VeryMuchWoke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm

After a workout where Nesmith made 91/100 3s Stackhouse said "Those are Allen Houston numbers" but his comp for Nesmith is Khris Middleton:

“We compare him to Khris Middleton,’’ Stackhouse told Marc Berman of the New York Post in an email Sunday. “He’s perfect for the wing spot. He has the size. He has the strength and in addition to being a shooter, he is dedicated to the defensive side as well.”

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/aaron-nesmith-draws-all-star-comparison-from-jerry-stackhouse/
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#143 » by Writebloc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 pm

I really like this pick for the Celtics, he interviews at a high level and recognizes and takes responsibilities for his errors. People were saying that all he could do is shoot the three, but I definitely saw more potential than that, especially on the defensive side of the ball. One aspect to his game that I appreciate is his awareness of his role as a shooter and all of the tricks he's worked into his game to get open shots. He understood that he needs to work on his handle and his driving game to improve his offensive game, but he has a great understanding of his defensive stance and how to extend his frame to disrupt the offensive player's shots. Plus he seems to have an understanding of verticality and showed a real desire to be a rim defender. This guy looks like a player. To come away with this guy at 14 not trading up to acquire him as an asset in a relatively weak draft is great work by the Celtics.

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#144 » by Homerclease » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Allan Houston had one of the sweetest looking shots I’ve ever seen since I started watching basketball. Literally everything he took looked like it was going in. If Nesmith is even in his league then they hit a home run with this pick
Writebloc
Assistant Coach

Post#145 » by Writebloc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Alan Houston drafted 11th
JJ Redick drafted 11th
Danny Green drafted 46th
Klay Thompson drafted 11th
Khris Middleton drafted 39th

Aaron Nesmith drafted 14th, there's a path here for Nesmith to shine.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#146 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Pre achilles tear Wesley Matthews is my comp, he was a damn good player before that injury.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach

Post#147 » by Writebloc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:46 pm

The Comedian wrote:Pre achilles tear Wesley Matthews is my comp, he was a damn good player before that injury.

He went undrafted and was really starting to turn some heads in Portland before he tore his Achilles in 2015. He's a good comp, I think Nesmith is a more evolved shooter than Matthews was coming into the league, but I also think Matthews was a bit more athletic and explosive than Nesmith preinjury.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#148 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 am

Looks like he’ll have an opportunity for some big minutes right away. Just needs to earn the trust on defense and park in the corner lol
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#149 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:05 am

VeryMuchWoke wrote:After a workout where Nesmith made 91/100 3s Stackhouse said "Those are Allen Houston numbers" but his comp for Nesmith is Khris Middleton:

“We compare him to Khris Middleton,’’ Stackhouse told Marc Berman of the New York Post in an email Sunday. “He’s perfect for the wing spot. He has the size. He has the strength and in addition to being a shooter, he is dedicated to the defensive side as well.”

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/aaron-nesmith-draws-all-star-comparison-from-jerry-stackhouse/

https://nesn.com/2020/11/jerry-stackhouse-aaron-nesmiths-college-coach-likens-celtics-draftee-to-nba-stars/
“I don’t think they have anyone on the team that shoots as well as he does,” Stackhouse said, as transcribed by WEEI.com. “You’re talking about a guy who if he takes 100 shots he’s going to make 90 of them spot-up shots. I’ve seen him go 50-for-50, taking five spots, 10 shots. Allan Houston, Ray Allen type of jumpers. They are getting that type of shooter, but more.”

“I kind of liken him to Allan Houston right now. A guy who can come off screens, come off pin-downs,” Stackhouse later indicated. “I don’t know if he had the greatest handle but he could get to where he needed to get to to make great space for himself. Defensively, probably middle tier right now with the ability to obviously improve there. Another guy I like is his homeboy from Charleston, Khris Middleton. I think they have a lot of similarities. They both shoot the ball at a high clip. Khris has shown the ability to post up as well as pick-and-roll and I think over time Aaron will be able to do some of those same things and still shoot the ball at a really high clip.

You were right, but so was I, and I was right first, so I am more right.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#150 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 am

Also against Issac Okoro in his final game against #5 Auburn(in which he got hurt) he put up 18 and 7 with 3 steals and 2 blocks on 50% shooting. Though Oloro dunked over him at one point he also stuffed Okoro on a drive. I am excited, with Hayward gone he can be a spark plug off the bench to start his career.

