TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#161 » by TheProdigy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
minimus wrote:
No, this comparison is not legitimate. Duncan did not want to play basketball, he wanted to swim. Arvidas Sabonis did not want to play basketball, his first coach went to his parents to force him. Iverson wanted to play football, instead of basketball.

Did any of those guys say something like they're not really into basketball or they can't watch basketball? You can still have passion for something even if it wasn't your first choice.
Read on Twitter

I've been following pro sports for 50 years and I've learned that what a player says is 100% irrelevant to what they do.

Prospect: "I'm going to be a serial killer after I get drafted."

GM KGDaBom: "He's the most physical prospect I've ever seen, let's draft him."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#162 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Crean provided some context from his time with Edwards — and if anybody doubted Edwards’ passion for the game, he said, they’re wrong. Crean said no player he’s ever had would spend more time working out in the gym after games than Edwards, and Crean’s list of former players includes Victor Oladipo and Dwyane Wade.

“Does he love sitting there watching it for three, four hours at a time, probably not,” Crean said. “I think you’d be surprised how few of kids really do. Now, playing it for three or four hours at a time? That is for sure. I’d much rather have a guy that wants to be in the gym working.”

In that way, Edwards is Gen Z, someone who grew up with the quick satisfaction social media brings through easily digestible content that is short in duration.

Before the draft, Rosas said the most important quality he sought in young players was a passion for the game. Was he scared off by the whispers around Edwards?

“Absolutely not,” Rosas said. “It’s draft season so there’s some narratives out there, but what he’s overcome in life at his age and his motivation to be great through all of that. ... his toughness, his grit, what he’s overcome in life — those were big positives.”

https://www.startribune.com/top-pick-anthony-edwards-developing-early-trust-in-wolves-organization/573158011/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#163 » by TheProdigy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Klomp wrote:Crean provided some context from his time with Edwards — and if anybody doubted Edwards’ passion for the game, he said, they’re wrong. Crean said no player he’s ever had would spend more time working out in the gym after games than Edwards, and Crean’s list of former players includes Victor Oladipo and Dwyane Wade.

“Does he love sitting there watching it for three, four hours at a time, probably not,” Crean said. “I think you’d be surprised how few of kids really do. Now, playing it for three or four hours at a time? That is for sure. I’d much rather have a guy that wants to be in the gym working.”

In that way, Edwards is Gen Z, someone who grew up with the quick satisfaction social media brings through easily digestible content that is short in duration.

Before the draft, Rosas said the most important quality he sought in young players was a passion for the game. Was he scared off by the whispers around Edwards?

“Absolutely not,” Rosas said. “It’s draft season so there’s some narratives out there, but what he’s overcome in life at his age and his motivation to be great through all of that. ... his toughness, his grit, what he’s overcome in life — those were big positives.”

https://www.startribune.com/top-pick-anthony-edwards-developing-early-trust-in-wolves-organization/573158011/

Sounds familiar:

Bill Self on Wiggins wrote:"But I think his ceiling is the highest that I have been around. He is going to have a remarkable future, but I do think it is going to take a lot of hard work. … With all the time he spends in the gym, I think he is going to improve so much, rapidly.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/andrew-wiggins-nba-draft-2014-tanking-kevin-durant-bill-self-kansas-sixers-lakers-celtics-magic/153olrb94q3dk18lo6cesyudxl
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#164 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:36 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
Klomp wrote:Crean provided some context from his time with Edwards — and if anybody doubted Edwards’ passion for the game, he said, they’re wrong. Crean said no player he’s ever had would spend more time working out in the gym after games than Edwards, and Crean’s list of former players includes Victor Oladipo and Dwyane Wade.

Sounds familiar:

Bill Self on Wiggins wrote:"But I think his ceiling is the highest that I have been around. He is going to have a remarkable future, but I do think it is going to take a lot of hard work. … With all the time he spends in the gym, I think he is going to improve so much, rapidly.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/andrew-wiggins-nba-draft-2014-tanking-kevin-durant-bill-self-kansas-sixers-lakers-celtics-magic/153olrb94q3dk18lo6cesyudxl

As I said. It's not what they say that matters.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#165 » by TheProdigy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

Sounds familiar:

As I said. It's not what they say that matters.

We're talking about people with an interest in seeing a player get drafted as high as possible. For players, it means more money. For coaches, it means more clout for recruiting. Of course they're going to say what benefits them the most.

That's why it's so jarring when a prospect comes out and says they're not really into basketball or they can't watch basketball. Of course that is a red flag. If Tom Crean came out and said Edwards wasn't worthy of being a first round pick, you wouldn't take that into consideration? Come on
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,867

Post#166 » by Nick K » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm

TheProdigy wrote:

We're talking about people with an interest in seeing a player get drafted as high as possible. For players, it means more money. For coaches, it means more clout for recruiting. Of course they're going to say what benefits them the most.

That's why it's so jarring when a prospect comes out and says they're not really into basketball or they can't watch basketball. Of course that is a red flag. If Tom Crean came out and said Edwards wasn't worthy of being a first round pick, you wouldn't take that into consideration? Come on

Are you going to beat this thing to death with a stick? We've taken the guy the way he is and it isn't going to change. You've made your point so quit whining about it.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#167 » by TheProdigy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Nick K wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:As I said. It's not what they say that matters.

Are you going to beat this thing to death with a stick? We've taken the guy the way he is and it isn't going to change. You've made your point so quit whining about it.

