Reynolds: Udonis Haslem to Re-Sign with Miami Heat; Returns for 18th Season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Re: Reynolds: Udonis Haslem to Re-Sign with Miami Heat; Returns for 18th Season 

Post#41 » by Heat3 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 am

The Laker Kid wrote:
Kings4win wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Well if it was cultural then why would it be only that one family member?
Because the others have married and moved away to be with their partners family?

Anyway there's any number of reasons someone may live with their parents....they may suffer from mental illness, they may be there to help their elderly parents, they may all just get along really well, might be saving for their own house purchase.....I'm sure there's a heap of potential reasons why it happens.

People are so judgemental.

When I first came to America, I was shocked to see parents leaving their babies to sleep in a different room. We're talking about babies that are like 2 weeks old! They stick a baby monitor and listen to the baby from another room. It's like, they can't wait to get rid of the child after it came out! Imagine a 20 yr old kid? LOL Where I'm from, it's normal to live with your parents until you get old. You form a solid family relationship. You can leave or stay, but most prefer to stay. No judgment either way.

And you know what happens to those parents that stuck their babies in the other rooms? When they get old their grown up kids stick them in homes :lol: I think it’s weird. I’m American but my parents are immigrants. We took care of my father at home when his health failed toward the end of his life.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,662

Post#42 » by Sign5 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 am

Wolves21 wrote:What a joke he's basically been retired the past five years and is a glorified assistant coach.In the last 4 seasons combed he's played 44 games and hasn't contributed at all since the James/Wade/Bosh era.

Imagine getting upset because ANOTHER team decides to reward THIER players for the loyalty and sacrifice he took starting from that era. :crazy:
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,253

Post#43 » by pr0wler » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:33 am

This is basically just trolling at this point. He hasn't played meaningful minutes in like a decade. Longest running gimmick in the NBA.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,059

Post#44 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 am

HMFFL wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Man wtf. Dude has been retired for 10 years. Just become a player development coach already lol.
He deserves to go out on his terms.
He took less and left so much money on the table for years to stay in Miami.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

But why take up a roster spot when you haven't played valuable minutes in 10 years. Just become a coach already lol.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#45 » by MrBigShot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:21 am

heatwillbeback wrote:Heat take care of their own.

If you don’t think stuff like this is a message to future free agents, y’all aren’t paying attention!

This 100%. The Heat have built a reputation as a well run, hard as hell working franchise from the top down that takes care of their players. You could criticize the way Wade leaving for Chicago was handled I guess, but that was a little while ago at this point.

Not every player is gonna actually contribute on the court in this league. Some guys are there for veteran leadership and intangibles.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 397

Post#46 » by slickrickstyles » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 am

Just insane...Born in Miami, high school in Miami, University of Florida, 8 years with the Miami Heat, 10 years with the Miami Heat cheerleading squad...Man what a crazy life to stay home the entire time.
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#47 » by Parataxis » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:11 am

Heat3 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
Kurtz wrote:They're just paying him back for that hometown discount he took like a decade ago.

At what point does the league call this cap manipulation?

It’s not. They like what he brings as a vet. Fans only see the games, but 99% of their “profession” happens outside of the games in the preparation and that is where he has more of an impact.

Besides, he’s been around so long that whatever “paying back” would have already happened years ago.

Also teams have 15 man rosters and g-league affiliates now. Not like the old days with a hard 12 man roster.

Okay, fair enough. I was under the impression that side deals, like "I'll sign for less now but in exchange you need to give me more money later on my next contract/sign me even when I'm not longer active" were against the rules, but maybe not.
Kings4win
Junior
And1: 267

Post#48 » by Kings4win » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 am

Be funny if hes been living like a monk and working out like crazy and comes back and has an impactful season lol.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,021

Post#49 » by SerialChiller » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:30 am

MrBigShot wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:Heat take care of their own.

If you don’t think stuff like this is a message to future free agents, y’all aren’t paying attention!

This 100%. The Heat have built a reputation as a well run, hard as hell working franchise from the top down that takes care of their players. You could criticize the way Wade leaving for Chicago was handled I guess, but that was a little while ago at this point.

Not every player is gonna actually contribute on the court in this league. Some guys are there for veteran leadership and intangibles.

