ImageImage

Bucks sign Bobby Portis

higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#161 » by higharc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am

From what I have seen so far, Bud is much more capable of molding talented players into useful role players than expanding the game of established role players.
Considering this, Portis can be a value signing.

If that doesn't work, he can always go to work against second unit centers and forwards. One can believe Augustine will be even better coordinating that second unit offensively than Hill. At least better at putting him into good plays.

His defense is an issue, but another poster already wrote how his drop coverage fits right into our system. Could be bad if we need him to defend in the playoffs, but no one knows how he will behave when he finds himself in a contender. These situations sometimes push you to mature quickly (supposing he has a desire to be a winner).

He plays with an edge, which is common also with our other new guys in some degree.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#162 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm

I've said it before but Portis is a lot like Brandon Knight. If you reduce him to a sum of individual skills and athletic ability that are apparent in workouts, he looks like a good all-around player, but he just can't put it together. There's something fundamentally wrong with his processing of the action on the court. Jabari had that issue too, although obviously all 3 players had different skill-sets and personalities. RoLo will be a more effective player than Portis next year. Personally I think Ersan will be as well.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,086

Post#163 » by BigO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 pm

I think the Portis and Augustine signings are Horst panicking. Both players can shoot and that's what he's looking for. But he's doing it at the expense of the defense. Both these players are horrible defenders.

Now if you think you think the problem in the playoffs the past two years was solely on the offense, I get it. But it wasn't. The defense was horrid in the playoffs. Most of it is on Bud, as he refuses to change and thinks because it works in the regular season it will work in the playoffs.

So we've lost some pretty good defenders (Bled, Ers, Hill, Rolo, Matthews) and gained one good defender (Holiday) and two horrible defenders. If we lose Donte, we lose another good defender. This will take it's toll. I see the Portis signing as one doomed to failure. He isn't good following directions and will be a sieve on defense. Get a 3 and D guy.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#164 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:20 pm

BigO wrote:
Now if you think you think the problem in the playoffs the past two years was solely on the offense, I get it. But it wasn't. The defense was horrid in the playoffs. Most of it is on Bud, as he refuses to change and thinks because it works in the regular season it will work in the playoffs.

And even if you don't think defense was a problem in the playoffs last year, it will be now. Can't play Jrue, Giannis, Brook, and DDV 48 mpg. And Brook is crazy overrated on defense. Smart offenses can exploit his lack of mobility at will.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#165 » by LUKE23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:36 pm

The starting five is better defensively than last year, even though we lost two good defenders. Jrue is a better defender than Bled and DDV is a better defender than Wes (Wes was very good on ball, DDV is good on ball but is amazing in the passing lanes and just more athletic at this point of his career). Portis is definitely not a defender, but also provides more offensive talent than we had off the bench last year. I would like to see them add a few more bench defenders, and think they will.

This is going to be a team that plays its starters more in the playoffs than last year, obviously. I don't think that is a bad thing. Obviously they can't play 48 mpg, but I'm also glad we aren't going to be going 11 deep. If we can play the starters 36 mpg apiece in the playoffs, that leaves a total of 60 mpg to split up from the bench.

I see most of our lineups featuring 3 or 4 starters at all times. Obviously this team cannot afford injuries, but their starting five is definitely more suited for the playoffs than last year.
MiCo7
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#166 » by MiCo7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Portis was a 2yr 4 million per. Thats not a panick move.

DJ Augustine may have gotten a bit much but I'm curious to see how Jrue/DJ play the 2 man game with Giannis. More so with DJ as I'm not to familiar with Jrues game.
BigO wrote:I think the Portis and Augustine signings are Horst panicking. Both players can shoot and that's what he's looking for. But he's doing it at the expense of the defense. Both these players are horrible defenders.

So we've lost some pretty good defenders (Bled, Ers, Hill, Rolo, Matthews) and gained one good defender (Holiday) and two horrible defenders. If we lose Donte, we lose another good defender. This will take it's toll. I see the Portis signing as one doomed to failure. He isn't good following directions and will be a sieve on defense. Get a 3 and D guy.

Sent from my SM-T510 using RealGM mobile app
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#167 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:45 pm

I think this was the best move of the offseason so far for the Bucks. Some are talking like he's Drew Gooden. More often than not his teams have been neutral or better with him on the court.

And he's almost always played on teams who were expected to do poorly. He's been on one who squeaked into the playoffs in the lowly east, when he was still a developing player. And he performed pretty well in the playoffs in the minutes he was afforded.

The guy is a fierce competitor & I think his level will rise even more on a contending team. He's a slightly more likeable long lost Morris Twin. Bucks got him on the cheap too, w/ a prove it deal. Horst & Edens got their concession all these yrs later.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,086

Post#168 » by BigO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
BigO wrote:

And even if you don't think defense was a problem in the playoffs last year, it will be now. Can't play Jrue, Giannis, Brook, and DDV 48 mpg. And Brook is crazy overrated on defense. Smart offenses can exploit his lack of mobility at will.

Brooks defense works when they play a strict man for man defense and don't switch, because then Brook can clog the middle. The problem is that the good teams have learned to dismantle that defense in the playoffs. The question is whether bud is willing to switch like almost every other team does. He does it once in a while, but rarely. So Bud needs to change, but if he does, then Brook is worthless in a switching man defense.

