Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0 

Post#341 » by blind prophet » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:58 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:We might see a Buddy trade within the next 48 hours. I’m pretty sure Bogi is gone though. McNair is just going to clean house. I hate it, but it is what it is. Vlade ruined the cap sheet.

I didn't like the return from the blundered Bucks trade, but at least we would of got DDV, walking away with nothing is going to suck. But hey remember we tried to nab Porter and Lavine, both of their teams matched.

Didn’t those teams have incumbent GMs? I’m not getting that vibe from Monte. I’m really not sure what he thinks he can do without Bogi though. Is he going to rehab Buddy? What does he think of Barnes? Those two contracts are worse than what Bogi will get (granted, I think Barnes has a fine deal going into year 2). I’m just struggling to see what Monte thinks he can do while squandering an asset and good player like Bogi.

Well, cap space and relief cannot be underestimated. But that would be for trade purposes as nobody normally wants to come here. And how much of an asset will we be able to get? Craps shoot.

I don't know what the right call is. I will say the Hawks seem pretty certain we won't match. If they did a 4 for 80 I doubt we would match. So they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Interesting things though over at the Kings web site, I predicted 17.5 a year, was pretty close about what Atlanta would offer. This was before the announced 72 million.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#342 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Buzzard wrote:The Hawks are playing small market ball giving the player all the good options. 15% trade kicker, 1 year no trade clause, and a player option.
Read on Twitter

The 1 year no trade is a condition of any matched S&T, not of the specific offer. The TK at 15% is a nice kick in the groin to a Sac match attempt though.

No a big fan of the PO from a team perspective, but it might just have been the cost to get the signing.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#343 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Buzzard wrote:The Hawks are playing small market ball giving the player all the good options. 15% trade kicker, 1 year no trade clause, and a player option.
Read on Twitter

The 1 year no trade is a condition of any matched S&T, not of the specific offer. The TK at 15% is a nice kick in the groin to a Sac match attempt though.

No a big fan of the PO from a team perspective, but it might just have been the cost to get the signing.

The Hawks gave Rondo a PO. I think they are doing whats necessary to get players to Atlanta.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#344 » by rpa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm

Hard to say what the Kings do. Given the signings we've seen this appears pretty much fair market value (the trade kicker hurts, of course). We know they were willing to let him go (at about this same contract) with an asset coming back. Will they let him go at the same contract without an asset?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Post#345 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm

Teams often structure RFA offer sheets to be team unfriendly intentionally to discourage matches. I think this was less about the Hawks having to do this to get him to sign and more about trying to discourage the Kings from matching.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#346 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Teams often structure RFA offer sheets to be team unfriendly intentionally to discourage matches. I think this was less about the Hawks having to do this to get him to sign and more about trying to discourage the Kings from matching.

That 15% kicker is absolutely a deterrent to keep the Kings from matching. I am meh on the player option. If he opts out after three years, that will be the same season Gallinari's deal ends. There might be nothing wrong that season with clearing 38 million in cap.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#347 » by blind prophet » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm

rpa wrote:Hard to say what the Kings do. Given the signings we've seen this appears pretty much fair market value (the trade kicker hurts, of course). We know they were willing to let him go (at about this same contract) with an asset coming back. Will they let him go at the same contract without an asset?

If I recall correctly the Bucks contract was 60 million over 4 years. This contract is significantly larger with the option and kicker.
HartfordWhalers

Post#348 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:34 pm

blind prophet wrote:
rpa wrote:Hard to say what the Kings do. Given the signings we've seen this appears pretty much fair market value (the trade kicker hurts, of course). We know they were willing to let him go (at about this same contract) with an asset coming back. Will they let him go at the same contract without an asset?

If I recall correctly the Bucks contract was 60 million over 4 years. This contract is significantly larger with the option and kicker.

Loserx had the details in a different thread, but it stared at ~16.1-16.8m. If increasing, it hits the exact same contract in essence.

If I'm the Kings, I think I match and pray someone takes Buddy. But I think they probably have been trying to ship Buddy out already. If I match, I expect the contract will be value neutral going forward, and isn't an asset.
HartfordWhalers

Post#349 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:39 pm

What about:
Cha Out: Batum
Cha in: Randle, Jabari

Randle is an upgrade, and after Jabari inclusion, it clears a touch of space for the Hayward deal. For getting there I think they can stretch Jabari, trade him, or maybe they are there even?

NYK out: Randle
NYK in: Hield

Gets a shooter to space the floor for a big in a suddenly crowded big rotation

Sac out: Hield, Jabari
Sac in: Batum

Sac clears long term money to match Bogdan. Batum might even be better than Jabari, so there is that?

Each team also gets 2 2nds from every other team, so whenever anyone complains about value there are 2 2nds they got also.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,527

Post#350 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HartfordWhalers

Post#351 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Read on Twitter
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#352 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:42 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:What about:

Randle is an upgrade, and after Jabari inclusion, it clears a touch of space for the Hayward deal. For getting there I think they can stretch Jabari, trade him, or maybe they are there even?

Sac clears long term money to match Bogdan. Batum might even be better than Jabari, so there is that?

Each team also gets 2 2nds from every other team, so whenever anyone complains about value there are 2 2nds they got also.

Charlotte needs to cut about $8-9M I think? This doesn't do that, and stretching Jabari wouldn't do enough either.

I guess Randle can be stretched for 4.5M/year over 5 years? Not crazy about that either though
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HartfordWhalers

Post#353 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Charlotte needs to cut about $8-9M I think? This doesn't do that, and stretching Jabari wouldn't do enough either.

I guess Randle can be stretched for 4.5M/year over 5 years? Not crazy about that either though

So, Jabari goes to say Knicks (or OKC) and Charlotte sends a good 2nd and 2m cash?
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#354 » by Buzzard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is a lot of moving players and picks.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#355 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

So, Jabari goes to say Knicks (or OKC) and Charlotte sends a good 2nd and 2m cash?

we got 2nds from LAC and BRK next year if they want those I guess
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#356 » by Resistance » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Already part of the CBA for the team sending out the player to pay for the Trade Kicker.

99. Can players be given a bonus when they are traded?

Teams are permitted to write a bonus called a "trade bonus" (sometimes referred to as a "trade kicker") into contracts. This bonus is paid to the player when he is traded, but only upon his first trade and not upon any subsequent trades (in the case of a sign-and-trade, they don't count the initial trade when the contract is signed). The trade bonus is paid by the team trading away the player. The trade bonus can be defined as a specific dollar amount, a specific percentage of the remaining value of the contract, or some combination (for example, "$1 million or 10% of the remaining value of the contract, whichever is less"). In either case, the actual amount cannot exceed 15% of the remaining value of the contract. For example, suppose a player has a four-year contract that pays $10 million per year. This player also has a $5 million trade bonus. Since the trade bonus is limited to 15% of the remaining value of the contract, the actual value of the bonus varies from year to year, as follows (the bonus pro-rates during the season, so these amounts are exact only at the start of each season):
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#357 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#358 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Buzzard wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is a lot of moving players and picks.

Gray, Cheatham, and Williams were all BYC I believe so they all 3 had to be included and get guaranteed contracts.

Good for those guys.
enzino
Veteran
And1: 141

Post#359 » by enzino » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 pm

i wonder how harden and westbrook are not moving before cap spaces are over
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#360 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 pm