ImageImageImageImageImage

Obi Toppin to the Knicks @ #8

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Obi Toppin to the Knicks @ #8 

Post#441 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 am

Zenzibar wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

I think he may our best pick since Patrick.

He wasn't my pick but I'll be rooting hard for the kid. If Knox could come around we could really have some fun watching them youngins grow together even if they lose a bunch of games.

We know one thing for sure is that Thibs, Woody and Payne gonna do work on these kids mindsets. The staff is looking to catch some teams and I believe he tCeltics are within reach.
Can Obi be an all-star this year? Depends if fans enjoy highlight reels, cause he led the Nation in highligths by a huge margin last year.

With you my Dude, will be fun watching them develop under Thibs and staff.

Exactly. Let the kids bring the excitement and let's see what our first ever developmental coaching staff does.

How long before our first preseason game? :D
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#442 » by blanko » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:RJ-Obi-Mitch resembles a lot Melo-STAT-Tyson.

And the Knicks were significantly better without STAT (who could also shoot much like Obi) and with Melo/Tyson surrounded with shooters. The Knicks were too slow, too big with Melo-Stat-Tyson. The lane was clogged because Tyson was there for defense so Amar'e couldn't get to the rim to do what he does best.

Same will happen with this new trio. Same conundrum. Just saying.

I love Obi the person and I really like his offensive skill set. But I hate the pick.

I like Obi but the question that would matter on his fit with Mitch......

Is Obi one who creates space or one who needs space to create? Those are two different things, the latter of which won’t be the ideal pairing with Mitch. Could work but not the best.
He can do both imho. But its his passing that has me intrigued.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#443 » by blanko » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:32 am

God Squad wrote:
aggo wrote:watching more tape.

The guy can definitely play. He's pretty consistent in that he doesnt really stray from his moves. Not a freelance guy so he's not often 1on1 in the wing. Probably his foot speed will stop him from being a SF, but if he can develop a handle he'd be terrifying for guys on the perimeter to defend given his insane leaping and brute explosive strength

his 3pt shot is legit. look at how much air he puts under that ball.

watch him on give and gos and PNRs. he will snap pass the ball with 1 hand like Jokic.

seems like a coach's dream tbh. I can see why Thibs would love this guy

If even for a second you're looking at Obi as a SF you'll be doomed for failure. IMO Obi is a Power Forward strictly. Which should and will be his best position. He was the best player in college basketball for a reason, he can hoop without a doubt. The problem is how high is his ceiling with his defense, which I think Mitch should be able to cover some.

I get it that most people had their point guard project that they loved on here (Kira, Hayes, Terry). But IMO Hayes was the lotto talent of the bunch. Terry's agent tried to get his stock to an all-time high and tempt the Knicks to draft him in the first round. I honestly think you guys are going to love this pick once the season starts. To many teams draft for Potential and those same players never even sniff their ceiling or potential. Obi will help right away and should surprise many, I hope at least.
Obi is the prototypical modern 4.

Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#444 » by Fat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:22 am

Obi carried that Dayton team to the most wins they ever saw & a 20 game win streak on top of that and he was a MAIN factor in that. its hard to question his impact on the floor

im excited to see him on the NBA level where he's going to have more freedom to expand his game. He was unstoppable around the rim and in the post in college so coach mainly took advantage of that but thats not the ceiling of his talents. He is a baby amare / john collins proto type that can extend his range and makes good reads on the floor.

Even if you want to make that claim the shooting was on low volume you still have to take it for what it is, when he was placed in situations to shoot the ball from 3 he showed signals he can make the shot if you give him it. i dont think anyone is expecting him to be a prime ryan anderson /kevin love or something out there. he will probably have similar 3 point numbers as john collins another guy who is low voume ish but has a respectable enough percentage where you wont just leave him open and if he ends up better than that even better for the knicks.
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,902

Post#445 » by Jeffrey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 am

If you look at this trust, which player do you think can be a consistent 20+ ppg player? It's Obi. Ironically, some people said the same sh.it about Knox.
Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,110

Post#446 » by Snacks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 am

Obi reminds me of a 6’10 Shawn Marion. Efficient, powerfully explosive, and doesn’t need plays run for him.
Mitch in the dunkers spot and Obi behind the 3 should be a legit NBA core. Hopefully we can get a professional pt guard to help set them up. I’ll be happy with Conley. Then Barret will have space to operate.
Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,858

Post#447 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Haven't read so maybe that video was posted, but this guy looks like a damned beast. I am thinking we have our best player here, RJ coming in second.

Best case scenario is Toppin becomes a bona fide # 1 option and RJ is a # 2 or 3

RJ is a stat stuffer and I project him to be a high level glue guy on a contender. Not sure what people need to be sold on with RJ because he is already a well-rounded player who just needs to increase his efficiency and I expect he will.

What I like about Toppin is he has range. All this talk about Amare is fine when it comes to dunking on the break, but Stat was NEVER a three point threat. If anything he has a bit of KD in him with that kind of shooting touch.

So I can see Toppin becoming a legit # 1 if his dominance translates to the NBA

I understand rolling the dice on Toppin instead of picking a PG if he is that guy, because a legit # 1 or even # 2 championship quality scoring option is something you must have so using a # 8 on him can be a true BPA pick in this case

I can fully understand picking Obi at # 8 whereas Knox was a definite head scratcher

I agree that Obi has a lot of scoring talent, maybe more than anyone in this draft. But I just don't see him being a legit #1 or even #2 option on a high-caliber team deep in the playoffs.

Are there any players in the league now that he resembles? He's not really a 3, and he's not really a 4. He can't play the 5 defensively either so that's out.

I really hope it's true but I don't see a path to a legit #1 option. What are you hoping his game evolves into?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#448 » by Fat Kat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Haven't read so maybe that video was posted, but this guy looks like a damned beast. I am thinking we have our best player here, RJ coming in second.

Best case scenario is Toppin becomes a bona fide # 1 option and RJ is a # 2 or 3

RJ is a stat stuffer and I project him to be a high level glue guy on a contender. Not sure what people need to be sold on with RJ because he is already a well-rounded player who just needs to increase his efficiency and I expect he will.

What I like about Toppin is he has range. All this talk about Amare is fine when it comes to dunking on the break, but Stat was NEVER a three point threat. If anything he has a bit of KD in him with that kind of shooting touch.

I understand rolling the dice on Toppin instead of picking a PG if he is that guy, because a legit # 1 or even # 2 championship quality scoring option is something you must have so using a # 8 on him can be a true BPA pick in this case

I can fully understand picking Obi at # 8 whereas Knox was a definite head scratcher

I agree that Obi has a lot of scoring talent, maybe more than anyone in this draft. But I just don't see him being a legit #1 or even #2 option on a high-caliber team deep in the playoffs.

Are there any players in the league now that he resembles? He's not really a 3, and he's not really a 4. He can't play the 5 defensively either so that's out.

I really hope it's true but I don't see a path to a legit #1 option. What are you hoping his game evolves into?

He’s more Blake Griffin than Amare. He’s a poor defending 4 that can’t really create his own shot. Both Amare and Blake were at their best with good PG play. Obi will probably be the same.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#449 » by Fat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:18 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

probably will play the 4 in the NBA and the 5 against certain match-ups/situations
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#450 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:39 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

He’s more Blake Griffin than Amare. He’s a poor defending 4 that can’t really create his own shot. Both Amare and Blake were at their best with good PG play. Obi will probably be the same.

Id say Blake and Amare are both pretty good at creating their shot as Power Forwards/Centers.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,858

Post#451 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

probably will play the 4 in the NBA and the 5 against certain match-ups/situations

I agree that he's a 4, but what exactly is his path to #1-option status?

Kevin Love averaged 26/12.5 and nearly 38% from 3 and couldn't get his team to the playoffs.

What are the chances that Obi ever comes close to that level of production? Not good I think.

John Collins averaged 20/10 last year and we still aren't sure he's a winning NBA player at a high level.

Nikola Vucevic averaged 21/12 2 years ago and the Magic were barely a playoff team.

What I'm saying is bigs that score but can't play defense aren't really that valuable at high-level NBA basketball.

Obi has more bounce than those guys, but he's not nearly the shooter as Love or Vucevic.

In order to really be a #1 option, Obi is going to have to hit 37% or better from 3 on high volume, beast smaller guys on switches, become a solid playmaker, get to the rim at will against bigger guys, become a passable defender, and even then I don't think he's the #1 option on a great team.