Yep the way they handled Wade was very unfortunate there, Im glad Riley admitted that mistake and tried to right that wrong after. But that will always stand out as a weird moment for an otherwise fantastically ran franchise during his tenure.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#50 » by timO » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 am

WeTheNorth123 wrote:This guy is what Nick Collison was to Seattle & OKC

but Nick plays some games

UH dont play even in blowouts
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#51 » by kio80 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Can we put a cushion on the bench for his old ass? His back ain’t made for a hard wood bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,699

Post#52 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 pm

He is never in team gear ready to play if need be when I see him on the sideliness, he is allways dressed as one of the assistant types. Whats the point of keep calling this a player contract. Give him the money as assistant if you want. Unless he cant train/prepare players aswell if his job title changed?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#53 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:15 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Man wtf. Dude has been retired for 10 years. Just become a player development coach already lol.
He deserves to go out on his terms.
He took less and left so much money on the table for years to stay in Miami.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Udonis is playing the longgggggggg game. Good for him. It will be weird though when Haslem finally announces his retirement, lots of raised eyebrows.
aka: prorl
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#54 » by Flash4thewin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:57 pm

I think people are forgetting just how much UD left on the table to help the team. He took pay cuts on multiple multi year contracts. At this point UD will be playing late into his 40s to match the amount he left on his contract.

Personally it’s a win win, shows we take care of player and helps spread the narrative of “family” when everyone knows it’s a business.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#55 » by slick_watts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

this is entirely transactional from pat riley and the heat. they are telling their players and the league: loyalty is a two-way street, do right by us and you will be rewarded.
TheDiesel36
Senior
And1: 546

Post#56 » by TheDiesel36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Dont they have an extra chair in the second row so they dont have to waste a roster spot yet again? He is washed since 2013 I think the loyalty point was proven by the Heat like 4 years ago..
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#57 » by Almond2Oak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:34 pm

It’s incredible the amount of shade Riley & Udonis are getting ITT. UH is THE literal captain of that team, he works his ass off in practice, checks all the rookies at the door, helps everyone on that team including Jimmie in-game and off the court. Every nba team wishes they could have a UH on their roster and props to Riley for sticking to his word.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#58 » by The_Hater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm

My favourite part of this is Haslem will make the exact same salary as future Hall of Famers Howard and Melo.

That said, there obviously something fishy going on down in Miami that they continue to pay him several years after his playing career as legitimately ended. Some sort of wink wink deal took place a few years ago that keeps UH on the payroll.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#59 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Kings4win wrote:
The Laker Kid wrote:
Kings4win wrote:Because the others have married and moved away to be with their partners family?

Anyway there's any number of reasons someone may live with their parents....they may suffer from mental illness, they may be there to help their elderly parents, they may all just get along really well, might be saving for their own house purchase.....I'm sure there's a heap of potential reasons why it happens.

People are so judgemental.

When I first came to America, I was shocked to see parents leaving their babies to sleep in a different room. We're talking about babies that are like 2 weeks old! They stick a baby monitor and listen to the baby from another room. It's like, they can't wait to get rid of the child after it came out! Imagine a 20 yr old kid? LOL Where I'm from, it's normal to live with your parents until you get old. You form a solid family relationship. You can leave or stay, but most prefer to stay. No judgment either way.
Very true, the Moms basement joke is very much American too. If people get along with their families why wouldn't you? Better than living with random room mates among other options.

Honestly if its an option that you and your family are both comfortable with its far better to stay with your family until your in a financial situation which you can easily afford to own. So many of my friends ran out of their folks houses either during or right after college to go rent and pay their landlords mortgage/property taxes when financial it makes far more sense to stay with family build credit, save up a nice down payment, get a head start on 401(k)/retirement etc.

Some of my friends had such bad relationships with their parents that it was simply better to get out of those situations then figure it out from there. But if it's in the cards and you can come to reasonable terms to living with your family generally speaking its the best long term option. I'm so grateful I never had to pay a landlord rent and own my place, don't let society pressure you into something just because it maybe awkward to tell people your still living with your folks after college/in your mid-late 20's, who cares certainly not the landlord whose using your rent to make a profit/build equity in his property.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,425

Post#60 » by azcatz11 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm

As of July, the majority of 18-29 year olds live with their parents (52%)

I moved back home after college and saved money and moved out at 24. My dad moved back into his parents in his early 30s because his business wasn’t doing great. I don’t think it’s a big deal at all

Return to The General Board