ImageImageImage

Fixing the Mess Pt. 2 Sixers Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Re: Fixing the Mess Pt. 2 Sixers Offseason 

Post#2161 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:09 am

Arsenal wrote:I'm gonna keep banging this drum: Zhaire Smith and Mike Scott for George Hill and Mike Muscala.

Can easily add this onto our pending Horford trade, or do a completely separate trade. Doesn't matter. OKC saves $3M and gets a young athletic prospect for their rebuild. We get vets who fit for a playoff run.

Win-Win

That would be solid for us at this point.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#2162 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 am

I will be curious to see if we get a starting point guard or Doc tries Ben as his starting point. I think Ben’s track record against good teams in the playoffs has been pretty shaky. He was so bad against Boston two years ago, they had to put TJ in the starting lineup. Two years ago, they had to hand over primary ball handling duties to Jimmy. And this year they had to give them to Shake. Do they try the experiment for a fourth time? Or do they get a point guard who at least has to be guarded on the perimeter?

I think Ben is a matchup nightmare for teams in a lot of situations, but in half court heavy basketball, he struggles. And if that happens, are we going to see Shake, Seth, or Tobias running the point out of desperation? I would be surprised if our primary point guards going into the season are Ben and Shake.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#2163 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 am

sixers hoops wrote:I will be curious to see if we get a starting point guard or Doc tries Ben as his starting point. I think Ben’s track record against good teams in the playoffs has been pretty shaky. He was so bad against Boston two years ago, they had to put TJ in the starting lineup. Two years ago, they had to hand over primary ball handling duties to Jimmy. And this year they had to give them to Shake. Do they try the experiment for a fourth time? Or do they get a point guard who at least has to be guarded on the perimeter?

I think Ben is a matchup nightmare for teams in a lot of situations, but in half court heavy basketball, he struggles. And if that happens, are we going to see Shake, Seth, or Tobias running the point out of desperation? I would be surprised if our primary point guards going into the season are Ben and Shake.

You know who he reminds me of? Ricky Rubio at his prime.

Remember how Rubio had amazing analytics and raw stats during the reg season but would be minimized during the playoffs?

Anyway, I think what we’re trying to do is to build a team that would punish teams that would sag off Ben. So this team filled with good shooters would get open looks with Ben doing DHOs or screens given his man will be far enough to switch. I can see us being like the rich man’s version of the 2019-2020 Heat.

I do think Seth will be a much better player on our team next year. Then Doc should be able to make Tobi look better and I saw Tobi working to improve his game during the bubble so that may translate to a better player next season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2164 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 am

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:I will be curious to see if we get a starting point guard or Doc tries Ben as his starting point. I think Ben’s track record against good teams in the playoffs has been pretty shaky. He was so bad against Boston two years ago, they had to put TJ in the starting lineup. Two years ago, they had to hand over primary ball handling duties to Jimmy. And this year they had to give them to Shake. Do they try the experiment for a fourth time? Or do they get a point guard who at least has to be guarded on the perimeter?

Remember how Rubio had amazing analytics and raw stats during the reg season but would be minimized during the playoffs?

Anyway, I think what we’re trying to do is to build a team that would punish teams that would sag off Ben. So this team filled with good shooters would get open looks with Ben doing DHOs or screens given his man will be far enough to switch. I can see us being like the rich man’s version of the 2019-2020 Heat.

I do think Seth will be a much better player on our team next year. Then Doc should be able to make Tobi look better and I saw Tobi working to improve his game during the bubble so that may translate to a better player next season.

Yeah, I mean if a coach can get us to win, while playing to Ben’s strengths, that would be the perfect scenario. I sometimes feel like we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole. I think to win with Ben and Joel, you need an offensive mind who can find a way to have them both play at a high level together, and floor spacing is key. I am not a great offensive mind, so the only real solution I see is to get a PG who is effective in the halfcourt. I hope Doc has some ideas though.

Ben can be a matchup nightmare with his size, strength, speed, ballhandling, and passing ability. However, so far, most of his success has come via fast breaks, offensive putbacks, getting to the line, and taking it to the hoop. With the clock running down, if he can’t dunk, he is passing it. He just does not have the skills yet to break his man down and hit a jumpshot, which is so bizarre for a 3 time all-star guard.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2165 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 am

76ciology wrote:

I actually saw a video on this. I can’t remember if it was Sixers players or other team as an example, but they would often have a player dart out to the perimeter behind an uncovered Ben, and fire off a three. It was a series of plays to run if your PG can’t shoot.

Edit: I found the article. Video examples with Furkan and Josh.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/ben-simmons-sixers-film-review-brett-brown-josh-richardson-tobias-harris
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2166 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:46 am

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I actually saw a video on this. I can’t remember if it was Sixers players or other team as an example, but they would often have a player dart out to the perimeter behind an uncovered Ben, and fire off a three. It was a series of plays to run if your PG can’t shoot.

Watch this

Another example was the warriors where they utilized two non shooters in Draymond and Bogut into playmakers.

Another example of this style of play is the Spurs, with Green should be very familiar with.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2167 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 am

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Watch this

Another example was the warriors where they utilized two non shooters in Draymond and Bogut into playmakers.

After watching that, you can only imagine how Kerr and Spolstra would use Ben in the Draymond/Bam role.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2168 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 am

Mike Scott is a great fit with Joel and Ben, but after four 39%+ seasons from three, last years 37%+ plus also came with some lazy play. I like Mike Scott a lot, but Ersan seems like a significant upgrade after Scott’s performance last year.

I am not hearing much chatter regarding GRIII. He really didn’t play that much for us last year, and if things go like we hope, he wouldn’t get minutes for us this year. However, I’d take him for depth.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2169 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am

sixers hoops wrote:Mike Scott is a great fit with Joel and Ben, but after four 39%+ seasons from three, last years 37%+ plus also came with some lazy play. I like Mike Scott a lot, but Ersan seems like a significant upgrade after Scott’s performance last year.

I am not hearing much chatter regarding GRIII. He really didn’t play that much for us last year, and if things go like we hope, he wouldn’t get minutes for us this year. However, I’d take him for depth.

Pretty sure he was pissed that we end up his ponzi scheme of padding his numbers with the warriors :lol:
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2170 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:28 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Mike Scott is a great fit with Joel and Ben, but after four 39%+ seasons from three, last years 37%+ plus also came with some lazy play. I like Mike Scott a lot, but Ersan seems like a significant upgrade after Scott’s performance last year.

True lol. He was on his way to a better contract when we ruined it for him lol

Pretty sure he was pissed that we end up his ponzi scheme of padding his numbers with the warriors :lol:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers