Who Actually Wants Julius Randle?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Who Actually Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Is there any team where Julius Randle makes sense?

Knicks can take back up to $44 Million in salary.

Which teams are hard capped or into the tax?

Looking for better fitting 2021 expiring contracts (aka shooters) and possibly assets/picks
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Re: Who Actually Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Batum straight up almost completely solves our issue with fitting in Hayward. Maybe we throw in a 2nd as NY would take back $8M this year and Charlotte takes back $4M next year
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#3 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Batum straight up almost completely solves our issue with fitting in Hayward. Maybe we throw in a 2nd as NY would take back $8M this year and Charlotte takes back $4M next year

Maybe ? :lol:

There’s also the much better at basketball aspect.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm

*crickets*
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#5 » by NYG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Batum straight up almost completely solves our issue with fitting in Hayward. Maybe we throw in a 2nd as NY would take back $8M this year and Charlotte takes back $4M next year

I would do it for a good second or two average ones with plans of a follow up trade where we get another team out of tax territory for assets
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:29 pm

This is pretty much perfect.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#7 » by eminence » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:30 pm

I toyed with the idea to open up some cap for Utah in free agency, but with that passing us by I don't see much reason for Utah to be interested anymore.
I bought a boat.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#8 » by TGW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pm

The Batum idea is a good one IMO. The Knicks could use the culture change and getting rid of Randle's stench and adding a vet like Batum would accomplish that.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach

Post#9 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm

TGW wrote:The Batum idea is a good one IMO. The Knicks could use the culture change and getting rid of Randle's stench and adding a vet like Batum would accomplish that.
How does getting a guy like Batum, who completely quit after signing his big deal, add to the culture?
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Ingles
Ingles is cooked.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#11 » by chrbal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm

It would have to wait a bit, but I could see the thunder take a flier on him to see if they could get his value back up. You’d probably lose a good pick dealing with them, but they could piece something together.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#12 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
TGW wrote:The Batum idea is a good one IMO. The Knicks could use the culture change and getting rid of Randle's stench and adding a vet like Batum would accomplish that.
How does getting a guy like Batum, who completely quit after signing his big deal, add to the culture?

I imagine Batum just chills at home till he's cut or traded. Don't think culture changes unless trading Randle is addition by subtraction.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,346

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:12 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:

I imagine Batum just chills at home till he's cut or traded. Don't think culture changes unless trading Randle is addition by subtraction.

losing Randle is addition by subtraction. But Batum's issue wasn't being a bad guy. It was injury causing his game to fall apart. Knicks could definitely have him in the room but in a suit most game days and be in better shape. Plus they definitely benefit by spending some cap space this off-season to gain some for next year.

But any possessions you are going to waste on Randle would have been better served going to Toppin.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 1,990

Post#14 » by Rockazoids » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote: How does getting a guy like Batum, who completely quit after signing his big deal, add to the culture?

losing Randle is addition by subtraction. But Batum's issue wasn't being a bad guy. It was injury causing his game to fall apart. Knicks could definitely have him in the room but in a suit most game days and be in better shape. Plus they definitely benefit by spending some cap space this off-season to gain some for next year.

But any possessions you are going to waste on Randle would have been better served going to Toppin.

It's not like the Knicks are going to be using that $4 M in cap next year. No need to waste money on Batum to do nothing.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach

Post#15 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote: How does getting a guy like Batum, who completely quit after signing his big deal, add to the culture?

Randle is not a bad team guy. At all. He is not a negative influence on team culture. At all.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,476

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Rockazoids wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:I imagine Batum just chills at home till he's cut or traded. Don't think culture changes unless trading Randle is addition by subtraction.

It's not like the Knicks are going to be using that $4 M in cap next year. No need to waste money on Batum to do nothing.

It's not like the Knicks are going to be using that $8 M in cap this year?

Personally I would ask for a small asset to account for the 4m dollar gap. But freeing up more cap space for next offseason is worth losing cap space in this offseason at this stage to me.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#17 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm

BOS could jump in and pay whatever the draft pick cost is to create the TPE. I could see us throwing a couple 2nds to NY and a couple 2nds to CHA.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#18 » by Resistance » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm

If the expectation is that Toppin is going to get minutes ASAP, then somebody is going to have to sacrifice minutes. If that somebody is Randle, then the 2020-21 season is going to be Randle's contract year and he wasn't happy when the Lakers had him in a less than favorable situation at the start of the last year of his rookie contract.

In the 2019-20 season, Randle had quite a bit of the spotlight. If the spotlight is shifted to Barrett. Robinson, Toppin etc, it seems that Randle might be an unhappy camper.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:22 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:I imagine Batum just chills at home till he's cut or traded. Don't think culture changes unless trading Randle is addition by subtraction.

Randle is not a bad team guy. At all. He is not a negative influence on team culture. At all.

Randle seems likable enough. The problem with him is on the court where he’s essentially a ball stopper offensively. Getting him off the court seems like it would be a positive in allowing Barrett/Toppin much more of a real offensive system and flow in which to develop.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#20 » by loserX » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

I happen to like Randle, but admittedly the market for him will be thin unless the Knicks are willing to take back bad salary, which they shouldn't.

The Batum swap seems reasonable if the Hornets pay for it. If I'm the Knicks I don't get bullied over Randle's $4M buyout next year, which can be stretched over 3 years for less than the veteran minimum.

The Kings seem like a possibility if they want to move Hield's money, and the Knicks can at least sell Hield as a useful player.

Return to Trades and Transactions