ImageImage

Bucks sign Forbes!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Re: Bucks sign Forbes! 

Post#81 » by tedbrogen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

soxperry wrote:Btw Wes was around 36% last season on around 4 per game but a lot of that was anchored by 39 on wide open. 33 on pullups. Offensively Forbes looks better and thats without knowing the rest of his game. Dont have to though because shooting wide open 3s is literally all Wes could do.

Completely agree. I loved Wes’ ability on D to stay in front of most players and body up on physical wings. He was also one of their more consistent guys on wide open catch and shoot threes. But he had holes in his game. Anything outside of wide open catch and shoot threes was non-existent. And if he dribbled it was Sterlingsville. On D, he was in trouble if forced to switch onto anyone taller or asked to chase guys around screens.

Forbes offers more offensively than Wes and DDV is better all around defender. Between the two of them, they are better at SG than last season. (Especially because Jrue can also play SG)
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#82 » by trwi7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Can we all agree that his nickname is Betty?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,544

Post#83 » by Frank Nova » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:12 pm

trwi7 wrote:Can we all agree that his nickname is Betty?

It’d be better if his name was Bryn White instead.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#84 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

soxperry wrote:Btw Wes was around 36% last season on around 4 per game but a lot of that was anchored by 39 on wide open. 33 on pullups. Offensively Forbes looks better and thats without knowing the rest of his game. Dont have to though because shooting wide open 3s is literally all Wes could do.

same with brogdon. neither are real shooters by todays standard
Mihai
Junior
And1: 117

Post#85 » by Mihai » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Good signing considering the remaining options. We replaced a half dead Matthews and Bledsoe’s weak mental state with the best defensive guard and above average shooter Holiday and a sometimes scorching hot shooter in Forbes.
I have a feeling he will be our starting SG. We can sacrifice a bit of D considering our other 4 starters. The same thing failed 2 years in a row, it was obvious what was missing and a change was needed. This guy has no problem or hesitation shooting the ball.
JABBAri Parker
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#86 » by tedbrogen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:Good 9th or 10th man - well worth the money.

Yep. This is filling out the roster with complimentary pieces.

The Bucks have an excellent top four in Giannis/Midds/Jrue/Brook. It’s a much improved top four because the weakest link was replaced by a super steady guy.

The rest of the roster is meant to give flexible options pending matchups:
Augustin - offensive spark plug, extra ball handler, great spot up shooter
DDV - great all around defender, athletic, young with upside if his shot becomes consistent
Portis - floor spacing big and enforcer
Pat - excellent defender in this system, runs the floor, finishes, can get insanely hot from deep
Forbes - elite shooter
Craig - elite defender
FMIII - has shown he deserves a chance in the league based upon G league performance and break glass in case of emergency PG is always needed on the bench
Nwora - there is potential there for a rotational big wing/small ball stretch four if you squint
Merrill - elite shooting lottery ticket, going to find out if his shooting is enough to keep him in the league
Thiannis - keeps Giannis happy
DJ - has expiring contract that can be used in a trade

And that puts them at 15 by my count which means Cam Reynolds is gone and no more signing are happening.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#87 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Mihai wrote:I have a feeling he will be our starting SG.

Agree. He'll be the starting two guard.

A Craig Hodges for 2020.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,929

Post#88 » by zimpy27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Any chance that Forbes starts like he did for Spurs?

Forbes, Jrue, Middleton, Giannis, BroLo
Augustin, DDV, Craig, Portis
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#89 » by Prez » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I feel like I’m lower on him than like 95% of this board lol. I don’t think he’s good and would be pretty pissed if he started honestly. Keep him in a 15-18 mpg bench gunner role and it’s okay I guess.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#90 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Prez wrote:I feel like I’m lower on him than like 95% of this board lol. I don’t think he’s good and would be pretty pissed if he started honestly. Keep him in a 15-18 mpg bench gunner role and it’s okay I guess.

But I think the starting lineup is where you hide him, and where he has gravity.

Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Prez » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Prez wrote:I feel like I’m lower on him than like 95% of this board lol. I don’t think he’s good and would be pretty pissed if he started honestly. Keep him in a 15-18 mpg bench gunner role and it’s okay I guess.

But I think the starting lineup is where you hide him, and where he has gravity.
There's also more opportunity for opposing teams to attack him with starter level players.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#92 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Prez wrote:There's also more opportunity for opposing teams to attack him with starter level players.

But you'd have three $30mm+ two way players on the court with him, including DPOY. You can hide Forbes in that lineup pretty easily I think.

Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,709

Post#93 » by Wonka » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Whether he starts or not, we really just need him for 22-27 minutes a game and those are the minutes he will get due to his shooting ability. He’s not a great defender, but if Pop was starting him, he must be passable
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#94 » by Sigra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

This. Our defense is "crowd paint and let them shoot 3s" anyway. He can defend PG and Jrue will defend SG. Post up PGs almost dont exist anymore and if he cant defend penetration there are Giannis and Lopez behind him.

Hide him in starting 5 and give him 16 minutes per game at most. As soon as Giannis go to bench for rest he will take Forbes with him (DJ enter).

This is fine addition.
higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Post#95 » by higharc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:58 pm

I like it, not only because he can shoot, but also because he can attack a closeout and also pass a little. I imagine that we will see a lot of these situations from him, besides coming off of double screens to shoot.
For the defence... Bud earn your paycheck and hide him... It's your **** job.
Bus or bust
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#96 » by Bus or bust » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Wonka wrote:Whether he starts or not, we really just need him for 22-27 minutes a game and those are the minutes he will get due to his shooting ability. He’s not a great defender, but if Pop was starting him, he must be passable

Exactly. And those Spurs teams never had the same defensive identity as other Spurs teams. Having Pop as his former coach and being in a team with a core defensive identity should help bring out the best of him defensively. I could see him being an average to slightly below average defender in our team which is fine when you consider what he brings offensively. I mean we had games where Korver got 20+ mins and he is a negative on D no matter how you slice it so I see this as an upgrade on that front.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#97 » by tedbrogen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:03 pm

higharc wrote:I like it, not only because he can shoot, but also because he can attack a closeout and also pass a little. I imagine that we will see a lot of these situations from him, besides coming off of double screens to shoot.
For the defence... Bud earn your paycheck and hide him... It's your **** job.

Give him all those double screen plays they ran for Korver last year. He’ll convert a lot more of them.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,929

Post#98 » by zimpy27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm

You have to look at him as slightly worse version of Seth Curry but getting paid a fifth as much
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#99 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Prez wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

There's also more opportunity for opposing teams to attack him with starter level players.

Defense in the nba will be and always be a team concept. Buds scheme helps just about any individual if they buy into it.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Prez » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Prez wrote:There's also more opportunity for opposing teams to attack him with starter level players.

But you'd have three $30mm+ two way players on the court with him, including DPOY. You can hide Forbes in that lineup pretty easily I think.

I don’t doubt that Jrue/Giannis can help hide him, it’s that we have to. Is it not problematic that we need multiple all-defensive guys on the floor for him to not kill us defensively? And he’s not even that good offensively, it’s not like we’re hiding prime IT or Trae Young. I’d much rather just have Donte out there and absolutely clamp teams.

I know Spurs fans can be harsh but there’s a reason most of them are celebrating him not being on the team anymore. If the likes of Boston/Miami/Brooklyn don’t butcher him in a playoff series, LeBron/Kawhi definitely will in the finals IMO.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks