ImageImageImageImageImage

So.... what do we do about the frontcourt now?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Re: So.... what do we do about the frontcourt now? 

Post#221 » by Yeezus_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:what a disastrous free agency so far.

why the F would Giannis come here if he doesn't sign the supermax in Milwaukee.

Giles went to Portland and all we're left with is Boucher and maybe a decrepit Gasol

It's Masai & Bobby you're talking about here. Just relax, I'm sure they have quite a few contingency plans for every situation.
Yeezy SZN approaching
ThemCrookedRefs
Head Coach
And1: 11,190

Post#222 » by ThemCrookedRefs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Willy Hernangomez
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#223 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:

Giles went to Portland and all we're left with is Boucher and maybe a decrepit Gasol

It's Masai & Bobby you're talking about here. Just relax, I'm sure they have quite a few contingency plans for every situation.

if they are trying to get Gasol to come back, thats a terrible back up plan, lets be honest right now. :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#224 » by Mak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:11 pm

If Giannis was coming here he was not coming here to play with Gasol or Ibaka. Nothing really changes. We went from finishing in top 4 of the east to 6-7. At the end of the day we just get a better draft asset.
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#225 » by gbball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:C
---
Marc Gasol
DeMarcus Cousins
Hassan Whiteside
Aron Baynes
Bismack Biyombo
Willie Cauley-Stein
Tyson Chandler
Cheick Diallo
Harry Giles III
John Henson
Willy Hernangomez
Alex Len

Damien Jones
Skal Labissiere
Thon Maker
Ian Mahinmi
Kyle O'Quinn
Ante Zizic

PF
---
Wilson Chandler
Torrey Craig
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Ersan Ilyasova
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Noah Vonleh
Marvin Williams

Made a list of guys whos left....Take your pick...Tbh i could see Masai going after Chieck Diallo/Torrey Craig type guys and maybe one more big on that list

Am I crazy? What about Bruno Caboclo, he can provide some spacing and he's switchable on defense and his length is disruptive. Not as strong or polished as Serge, but still has a ton of upside.

Not sure what I'm not seeing other than the popular opinion is that he's a scrub. He has been productive when given a longer leash. Plus, we'll need someone who can guard guys like Giannis and KD.

He's a free agent, but I don't see him on anyone's list as a possible replacement.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#226 » by dalton749 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 pm

will wrote:
JN wrote:
dalton749 wrote:Time to find a way to move Kyle for horford. Only way to salvage the front court at this point.

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.

Did Elton Brand take over GM duties for the Raptors?

Yea making the team better by balancing the lineup and getting back some draft picks is insane because the guy is overpaid by about 5 mil per year. Let’s just roll with no starting caliber center and 50 mil tied up at pg instead, I’m sure that will go great.

The people acting like horford is useless need to actually read into themselves and not just follow the consensus around here which is beyond silly at this point. We won a championship paying Kyle 30 mil, gasol 25 mil and ibaka 22 mil. 26 mil for horford is far from the end of the world. He’s a much better player than gasol has been at a similar number.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#227 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Mak wrote:

If Giannis was coming here he was not coming here to play with Gasol or Ibaka. Nothing really changes. We went from finishing in top 4 of the east to 6-7. At the end of the day we just get a better draft asset.

I know but here is the problem: Masai and Webster want to compete though - they want Ibaka and Gasol back.

thats the clear indicator that Raptors are capped out, no championship aspiration this coming year, but the signs show the execs want to still be competitive enough maybe at least get to the ECF.

they aren't planning on finishing on the bottom of the ECF playoff standings with the moves they are trying to make. the fact they can't offer long term contracts is the problem with our free agency problem.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Supermann98
Assistant Coach
And1: 648

Post#228 » by Supermann98 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:16 pm

My first choice would be Cousins, but I don't know if salary-wise they could entice him on a 1-year deal and under the cap
Supermann98
Assistant Coach
And1: 648

Post#229 » by Supermann98 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 pm

MavCarter wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:Shoulda signed Noel for the 1 year, Masai in shambles.

What does nerlens have going other than he was a high draft pick that everyone knows?

