ImageImageImageImageImage

So.... what do we do about the frontcourt now?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,884

Re: So.... what do we do about the frontcourt now? 

Post#261 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Danny1616 wrote:I'm hoping Masai has a trade brewing because this does not look good.

Turner would be the best bet here.

This.... huge miss with not signing ibaka.... we dont need corpse gasol.

Use norm etc for potential trade...
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,884

Post#262 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:50 pm

We are borderline playoff team without ibaka... huge mistake on the part of raptors management.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#263 » by will » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Maybe Power Surge just wanted to go to LA, and that was the main reason.

Ain't like any of use were on the phones during the negotiations.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#264 » by UneducatedFan86 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Mak wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:If Biyombo is available we should absolutely target him. Familiarity, and we know how to use him right. He’s not a complete wash offensively either given his offensive rebounding and almost average free throw shooting

Bismack would be a good feel signing we all need after losing Ibaka and probably Gasol.

This board overrates Bismack so hard. There is a reason why he's never transitioned into a full-time starter. His game is still limited and his defense hasn't been nearly as good as people remember it to be. He also still fouls a ton and still can't hit FTs at a great clip. And his game is based on needing others to create for him. It would cause a big disadvantage on the offensive end and he doesn't make up enough for it on the defensive end.

He's a negative in Real Plus-Minus(-0.32) with a -2.28 in ORPM and 1.96 in DRPM. His -2.28 makes him 60th in the league at the C position. His DRPM is ranked 17th but he's also behind everyone's favorite whipping boy JV (13th) in that stat. Gasol was ranked 5th and Ibaka was ranked 23rd. He's also a negative in Box Plus-Minus (-2.5) and -0.1 Value over replacement.

Plus, I am sure he's looking for a deal longer than a year. This is all we could really offer him while trying to maintain our flexibility for 2021.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#265 » by VinBaker6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Norm for JV. It's the most obvious trade available for both teams.

S/O to TZ!
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#266 » by dalton749 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 pm

I’d take whiteside at this point lol
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,727

Post#267 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:19 pm

UneducatedFan86 wrote:
Mak wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:If Biyombo is available we should absolutely target him. Familiarity, and we know how to use him right. He’s not a complete wash offensively either given his offensive rebounding and almost average free throw shooting

Bismack would be a good feel signing we all need after losing Ibaka and probably Gasol.

This board overrates Bismack so hard. There is a reason why he's never transitioned into a full-time starter. His game is still limited and his defense hasn't been nearly as good as people remember it to be. He also still fouls a ton and still can't hit FTs at a great clip. And his game is based on needing others to create for him. It would cause a big disadvantage on the offensive end and he doesn't make up enough for it on the defensive end.

He's a negative in Real Plus-Minus(-0.32) with a -2.28 in ORPM and 1.96 in DRPM. His -2.28 makes him 60th in the league at the C position. His DRPM is ranked 17th but he's also behind everyone's favorite whipping boy JV (13th) in that stat. Gasol was ranked 5th and Ibaka was ranked 23rd. He's also a negative in Box Plus-Minus (-2.5) and -0.1 Value over replacement.

Plus, I am sure he's looking for a deal longer than a year. This is all we could really offer him while trying to maintain our flexibility for 2021.

He's certainly fell off since leaving. I'm just more inclined to think he can look much better in our system. But yeah, he's much more of a react type of player rather then thinking 3 steps ahead type of defender like a Gasol.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Adopt_Me_Masai
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#268 » by Adopt_Me_Masai » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm

Idk if this has been mentioned, but Atlanta has such a glut of big men and I found it interesting that they drafted Okongwu when he was already being heavily compared to Clint Capela (Capela was the NBA comp I was seeing 2nd most for Okongwu after Bam Adebayo).

You think we can pry Capela from ATL? Salary-cap wise Powell + Davis do it, would we need to throw in a pick? Powell would give them a scoring wing.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,493

Post#269 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm

dalton749 wrote:I’d take whiteside at this point lol

I think Whiteside or a healthy Cousins on a 1 year deal is probably the best we can do at this point
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,493

Post#270 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:23 pm

Adopt_Me_Masai wrote:Idk if this has been mentioned, but Atlanta has such a glut of big men and I found it interesting that they drafted Okongwu when he was already being heavily compared to Clint Capela (Capela was the NBA comp I was seeing 2nd most for Okongwu after Bam Adebayo).