Here is an article with alot of great clips (positive and negative) of him

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/11/18/21563841/know-the-prospect-aaron-nesmith
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,495

Post#151 » by VeryMuchWoke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Spin Move wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:After a workout where Nesmith made 91/100 3s Stackhouse said "Those are Allen Houston numbers" but his comp for Nesmith is Khris Middleton:

https://nesn.com/2020/11/jerry-stackhouse-aaron-nesmiths-college-coach-likens-celtics-draftee-to-nba-stars/
“I don’t think they have anyone on the team that shoots as well as he does,” Stackhouse said, as transcribed by WEEI.com. “You’re talking about a guy who if he takes 100 shots he’s going to make 90 of them spot-up shots. I’ve seen him go 50-for-50, taking five spots, 10 shots. Allan Houston, Ray Allen type of jumpers. They are getting that type of shooter, but more.”

“I kind of liken him to Allan Houston right now. A guy who can come off screens, come off pin-downs,” Stackhouse later indicated. “I don’t know if he had the greatest handle but he could get to where he needed to get to to make great space for himself. Defensively, probably middle tier right now with the ability to obviously improve there. Another guy I like is his homeboy from Charleston, Khris Middleton. I think they have a lot of similarities. They both shoot the ball at a high clip. Khris has shown the ability to post up as well as pick-and-roll and I think over time Aaron will be able to do some of those same things and still shoot the ball at a really high clip.

You were right, but so was I, and I was right first, so I am more right.

Sounds like his floor is Allan Houston and with a bit of development he's Khris Middleton. I'm glad to hear we got an all star with the pick.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,952

Post#152 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Spin Move wrote:Also against Issac Okoro in his final game against #5 Auburn(in which he got hurt) he put up 18 and 7 with 3 steals and 2 blocks on 50% shooting. Though Oloro dunked over him at one point he also stuffed Okoro on a drive. I am excited, with Hayward gone he can be a spark plug off the bench to start his career.

Here is an article with alot of great clips (positive and negative) of him

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/11/18/21563841/know-the-prospect-aaron-nesmith

I hope he comes into camp gunning for a starting job between the Js. If he can hold up defensively he could feast off of open corner 3s, and let Marcus be our utility bench guy.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#153 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:56 am

I mean sucks losing Hayward but reality is we played all playoffs without him and he missed about 25 regular season games.

Now add a sniper like Nesmith to the mix off the bench and he’s a day 1 upgrade over the trash we were trotting out there lol.

He’s a true JJ/Duncan Robinson type shooter coming off pin downs and screens as a catch and shoot guy. Absolutely lethal
akidlittle
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#154 » by akidlittle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:57 am

Sometimes you look at a person and just feel that he can be special. Idk how to explain it, you're just feeling that this guy has IT. For example, if you'll show a stranger with zero basketball knowledge team photos with MJ or KG in em it's very likely that he'll correctly point out who's the boss here. Some people just have this aura. Two players from this draft trigger this feeling in me. James Wiseman and Aaron Nesmith.
My predictions on our young core based only on this kind of feeling:
Nesmith will become an all-star caliber player.
Grant will become a solid role player, valuable piece of the puzzle
Payton will become a low-key bench level PG
Timelord and Romeo will likely bust.
I might be completely wrong lol, these are just my gut feelings
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#155 » by flintsky21 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 am

Brad has never been historically big on giving rookies big minutes outright (Tatum is a rare exception), but I do hope he gives Nesmith at least consistent minutes right at get-go, even if he struggles with his shot early on. Confidence can be the biggest factor for pure shooters and you need consistent minutes to get that. Otherwise, we risk another Carsen Edwards situation.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,790

Post#156 » by Triple M » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:25 am

I think he has a chance to start day 1 and Marcus getting starting minutes
Writebloc
Assistant Coach

Post#157 » by Writebloc » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:57 am

flintsky21 wrote:Brad has never been historically big on giving rookies big minutes outright (Tatum is a rare exception), but I do hope he gives Nesmith at least consistent minutes right at get-go, even if he struggles with his shot early on. Confidence can be the biggest factor for pure shooters and you need consistent minutes to get that. Otherwise, we risk another Carsen Edwards situation.

I don't know if Brad's going to have a lot of options with losing Hayward and Romeo being injured. Regarding Aaron's confidence over Edwards - Nesmith has an NBA body so he less likely to get foot stomped like Carsen did when Edwards tried to take it to the rack. I'm sure, even though Carsen is a shooter that effected his mindset and his shooting.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#158 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, but even if they have, it is still worth repeating- Nesmith's girl is hot!!
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,190

Post#159 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,952

Post#160 » by 31to6 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good opportunity for the local media to see what the new rookies think of Thanksgiving ;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics