ImageImageImageImageImage

Serge Ibaka 2 years $19 mil, player option 2d year

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Serge Ibaka 2 years $19 mil, player option 2d year 

Post#1 » by Kelphus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:32 am

Ok he played with Kawhi... so all is well?
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Serge Ibaka 2 years $19 mil, player option 2d year 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 am

Kelphus wrote:Ok he played with Kawhi... so all is well?

Hey Kelphus! Good to see you. Pulled over here from the general thread. Just a theory but a reasonable one:

There was surely some nodding and winking going on somewhere--maybe even just from Kawhi:

There was no $64M/4 year deal out there like the Clips threw at Marcus Morris, so Kawhi rings up and says, hey bro, come run one with me and PG. Weather's great, private jet, nice facility. Richest owner in sports, treats us like kings. Beats the hell out of the Raptors decamping to Tampa because of the COVID, living like refugees in hotel rooms and borrowed high-school practice gyms.

If we win, I'll hold a gun to his head and make sure Ballmer gives you the big dough to get me to re-sign. And if it all goes to hell, we're all out of here in June. Sound like a plan? :D
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#3 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:19 am

esqtvd wrote:

Hey Kelphus! Good to see you. Pulled over here from the general thread. Just a theory but a reasonable one:

There was surely some nodding and winking going on somewhere--maybe even just from Kawhi:

There was no $64M/4 year deal out there like the Clips threw at Marcus Morris, so Kawhi rings up and says, hey bro, come run one with me and PG. Weather's great, private jet, nice facility. Richest owner in sports, treats us like kings. Beats the hell out of the Raptors decamping to Tampa because of the COVID, living like refugees in hotel rooms and borrowed high-school practice gyms.

If we win, I'll hold a gun to his head and make sure Ballmer gives you the big dough to get me to re-sign. And if it all goes to hell, we're all out of here in June. Sound like a plan? :D

Hey, lets get another ex-Raptor PG, Lin, he's kinda old and banged up, but for the vet min you cant be too picky ;)
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#4 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 am

If only they could somehow get Lowry in a trade. Maybe the Raptors would consider blowing it up. However, I think Lowry makes too much money to get the salaries to match
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#5 » by Kelphus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 am

Hey Tom, 22 years of saying wait til next year, maybe THIS is the one.

I still believe, babee
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#6 » by NippySudz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 am

I like this. I hope we could get gasol for the min. But I'll admit I have no knowledge of our current capspace situation right now.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#7 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:If only they could somehow get Lowry in a trade. Maybe the Raptors would consider blowing it up. However, I think Lowry makes too much money to get the salaries to match

Unfortunately, no way to make that deal due to the hard cap and 14 roster spots needing to be filled. Salary wise, Lou, Bev, Zu and Fi work, but we're hard capped and no way to get to 14 roster spots.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 am

Vae Victus wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Hey, lets get another ex-Raptor PG, Lin, he's kinda old and banged up, but for the vet min you cant be too picky ;)

me likes

The 32-year-old California native signed with the Ducks in August 2019. He averaged 22.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 1.8 steals across 39 regular-season appearances. He shot 49.1 percent from the field, including 33.8 percent from three-point range.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#9 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 am

TucsonClip wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:If only they could somehow get Lowry in a trade. Maybe the Raptors would consider blowing it up. However, I think Lowry makes too much money to get the salaries to match

Unfortunately, no way to make that deal due to the hard cap and 14 roster spots needing to be filled. Salary wise, Lou, Bev, Zu and Fi work, but we're hard capped and no way to get to 14 roster spots.

always trust content from TucsonClip :nod:
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#10 » by donemilio21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:57 am

NippySudz wrote:I like this. I hope we could get gasol for the min. But I'll admit I have no knowledge of our current capspace situation right now.

We are using the non-tax payer midlevel exception to sign Ibaka, which puts us over the tax and we lose the right the use bi-annual exception of $3.5M if I'm not mistaken. so all we have left is vet minimums and bird-rights if I'm not mistaken.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#11 » by NickP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:15 am

esqtvd wrote:

Why the hell are you always thinking of end scenarios where Kawhi et al are outta here?
Kawhi is a Socal native and is playing in front of his own crowd. He loves it here. He's going to build something great here. He has to lay roots somewhere and why not here. He's already won two rings and he's not going to leave LA to chase rings. The same is for PG. They will be a solid foundation for at least the next 4 years.
Stop ending every damn post with Kawhi bolting.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Why the hell are you always thinking of end scenarios where Kawhi et al are outta here?
Kawhi is a Socal native and is playing in front of his own crowd. He loves it here. He's going to build something great here. He has to lay roots somewhere and why not here. He's already won two rings and he's not going to leave LA to chase rings. The same is for PG. They will be a solid foundation for at least the next 4 years.