He's got a long way to go and it's questionable he even comes close. He's super talented, but I just don't see how he fits on a winning team.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,507

Post#452 » by Buttah304 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Obi listens to gospel in the morning. He’s probably gonna be a 10x all star.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,060

Post#453 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm

blanko wrote:
God Squad wrote:
aggo wrote:watching more tape.

The guy can definitely play. He's pretty consistent in that he doesnt really stray from his moves. Not a freelance guy so he's not often 1on1 in the wing. Probably his foot speed will stop him from being a SF, but if he can develop a handle he'd be terrifying for guys on the perimeter to defend given his insane leaping and brute explosive strength

his 3pt shot is legit. look at how much air he puts under that ball.

watch him on give and gos and PNRs. he will snap pass the ball with 1 hand like Jokic.

seems like a coach's dream tbh. I can see why Thibs would love this guy

If even for a second you're looking at Obi as a SF you'll be doomed for failure. IMO Obi is a Power Forward strictly. Which should and will be his best position. He was the best player in college basketball for a reason, he can hoop without a doubt. The problem is how high is his ceiling with his defense, which I think Mitch should be able to cover some.

I get it that most people had their point guard project that they loved on here (Kira, Hayes, Terry). But IMO Hayes was the lotto talent of the bunch. Terry's agent tried to get his stock to an all-time high and tempt the Knicks to draft him in the first round. I honestly think you guys are going to love this pick once the season starts. To many teams draft for Potential and those same players never even sniff their ceiling or potential. Obi will help right away and should surprise many, I hope at least.
Obi is the prototypical modern 4.

The prototypical modern 4 is more like Jaylen Brown.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#454 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Being considered one of the top scorers in college does not always translate to the NBA, but a big with his touch? Yeah, I think it does. Not predicting his level reached, but saying the probability of him being a legit # 1 or # 2 option is what Knicks management felt they had to bet on. Otherwise, they probably take a PG with # 8. I think they saw Obi dropping and felt they could not pass on him and adjusted their plans to draft a PG next year, which could pan out as the right move.

I've been the only one to say it thus far, but it possible Obi fits positionless systems well with his ability to fill the lane, shoot from deep, penetrate or post up. He was a smaller player who went through a big growth spurt and he still plays like he has that smaller frame aside from being a dunker.

So I don't really know whom he resembles in the NBA. He's not brawny like Amare so he's not going to chocolate thunder his way through a crowd, but he has that downhill momentum like Stat did. I said with his range and touch there's a little bit of KD to his game as much as any Stat comparison.

So I think he's a hybrid and maybe sui generis. That could make him hard to guard.

Thibs is the right coach for him to learn team defense so I'm not that concerned about his D. He'll be average as a help defender plus add some extra weak side rim protection.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#455 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Buttah304 wrote:Obi listens to gospel in the morning. He’s probably gonna be a 10x all star.

Now that's what I call a scouting report 8-)
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#456 » by BKlutch » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:
Besart19 wrote:Westbrook
Ntilikina
RJ Barrett
Toppin
Robinson

New York Brickerbockers

Westbrook will get us more wins, but I think he will hurt the team chemistry and what we are trying to build here.
I'd much rather get someone who is a better distributor and defender.
Wish there was a way to get a younger and more well rounded guard on here.

Hey ballboy, I don't see any science in what you wrote — and it's long past time for:

STFU and GTFO!

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#457 » by Kampuchea » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:he's EXACTLY like Amare. even his jumpshot looks the same. sigh.

Just saw this. If you were drafting a new Amare without the injuries and can hit 3's where would he get picked?

You would have a bidding war for the top pick in the draft to grab him.

Damn, if we got a new Amare we won this draft!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#458 » by dakomish23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:he's EXACTLY like Amare. even his jumpshot looks the same. sigh.

Just saw this. If you were drafting a new Amare without the injuries and can hit 3's where would he get picked?

You would have a bidding war for the top pick in the draft to grab him.

Damn, if we got a new Amare we won this draft!

Lowe on his pre draft podcast w/ Draft Express

“This guy’s defense must be awful, b/c watching this guy on offense, I can’t believe he isn’t a lock for a top 3 pick”

The Amare comp was made over and over
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#459 » by ny-n-md » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 am

This kid has a high basketball IQ.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
Orange Mamba
Analyst
And1: 3,224

Post#460 » by Orange Mamba » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:30 am

I can see Obi possibly being our leading scorer if no Randle when the season starts

Return to New York Knicks