ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers roster, what's next?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#561 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 am

esqtvd wrote:There was surely some nodding and winking going on somewhere--maybe even just from Kawhi:

There was no $64M/4 year deal out there like the Clips threw at Marcus Morris, so Kawhi rings up and says, hey bro, come run one with me and PG. Weather's great, private jet, nice facility. Richest owner in sports, treats us like kings. Beats the hell out of the Raptors decamping to Tampa because of the COVID, living like refugees in hotel rooms and borrowed high-school practice gyms.

If we win, I'll hold a gun to his head and make sure Ballmer gives you the big dough to get me to re-sign. And if it all goes to hell, we're all out of here in June. Sound like a plan? :D

Yea that sounds about right. Next offseason Kawhi will have the Clippers franchise by the balls, and can dictate moves. Serge Ibaka will get all the bennies and then some for coming to LAC now, during its time of most direst need. Sadly Serge cant get paid again with the Clips, if he opts out, with the Clippers capped out assuming both PG13 and Kawhi get mega maxes, Serge has to go elsewhere, unless he opts in for another year for early bird rights.

Man this offseason has been exciting as hell. Lakers thought they pulled a fast one on LAC "stealing" Harrell, boy theyre gonna be surprsied at how limited he is and how much of a locker room toxic **** he is. Doc did EVERYTHING for the bum and he still turned on the team.

Ibaka is like 3 times the player Harrell is, man, i was having doubts with LAC when they were losing players, made a crazy deal to Marcus Morris, but they wanted that non tax MLE... and Ballmer gets his man...
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#562 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 am

NickP wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Still need a playmaking point guard to feed all these guys

Exactly!

Yup, that’s how they got killed in the playoffs. No one on this team can run simple plays or actions for each other.

Everyone plays hero ball one on one.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#563 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 am

NickP wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Still need a playmaking point guard to feed all these guys

Exactly!

I'm always on the "just sign Lin already" mantra, trying will it to existence. I mean, if you just want some old vet min PG who'll feed dudes without going rogue, wont go for his own stats, bitch complain about touches/shots, just go with Lin already :clap:

But for the BAE, hmm, this is a tough one, lemme do a roster depth minutes chart to see what's missing.

C - Serge (16), Zubac (32)
PF- MoMorris (32), Serge (16), Kabengele
SF- Kawhi (32), Kennard (16), Mann
SG- PG13 (32), Lou Will (16)
PG- PatBev (28), Lou Will (10) Lin (10)

Either a BAE backup PG (RJax?) or a BAE long SG/SF (someone in the Wes Matthews mold). I think a BAE long SG/SF is more important, due to the fact that Kawhi and PG13 should be load managing about 20% of the season, taking turns on off days so one of em is always starting. Thus the team needs someone who can pinch start when those 2 guys are resting. MoMorris can prolly start at SF a bit, if Kabengele plays well and needs mins at PF. Overall i'd like an extra long SG/SF body to absorb those mins to keep Kawhi/PG13 fresh.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#564 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 am

Clemenza wrote:Now you guys can get some sleep now!

Not gonna lie was getting nervous after losing some guys and then Rondo signing in ATL.

But Ibaka was a big get, and now we can probably move/package Lou to try to get a PG Then fill out rest of roster (however many spots are left.)
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#565 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 am

I jsut remembered the Shamet trade got 4!!! SRPs and DET being a not too good team, theyll likely be high.

Time to see what trade targets are available for Lou + SRPs.

Also the more i look at the depth chart, i think Dedmon would be a great addition for the vet min.

He pushes Serge to PF more, Morris plays more SF when Kawhi/PG13 are load managing. Dedmon gives another stretch 5 threat who's semi competent on D and grabbing boards. He's had a down year and got stretch waived, but thats why he'll be obtainable for a vet min.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#566 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:46 am

playaloc916 wrote:I think one important aspect is how this impacts the locker room. We replaced the main malcontent with one of Kawhi's old teammates. Trezz couldn't handle taking a backseat when Kawhi and PG joined. I'm definitely liking the front court.

Absolutely Trezz was a malcontent.

Because it was that Trezz out there busting his ass every night with his own aches and pains while Kawhi and PG--and Pat Bev--were taking "load management" and "injury maintenance" and even injury caution days off while the rest of the team was trying to rack up Ws for playoff seeding.

It IS the story of Clippers 2019-20 operated under that principle, which Doc bought into, because every one of his Lob City teams limped into the playoffs. So he babied Kawhi and PG and even Bev. And Trezz was sent out there to hump.

Class warfare, baby. I don't know why this comes as a revelation to anybody here. Damn right Trezz jumped to the Lakers--to shove it up the Clippers' ass. Bron and AD don't take days off. Not game days, not practice days. Just like Trezz. He comes to play every day. So do they.

[And that's why I blame Lee Jenkins, Brother Quake. He's supposed to know these things. He's PAID to know these things...]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#567 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 am

esqtvd wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:I think one important aspect is how this impacts the locker room. We replaced the main malcontent with one of Kawhi's old teammates. Trezz couldn't handle taking a backseat when Kawhi and PG joined. I'm definitely liking the front court.

Because it was that Trezz out there busting his ass every night with his own aches and pains while Kawhi and PG--and Pat Bev--were taking "load management" and "injury maintenance" and even injury caution days off while the rest of the team was trying to rack up Ws for playoff seeding.

It IS the story of Clippers 2019-20 operated under that principle, which Doc bought into, because every one of his Lob City teams limped into the playoffs. So he babied Kawhi and PG and even Bev. And Trezz was sent out there to hump.

Class warfare, baby. I don't know why this comes as a revelation to anybody here. Damn right Trezz jumped to the Lakers--to shove it up the Clippers' ass. Bron and AD don't take days off. Not game days, not practice days. Just like Trezz. He comes to play every day. So do they.

[And that's why I blame Lee Jenkins, Brother Quake. He's supposed to know these things. He's PAID to know these things...]

Ackshully... it's been declared that LBJ and AD will be load managing the first month or two due to the deep playoff run and short rest period.... so if Trezz is gonna get butt hurt over supahstahs load managing, jokes on him!
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#568 » by donemilio21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 am

We definitely need a point guard badly. We never really had a chance at VanVleet, Clarkson or Dragic but Rondo or Dunn would have been good additions.
Those who are still FAs:
Jeremy Lin
Brandon Knight
Quinn Cook
Shabazz Napier
Emanual Mudiay
Reggie Jackson

So there is no great options out there, and we really have no assets to get someone via trade unless we are wiling to trade Zubac or Lou Will.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#569 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 am

Vae Victus wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Ackshully... it's been declared that LBJ and AD will be load managing the first month or two due to the deep playoff run and short rest period.... so if Trezz is gonna get butt hurt over supahstahs load managing, jokes on him!

Trezz was wanted there, not wanted here. I was in the people business--people go where they're wanted. More importantly--where they believe they're needed. LeBron's Lakers need Trezz's passion, especially to repeat. On Kawhi's Clippers, it made him a malcontent.

Damn right Trezz jumped to the Lakers--to shove it up the Clippers' ass. Bron and AD don't take days off. Not game days, not practice days. Just like Trezz. He comes to play every day. So do they.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#570 » by NickP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 am

esqtvd wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Trezz was wanted there, not wanted here. I was in the people business--people go where they're wanted. More importantly--where they believe they're needed. LeBron's Lakers need Trezz's passion, especially to repeat. On Kawhi's Clippers, it made him a malcontent.

Damn right Trezz jumped to the Lakers--to shove it up the Clippers' ass. Bron and AD don't take days off. Not game days, not practice days. Just like Trezz. He comes to play every day. So do they.

Seriously. Trez was a malcontent on Kawhi's Clippers but it'll be hunky dory on LeBron's Lakers? You must have bought many a Brooklyn bridges bought for pennies on the dollar.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#571 » by Vae Victus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 am

No point bad mouthing Trezz. I tend to hold grudges, but im gonna look at the bright side for LAC. Replacing Trezz with Serge is a MASSIVE improvement. Get a decent backup SG/SF, PG and this team is set for a deep run. LAC/LAL locker room grudges matches are gonna be epic.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#572 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 am

TucsonClip wrote:I don't wanna hear **** from Bron a out load management. This is the same guy who would take his "South Beach Week" during the middle of the season.
He also quit on the team right after he "activated playoff mode" his first season in LA lol
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#573 » by wco81 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:41 am

Raptors board thinks Kawhi poached Ibaka from them.

But it may be that they wouldn't offer him a guaranteed second year. Maybe Raptors want to be able to free cap space in case Giannis hits free agency, since that's their unicorn.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#574 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:

Seriously. Trez was a malcontent on Kawhi's Clippers but it'll be hunky dory on LeBron's Lakers? You must have bought many a Brooklyn bridges bought for pennies on the dollar.

unresponsive
why you getting personal
I SAID he was a malcontent
Trezz wanted out
Clips wanted him out

Trezz is where he belongs
these are FACTS

Bron and AD don't take days off. Not game days, not practice days. Just like Trezz. He comes to play every day. So do they.

Although from now on, I think Kawhi and PG are gonna drag their asses onto the court a LOT more often????????????? :wink:

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#575 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am

Next signing should be interesting
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#576 » by playaloc916 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm

esqtvd wrote:

I get that Trezz was out there busting his ass while Kawhi was load managing, but the Raptors laid out the blueprint on winning a championship with Kawhi. The guy looked like he could barely walk to the podium after winning the final game...
Kawhii and PG were acquired to give the team the best chance to win a championship, and they paid a hefty price for that chance. Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

It was well documented that the Raptors had locker room issues during their championship run. Most likely over the same Kawhi issues. But they kept it in house, and dealt with it after they won the chip. They earned it, and nobody can ever take that away from them. I'd assume most Raptors fans (and teammates) aren't happy with the way Kawhi did things, but appreciate what he did for the team.

I also get that they built up the previous blue collar culture from the years before and overachieved, and maybe it could've remained if they signed Butler instead of Kawhi, but they didn't, so they had to switch things up, which is always a gamble. But looking at Kawhi's previous playoff performances, that is a gamble that most teams would take. It reminds me of when the Rockets traded Francis and Mobley for McGrady. I was crushed after that trade, but understood it because even JVG said it himself, when you have the opportunity to get the best player, you have to do it.

It's fine that Trezz left to join LeBron and AD. But he could've done it in a way that didn't mess up team chemistry, especially in a year that many had the Clips as the favorites to win it all. I've left a couple of companies that I hated being in (for similar reasons Trezz left the Clips to join the Lakers), but it always came as a surprise to management when I gave my notice. I did that so I'm leaving on somewhat good terms, instead of being a malcontent and affecting team morale/performance/future references. Nobody is surprised Trezz walked. Yet, we're surprised JMyke left. Both could've left for the exact same reasons. But everyone has their own way of handling things, so I get that he did it his own way.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#577 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:41 pm

wco81 wrote:Raptors board thinks Kawhi poached Ibaka from them.

But it may be that they wouldn't offer him a guaranteed second year. Maybe Raptors want to be able to free cap space in case Giannis hits free agency, since that's their unicorn.

It’s a different time in the NBA now, not because of player/agent power or whatever, but because of the CBA. Ibaka was going to get a similar contract wherever he signed, which means relationships and personal preferences come into play a lot more. Same goes for the max contract guys. If you’re gonna get the same money, then go chase that ring, play with your buddies, find a big media city, whatever- it’s their prerogative.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#578 » by KL2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Craig to Milwaukee and Bazemore to Golden State
James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#579 » by James2000 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Craig to Milwaukee and Bazemore to Golden State

So is there anyone that is apart of our G league team or etc that we can bring up to be our point guard? It would be way cheaper and preserve our exemption.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#580 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Getting a bit worried we need to sign more people

Return to Los Angeles Clippers