Montrezl Harrell vs Serge Ibaka + Lakers vs Clippers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Which signing is better?

Lakers sign Harrell
26%
Clippers sign Ibaka
74%

Total votes: 62

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Montrezl Harrell vs Serge Ibaka + Lakers vs Clippers 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Questions

1. Which signing is better? (Lakers sign Harrell or Clippers sign Ibaka)

2. Generally, who would you rather sign for 1+1 at full MLE? (Harrell or Ibaka)

3. You're the Lakers' GM. Who would you rather sign for 1+1 at full MLE? (Harrell or Ibaka)

4. You're the Clippers' GM. Who would you rather sign for 1+1 at full MLE? (Harrell or Ibaka)
#thevillain
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,795

Re: Montrezl Harrell vs Serge Ibaka + Lakers vs Clippers 

Post#2 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Ibaka is just more useful player for a contender
:reporter:
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#3 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Ibaka, Ibaka, Ibaka, Ibaka

Trez was a good signing though.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#4 » by Boarder Patrol » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Ibaka, but I think a good backup C signing like Gasol could bounce the off-season back in the Lakers’ favor.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#5 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Ibaka but don’t think he was an option lakers
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#6 » by DeathLineup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:54 pm

1. Lakers sign Harrell

2. Harrell

3. Harrell

4. Ibaka
#thevillain
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#7 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:03 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Ibaka but don’t think he was an option lakers

If I was Ibaka I would have chose the lakers over the clippers in a scenario where he is choosing between the two LA teams. I wonder how much influence Kawhi had in his choice. From what I had seen in the media Serge would have likely been higher on the lakers wish list. in fact I never saw Harell anywhere on the lakers radar, likely why it was quite the surprise to fans
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#8 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Yenrallik1111 wrote:

If I was Ibaka I would have chose the lakers over the clippers in a scenario where he is choosing between the two LA teams. I wonder how much influence Kawhi had in his choice. From what I had seen in the media Serge would have likely been higher on the lakers wish list. in fact I never saw Harell anywhere on the lakers radar, likely why it was quite the surprise to fans

Think some players are happier playing with their friends. Brooklyn was his other choice
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:19 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Yenrallik1111 wrote:

Think some players are happier playing with their friends. Brooklyn was his other choice

Yeah, playing with friends seems like quite popular in NBA over the last decade or so. Since lebron teamed with wade and bosh
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,007

Post#10 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 pm

On the Clippers roster - Ibaka is a better fit because they lack a rim protector, which IMO, was their biggest need coming into the offseason. The fact that he is a floor spacer is an added bonus

For the Lakers, Harrell at his best is better than Ibaka at his best, and in closing lineups with AD, Harrell's lack of rim protection is minimized. Harrell/Davis is also a better combination than Ibaka/Davis. The concern with the Lakers with letting Dwight Howard walk for the minimum (a mistake IMO) is in a playoff series against Denver or Philadelphia, you will need to play big - with Howard and McGee having 12 fouls to use on Jokic/Embid and limiting the time Davis has to spend guarding them. Of course, this concern is limited depending on how the Lakers bring in to replace Howard.

So in summary - Harrell is the better player, and his weakness is covered by AD in LA. Ibaka is a better fit for the Clippers as they had a major rim protection hole.
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:34 pm

R-DAWG wrote:On the Clippers roster - Ibaka is a better fit because they lack a rim protector, which IMO, was their biggest need coming into the offseason. The fact that he is a floor spacer is an added bonus

For the Lakers, IMO they are at their best with Anthony Davis at C, and they got by with a combination of JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard at C last year (letting Howard walk from the minimum without a replacement in place is a mistake). The upside of Harrell, as a player, is far greater than Ibaka.

So in summary - Harrell is the better player, and his weakness is covered by AD in LA. Ibaka is a better fit for the Clippers as they had a major rim protection hole.

wow, at this point not a chance R-Dawg. Ibaka has an inside out game on offense and can impact the defensive side of things better right now. he has more experience/has had more impact in meaningful games. then there is his size advantage. Harell is really, when it comes down to it, a hustle energy guy. virtually zero offensive game and undersized for the center position. a harell at age 33-34 would not be as good as Ibaka at age 33-34 if Harell can not at least develop a decent outside shot. even then I rather have Ibaka. this really is not even close IMHO.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#12 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Yenrallik1111 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:On the Clippers roster - Ibaka is a better fit because they lack a rim protector, which IMO, was their biggest need coming into the offseason. The fact that he is a floor spacer is an added bonus

For the Lakers, IMO they are at their best with Anthony Davis at C, and they got by with a combination of JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard at C last year (letting Howard walk from the minimum without a replacement in place is a mistake). The upside of Harrell, as a player, is far greater than Ibaka.

wow, at this point not a chance R-Dawg. Ibaka has an inside out game on offense and can impact the defensive side of things better right now. he has more experience/has had more impact in meaningful games. then there is his size advantage. Harell is really, when it comes down to it, a hustle energy guy. virtually zero offensive game and undersized for the center position. a harell at age 33-34 would not be as good as Ibaka if Harell can not at least develop a decent outside shot. even then I rather have Ibaka. this really is not even close IMHO.

