ImageImageImageImageImage

Explain "treadmill team".

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Re: Explain "treadmill team". 

Post#21 » by douggood » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm

i keep on saying, its easier from going to good team to great team, than its to go from bad team to even a good team, let alone a great team.

orlando magic are defination of treadmill for me, no plan, hung to aaron gordan too long, no financial flex.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,460

Post#22 » by Brinbe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm

douggood wrote:i keep on saying, its easier from going to good team to great team, than its to go from bad team to even a good team, let alone a great team.

yep, 1000000000%
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,418

Post#23 » by SFour » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm

when I think of treadmilling I think a team stuck in the 6-10th seed range for at least 3 seasons in a row.....for example the Pistons, Magic, Hornets.....when you think of what these teams will have accomplished in the next 5 years you definitely don't think of a championship or even being a top 4 seed.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#24 » by 720 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
720 wrote:When I think of a treadmill team I think of a team that has limited potential that doesn’t do anything about it. So for example the blazers. We’ve known for years that lillard and McCollum are not going to win a championship but that organization just keeps running it back every year.

Our Derozan years, we knew he wasn’t the guy to lead us to a championship but we kept running it back.

Except that even in that case the fact that we hung onto him and kept our assets, rather than adopting an unproven tanking strategy, meant that we were in the position to make a move and push for a championship, and ultimately bring one home, when the time was right.

I wasn't pro tank, and honestly tanking is even dumber now considering the odds of getting the number one pick. I just wanted us to trade Demar and give Lowry a real star to play alongside with. Thankfully Zaza injured Kawhi and we got the chance of a lifetime to get a top 3 player in the league for a top 30 player.
GetFamiliar
Junior
And1: 632

Post#25 » by GetFamiliar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Basically so far in this thread people who get what a treadmill team have commented but those that call the Raps a treadmill team have not lol
Let’s see if that changes
KING KING KABAB KING
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#26 » by sidsid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:59 pm

The only context that matters for the Raptors regarding the term is if there is a plan to acquire a Superstar.

By definition you are treadmilling if you don't have one. See the Celtics as an example. Top 4 team in the east, and none of it matters until they trade for a superstar.

The Raptors right now are NOT treadmilling. We are planning for the Giannis offseason.

If we strikeout, then we're back to the DeRozan years. Just treadmilling until a trade is possible or setting up for the next big FA offseason.
Ivre
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#27 » by Ivre » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:03 pm

See image above.
G_Misconduct
Senior
And1: 947

Post#28 » by G_Misconduct » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm

To me a treadmill team is a team that teeters around the 7-10 seed for several consecutive years with no real window to improve significantly via draft or free agency

Pistons, Magic, early 2010s Raps, current Spurs come to mind
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,155

Post#29 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 pm

a non championship contender for years is a treadmill team. doesn't matter what seed you are.

If Raptors keep being the same type of team the next few years, you can call them a treadmill team. so in the NBA, unless the Raptors get a superstar in the next few years, they are beginning to look like a treadmill team.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#30 » by Psubs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Anticon wrote:A treadmill just means are running in place. putting in a lot of effort but not advancing or receding.

Some treadmill teams are better than others.

The Celtics are a treadmill team. The Sixers pre Hinkie were famously so. Portland probably is too.

We, on the other hand, are transitioning or getting worse. So no treadmill here.

I would say there are Treadmill Contenders and Treadmill Tankers.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#31 » by TheBoi10 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 pm

Mediocre teams and/or teams without a superstar. Raptors could finish 2nd in the regular season again but they have no chance to win because nobody can get buckets.
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#32 » by kj_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:27 pm

To me, it’s the teams stuck in the 7-10 range that have little observable path to improvement. Maxed out talent and no salary flexibility. Too good to get a high pick, and too bad to get out of the first round.

This is the traditional definition. The term has been wildly expanded by many.

Any definition that includes the 2 and 3 seed is difficult to listen to. If a team makes the conference finals, they are not a treadmill team. They are a top 4 team in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Re: Explain 

Post#33 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 pm

kj_ wrote:To me, it’s the teams stuck in the 7-10 range that have little observable path to improvement. Maxed out talent and no salary flexibility. Too good to get a high pick, and too bad to get out of the first round.

Any definition that includes the 2 and 3 seed is difficult to listen to. If a team makes the conference finals, they are not a treadmill team. They are a top 4 team in the league.

if you cannot win a championship, subjectively/objectively no chance to go win in ECF/WCF, but still finish top 2-3 seed in your conference, it just means you're in a weak conference.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#34 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:02 pm

This year's raps team without a centre and forward depth... a team that fights for 8th seed....
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#35 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:This year's raps team without a centre and forward depth... a team that fights for 8th seed....

thats just realistically speaking. Giannis, Bam, Vucevic, Embiid gonna feast on us right now in our current situation.

best starting centers remaining I believe:
Gasol
Baynes
Alex Len

to handle those guys in the season. don't know if I missed any other realistic targets.

projects for the g-league
Thon Maker? barfs
Zizic?
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Post#36 » by C Court » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:17 pm

Treadmill team is easily explained.

It’s the most annoying term you will hear on this board and anyone who brings it up should be subject to a suspension or ban.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#37 » by Ramed Nazored » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Centre Court wrote:Treadmill team is easily explained.

It’s the most annoying term you will hear on this board and anyone who brings it up should be subject to a suspension or ban.

Right you are sir.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#38 » by libertyYYZ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Raptors were capped out last year and this year unless we did a blockbuster. Summer 2021 will allow us to open up the pursestrings. Our championship window has closed, for now. We're competitive, but not at the top-4 level. 2019-20 and 2020-21 are developmental years for our young core. We'll see Siakim, OG and Freddy take their games up another notch.

MLSE has deep pockets when required in a championship window and we have a top-tier front office. Masai and Bobby will reload next year when it's more favourable to do so. Until then we're slipping back again to 4-5 in the conference.

This board will lose its collective mind after every loss, but keep playing the long game.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#39 » by kj_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:33 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
kj_ wrote:To me, it’s the teams stuck in the 7-10 range that have little observable path to improvement. Maxed out talent and no salary flexibility. Too good to get a high pick, and too bad to get out of the first round.

if you cannot win a championship, subjectively/objectively no chance to go win in ECF/WCF, but still finish top 2-3 seed in your conference, it just means you're in a weak conference.

If you’re in the conference finals you have a shot to make it to the finals. If you make it to the finals, you have a shot to win the championship. You are not a treadmill team, imo. You are entitled to yours. There is no factual definition for this. It’s just a bunch of people that have an opinion.

LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Re: Explain 

Post#40 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:17 am

kj_ wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

If you’re in the conference finals you have a shot to make it to the finals. If you make it to the finals, you have a shot to win the championship. You are not a treadmill team, imo. You are entitled to yours. There is no factual definition for this. It’s just a bunch of people that have an opinion.

I mean we don't have to look far back and as close to home as the Toronto Raptors during the Derozan era. Raptors were in the same conference as prime LBJ. raptors had 0 chance to beat LBJ and looking back at it - Raptors were a treadmill team.

they were pretty much doing the same over and over and hoping they would beat Lebron James. pretty much what I just explained. playoff contender. not a real championship contender.

Return to Toronto Raptors