Surely you didn't see my well-researched post about Phoenix being equidistant by air from Kawhi's San Diego home? Please stop harassing me? Kawhi is not in the bag by any means. That's why he signed for only 2 years and not for the max.

And well Ballmer knows it. Everybody is leaving their options open. Ibaka just signed for a year and no more. The real chess game is between Ballmer and his players bruh. :wink:
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#13 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 am

Great deal wish it was a bit longer of a contract but I guess this will work.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#14 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 am

Need to start signing other parts soon
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#15 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:31 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Doomerism is a popular past time of fan bases :D

Ngl yesterday, after watching the Clips lose players they couldnt replace, and seeing alot of FAs getting overpaid like crazy, i was really worried for the Clippers future if they couldnt add any upgrades. Serge changed all of that.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:34 am

donemilio21 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I like this. I hope we could get gasol for the min. But I'll admit I have no knowledge of our current capspace situation right now.

We are using the non-tax payer midlevel exception to sign Ibaka, which puts us over the tax and we lose the right the use bi-annual exception of $3.5M if I'm not mistaken. so all we have left is vet minimums and bird-rights if I'm not mistaken.

We have the BAE, vet min deals and also a few small trade exceptions. The exceptions are really only useful if we make a trade and end up saving some more money against the hard cap. As of right now, the BAE and 1 vet min deal would get us to the required 14 and snug against the hard cap.

- Shane Battier
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#17 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:26 am

TucsonClip wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:

We have the BAE, vet min deals and also a few small trade exceptions. The exceptions are really only useful if we make a trade and end up saving some more money against the hard cap. As of right now, the BAE and 1 vet min deal would get us to the required 14 and snug against the hard cap.

Yeah I read if we cut Noah and Patton we should have the BAE.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by TucsonClip » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:04 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:We are using the non-tax payer midlevel exception to sign Ibaka, which puts us over the tax and we lose the right the use bi-annual exception of $3.5M if I'm not mistaken. so all we have left is vet minimums and bird-rights if I'm not mistaken.

We have the BAE regardless, the issue is the hard cap. If we are unable to package Noah and Patton for salary matching purposes in a deal, they are waived and we then have room to use the BAE + 1 min guy.

- Shane Battier
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Ibaka 2yrs $19 mil, plr option 2nd yr 

Post#19 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:54 am

We solved our Rubik's Cube:

Problem 1: Ivica Zubac needed more minutes, but Montrezl Harrell needed minutes, too. Neither of them could be on court together as both played center and neither of them had a 3-point shot. Clippers solved this problem by signing Serge Ibaka, who can play both backup C and PF. This means that Zubac and Ibaka can play on the court together.

Problem 2: Clippers had problems with team chemistry. Clippers solved that problem by bringing in Kawhi's former teammate, Serge Ibaka on a discount. No doubt Serge could've received a contract like Marcus Morris, Jr. That still would've been a discount for Toronto. But he decided to play with Kawhi.

Problem 3: We had problems with team chemistry. Clippers solved that problem by watching both Montrezl Harrell and JaMychal Green walk and bringing in Serge Ibaka to replace them. By condensing their two positions into one player, Clippers ended up with a tighter rotation and more flexibility.

Problem 4: We had problems with mobile big men like Anthony Davis, Nikola Jokic, and Kristaps Porzingis. Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris, Sr., and JaMychal Green were too short to guard them. That's why I advocated developing Mifiondu Kabengele to be able to guard these guys on the perimeter. Clippers did me one better by bringing in Serge Ibaka, who can already do it on a world class level.

Problem 5: Clippers were a short team. They had 7'0" Ivica Zubac and 6'10" Mfiondu Kabengele. Now, they have 7'0" Ivica Zubac, 7'0" Serge Ibaka, 6'11" Justin Patton, 6'10" Mfiondu Kabengele, and 6'10" Daniel Oturu. That's plenty of beef to pass around.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#20 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:We have the BAE, vet min deals and also a few small trade exceptions. The exceptions are really only useful if we make a trade and end up saving some more money against the hard cap. As of right now, the BAE and 1 vet min deal would get us to the required 14 and snug against the hard cap.

We have the BAE regardless, the issue is the hard cap. If we are unable to package Noah and Patton for salary matching purposes in a deal, they are waived and we then have room to use the BAE + 1 min guy.

Can’t believe we wasted the BAE on Patterson

Return to Los Angeles Clippers