Both Harrell and Ibaka came off the bench last year. One was the 6th man of the year, the other wasn't in the conversation for the same. You might prefer Ibaka the player - but the on court results from last season say that Harrell is currently the better player.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,767

Post#13 » by Marrrcuss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm

I think peoples opinions have a lot of feeling with them. As R-Dawg just noted, Harrell won 6th man of the year while averaging 19 a game. He was a mismatch night mare for many teams and that will only get worse now being that you have to pick between lebron, AD and Harrell. Of course Harrell doesnt get one of your top 2 defenders.

Ibaka is Morris with shotblocking, although he didnt block a lot last year
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Yenrallik1111 wrote:

wow, at this point not a chance R-Dawg. Ibaka has an inside out game on offense and can impact the defensive side of things better right now. he has more experience/has had more impact in meaningful games. then there is his size advantage. Harell is really, when it comes down to it, a hustle energy guy. virtually zero offensive game and undersized for the center position. a harell at age 33-34 would not be as good as Ibaka if Harell can not at least develop a decent outside shot. even then I rather have Ibaka. this really is not even close IMHO.

Both Harrell and Ibaka came off the bench last year. One was the 6th man of the year, the other wasn't in the conversation for the same. You might prefer Ibaka the player - but the on court results from last season say that Harrell is currently the better player.

no no no, montrezl-18.6 and 7.1/serge 15.4 and 8.2 ... soooo on court results kind of looks like a wash from that perspective. Firstly, Ibaka started too many games to be part of the 6th man of the year conversation. If you replace harell with Ibaka on that team last year he starts over Zubac without a doubt. and where you see a better numbers from Harell I see a better front court in Toronto where Ibaka was not required to do as much. no disrespect or anything, but you are not factoring in nearly enough variables with your comparison.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#15 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:I think peoples opinions have a lot of feeling with them. As R-Dawg just noted, Harrell won 6th man of the year while averaging 19 a game. He was a mismatch night mare for many teams and that will only get worse now being that you have to pick between lebron, AD and Harrell. Of course Harrell doesnt get one of your top 2 defenders.

This better defines my point - the upside of Harrell in this role is higher than the upside Ibaka would bring to the Lakers. The move could also backfire and not work.

However, on the Clippers - Ibaka is a better fit even if he doesn't have the ceiling of Harrell.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#16 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Yenrallik1111 wrote:

Don't think projecting what Harrell will be at 34 vs what Ibaka is now is how to compare who the better player currently. Harrell won't even be a Laker by then.
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:I think peoples opinions have a lot of feeling with them. As R-Dawg just noted, Harrell won 6th man of the year while averaging 19 a game. He was a mismatch night mare for many teams and that will only get worse now being that you have to pick between lebron, AD and Harrell. Of course Harrell doesnt get one of your top 2 defenders.

personally, feelings have nothing to do with it for me. feelings get in the way of logical/rational thinking. right now, I rather have Ibaka starting next to Davis than Harell. especially with the chip window smaller with lebron at his age. do not get me wrong harell is nice and is a solid pick up. he will for sure help the lakers get back to the finals if he can at the least maintain his level of play. just have not seen a sign of the technical skill Ibaka has presently.
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Yenrallik1111 wrote:

Don't think projecting what Harrell will be at 34 vs what Ibaka is now is how to compare who the better player currently. Harrell won't even be a Laker by then.

sorry meant to say harell at 33-34 compared to Ibaka at 33-34.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#19 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm

Yenrallik1111 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Yenrallik1111 wrote:

sorry meant to say harell at 33-34 compared to Ibaka at 33-34.

Only problem here is Montrez Harrell is 26 years old, turning 27 in January.

He has a 2 year contract, with the second year a player option.

I'm not really sure how this is relevant, especially considering Lebron James will be 41-42 when Harrell is 33-34.

Look, I am in no way saying Harrell to the Lakers is a home run - it's high risk, high reward. I think it's the right move for the Lakers, just like I think Ibaka is the right move for the Clippers. Harrell's ceiling is higher, Ibaka's floor is higher. Sometimes, different players make sense for different situations.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,767

Post#20 » by Marrrcuss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 pm

R-DAWG wrote:

This better defines my point - the upside of Harrell in this role is higher than the upside Ibaka would bring to the Lakers. The move could also backfire and not work.

However, on the Clippers - Ibaka is a better fit even if he doesn't have the ceiling of Harrell.

If he were starting, i would agree.

But bringing energy off the bench with (hopefully) Schroeder, please give me Harrell.

Return to Trades and Transactions