ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,509

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#621 » by snowman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:02 pm

What about Triston Thompson ? Or Baynes ?
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#622 » by KumaJG » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:29 pm

We sign Bazemore and Harry Giles
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Post#623 » by Drax » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm

I want to throw in Bryn Forbes from the Spurs. He increased his role steadily with the Spurs and is a 40% career three point shooter (5 attempts a game).
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#624 » by grindtime22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:35 pm

It gets interesting now

Do we just stick to 1 year deals now and look toward possibly getting Kemba off the books before next offseason?
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#625 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:20 am

I am now furiously trying to find a way we can get Bogdan Bogdanovic on this roster...that dude would fit in perfectly next to Juice and Tatum on the wing.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#626 » by darrendaye » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:38 am

Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#627 » by kblo247 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 am

Y'all got Tristen. He will be a great guy for y'all since you lacked rebounding. HE can show on picks and recover. He also has great respect for Laker and Celtic heritage as he talked about the franchises a lot on Speak on FS1. I would ask PAul about Noel too if I was Boston since they need another real big and he's a different type than the two main guys they have.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#628 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 am

KumaJG wrote:We sign Bazemore and Harry Giles

Baze is a decent stopgap.

Would love Baynes back or another widebody like Gasol.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#629 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 am

Nvmd on big, saw the TT deal. Nice fit, guy will be a clear Kanter-role upgrade.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#630 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 am

Just unreal that we're going to have NBA basketball again soon.

Please protect everyone involved and their families from COVID. Sigh.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#631 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am

Spin Move wrote:Tristan Thompson for the full midlevel would be nice if we can get that.

Called it lol
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#632 » by ballup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
KumaJG wrote:We sign Bazemore and Harry Giles

Baze is a decent stopgap.

Would love Baynes back or another widebody like Gasol.
Bazemore was horrific on the Blazers. Could very well be washed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#633 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm

As of right now we have 15 NBA contracts and extended tenders to Tremont and Fall on 2 ways...

Kemba / Teague / Pritchard
Smart / Langford / Edwards
Brown / Nesmith / Green
Tatum / G Williams / Ojeleye
Theis / Thompson / R Williams

I feel pretty good about the starting 5... it's the same group as last year's playoff run, though you could swap Theis/Thompson. Either way, Theis or Thompson are legit backup 5s. Teague is a solid enough backup PG, thought it would be great if Pritchard beat him out. I thought Grant showed enough to feel alright about him as a 15ish minute bench player.

The question is wing depth. And I know on paper it looks like a question mark, but Langford and Nesmith were both lottery picks. If not even one of them is capable of logging reserve minutes on the wing then those are massive misses by Ainge. I know people rip on Ainge's draft history, but his track record of "misses" is more that he drafted a role player vs the guy who maxed out his upside. In his however many years here drafting I think James Young is only complete miss in the mid 1st round or higher. He's had some busts in the 20s obviously but which team hasn't over the last 17 years.

I understand it's a question mark on paper and as a tam trying to contend you always want some veteran options to fall back on, but if Langford/Nesmith aren't capable backup wing depth then Ainge really messed up. Hopefully Nesmith can be a day 1 reserve, which is not at all an unreasonable expectation for his draft spot. And hopefully Langford goes the route of Bradley and Rozier of barely playing in year 1 before becoming rotation piece in year 2.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#634 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:As of right now we have 15 NBA contracts and extended tenders to Tremont and Fall on 2 ways...

Brown / Nesmith / Green

I feel pretty good about the starting 5... it's the same group as last year's playoff run, though you could swap Theis/Thompson. Either way, Theis or Thompson are legit backup 5s. Teague is a solid enough backup PG, thought it would be great if Pritchard beat him out. I thought Grant showed enough to feel alright about him as a 15ish minute bench player.

The question is wing depth. And I know on paper it looks like a question mark, but Langford and Nesmith were both lottery picks. If not even one of them is capable of logging reserve minutes on the wing then those are massive misses by Ainge. I know people rip on Ainge's draft history, but his track record of "misses" is more that he drafted a role player vs the guy who maxed out his upside. In his however many years here drafting I think James Young is only complete miss in the mid 1st round or higher. He's had some busts in the 20s obviously but which team hasn't over the last 17 years.

I understand it's a question mark on paper and as a tam trying to contend you always want some veteran options to fall back on, but if Langford/Nesmith aren't capable backup wing depth then Ainge really messed up. Hopefully Nesmith can be a day 1 reserve, which is not at all an unreasonable expectation for his draft spot. And hopefully Langford goes the route of Bradley and Rozier of barely playing in year 1 before becoming rotation piece in year 2.

What I'd REALLY like to see, is Nesmith push to start. I just like Smart better as a bench player who can come off the bench and sub in for practically anyone. Plus having him and Teague as veteran ballhandlers off the bench really soothes a lot of my agita from last season.

For Nesmith, we brought him in here to open space for the Jays and Kemba so the sooner he can get to doing that consistently, the better. It simplifies his job in a shortened rookie season by just setting him up to do what he does best and doing it playing off the players who will most benefit from it. If he can grasp the defense well enough, he should ascend to that starting 2-spot and put a stranglehold on it for the next 5 years.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#635 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:As of right now we have 15 NBA contracts and extended tenders to Tremont and Fall on 2 ways...

Brown / Nesmith / Green

What I'd REALLY like to see, is Nesmith push to start. I just like Smart better as a bench player who can come off the bench and sub in for practically anyone. Plus having him and Teague as veteran ballhandlers off the bench really soothes a lot of my agita from last season.

For Nesmith, we brought him in here to open space for the Jays and Kemba so the sooner he can get to doing that consistently, the better. It simplifies his job in a shortened rookie season by just setting him up to do what he does best and doing it playing off the players who will most benefit from it. If he can grasp the defense well enough, he should ascend to that starting 2-spot and put a stranglehold on it for the next 5 years.

100% agree that you hope for a starter. You draft a guy in the lottery, even the last pick in the lottery, and that's what you're hoping for. Smart on the bench balances your ball handlers between 1st/2nd unit too. But if Nesmith isn't a day 1 starter that's not the end of the world. If he isn't good enough to play 15 minutes a night right away, not that's kind of problematic for me. Because he isn't some massive upside guy who needs time to grow. He's king of a lower floor lower ceiling type guy by most accounts.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,274

Post#636 » by Parliament10 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Moving this here, from the Trade Thread:

What are we looking at, for a 20-Man Offseason/Preseason Roster?

Proposed 20-Man Offseason Rotation, 2020-21:
Kemba - Brown - Tatum - (XXXX) - Thompson
Teague - Smart - Nesmith - G.Williams - Theis
Waters - Pritchard - Langford - Ojeleye - R.Williams
Madar - Edwards - Green - (XXXX) - Fall

Maine Red Claws = (Madar - Fall)

We can go into the Regular Season with a Max of 15 NBA players, and 2 x Two-Way Contracts.
I don't see a clear Starting PF. Unless we move Theis over?
Smart remains as the Super 6th-Man. But then again, we don't have a 2nd ball handler on the 1st Unit.

Brown and Tatum could share the Ballhanding, depending upon who comes in as PF.
Though, Brown is 2/3, who is best as a 2 (non-ballhandling). And Tatum is a 3/4, who is best as a 3.

As of now is either:
Kemba - Smart - Brown - Tatum - Thompson

Or:
Kemba - Brown - Tatum - Theis - Thompson
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Demon22
Sophomore
And1: 156

Post#637 » by Demon22 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 pm