You think we can pry Capela from ATL? Salary-cap wise Powell + Davis do it, would we need to throw in a pick? Powell would give them a scoring wing.

In a vaccum, I don't think we have a problem with Capela, JV, or anyone else we could realistically trade for if we wanted to. But bringing in any of those guys now means we're giving up having max FA capspace next offseason since they're on the books. I could be wrong, but I don't think our front office would be willing to do that for anyone but a superstar right now.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#271 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm

Damian Jones also off the market, signs with the Suns
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#272 » by Lukeem » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Trade for

Aaron Gordon
Julius Randle
Richaun Holmes Jabari Parker
Myles turner

Sign a project for depth
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,194

Post#273 » by Dalek » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm

I'd go hard or fail hard at this stage. Demarcus Cousins is a HoF type of talent that I would throw a full MLE at if that is what it takes. Just a one year deal though, or a one plus team option.

If he doesn't work out, or gets hurt you tank the year for a good pick.

He is looking pretty light on his feet, so here is hoping he has recovered.

Read on Twitter
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#274 » by agentzero2010 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm

I think Gasol will return for 1 year 15 million, he and his agent are likely using lakers as leverage to get more money from Toronto. Raptors once again rumoured to be interested in Markeiff Morris, don't understand why raptors are constantly linked to him, he's a below average defender and inconstant shooter. but I guess beggars can't be choosers at this point.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,278

Post#275 » by ruckus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Lets say we go into the regular season as is and we bring back Boucher, what is our ceiling?

Lowry
Vanvleet
Powell
Davis (until we hear otherwise)
Thomas
Anunoby
Siakam
Watson
Boucher
Hernandez

Hernandez and Watson are still a bit of a question mark but thats 10 men already.

Its a super small lineup but I think we could play a really uptempo game.

Are we a playoff team with this 10-man lineup? 1st round exit or better?

Personally, I think we'd be a tough first round matchup for any team.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,407

Post#276 » by And1+2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Dalek wrote:I'd go hard or fail hard at this stage. Demarcus Cousins is a HoF type of talent that I would throw a full MLE at if that is what it takes. Just a one year deal though, or a one plus team option.

Read on Twitter

I'd go for it. Low risk, high reward.
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#277 » by rrdjutriurt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Wendell Carter would be a good trade get. Parlay Norm Powell for him.

I don't see trading Norm as a good move at all at this point especially for a center. Just pick one up cheap if available. We're not likely to compete for anything this year anyways. Norm was player of the week before the Covid shutdown and automatic from the three. He never got to his typical conditioning or comfort level in the bubble, so we never really got to see if he could have continued his great start to the regular season.

Norm has been improving every year and who knows what strides in his game he can make this year. It has to be one heck of a deal if we trade him. He has been a consistent 40% shooter from the arc on decent volume. Shooters like that that are also able to attack the basket don't grow on trees!
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,323

Post#278 » by douggood » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 pm

agentzero2010 wrote:I think Gasol will return for 1 year 15 million, he and his agent are likely using lakers as leverage to get more money from Toronto. Raptors once again rumoured to be interested in Markeiff Morris, don't understand why raptors are constantly linked to him, he's a below average defender and inconstant shooter. but I guess beggars can't be choosers at this point.

it doesnt take a genius to know the lakers cannot offer more than the minimum (unless they trade mcgee) then no more than 5 million. Lakers are hard capped.

Honestly i wouldnt mind a S&T gasol for mcgee, because it still leaves full MLE available.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#279 » by dalton749 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:29 pm

bboyskinnylegs wrote:
dalton749 wrote:I’d take whiteside at this point lol

I think Whiteside or a healthy Cousins on a 1 year deal is probably the best we can do at this point

Easy yes from me. Both offer some higher upside and have solid talent all around them. 1 year deal to play in florida seems realistic for them.
Bull-E
Junior
And1: 285

Post#280 » by Bull-E » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Dalek wrote:I'd go hard or fail hard at this stage. Demarcus Cousins is a HoF type of talent that I would throw a full MLE at if that is what it takes. Just a one year deal though, or a one plus team option.

Read on Twitter

Considering the Raps already have the Terence Davis situation to deal with, can't imagine they'd even strongly contemplate bringing in another player who has a recent history of aggression towards women.

Return to Toronto Raptors