ImageImageImageImageImage

Grade the Knicks offseason

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Grade:

A+
7%
A
5%
B+/A-
2%
B
19%
C+/B-
19%
C
12%
D+/C-
9%
D
5%
D-
2%
F
21%

Total votes: 43

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Grade the Knicks offseason 

Post#1 » by robillionaire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Draft -
The picks made absolutely no sense for a team that's now allegedly trying to tank. We passed up on promising young prospects to draft older "win now" players. We didn't draft a PG, even with some capable ones on the board at 33 since it's a tank anyway. We drafted "win now" players and are now hoping to tank for Cade Cunningham. IQ might be a nice player but possibly a reach at 25.

Grade - F

Free Agency -

Brought back a player who doesn't fit and can't shoot in Elfrid Payton and didn't move Randle. We still don't have a PG. Frank, DSJ, and Payton can't shoot. They had an entire year to figure something out. The development of our young players is completely ruined. Randle, Payton, Noel, Burks, and the like will ensure we are picking 7th or 8th as they grind out meaningless late season wins looking for their next paycheck

Grade - F

Overall grade - F- (please see me after class)

Oh and they hired Tom Thibodeau to coach a tank.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,216

Re: Grade the Knicks offseason 

Post#2 » by mpharris36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#3 » by Jimmit79 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm

All there offseason moves are for 2021 but nobody is coming what exactly is RJ and Obi going to accomplish that will convince stars to come? Nobody wants Dolans money not even when prime melo was here.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,872

Post#4 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,742

Post#5 » by omerome » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm

The Knicks offseason is going to be graded in a similar fashion to the FA class. Mediocre.

Grade: C

They didn't sign anyone to a huge contract because there wasn't anyone worth signing to a huge contract. With that said, they also didn't utilize their cap space to acquire assets. So, doing nothing wasn't bad or good.
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#6 » by cooch2584 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm

I think they did great
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#7 » by blueNorange » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm

robillionaire wrote:Draft -
The picks made absolutely no sense for a team that's now allegedly trying to tank. We passed up on promising young prospects to draft older "win now" players. We didn't draft a PG, even with some capable ones on the board at 33 since it's a tank anyway. We drafted "win now" players and are now hoping to tank for Cade Cunningham. IQ might be a nice player but possibly a reach at 25.

Grade - F

Free Agency -

Brought back a player who doesn't fit and can't shoot in Elfrid Payton and didn't move Randle. We still don't have a PG. Frank, DSJ, and Payton can't shoot. They had an entire year to figure something out. The development of our young players is completely ruined. Randle, Payton, Noel, Burks, and the like will ensure we are picking 7th or 8th as they grind out meaningless late season wins looking for their next paycheck

Grade - F

Overall grade - F- (please see me after class)

Oh and they hired Tom Thibodeau to coach a tank.

dude, you never draft for need lol. last time they drafted for need instead of bpa, they got frank.

knicks didn't pass on anyone interesting, they drafted the best player available.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#8 » by cgmw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:12 pm

I’ll wait for the annual stupidity sound bites from the new regime before passing judgement.

What I want to hear: We’re excited about our young core. We expect a lot from our youth this season and we are going to fight each and every game to get better. Offseason Grade: A-/B+

What I expect to hear: We are confident in our ability to make the playoffs this season. The subtext of our locker room white board is that you are all one second away from getting traded for Westbrook or Wall. We expect the 8 seed behind Payton and Julius Randle. Offseason grade: D for Dolan (not an F for f’ing Dolan because at least we didn’t throw the MJ bag at Haywood).
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#9 » by BugginOut » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Can't judge since the offseason isn't over, but it isn't looking good.

For the Draft right now
I'd give a B-

Would put it to a B+, but since Payton and Randle is on the team still, it doesn't make sense that our two new rookies are buried on the depth chart at their respective position.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#10 » by Kampuchea » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Draft - B+
A+ - Took best player available and potential star at pick 8 in Obi. The easy and best pick was made here
C - Should have tried trading this pick and taken Quickley at 33

Free Agency - B
D - Payton isn't bad but could we find someone that can shoot?
B+ - Noel is a nice pickup but hope he is the backup to Mitch and not starting
A - no trash contracts. FINALLY

Coach - B
Thibs became underrated but still not liking his history of rotation and how he allocates minutes
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,046

Post#11 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Draft: B -

I like the picks, but they did too much wheeling and dealing, we had a chance to get Hampton. You took the guy you wanted with the 8th, we should have kept the 23rd pick and swung for the fences with Hampton. Quigley is a nice player, but they could have gotten him later on with how freely teams were moving picks.

Free agency: D

Resigning Payton was an abject failure and brings down the grade to this level by itself, other wise I would have given them a C+ just for not blowing money on vets. But, we could have paid Wanamaker half that much for the same role, unfortunately we have to take care of the CAA guys because that's more important than putting a cohesive team on the floor. We have Davis, Randle, Nerlens and Mitch, none of them can shoot, so whatever team we put on the floor is going to have a spacing issue, whether it's the starters or bench. As a result, I expect our prized rookie to actually struggle because he's in a no win situation, he's going to play with a big that clogs the paint and limits him to shooting OR he's going to play the 5 in smallball lineups when he's not strong enough to play that position.

The fact every single move we made in the draft or free agency was for a Kentucky, CAA or a Utah guy is very concerning too.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#12 » by br7knicks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm

I'ma do this as a teacher.

Toppin: B-. I get the pick because scoring is needed, but I don't like the pick, especially with how the modern PF is, as well as the coach.
Quickley: B+. Good value pick. I wanted Bane, as he was still available. But he fits what the Knicks need...defense and shooting.
Oturu: D-. Would've been a C or C+ if they kept him. Don't see the point in that trade. He would've been a nice backup to Mitch.
Noel: C-. Don't get this, other than insurance for when Mitch fouls out in 8 minutes each game because he's busy covering toppin's ass. Noel is a dumber, less athletic version of Mitch.
Payton: :lol:
Thibs: A-. Knicks need an experienced coach who will instill a good work ethic into the young guys. Not sure his style fits modern NBA though.
Not signing Westbrook: A **** +. Derp

Can't think of anything else right now. On the toilet writing this, like how I normally do my grading.

Overall grade: B-

Burks: B-. Insurance, fine. Good that it's only one year. Contract is more tradeable.

Not signing any big, overpaying, long ass contracts: A
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,229

Post#13 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 pm

I like the draft. Aggressive and overall a better position when making the picks. Not sure what they did with the 33rd pick and why they didn't get a PG but...other than that...I am ok with the draft. The players will ultimately impact this grade but...I give them a B-

FA...F- No matter what they do...Payton destroys this grade. Period. I like the Davis trade and the Noel move. Burks? Why? Just a wasted move. Would have been better off drafting a PG with the 33rd pick IMO. OR combining his money with Elfrids for a better player!! I wish I could give them a better grade because every move is tradeable. I just can't. Elfrid kills it all. Burks was a nothing move. Unnecessary for this team. They suck at this so far.

Trades. A+ The draft frenzy and the Davis trade were good solid moves. So far so good.

Overall...F They brought Payton back. Terrible terrible TERRIBLE!!! FOH!

All grades subject to change. Get back to me when they finalize a roster for opening night.
:beer: RIP mags
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,202

Post#14 » by DOT » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 pm

I added a poll

I'll go overall C+ to B- range

Obi was a decent pick. I would've preferred Haliburton or Kira cause we need a PG, but at the very least, Obi's offensive production should transfer even if he's not a great fit next to Mitch. That's good enough value at 8, but the big x-factor is gonna be if Deni pans out, cause if he does, that's a huge miss for us

Quick seemed like a big reach at the time, but he can shoot and defend. I feel like once you get to late 1st/2nd rounders, you should just go with who you want, no matter where he's supposed to go. I'm excited to watch him sit on the sidelines as Burks takes all his minutes

Free agency was alright. Burks/Noel are good value signings and have potential to be Marcus Morris'd at the deadline for contenders who need depth. Payton signing I hate because he's a terrible fit cause he can't shoot and he doesn't really run the offense as much as just pass to Randle all day. Don't think he's good for RJ/Obi/Mitch's development

I'm not gonna give them props for swinging for the fences and ending up with a single even if they tell us that's what they were aiming for all along. Grade could go up to a B with a good Randle trade, down to a D range if we panic for Westbrook. F if we trade for Wall without getting significant assets back.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,229

Post#15 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 pm

I'll give them a B for HC because...they hired a good coach but...is he gonna play the kids or the vets? This move is very subject to change. Could become an A+ or an F- lots of room in there! PLAY THE FUGGIN KIDS!!!
:beer: RIP mags
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#16 » by RHODEY » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Draft -
Toppin wasn't my top choice, but from a value perspective he's great. You get a guy you would have picked @4 with the 8th pick. Defense is questionable at best but his passing game it what pushes the needle for me from NAY to Yay. Him being a homegrown talent is just icing on the cake.

Quickley- guys say we could have gotten him @33 but I disagree. One of the best shooters in the daft coupled with great defense and wining pedigree .This kid will surprise a bunch of you.

Grade - B+

Free Agency -

Some of the best moves are the ones you don't make. Bravo for not getting bent over by some random team. If a good deal aint out there stand pat. We aren't allowing players to "Grant Hill" us anymore. We aren't chasing pipe dreams. Payton is a stop gap because quite frankly he' s a cheap option with familiarity to the team. Thats all he is and we can still make move down the line.

Grade B+

Overall grade - B+

Patience is key, we picked up some nice pieces, maintained cap flexibly - thenext draft is loaded and we are on target. Mission accomplished.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Post#17 » by knickabocker88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:46 pm

C- / D

Payton & Randle < Trump & Pence
Fusionx50
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#18 » by Fusionx50 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Overall B

I like what we are doing. We got some nice young talent and kept cap flexibility. We need to be patient and stop trying to hit a home run.

I’m sure this regime will solve the Of situation by the trade deadline. I don’t think they will intentionally tank but if we end up with a lottery pick we might pick up another talented rookie.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#19 » by vallen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Cant really give them credit for pulling off Obi because a possum would have taken him at 8. Quickly could have been taken in the 2nd and we just replaced crap with crap in FA. C+ and thats generous seeing how so many thought Rose and WWW were so "connected" in the league.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,960

Post#20 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Draft - C+. I'm giving them credit for getting their guys, which saves them from a D grade: Obi, Quickley. They lose some points for their shenanigans in the late round, and not being prepared to use a pretty high 2nd round pick. Quickley was the safe choice at that point...it was obvious they were not willing to lose him after Maxey was gone. No way that they should have been stuck with their ****s in their hands at 33. We've had a 38th pick for weeks now, and the money and connections to be able to form a strong draft board. Use the pick. We have youth, but I'd say that the only 3 that matter are Mitch, Obi and Quickley. No one else deserved minutes...I was okay with bringing in a pick at the 33rd pick to challenge them. Finally, if we didn't have a good board because of lack of funds or scouting, whatever...spend that effin money. Just don't get how we don't spend this pick. We lack talent, a need for steals and we should have the funds to have the best scouting department in basketball. If they had maximized their value, that would have been an A grade for me.

FA - C-. Would have given them a B if they had moved on Hayward and FVV without signing them and had a good plan. FVV wasn't going to come unless at an exorbitant price and Hayward got his exorbitant contract...I'm okay with moving on. Extra points for Burks and Noel, but think these guys are going to get us 2nds at most. Elfrid really hurt their grade. Talent-wise and ability, not that ****ty as a player, but we saw what he was last year, and we saw how he played favorites. Does his performance last year give anyone confidence that this is the right guy to play with Obi, Mitch and our youth? Rose was sent here to fix the mistakes of Perry and Mills, not re-make them. Almost any other vet would have been better in the lockerroom and leading the team.

Overall - C-. There are some factors out of our control and some necessary decisions made not to overpay, but most concerning, I see a lack of preparation, and either favoritism for CAA or a lack of influence with all other agencies. That 33rd pick was at a prime position to grab some fallers from the 1st round, and their target was Carey, another big? PGs signing elsewhere left and right, so you bring back...Elfrid? If CAA knew FVV was already gone, why did they wait til he was gone before moving for a PG, especially since they had a certain amount allocated to a potential Hayward contract? I wonder if other agents are actually suspicious of Leon Rose.

In short, NYK should be learning from the Yankees, but they learned from the Mets and their hiring of Brodie. But after Brodie came Cohen so...

Return to New York Knicks