ImageImageImage

Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,871

Re: Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End 

Post#1241 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics still need a vet SG/SF scorer off the bench in my opinion. Can’t count on NeSmith and Langford

U are right. But at end of day WTF? Nesmith and Langford were no. 14 picks. That is an nba contributor expectation, and a starter on some teams. Not expecting superstar, but they have to produce and be solid nba players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,973

Post#1242 » by sam_I_am » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Afam wrote:I agree though we are not a champion team. More moves has to be done to reach that status. The fan base also needs to start pushing ownership to improve the team. One championship in 12 years is not a good record. The ultimate goal in the NBA, in sports is to win a championship, and the Celtics/ownership has failed on that.

Although I agree with you, objectively it’s still rare to do better as only Warriors, Lakers and Heat have won more than 1 in last 12 years. You can add Spurs if you go back to when Ainge took over. Dallas, Toronto and Cavs are only other teams to even win one during Ainge tenure.

If you look at our timeline.....the Tatum, Brown, Smart run is about to begin and they have been to ECF twice. Irving, Hayward and Horford (... and IT as well) were valiant attempts to keep franchise relevant during an entire rebuild after hanging on to Big 3 so long. It has been very entertaining and many here have unrealistic expectations.

That said, it is time as you say for fans to hold Ainge and ownership accountable. We didn’t get a cheap title bought with free agency but the time to strike is now. The window after the rebuild has been opened and even barring catastrophic injuries may only be open for 3-4 years but hopefully longer. It’s time to construct a complete contender.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#1243 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics get one. Seriously anything is better than nothing. Opens up more flexibility

TPE for $30M for a second round pick. TPE is better than the Myles turner garbage we tried to say was great. That is a deferred impact player.

That would be amazing, this offseason would actually turn into a positive.

From the jump Hayward's salary for next season 27.9 mil that is the most any TPE would be for. But the reason that CHA would be interested in a S&T is to avoid having to waive and stretch Batum. So they need to get rid of that 7.9 mil. Obviously Zeller at 15mil is a solution that would reduce the TPE to 12.9 mil as is Rozier's 18.9 mil whish would reduce the TPE 9 mil. Rozier could likely be rerouted to another team with cap space like the Knicks and again creating the potential for full TPE of 27.9.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,635

Post#1244 » by The Corey's » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:53 pm

sully00 wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:TPE for $30M for a second round pick. TPE is better than the Myles turner garbage we tried to say was great. That is a deferred impact player.

From the jump Hayward's salary for next season 27.9 mil that is the most any TPE would be for. But the reason that CHA would be interested in a S&T is to avoid having to waive and stretch Batum. So they need to get rid of that 7.9 mil. Obviously Zeller at 15mil is a solution that would reduce the TPE to 12.9 mil as is Rozier's 18.9 mil whish would reduce the TPE 9 mil. Rozier could likely be rerouted to another team with cap space like the Knicks and again creating the potential for full TPE of 27.9.

Someone somewhere would of signed Batum so find that team and make it a three team deal so we can get our 27.9 exception and they can get out of the remaining Batum contract?
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#1245 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Tatum is a mvp caliber player, but that’s not enough to win a championship. You need at least one or two more stars. Thats just how the NBA operates.

The goal of sports is to win, entertain/entertainment , and make profits/money. You can’t act like it, pretend it doesn’t exist. To wish it away. Teams fire their coaches, make changes to their front office personnel due to lack of winning. If Danny Ainge was on any other team but the Celtics,he would have been fired. Let’s be honest about that. What saved Danny was the KG trade. I believe they would have mutually partied ways if that trade didn’t occur.

Winning, making the playoffs, winning a championship brings in revenue for the team and the league. No one wants to watch and root for a bad product like the Magic, at it Least most people wouldn’t, including me.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#1246 » by canman1971 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:01 pm

The Corey's wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:

Someone somewhere would of signed Batum so find that team and make it a three team deal so we can get our 27.9 exception and they can get out of the remaining Batum contract?

No team would take Batum's contract. Sure they'll sign him, after he is waived and Charlotte is on the hook for the money.
Afam
RealGM

Post#1247 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Read on Twitter
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1248 » by return2glory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Afam wrote:I agree though we are not a champion team. More moves has to be done to reach that status. The fan base also needs to start pushing ownership to improve the team. One championship in 12 years is not a good record. The ultimate goal in the NBA, in sports is to win a championship, and the Celtics/ownership has failed on that.

It’s not one championship in 12 years. Since 1987, this team has won one championship. So it’s really one championship in the past 33 years. Yes the current owners weren’t around for the past 33 years but they’ve also been here more than 12 years.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#1249 » by Banks2Pierce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Ainge is a top 3 gm and ends up being a victim of his own success. The warriors lose klay to an injury and suck while the Celtics lose hayward and still make the ecfs. We drafted so well that vets get salty about their shots because the young guys are better and the system is so good that everyone gets paid. Was even handcuffed in trades since we had too many assets and teams couldn't talk themselves into taking the best offer on the table since we had more we wouldn't include and they know he doesn't lose trades. Wonder if Charlotte's buyer's remorse will be just as fast as horford or if it'll take a bit longer.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#1250 » by The Corey's » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:05 pm

canman1971 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
sully00 wrote:

No team would take Batum's contract. Sure they'll sign him, after he is waived and Charlotte is on the hook for the money.

While 15 to 20 mil is better than nothing, its not really going to find us a impact player in this market.

Id bet you anything the thunder would take him for a FRP.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,261

Post#1251 » by Froob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Only the Heat, Lakers, and Warriors have multiple championships since 2008. This is kinda a high bar you’re setting.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#1252 » by The Corey's » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Froob wrote:

Only the Heat, Lakers, and Warriors have multiple championships since 2008. This is kinda a high bar you’re setting.

And yet Red would so the exact opposite.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#1253 » by celtxman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter
Get that TPE from Charlotte, S&T for AD :D
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#1254 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Assuming that Ainge can generate a TPE from Charlotte, Bogdan isn't the only option. George Hill and Trevor Ariza are veterans on expiring contracts. Presti is collecting picks, so let's give him Edwards and a second rounder for one of those players.

Or PJ Tucker, Rudy Gay, Georges Niang, Dion Waiters, Nemanja Bjelica, both Hernangomez brothers, Aron Baynes, Dario Saric, Kelly Olynyk, JJ Redick, Nicolo Melli, Derrick Rose, Syviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Tony Snell-- all in the last year of their deals.

And then there's the rumor that the Clips are trying to unload Patrick Beverley, who has two years remaining. Seeeing Pat Bev and Smart in the same backcourt would be worth the price of admission.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1255 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 pm

Who would we target if we got a TPE. We need a wing but I cant find any obvious solutions. Ariza was the best I could come up with, but he’s a total meh
Afam
RealGM

Post#1256 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Froob wrote:

We are the Celtics. The bar has to be high Froob. Lol
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1257 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Who would we target if we got a TPE. We need a wing but I cant find any obvious solutions. Ariza was the best I could come up with, but he’s a total meh

PJ Tucker. Perfect fit.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1258 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:14 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:Horford and Hayward both signed enormous contracts after playing here. This may help the Celtics in the long run. You play here = $$$

Irving and Rozier too.

Don't forget Evan Turner.

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1259 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Afam wrote:Tatum is a mvp caliber player, but that’s not enough to win a championship. You need at least one or two more stars. Thats just how the NBA operates.

The goal of sports is to win, entertain/entertainment , and make profits/money. You can’t act like it, pretend it doesn’t exist. To wish it away. Teams fire their coaches, make changes to their front office personnel due to lack of winning. If Danny Ainge was on any other team but the Celtics,he would have been fired. Let’s be honest about that. What saved Danny was the KG trade. I believe they would have mutually partied ways if that trade didn’t occur.

Winning, making the playoffs, winning a championship brings in revenue for the team and the league. No one wants to watch and root for a bad product like the Magic, at it Least most people wouldn’t, including me.

What would you have done differently?

Not tanking enough the Smart draft year and missing out on Embiid is the biggest misfire to me.
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,681

Post#1260 » by GotDaSauce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Froob wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:Horford and Hayward both signed enormous contracts after playing here. This may help the Celtics in the long run. You play here = $$$

Irving and Rozier too.

And ET.

I'm sure ET has a written Brad into his will after he miraculously revived his career and took care of generations of his family with that new contract! :D

Return to Boston Celtics