And Portis is horrible in any defense. There is a reason for the term 3 and D. With Portis and Augustine, they forgot the D. But I guess if Miami can flourish with sieves like robinson and Herro at the guards, anything is possible.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#169 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Sorry guys - I'm not gonna lie. I've followed Portis quite a bit in the NBA, and... he's not good. He might be the worst defensive big in the NBA, and he's not particularly good on offense - because he's got poor shot selection and doesn't pass - offsetting the fact that he does have shooting range. He's also a cheap shot artist, because he knows he's so bad defensively that the only way he can stop most players is by taking a cheap shot. Terrible signing. This is the kind of signing they needed to avoid. Just awful. And he'll have a couple decent games, and people will say - hey, he's not bad at all. And then you'll see how putrid he really is.

Btw, Craig and Forbes were both solid signings.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Bernman wrote:I think this was the best move of the offseason so far for the Bucks. Some are talking like he's Drew Gooden. More often than not his teams have been neutral or better with him on the court.

And he's almost always played on teams who were expected to do poorly. He's been on one who squeaked into the playoffs in the lowly east, when he was still a developing player. And he performed pretty well in the playoffs in the minutes he was afforded.

The guy is a fierce competitor & I think his level will rise even more on a contending team. He's a slightly more likeable long lost Morris Twin. Bucks got him on the cheap too, w/ a prove it deal. Horst & Edens got their concession all these yrs later.

Fierce competitor my arse - he's a cheap shot artist.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#171 » by LuessiT » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:Sorry guys - I'm not gonna lie. I've followed Portis quite a bit in the NBA, and... he's not good. He might be the worst defensive big in the NBA, and he's not particularly good on offense - because he's got poor shot selection and doesn't pass - offsetting the fact that he does have shooting range. He's also a cheap shot artist, because he knows he's so bad defensively that the only way he can stop most players is by taking a cheap shot. Terrible signing. This is the kind of signing they needed to avoid. Just awful. And he'll have a couple decent games, and people will say - hey, he's not bad at all. And then you'll see how putrid he really is.

Yeah I don't like him personally. That said, I think the deal has value around the league. He's a guy I'd mark as trade fodder as soon as he's eligible.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#172 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Bernman wrote:I think this was the best move of the offseason so far for the Bucks. Some are talking like he's Drew Gooden. More often than not his teams have been neutral or better with him on the court.

Fierce competitor my arse - he's a cheap shot artist.

...as many fierce competitors are, like the aforementioned Morris twins. They can't control their aggression at times.

You don't like the man personally, so that certainly could lead to exaggerations about their effectiveness. The Morris Twins had the perception a few yrs in they couldn't play/defend, in addition to being pricks.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:41 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Sorry guys - I'm not gonna lie. I've followed Portis quite a bit in the NBA, and... he's not good. He might be the worst defensive big in the NBA, and he's not particularly good on offense - because he's got poor shot selection and doesn't pass - offsetting the fact that he does have shooting range. He's also a cheap shot artist, because he knows he's so bad defensively that the only way he can stop most players is by taking a cheap shot. Terrible signing. This is the kind of signing they needed to avoid. Just awful. And he'll have a couple decent games, and people will say - hey, he's not bad at all. And then you'll see how putrid he really is.

Yeah I don't like him personally. That said, I think the deal has value around the league. He's a guy I'd mark as trade fodder as soon as he's eligible.

Again - I'm being brutally honest - I can't imagine any decent team would want him, and he's past the age of having untapped upside. We're stuck with him - except for the possibility of him being trade filler.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#174 » by LuessiT » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Again - I'm being brutally honest - I can't imagine any decent team would want him, and he's past the age of having untapped upside. We're stuck with him - except for the possibility of him being trade filler.

I don't think a team that we want something from actively wants him, but he shouldn't be seen as a negative as filler.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#175 » by leroyjw10 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Portis has previously played on bad teams in bad situations. I'm not going to hold that against him. A good system with an established pecking order can turn almost anyone around.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Istanbullus wrote:From my buddy, a Bulls fan: "No guaranty he'll win you any games but it's a guaranty he might lose you a couple with his shot selection. Also guaranteed that the Bucks will be more fun to watch. He's a wild one."

Exactly - Fun to watch for people who aren't fans of the Bucks! :banghead:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:Portis has previously played on bad teams in bad situations. I'm not going to hold that against him. A good system with an established pecking order can turn almost anyone around.

But he's been a contributing reason for those teams being bad. Of course that should be held against him.
MiCo7
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#178 » by MiCo7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Because the Knicks and Bulls have been ran fantastically and had good teams....
Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:Portis has previously played on bad teams in bad situations. I'm not going to hold that against him. A good system with an established pecking order can turn almost anyone around.

But he's been a contributing reason for those teams being bad. Of course that should be held against him.

Sent from my SM-T510 using RealGM mobile app
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,396

Post#179 » by GoldenAntlers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:07 pm

LuessiT wrote:

Good way to look at it.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#180 » by BucksFanSD » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

14/9 season before this when he last had a good PG (Wall). 3 PG % above 40 %. The main difference with the Bucks is he's making $2-3M instead of $15M. He calls himself an underdog and he's got that underdog contract again. Not a guy I would count out and his edge will do us more good than harm is my guess.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks