ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#61 » by Drax » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am

I like this signing. He won't blow us away with anything but his playmaking ability is something we desperatly needed for our 2nd unit.

If Ainge now finds a veteran wing who can give us 10 minutes and hit a three pointer or two, he at least adressed the needs for this ball club.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#62 » by ParticleMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am

Teague is far from what he was but if he comes in for a year to mentor pritchard and stabilize the second unit that's a good get.

One thing Teague will do is pass the damn ball. 5.2 ast in 25 mpg, vs. 2 in 20 mpg for brad. Brad was super solid but let's not forget his limitations. It will be refreshing to have a PG who leads a fast break and actually passes the ball to someone.

The best thing about this is it's a 1 year deal.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#63 » by BK_2020 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm

ParticleMan wrote:One thing Teague will do is pass the damn ball.

Jeff Teague literally does not know how to make an entry pass, let alone run a pick and roll. It seems like your knowledge of Jeff Teague comes from his stat sheets. You will be very unpleasantly surprised when you get to see him with your own two eyes.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#64 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 pm

I've been asking for a steady hand at the backup PG for a long time.

Teague isn't amazing, he's quite bad actually if you want him to do more than just play the backup-PG minutes left between Kemba and Smart, but he's a veteran.

The first thing you'll notice is how good is to have a PG that knows how to manipulate pace (CP3 is a god at this). Wannamaker was solid but he was an awful decision maker at pace control and had pretty bad vision.

Teague knows when to accelerate the pace, when to slow it down, how to make defenses move around, when to shift the ball and certainly can play the P&R better than Wanna. Our team was horrible at all of this without Hayward.

If its for a min deal, this is a not a bad get.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#65 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 pm

The Celtics have now signed a former All-Star in 4 of the last 5 seasons. :P
ā–‘Nā–‘0ā–‘0ā–‘Dā–‘Sā–‘ ā–‘Iā–‘Nā–‘ ā–‘Bā–‘Iā–‘Oā–‘
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#66 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 pm

I think Wanamaker is probably better than Teague at this point, but Teague fits better IMO. We lost our best or second best playmaker in Hayward. Teague isnā€™t a very good shooter, and doesnā€™t have Wanamakers defensive toughness, but he has the ability to create good looks for other guys.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#67 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Wanamaker VS Teague at 4:20
Wanamaker gets his REVENGE at 5:20
Overall, Teague had a fine night against our G-League select roster, including several passes that Iā€™ve never seen Wanamaker make, and missed several clutch shots.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#68 » by Ernest » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
Cuban Pete wrote:
Waider wrote:We desperately needed another playmaker - I like this. Well done Ainge.

17.5 TO%
18.5 USG %

"well done" as in cooked.

These stats arenā€™t really related to one another. For example, Rondoā€™s career average TOV% is actually higher than his career average USG%, but he was one of the best playmakers at the PG position the last 10 years.

Unless you ask half the people here. Then he's "a big loser" and we need to "Make the Celtics Great Again" and "Fire Danny Ainge" and "Drain the bogs"
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#69 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

Jeff Teague literally does not know how to make an entry pass, let alone run a pick and roll. It seems like your knowledge of Jeff Teague comes from his stat sheets. You will be very unpleasantly surprised when you get to see him with your own two eyes.

Well when he plays us, he just magically gets those abilities to operate in the PnR and make entry passes, and apparently against the rest of the league he sucks because he's been carving us to pieces pretty much since he came into the league.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#70 » by TommyPointGawd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 pm

After sleeping on it. I concede and I support the this signing.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#71 » by ParticleMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

Thanks pal, I saw that youtube video too :) I'm aware Teague isn't John Stockton, but I really hated Wanamaker dribbling the air out of the ball until 10 seconds on the clock in every half court set. Teague is a vet pg who knows how to run a set. I'll take that for our 2nd unit.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#72 » by darrendaye » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm

One thing about this signing is he might be one of the few legit options that would be willing to rotate regular season playing time to audition some of the younger options as the season goes along.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#73 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:26 pm

darrendaye wrote:One thing about this signing is he might be one of the few legit options that would be willing to rotate regular season playing time to audition some of the younger options as the season goes along.

And I think we all realize by now that it would be foolish not to prepare a backup plan for Kemba for the rest of his contract.

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#74 » by djFan71 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 pm

While I loved Wanamaker for what he was, I will not miss him missing every single possible pass leading the fast break.
As others have noted Teague is an upgrade in that playmaking area, which is where losing Hayward hurts.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#75 » by BK_2020 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm

The Comedian wrote:I think Wanamaker is probably better than Teague at this point, but Teague fits better IMO. We lost our best or second best playmaker in Hayward. Teague isnā€™t a very good shooter, and doesnā€™t have Wanamakers defensive toughness, but he has the ability to create good looks for other guys.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a question that Wanamaker is better. He shoots better basically on same volume and plays D without being a turnover machine. It is not hard to beat Jeff Teague.
Jeff Teague does not create good looks for anyone. He canā€™t shoot from the three and he canā€™t finish well. He does nothing well and thereā€™s no reason for defenses to respect him. They will either let him shoot or turn it over which Teague will consistently do if heā€™s allowed to play.
I hope we see a lot of Carsten and this Chad fellow.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#76 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

djFan71 wrote:While I loved Wanamaker for what he was, I will not miss him missing every single possible pass leading the fast break.
As others have noted Teague is an upgrade in that playmaking area, which is where losing Hayward hurts.

I finally found equilibrium with Wanamaker at the end of his tenure last season. But make no mistake, I'd sooner trust him to run a McDonald's before I trusted him to run a fast break, or even a decent halfcourt set. He excelled at finishing, getting to the line, FT shooting and defense. He did also shoot the ball decent from 3. But we need what Teague does better than him more and that's be an experienced, reliable ballhandler and playmaker.

And not to kick him on his way out the door but has anyone really looked at Hayward's playoff numbers for his tenure in Boston? There really isn't that much to replace.

ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#77 » by ballup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Never been a fan of Teague, but he can do alright. The bench needs some scoring and I'd take Teague over Wanamaker for that. I'd be concerned more about the passing if we had post players and guys who needed the ball off the bench.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#78 » by grindtime22 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Meh

Hopefully this is just more insurance than anything and he ends up with a lesser role than Wannamaker had. It's nice to have a steady hand, but it sucks when you know he is a terrible defender.
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#79 » by nic4747 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:36 am

Pretty good signing to replace Wanamaker. He's basically the same as Wanamaker but with more assists and a slightly less shooting %.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#80 » by sully00 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 am

Cuban Pete wrote:
Waider wrote:We desperately needed another playmaker - I like this. Well done Ainge.

17.5 TO%
18.5 USG %

"well done" as in cooked.

Usually you compare ast% to to% and Teague is much better than anyone on the Celtics. 3:1 Assist to Turnover ratio.

Return to Boston Celtics