ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers roster, what's next?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#541 » by nickhx2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 am

so this leaves us with the BAE and considering ibaka took a bit of a haircut (300k each year for 600k total, correct?) we'll be under hard cap even after using the BAE.

find a way to add hill and this team will be awesome.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#542 » by Clemenza » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 am

Now you guys can get some sleep now!
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#543 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 am

TucsonClip wrote:
ejftw wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:We would need to send out $14 mil in order to make a deal work for Rozier, assuming we are under the tax at the completion of the trade.

And Lou/Patton/Noah/Jackson 120% doesn't quite get there, does it?

Because I'd love to have a bench trio of Rozier/Kennard/Ibaka.

Since Rozier makes less than $19.6 mil and if we end up under the tax after the deal, it's our outgoing salary + $5 mil to match salaries instead of 125%. 125% would be used if we go into the tax after the trade or if the incoming salary is more than $19.6 mil.

To answer your question, I doubt Reggie would be the piece added due to the sign and trade. However, assuming we end up under the tax after the deal, Lou, Fi, Patton, Noah would work. Issue is Noah and Patton aren't helping the Hornets, plus they are already going to be hard capped because of the Hayward sign and trade. So depending on their plans, that would complicated things unless they can reroute those guys elsewhere with us paying to do so.

Nice work on the numbers, Jeff. Hornets want to do this why? And is Rozier even a real PG? 4.1 apg/2.2 TOs

Rozier, 26, still has two years and nearly $37M.

Can the Clips do Rozier AND Ibaka? That's a lot of coin...

Ibaka is worth $10-20M per and surely can get 3-4 years locking him in through age 35. Gasol is already 35. Ballmer already had to overpay Marcus Morris through age 35 to avoid a total roster meltdown. [Can you imagine if Senior had left too???]

Now, Ibaka might just be the Hail Mary that could get Kawhi to re-sign next summer, which must be why the Clips are courting him so heavily [desperately?]. Still, even if they land him, there are no guarantees. Kawhi plays it closer to the vest than even the Clippers do.

Just askin'. You're our best numbers guy here...

LATE ADD: Ibaka takes the Clippers' deal--one year plus an opt-out along with Kawhi and PG next summer. Ballmer Nation avoids meltdown--for now.

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#544 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:36 am

I bet Ibaka could have got more money than that. Seems like a discount for sure.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#545 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 am

Biggest loser here is clearly Trez. Played (and pouted) his way off the team, moved across the hallway, only for the Clippers to immediately replace him with a much better player. Not only that, but Ibaka's contract is the exact same deal Trez got from the Lakers.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#546 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 am

I told y'all to chill. Lol
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#547 » by og15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 am

esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
ejftw wrote:

Since Rozier makes less than $19.6 mil and if we end up under the tax after the deal, it's our outgoing salary + $5 mil to match salaries instead of 125%. 125% would be used if we go into the tax after the trade or if the incoming salary is more than $19.6 mil.

To answer your question, I doubt Reggie would be the piece added due to the sign and trade. However, assuming we end up under the tax after the deal, Lou, Fi, Patton, Noah would work. Issue is Noah and Patton aren't helping the Hornets, plus they are already going to be hard capped because of the Hayward sign and trade. So depending on their plans, that would complicated things unless they can reroute those guys elsewhere with us paying to do so.

Nice work on the numbers, Jeff. Hornets want to do this why? And is Rozier even a real PG? 4.1 apg/2.2 TOs

Ibaka is worth $10-20M per and surely can get 3-4 years locking him in through age 35. Gasol is already 35. Ballmer already had to overpay Marcus Morris through age 35 to avoid a total roster meltdown. [Can you imagine if Senior had left too???]

Now, Ibaka might just be the Hail Mary that could get Kawhi to re-sign next summer, which must be why the Clips are courting him so heavily [desperately?]. Still, even if they land him, there are no guarantees. Kawhi plays it closer to the vest than even the Clippers do.

Rozier is not a PG, he's not a high IQ player. I don't truly understand the desire for him at $20M/year when he's just a younger version of that Lou Williams type smaller scoring PG.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#548 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:46 am

OMFG... this is huge. Why do i have a feeling Ballmer Bux was in the work in the background... good lord this is best signing of the offseason so far IMHO. He's easily a 20mil a year player, getting MLE money. Can start at PF/C, can stretch the floor, excellent on D, good character guy. WOWZERS.

Ok for the BAE gosh i dunno who to get, would prefer a lanky SG/SF/PF backup (Mo Harkless was ideal but he's off the board), maybe RJax? For 2nd/3rd string PG, Lin is a no brainer for vet min, also he's got an Atkinson connection so he'll be good for helping develop other young players. 3rd string C i'd bring back Noah, i'd let Kabengele just sink or swim at backup PF, if he doesnt hack it, rely on buyout market later on.

Man HOLY ****... Clips got Serge...
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#549 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 am

esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
ejftw wrote:

Without doing the proper math, it would be a Lou and Bev package going out. Since we are now hard capped and in the tax, salary matching is 125% instead of the +$5mil. To send out a Lou package alone doesn't work, because we have to have 14 guys on the roster and you factor in minimum salary holds.

I'm not sure the Clippers want to send out Bev, but Rozier would give us some point of attack defense to help replace him. We could use the BAE for another guard if we wanted.

I'm not sure it really ever made sense, especially considering Hill is readily available. Unfortunately that means dealing with Presti again.

- Shane Battier
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#550 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 am

Can't wait for 48 minutes of Zubaka rim protection. It's a welcome change from watching every other team in the league run layup lines against Trez for the entire second half.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#551 » by SK21209 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 am

Awesome news! The focus now shifts to the point guard spot and IMO a Lou Will trade.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#552 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:54 am

We've analyzed Ibaka enough, so we know what he offers. He's such a massive upgrade from Trez considering how we play and what we need from a big floor spacer and solid defender.

This is HUGE.

- Shane Battier
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#553 » by Max Headrom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 am

TucsonClip wrote:We've analyzed Ibaka enough, so we know what he offers. He's such a massive upgrade from Trez considering how we play and what we need from a big floor spacer and solid defender.

This is HUGE.

Terrible front office...
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#554 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:59 am

DieHardFan wrote:I don't understand the frustration of J-Myke. The moment Marcus Morris Extention happened he is become a luxury. We have Limited resources as an over the cap team and our J-Myke wasn't adressing any of the biggest 2 holes of the roster. A servicable playmaker and Stretch Big(Who Can Play Center beside Small Ball lineups) J-Myke wasn't a solution any of that.

Morris Can take 30+ minutes in PF and may extend to Small Ball 5 we see that in Dallas Series.We also got the safety option wit 2Pat in case of Morris early game ejection.

MLE and BAE utilized with dead money Mcgruder shipped. 4 extra 2nd rd pick added to the arsenal. Unnecessary pieces(J-Myke and Harrell) are gone while players that provides flexibility acquired&retained(Kennard&Morris).

Our front office plays chess like always.

First hole completed. Another hole on to go. Our fo is about to call check in chess.

F.ckin kasparovs of Front Offices.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#555 » by James2000 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:10 am

Well, I admit that I was wrong about the front office. However, is this a great amount based upon we are close to the hard cap? How much do we have left to be fine?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#556 » by SharoneWright » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:10 am

You guys should just acquire our entire championship team! :P :peace:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#557 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:11 am

Vae Victus wrote:OMFG... this is huge. Why do i have a feeling Ballmer Bux was in the work in the background... good lord this is best signing of the offseason so far IMHO. He's easily a 20mil a year player, getting MLE money. Can start at PF/C, can stretch the floor, excellent on D, good character guy. WOWZERS.

Ok for the BAE gosh i dunno who to get, would prefer a lanky SG/SF/PF backup (Mo Harkless was ideal but he's off the board), maybe RJax? For 2nd/3rd string PG, Lin is a no brainer for vet min, also he's got an Atkinson connection so he'll be good for helping develop other young players. 3rd string C i'd bring back Noah, i'd let Kabengele just sink or swim at backup PF, if he doesnt hack it, rely on buyout market later on.

Man HOLY ****... Clips got Serge...

We got lucky. Ballmer got lucky. If any of the other 29 teams out there had offered Ibaka some REAL MONEY at age 31, he'd have had to take it. This is a one-year deal really. Ballmer bought himself some time by sitting tight and letting Ibaka fall to the Clippers as the least-worst alternative.

I agree with his strategy, although he had no other alternative either.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#558 » by playaloc916 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 am

I think one important aspect is how this impacts the locker room. We replaced the main malcontent with one of Kawhi's old teammates. Trezz couldn't handle taking a backseat when Kawhi and PG joined. I'm definitely liking the front court.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#559 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 am

Still need a playmaking point guard to feed all these guys
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#560 » by NickP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:44 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Still need a playmaking point guard to feed all these guys