Yeah and didn't he blow out a leg in each of his first two years?
Mak
RealGM

Post#230 » by Mak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Mak wrote:

I know but here is the problem: Masai and Webster want to compete though - they want Ibaka and Gasol back.

thats the clear indicator that Raptors are capped out, no championship aspiration this coming year, but the signs show the execs want to still be competitive enough maybe at least get to the ECF.

they aren't planning on finishing on the bottom of the ECF playoff standings with the moves they are trying to make. the fact they can't offer long term contracts is the problem with our free agency problem.

They want to complete while making sure they have cap space for a max contract next year. We knew this was the plan for like 2 years now. Sure it will make us worse next year but I dont see it as a problem.
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#231 » by gbball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Bull-E wrote:Time to think a little creatively. No point chasing any of the available middling traditional centres who will easily get chased off the court come playoff time.

First, try to bring Gasol back, but focus his role on being more a guy who gets called upon to face more conventional Cs. Having him around for an Embiid, Lopez or Jordan matchup may be worth a new contract in of itself.

Next, the crazy talk, BRUNO! Hear me out -- by all accounts, he's now a smart, nba-level defender and rebounder. The idea would be to have him as an option to play with Siakam and Anunoby when the matchup calls for an ultra-switchy, versatile frontcourt. If he can be a fifth option who doesn't disrupt the offense too much, this could be a plus. Think Rondae with less handles but a jumpshot.

That's what I've been hoping for all this time. If he lands in the right situation, I think he can break out. I think this version of the Raptors would be perfect timing. He's ready to contribute, needs an opportunity and we're still competing, but long shot contenders, and we have a need for what he can provide. I'd love to see a rotation, with Siakam, Boucher and Bruno at the 4/5. Maybe bring Gasol back as a mentor.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#232 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Wth hell masai doing?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#233 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Mak wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Mak wrote:

They want to complete while making sure they have cap space for a max contract next year. We knew this was the plan for like 2 years now. Sure it will make us worse next year but I dont see it as a problem.

I don't see it as a problem - i'm saying it has been a disaster of a free agency for the Raptors. not being able to get your own FA to sign back for 1 year is pretty disastrous, competitively. I'm just calling it as I see it. of course Raptors are all in in 2021 FA but we're basically sacrificing the 2021 season lol

short term pain, hopefully long term gain.
Mak
RealGM

Post#234 » by Mak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:27 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Mak wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

I don't see it as a problem - i'm saying it has been a disaster of a free agency for the Raptors. not being able to get your own FA to sign back for 1 year is pretty disastrous, competitively. I'm just calling it as I see it. of course Raptors are all in in 2021 FA but we're basically sacrificing the 2021 season lol

short term pain, hopefully long term gain.

Disaster? even with Fred signing? That's harsh. But lets see how it all plays out.
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#235 » by StringerBell » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Having max cap space for next off sesaon is great. Problem is other teams will have space as well, most notably Dallas and Miami. And if they're having trouble this off season retaining their own free agents (Ibaka and Gasol), finish 6th and are a first round out; forget Giannis, there won't be many top FA's looking to sign here in 2021. This really is the beginning of the crossroads for them.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#236 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Does Marcus even want to come back?

It seems like he's entertaining other offers, including from Europe as well.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#237 » by anotherhomer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm

let's see...our big target harry giles went to portland
marc gasol to lakers

wow, one step closer to shamblelands!
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#238 » by Yeezus_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:

if they are trying to get Gasol to come back, thats a terrible back up plan, lets be honest right now. :lol:

Well Ibaka or Gasol was never going to be a multi year deal lol. It was always a 1 year thing so it doesnt even matter much when you look at the bigger picture
Yeezy SZN approaching
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Re: So.... what do we do a9bout the frontcourt now? 

Post#239 » by witnessraps » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:53 pm

We literally need to sign at least 4 bigs. Right now we have no one but siakam and he is more of a SF. Hopefully masai and bobby have something up their sleeve
Caped Crusader
Veteran
And1: 3,863

Post#240 » by Caped Crusader » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Completely speculating here but maybe the front office is low-key looking to get Turner or something. We know the Pacers were willing to trade him to the Celtics for Hayward. Perhaps we're looking to dangle Powell as the centerpiece with Johnson and McCaw to match salaries?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Return to Toronto Raptors