ImageImageImageImageImage

Grade the Knicks offseason

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Grade:

A+
7%
A
5%
B+/A-
2%
B
19%
C+/B-
19%
C
12%
D+/C-
9%
D
5%
D-
2%
F
21%

Total votes: 43

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Re: Grade the Knicks offseason 

Post#21 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 pm

I seriously give it a F and I can’t understand how Knicks fans could give it a better grade than D.

Leon Rose managed to assemble a roster that doesn’t fit where all the players make each other worse. It’s straight sabotage. There’s no way you can develop RJ, Mitch and Obi with Payton and Randle still on the roster.

The CAA/Kentucky ties reek of corruption and nepotism.

The Obi pick makes no sense whatsoever. He doesn’t fit with Mitch at all and creates another fit issue with his inability to play defense.

The Knicks needed guard play and they failed to address that in the draft or in free agency.

What we have is a roster where everybody will play out of position and make each other worse, where the young guys won’t be developed properly and are put in a position to fail due to the lack of spacing, where selfish players are rewarded (Payton) and where the most important aspect in today’s game (shooting) is completely ignored. Don’t be surprised if the locker room is toxic this year.

This offseason is a disgrace and it pains me to see fellow Knicks fans buy that **** or preach patience with a front office that’s clearly incompetent if not corrupt.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#22 » by Garbagelo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I won't give a grade
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#23 » by br7knicks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm

vallen wrote:Cant really give them credit for pulling off Obi because a possum would have taken him at 8. Quickly could have been taken in the 2nd and we just replaced crap with crap in FA. C+ and thats generous seeing how so many thought Rose and WWW were so "connected" in the league.

you might be right about quickley in the second. but someone made an argument that, by getting him in the first, and if quickley really turns out to be a keeper, he'll be on a team friendly contract for longer than if he was a SRP
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,760

Post#24 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:18 pm

I voted C+ / B-. I Know how desperate we are for guard play but if we're choosing between Haliburton or Toppin, I'd rather pick Toppin. I can see how there's potentially a star version of his style of play. Something I don't really see with Haliburton. Time will tell with Deni, my problem with him was he was way better in the Israeli league than he was in the Euroleague. How we handled the late first is what really pissed me off. RJ Hampton better bust cuz trading back for Quickley and then getting rid of the pick we got to move back just made no sense. We just needed to grab whatever point guard they liked the best there. Like it's so silly that the guy we wanted at 33 was gone that we didn't have a second option there when he was gone? Like why panic? It honestly reminds me how the Warriors stole Curry in front of us and we drafted a random big instead of the next guard or wing on our board.

If we grabbed any other pg guard other than Payton I'd be much happier with free agency. We just needed someone that could shoot a little bit instead of him. Hopefully Frank can come in and steal the job from Payton with a working jumper but I won't be holding my breath. The thing is I wasn't trying to be good this year anyways with a potentially all time great class coming out of college.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,236

Post#25 » by Zenzibar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Draft was an A:
Obi is the Neismith and Wooden award winner. Automatic contention for ROY.
Quickley is the SEC palyer of the year and a beast of an offensive player.
We walked away with another 2nd rounder in the talent heavy 2023 draft (high schoolers).

Incomplete grade in free agency.
Brock Aller has help=d fast in not over-extending the Knicks cap flexibility in these ridicously free agent signings for meh free agents.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#26 » by E-Balla » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm

D. None of the movements were crippling, Thibs is a coach we should've had forever ago that knows how to develop going players (or at least he did in Chicago), but we didn't do anything to make me think we'll lose enough games to have a maximum tank. Still the new lottery odds make that mean less and we should still be around 25-30 wins.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#27 » by JXL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Draft in general: B-

A for Obi. He's going to be great.
C for Quickley. Dude was going to be there in the 2nd round, but taking him in the 1st round is a huge reach.

Free agency: C+

D for Payton. Why?
B+ for Burks. Underrated, and he's worked on his shooting.
B for Noel. Great value for a backup.

Overall: B-

Like what I'm seeing, but expected a bit more since Thibs will look to have a competitive roster, which this is not.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#28 » by NYKat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm

We got the most NBA ready player in the draft so I'll give us a B+ there

Free Agency was anti-climactic for thats a D+, they only get points for not overpaying and keeping flexibility
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#29 » by TruthBeTold » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:10 am

:lol: I see the F grade is leading the charge.

I guess Knicks fans are already expecting another lottery pick next year.
Earl the Pearl
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#30 » by Earl the Pearl » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:43 am

Those grades are incomplete. They have'nt finished moving the pieces around yet.
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 676

Post#31 » by ForzaMetro » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:26 am

A+
* Got 3 second rounders, Spellman, and Evans for holding Ed Davis on the roster for a few hours. Brilliant.
* Turned 27 and 38 into 25 and 33. Another brilliant piece of business.

A
* The front office/scouting hires around Leon Rose. Somewhat cheating since I guess they technically started before the offseason.
* Cut bait with everyone on a team option, except Bullock. No-brainer, but in the past, the Knicks have bungled no-brainers.

B
* Signed Nerlens Noel to a 1 year, $5M deal. Solid rotation big at a bargain price.
* Signed Alec Burks to a 1 year, $5M deal. Coming off career best shooting year. Wish he was a few years younger.

B-
* Traded the 33rd pick for a future 2nd rounder. If you don't rate the players on the board, doesn't hurt to punt.

C+
* Hired Thibs to be the head coach. I have my concerns...he wasn't my first choice. I expect my grade to be lower than others.
* Drafted Obi Toppin with the 8th pick. I rounded up from a C, giving the new FO the benefit of the doubt.
* Drafted Immanuel Quickley with the 25th pick. I rounded up from a C, giving the new FO the benefit of the doubt.
* Signed Theo Pinson to a two-way contract. Sure, why not.

C-
* Signed Austin Rivers to a 3 year, $10M deal (only year one fully guaranteed). Hopefully someone trades for him.

D+
* Signed Elfred Payton to a 1 year, $5M deal. We saw this movie already and agreed it wasn't a rewatchable.

------------------------

Add it all up (I don't think I'm forgetting something) I'd put them in the B-/C+ range. Hope they're convinced on Toppin, because in the long run, that decision is almost certainly going to matter more than any of the others they made.

The strategy of not locking into multi-year contracts is a sound one, given the alternatives. They did a better job with it than the last FO did last off-season, that's for sure, though I would've liked something better than Payton & Rivers at the PG position. Could've used an PG who can help bring out the best of our young players. But that was a difficult task.

I reserve my right to change the grade if (1) they do something unthinkably awful, like trade for Russ Westbrook, or (2) pleasantly surprise us by finding a taker for Julius Randle.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,168

Post#32 » by aggo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 am

Not drafting Cole Anthony

A+
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#33 » by denterprise » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:49 am

Since we are still in the off-season I will give them an incomplete. We don't know yet if management is moving pieces like chess masters or pushing pieces around like clueless neophytes. As a Knick fan, I truly hope there is a master plan to all the moves they are making, and by the next offseason, we are pleased with our team roster.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:56 am

55% so far see it at B- or below
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Post#35 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:07 am

Off-season is not over

Return to New York Knicks