ImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Re: Free Agency 

Post#121 » by tradez401 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:54 pm

I'm hoping once houston gets rid of westbrook/harden a team takes blake off our hands.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#122 » by Han Solo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Giles to Portland on a one year deal. Wish we would have signed him instead of Plumlee. Would have been a good FA had that happened to me
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#123 » by BJK1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Han Solo wrote:Giles to Portland on a one year deal. Wish we would have signed him instead of Plumlee. Would have been a good FA had that happened to me

Yeah, Giles and Josh Jackson were the guys I was hoping for. Glad they’re bringing in Jackson at least. Young, low risk, low cost signings with developmental upside was what I wanted. In theory, Okafor still qualifies as a young guy, but without the developmental upside. He’s purely a post player on offense with very limited defensive range.

Meanwhile, the NYK signed Nerlens Noel to a one year, $5mm deal and are resigning Elfrid Payton at PG. And they’re apparently having conversations with CHA about taking the last year of Batum’s deal off their hands, allowing them to clear room for the Hayward signing. I’m assuming NYK would get a pick from CHA for doing that.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Post#124 » by tradez401 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Han Solo wrote:Giles to Portland on a one year deal. Wish we would have signed him instead of Plumlee. Would have been a good FA had that happened to me

There was more better bigmen than plumlee on the market i wish we would've gotten nerlens noel he's cheaper and a shot blocker.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#125 » by russkopp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 pm

BJK1 wrote:

Yeah, Giles and Josh Jackson were the guys I was hoping for. Glad they’re bringing in Jackson at least. Young, low risk, low cost signings with developmental upside was what I wanted. In theory, Okafor still qualifies as a young guy, but without the developmental upside. He’s purely a post player on offense with very limited defensive range.

Meanwhile, the NYK signed Nerlens Noel to a one year, $5mm deal and are resigning Elfrid Payton at PG. And they’re apparently having conversations with CHA about taking the last year of Batum’s deal off their hands, allowing them to clear room for the Hayward signing. I’m assuming NYK would get a pick from CHA for doing that.

Our team is officially run worse than the Knicks. Horrible.
Fire Troy Weaver
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#126 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 pm

tradez401 wrote:

There was more better bigmen than plumlee on the market i wish we would've gotten nerlens noel he's cheaper and a shot blocker.

Read on Twitter

The Blazers getting Giles for a league minimum sure as hell doesn't ease the pain of Weaver giving Plumlee 3 years/$25 mil ten minutes into free agency.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#127 » by BJK1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Weaver clearly had his sight set on Plumlee, so I won’t use him as the in lieu of guy, as his signing was happening regardless. But Okafor over Giles? Wrong Dukie, Troy. Giles isn’t some great shooter, but even with his injury history, I still think he possesses better potential than Okafor. Beyond that, he’s an excellent passer for a young big.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#128 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Too bad Stefanski wasn't running free agency. Previous years, He was really good at being patient and finding team-friendly deals later on in free agency. We didn't need to rush out to offer big deals to role players...not when we are rebuilding.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
thesack12
RealGM

Post#129 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 am

Read on Twitter

Plumlee signing just continues to look worse and worse.

Baynes gets less $ per season, less years, and the 2nd year is a team option.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,441

Post#130 » by Canadafan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Baynes wouldn't have signed with us for that.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#131 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:09 am

Canadafan wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's beside the point. Baynes and Plumlee are comparable players. The Baynes signing gives a window into what the market was.

As I mentioned a few days ago, when Detroit signs a low level FA in the first few minutes of free agency its pretty safe to assume that it was a (big) overpay.
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#132 » by pistonpat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:17 am

thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's beside the point. Baynes and Plumlee are comparable players. The Baynes signing gives a window into what the market was.

As I mentioned a few days ago, when Detroit signs a low level FA in the first few minutes of free agency its pretty safe to assume that it was a (big) overpay.

Weaver really has looked like a rookie rushing to be aggressive and over paying for a 30 year old center and now having to stretch half his other trades to make it work. Embarrassing.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,441

Post#133 » by Canadafan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:18 am

pistonpat wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Weaver really has looked like a rookie rushing to be aggressive and over paying for a 30 year old center and now having to stretch half his other trades to make it work. Embarrassing.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#134 » by Pharaoh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 am

thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Or it's a very specific target for reasons the FO believes to be true...

We obviously chose no Wood.

Obviously weren't going to get Trez, Ibaka, Gasol, Baynes or Dwight here for less than the MLE.

So we got Plumlee.

After all the talk of paying a Detroit/Michigan tax on any free agent we actually signed 2 dudes for market value or less than that and some of you gotta trash it?

Rebuilding sucks, we need to suck and finally now we will!

Embrace it

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
thesack12
RealGM

Post#135 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:28 am

Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Obviously weren't going to get Trez, Ibaka, Gasol, Baynes or Dwight here for less than the MLE.

So we got Plumlee.

After all the talk of paying a Detroit/Michigan tax on any free agent we actually signed 2 dudes for market value or less than that and some of you gotta trash it?

Embrace it

Sorry man, Weaver Targeting Plumlee for a long term contract doesn't make me feel any better.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#136 » by Piston Pete » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 am

Canadafan wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Marc Gasol is signing to 2 years, $5.3 million.

Lakers are getting Gasol for less money combined over 2 years than we’re paying Plumlee per each season.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#137 » by bstein14 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:01 am

Looking at what a lot of other Cs are signing for, we grossly overpaid. It's kind of like what SVG did with Boban.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#138 » by El Chivo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

So we got Plumlee.

Embrace it

I embrace rebuilding and sucking, but not throwing away 2nd rounders, stretching contracts and being loose with capsace as Weaver was.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#139 » by Kilo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Gasol doesn't sign with the Pistons for even Plumlee money let alone the money he took from the Lakers. Come on folks, Detroit is a bottom five year in the league this year and in order to get any player of even Plumlee's worth here youre going to have to over pay. Plumlee brings a specific skill set to help develop Hayes (and Stewart). You basically paid Plumlee to give up any contending or title aspirations. But you either do that or get bottom of the barrel FA left overs who don't fit and probably malcontents not going to help your young players develop.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
thesack12
RealGM

Post#140 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Kilo wrote:Gasol doesn't sign with the Pistons for even Plumlee money let alone the money he took from the Lakers. Come on folks, Detroit is a bottom five year in the league this year and in order to get any player of even Plumlee's worth here youre going to have to over pay. Plumlee brings a specific skill set to help develop Hayes (and Stewart). You basically paid Plumlee to give up any contending or title aspirations. But you either do that or get bottom of the barrel FA left overs who don't fit and probably malcontents not going to help your young players develop.

Or you sign Harry Giles for 1 year $5 mil.
Or you offer a slight bump to what the Knicks got Nerlens Noel for and give him 1 year $7 mil.

Point is, how about you practice a little patience and see how the market develops before tripping overself while frothing at the mouth to give Mason Plumlee 3 years/$25 million?

Regardless of what you do, if you are truly rebuilding, you don't tie up cap space for 3 years on middling 30 year old veterans.

Return to Detroit Pistons