[Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#121 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:12 am

Diop wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
Diop wrote:I think the idea is to sign Hayward this year which hopefully helps us sign another good free agent next year.
I wanted to tank one more season , but MJ hates that.

I agree that seems to be the plan. But signing a FA will be tougher to if you guys do the Batum stretch.

Read on Twitter

Hopefully the stretch doesn’t happen but was just reported to show ainge we aren’t at his mercy. I bet he wishes he took that turner deal

Now it I posted that I'd probably get suspended.

But I am not the one saying it. So I agree with you Diop! If you could get the celtics to take Rozier that would be great. I'd rather trade Rozier than Stretch waive Batum. It just makes the pain last longer. Who knows some team might actually take Rozier and give you a smaller contract back.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,047

Post#122 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 am

Yeah the most likely and obvious trade I think is to move Terry for a player that makes 8m less but still has some length on the deal. Having a hard time coming up with an OKC deal that doesn’t require decent comp. In most cases it does seem to make more sense to figure out what to send to Boston.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#123 » by snowman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 am

Losing Hayward for nothing was a bad mistake move by Danny not moving quicker. Signing TT and Teague was a really good come back move. DO NOT even consider making losing Hayward situation worse by taking back Batum, Rosier or Zeller. Even as an expiring. The only thing that should be considered is if the Hornets can make it a three way and trade Rosier to LA Clippers (as rumors have talked about) and some of what comes back to them be forwarded to us to eat into the 30 mil committed to Hayward.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#124 » by VCfor3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 am

Diop wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
Diop wrote:I think the idea is to sign Hayward this year which hopefully helps us sign another good free agent next year.

I agree that seems to be the plan. But signing a FA will be tougher to if you guys do the Batum stretch.

Read on Twitter

Hopefully the stretch doesn’t happen but was just reported to show ainge we aren’t at his mercy. I bet he wishes he took that turner deal

Reminds me of when Memphis was trying to leverage Ainge by saying we were willing to keep an expiring Tyreke Evans on our rebuilding/tanking team to try and resign him a few trade deadlines ago. We wanted a late 1st and Ainge was offering only a 2nd or two. But to make sure he bought our bluff, we didn't trade Evans to Boston or another team and instead let him walk for nothing in free agency. :banghead:

I recommend being willing to work with Boston or whoever in order to not stretch Batum even if you have to give up a 2nd or two. Shooting ourselves in the foot in the above example helped no one.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,343

Post#125 » by reload141 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:42 am

Diop wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Read on Twitter

I mean, we helped you guys create a TPE for Rozier and now it's being reported that both teams are discussing this option again but Hayward this time... seems pretty amicable?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,216

Post#126 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 am

I can't believe Mitch would be stupid enough to just stretch Batum. I refuse to believe it. There's no reason to when you can just attach an asset to dump Zeller or Batum to another team to save the money.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#127 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 am

What about Batum, Zeller for Horford?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#128 » by VCfor3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:What about Batum, Zeller for Horford?

That feels pretty bad for CHA though they could use a center
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#129 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 am

amcoolio wrote:I can't believe Mitch would be stupid enough to just stretch Batum. I refuse to believe it. There's no reason to when you can just attach an asset to dump Zeller or Batum to another team to save the money.

Batum to NY for Randle makes a lot of sense. NY would want a few 2nds probably to take the extra money. But I'm sure BOS would jump in to provide that incentive to them for the TPE.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,216

Post#130 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 am

VCfor3 wrote:

Anything is better than having the stink of Batum stay on our capsheet for 3 more years

I'm coming around to the Hayward signing, but stretching Batum is inexcusable

If we sign Hayward like this, we are trying to win. Taking 3 years of a dead cap hit is not trying to win. Those things contradict eacother.

Horford, Blake Griffin, Randle...please do something to not take a dead cap charge.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#131 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 am

VCfor3 wrote:

It definitely favors OKC. But I couldn’t bring myself to put any kind of picks going out. And Ferguson was our “maybe somebody seems him as a project” guy. Pretty stripped of those types now.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#132 » by VCfor3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

It definitely favors OKC. But I couldn’t bring myself to put any kind of picks going out. And Ferguson was our “maybe somebody seems him as a project” guy. Pretty stripped of those types now.

Well you also have to account for the Presti factor so not including picks to OKC was pretty generous for an opening offer. :lol:
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#133 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:55 am

I must be missing something here, why are people hating this deal? How many 6'7+ wings that can score 20 a game, score on all three levels, and playmake are in the NBA? This guy is a premium archetype.
Championships
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,733

Post#134 » by Diop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 am

I'd be tempted as I'd rather that than stretching Batum. Horford would be a good vet for our bigs.
Would hinder us signing another "star" next year, but wouldn't be impossible as Rozier should be moveable.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,007

Post#135 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:If it's true that Boston could have gotten Myles Turner and Doug McDermott in a sign and trade for Hayward, and lost that opportunity because they overplayed their hand and tried to get Oladipo or Warren included, that's a HUGE blown opportunity.

At the end of the day, the Charlotte money might have been too much to match, but losing Hayward for nothing when you could have had a 24 year old strtech 5 that is a great rim protector on a good contract that's a tough pill to swallow.

Pacers are welcome to revisit trade talks with us at the deadline, as we were the other team after Turner. I'm not sure what the Pacers were asking. I'm assuming PJ Washington. We can obviously work out a deal without him now because we have Hayward.

At $30m, it’s much harder to make the numbers work.

Turner + Jeremy Lamb + TJ Lead works.

What Indiana decides to do, IMO, will depend on how both Oladipo and Hayward start the season - if Oladipo is playing at an all-star level and Hayward is playing at an all-star level combining the two makes you a very dangerous team in the playoffs - Brogdn/Oladipo/Hayward/Warren/Sabonis
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#136 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:34 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Pacers are welcome to revisit trade talks with us at the deadline, as we were the other team after Turner. I'm not sure what the Pacers were asking. I'm assuming PJ Washington. We can obviously work out a deal without him now because we have Hayward.

At $30m, it’s much harder to make the numbers work.

Turner + Jeremy Lamb + TJ Lead works.

What Indiana decides to do, IMO, will depend on how both Oladipo and Hayward start the season - if Oladipo is playing at an all-star level and Hayward is playing at an all-star level combining the two makes you a very dangerous team in the playoffs - Brogdn/Oladipo/Hayward/Warren/Sabonis

It works in that it legally matches salary. It doesn’t work in team building or allowing the Pacers to fill out a full roster and avoid the luxury tax. It also completely eliminates the ability to possibly re sign Oladipo next year too, if, as you say, he’s playing well. Right now, we’re $50k under the tax, with only 13 signed. Doing a deal like that theoretically adds to the tax, because we have to fill the other 2 roster spots.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,339

Post#137 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 pm

The minute we suggested we will stretch Batum (9 million isn't going to prevent us from adding players considering our massive cap space next season and moving forward), Ainge is facing the loss of 30 million in usable cap space.

We won't be adding any value in a sign-and-trade.
It has been written...
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#138 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Surely losing 9m cap a year cannot be good.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,747

Post#139 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

The stretch provision needs to be banned.

All it’s done near as I can tell is be used by teams who sign awful contracts so they can stretch out the cap hit to sign more awful contracts sooner.

Save fiscally irresponsible GMs from themselves and stop fan suffering.

BAN THE STRETCH.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,339

Post#140 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Surely losing 9m cap a year cannot be good.

Losing 30 million in usable cap cannot be better.
It has been written...

Return to Trades and Transactions