ImageImageImageImage

Wes Iwundu Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Re: Wes Iwundu Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 pm

MAN!!! Not gonna lie... I'ma miss him. Thought he was gonna return to us.

We get so wrapped up in players' growth into stars... but I was always rooting for him as he has grown into a solid NBA player. Definitely, a blue-collar worker that hopefully another team would give a great opportunity.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#22 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:41 pm

I am going to miss Iwundu but not going to miss mixing him up with Fultz everytime they were on the floor because of the similarities in their hair styles lol
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#23 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 pm

I hated him.2 seasons ago, but he stepped up last season and was a decent bench guy. Wish him luck wherever he goes and hope he stays in the NBA.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#24 » by TheGlyde » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 am

Looks like Wes is headed to Dallas on a guaranteed minimum deal.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#25 » by MagicMatic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 am

Didn’t mind Iwundu. Wing that provided some defense. Zero offense. Can contribute elsewhere.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#26 » by RookieStar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:57 am

TheGlyde wrote:Looks like Wes is headed to Dallas on a guaranteed minimum deal.

Good for him. Dont they have a glut of wings already though?
Anfernee1
Senior
And1: 431

Post#27 » by Anfernee1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 am

Too bad he is going to a team that I hate
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#28 » by Howard Mass » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm

I think Wes Iwundu can develop into a rotation player.

He fell out of favor here last season and wish him nothing but the best in Dallas.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#29 » by Def Swami » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:42 pm

The Mavs are the kind of team to turn Iwundu into a solid rotation guy. They've done it with guys like Seth Curry, Dorey Finney-Smith, and Dwight Powell. They're good at finding these under the radar guys and developing them.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#30 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Iwundu > Ennis and Bacon

I stand by this.

Good for him on the contract. I hope he plays his way into even more $.
Anfernee1
Senior
And1: 431

Post#31 » by Anfernee1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:07 pm

cedric76 wrote:very surprising

I am not sure how that is very surprising, I think he left so he can get more playing time and I do not blame him
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#32 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am

So what type of player are the Mavs getting in Iwundu?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 am

Def Swami wrote:The Mavs are the kind of team to turn Iwundu into a solid rotation guy. They've done it with guys like Seth Curry, Dorey Finney-Smith, and Dwight Powell. They're good at finding these under the radar guys and developing them.

Kleber, Aminu, Mayo, Brandon Bass, and others too. They did it with JJ Barea and doing it now with Burke. Hopefully Iwundu cracks that list.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#34 » by pepe1991 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:40 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Def Swami wrote:The Mavs are the kind of team to turn Iwundu into a solid rotation guy. They've done it with guys like Seth Curry, Dorey Finney-Smith, and Dwight Powell. They're good at finding these under the radar guys and developing them.

Kleber, Aminu, Mayo, Brandon Bass, and others too. They did it with JJ Barea and doing it now with Burke. Hopefully Iwundu cracks that list.

I don't think people understand how small Barea is. Just a fact he menaged to stay healthy and last for 14 years is amazing..

This is him vs average size nba player

and this is how it looks when he attacks center :lol:

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#35 » by Knightro » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:04 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:So what type of player are the Mavs getting in Iwundu?

Iwundu plays really hard, especially defensively. He's one of those dive for loose balls, take charges, fight over and through screens kind of guy that everyone wants. A little foul prone, but overall he's a solid defender, perhaps a touch overly aggressive.

His 3PT shot is really robotic and mechanical looking, but he made it at a reasonable enough clip the last two years (57-161, .354) to where he won't kill you when he's out there. He's also been a good FT shooter (162-200, .810) over the last two years and is aggressive attacking the rim in transition.

The problem is he's just not comfortable taking threes unless he's wide open and generally speaking he's a passive offensive player. In some ways that's good because he rarely turns the ball over and doesn't take bad shots. But in other ways, it's not as good because teams help off him and he's not a willing enough offensive player to make teams pay consistently.

He has enough hustle and energy, particularly defensively, to earn some minutes.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:31 am

Knightro wrote:

Iwundu plays really hard, especially defensively. He's one of those dive for loose balls, take charges, fight over and through screens kind of guy that everyone wants. A little foul prone, but overall he's a solid defender, perhaps a touch overly aggressive.

His 3PT shot is really robotic and mechanical looking, but he made it at a reasonable enough clip the last two years (57-161, .354) to where he won't kill you when he's out there. He's also been a good FT shooter (162-200, .810) over the last two years and is aggressive attacking the rim in transition.

The problem is he's just not comfortable taking threes unless he's wide open and generally speaking he's a passive offensive player. In some ways that's good because he rarely turns the ball over and doesn't take bad shots. But in other ways, it's not as good because teams help off him and he's not a willing enough offensive player to make teams pay consistently.

He has enough hustle and energy, particularly defensively, to earn some minutes.

I noticed him getting tunnel vision on drives to the hoop. I like that he looks to pass when he's not driving, but kicking the ball out to the corner, roll guy, popper, etc. is an important trait in the NBA. I hope Carlisle can teach him to do that more often.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#37 » by Xatticus » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:11 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I noticed him getting tunnel vision on drives to the hoop. I like that he looks to pass when he's not driving, but kicking the ball out to the corner, roll guy, popper, etc. is an important trait in the NBA. I hope Carlisle can teach him to do that more often.

He’s not selfish. That isn’t his game. What he will do, however, is force contact when he sees an opportunity. He will aggressively attack the rim to get to the free throw line. His finishing is really bad, but he usually gets the call.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#38 » by RookieStar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Also, when Luka passes him the ball I hope Luka doesn't get frustrated because Wes won't shoot it or just pass to someone else.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:08 am

Xatticus wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Knightro wrote:

He’s not selfish. That isn’t his game. What he will do, however, is force contact when he sees an opportunity. He will aggressively attack the rim to get to the free throw line. His finishing is really bad, but he usually gets the call.

Oh yeah, I don't think he's selfish, I just think he could increase his passing IQ, vision, or awareness. Like I don't think tunnel vision is necessarily being selfish, he just may not have seen a guy. But then you have guys who do see other people and still shoot while they are double teamed. That might be selfish, but typically you see that from bona fide stars, so they've earned that right.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#40 » by KillMonger » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Why did we let you go? i would MUCH rather have you here than MCW right now

Return to Orlando Magic