I've beat it to death after 6 posts on the subject? Sorry I'll let everyone go back to their universal praise of Edwards. Carry on!
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#168 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm

TheProdigy wrote:

nope. Just kidding. I don't take anything positive a coach has to say under consideration, but I do take the negative. However, Crean didn't say anything negative IMO. Sure he said he would need some mentoring. I think you are trying to find the negative where there isn't any.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#169 » by TheProdigy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

If Tom Crean came out and said Edwards wasn't worthy of being a first round pick, you wouldn't take that into consideration? Come on

nope. Just kidding. I don't take anything positive a coach has to say under consideration, but I do take the negative. However, Crean didn't say anything negative IMO. Sure he said he would need some mentoring. I think you are trying to find the negative where there isn't any.

Ever heard of a hypothetical?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#170 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:57 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:If Tom Crean came out and said Edwards wasn't worthy of being a first round pick, you wouldn't take that into consideration? Come on

Ever heard of a hypothetical?

No I've never heard of a hypothetical. What's that?
My point is the words said by Edwards or anybody else are no cause for concern regarding Edwards. Base your concerns or lack thereof over what you've seen of him on the court. However take into consideration that he could have been a HS senior this last year.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,751

Post#171 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 pm

If you watch the Rookie press conference, Rosas spoke at length with AE before the draft about some “tough” topics. Rosas made it get clear what he expects from the kid in order reach his potential and Edwards said he was “ready to get to work”.

I hated the Edwards pick...I wanted Wiseman (still do) and questioned Anthony’s drive because of his pre-draft comments. Not anymore...this kid is NO Wiggins. The sky is the limit if he pushes himself and I’m not betting even a nickel against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#172 » by jpatrick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:If you watch the Rookie press conference, Rosas spoke at length with AE before the draft about some “tough” topics. Rosas made it get clear what he expects from the kid in order reach his potential and Edwards said he was “ready to get to work”.

I hated the Edwards pick...I wanted Wiseman (still do) and questioned Anthony’s drive because of his pre-draft comments. Not anymore...this kid is NO Wiggins. The sky is the limit if he pushes himself and I’m not betting even a nickel against him.

This sounds a little too much like Taylor’s talk with Wiggins before the massive extension where Wiggins promised to work harder. Ugh.

My biggest issues with Edwards are he showed serious lack of BBIQ and one of the worst motors I’ve seen from a college player in his year at GA. I do think he’s a good kid that hasn’t really been pushed before. Plus he’s young, although older than other draftees like Ball, Poku, and Patrick Williams.

My hope his response to being pushed is hard work and an eagerness to learn. That was not Wiggins’ response.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#173 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

jpatrick wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:If you watch the Rookie press conference, Rosas spoke at length with AE before the draft about some “tough” topics. Rosas made it get clear what he expects from the kid in order reach his potential and Edwards said he was “ready to get to work”.

This sounds a little too much like Taylor’s talk with Wiggins before the massive extension where Wiggins promised to work harder. Ugh.

My biggest issues with Edwards are he showed serious lack of BBIQ and one of the worst motors I’ve seen from a college player in his year at GA. I do think he’s a good kid that hasn’t really been pushed before. Plus he’s young, although older than other draftees like Ball, Poku, and Patrick Williams.

My hope his response to being pushed is hard work and an eagerness to learn. That was not Wiggins’ response.

Wiggins is irrelevant to Edwards. I doubt if they even know each other.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,137

Post#174 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:26 pm

TheProdigy wrote:

Are you a Ball or a Wiseman guy?

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,137

Post#175 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:31 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

Wiggins is irrelevant to Edwards. I doubt if they even know each other.

The problem with Wiggins before was he probably was asked to do too much. With KAT, russell, rubio here, i dont think that puts a lot of pressure on Edwards. He should be fine and obviously a candidate for ROY

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#176 » by TheProdigy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:40 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

Are you a Ball or a Wiseman guy?

I'm an Edwards guy now. I have had my concerns but at this point I just want to see some Rubio to Edwards alley oops.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#177 » by urinesane » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Wiggins has no edge or chip on his shoulder and he becomes complacent as if he doesn't take pride in what he does.

He would get up for certain match ups or in moments, but he never really had much of a fire. Also, he had all-world talent but physically he would shy away from contact. Wiggins growing up in Canada with two super athlete parents pretty much put him on the path of being a professional athlete, but that doesn't mean he is obsessed with being the best.

Edwards has gone through a lot of adversity already, probably more than most of us have, which could be a catalyst to becoming great... if he has the right people around him stopping him from getting distracted by the trappings of being a young millionaire in a sport where the focus on the individual is magnified more than most sports (along with the celebrity).

I hope he puts it together and I think he's in a much better spot not having to be "the man" in MN than trying to fit in in GS or be the franchise in Charlotte. The fact that he is a gym rat and has more of an edge to him than Wiggins makes me optimistic. Also, the fact that Saunders lost his dad and Rubio his mom to cancer, along with KAT losing his mom to COVID19 creates an environment of support and understanding (moreso than any other team in the league). I just hope that they can build a bond with each other and create a new culture in MN that truly is like a wolf pack.

We will just have to see how things play out.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#178 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:25 pm

It's crazy that a No. 1 pick just five days ago is already basically an afterthought.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#179 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Klomp wrote:It's crazy that a No. 1 pick just five days ago is already basically an afterthought.

You mean not much conversation? I think we've said all we can say until he gets into camp and we see how he's looking there.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,579

Post#180 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:I hated the Edwards pick...I wanted Wiseman (still do) and questioned Anthony’s drive because of his pre-draft comments. Not anymore...this kid is NO Wiggins. The sky is the limit if he pushes himself and I’m not betting even a nickel against him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves