Cavs F.A. 2020

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Re: Cavs F.A. 2020 

Post#41 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

We just can't get anyone good to take our money at this point.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:Marques Bolden was in the cavs bubble and the more i read about his defense last season in the development league along with his mobility and length and paint presence i think hes a shoe in for a converted contract.
Maybe they have looked to recruit obviously more well know or proven options at the 5 behind dre but given the pandemic and the amount of adjustment adding one lottery player with such little time to get acclimated taking all the focus
Has on them it may he a hard sell to convince the noel giles etc group they can get enough pt in cle to boost their next contract esp. with Love Dre and Nance ahead of them as well.
Im looking at cast aways that maybe can take the chance just being happy to have it. Norvel Pelle is an option inside or Hartenstien but adding a defensive focused pass first lead guard with size to defend 3 positions into the mix would be reasonable to bring in if Bolden has enough backing to fill the gap at the 5.
Love wanting to get traded has been headline news for two years. It's been widely reported that the Cavs and Drummond are far apart on an extension and he's likely to get moved at the deadline. Nance is, at best, a situational starter.

There was a good opportunity for a young guy to come here on a two-year deal and maybe carve out a starting role. Noel took a $5M one year deal to play for the Knicks. If Giles isn't playing for the minimum on a backup role, it's close to it. Players are taking less money to play elsewhere.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#43 » by tleikheen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Portland has :

Harry Giles, 22 ,6'11"
Zach Collins 22,6'11"
Nassir Little 20,6'5"
Gary Trent Jr, 21 ,6'5"
Anfernee Simons 21,6'3"

Portlands under 22 years old and under team could beat Clevelands team

Cavs will have to break up the unworkable duo of Garland and Sexton and KPJ is a strike away from being let go. Windler and Okoro play the same position and they have no young bigs being counted on to play for them .......Not looking good
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#44 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Marques Bolden was in the cavs bubble and the more i read about his defense last season in the development league along with his mobility and length and paint presence i think hes a shoe in for a converted contract.
Maybe they have looked to recruit obviously more well know or proven options at the 5 behind dre but given the pandemic and the amount of adjustment adding one lottery player with such little time to get acclimated taking all the focus
Has on them it may he a hard sell to convince the noel giles etc group they can get enough pt in cle to boost their next contract esp. with Love Dre and Nance ahead of them as well.
Im looking at cast aways that maybe can take the chance just being happy to have it. Norvel Pelle is an option inside or Hartenstien but adding a defensive focused pass first lead guard with size to defend 3 positions into the mix would be reasonable to bring in if Bolden has enough backing to fill the gap at the 5.
Love wanting to get traded has been headline news for two years. It's been widely reported that the Cavs and Drummond are far apart on an extension and he's likely to get moved at the deadline. Nance is, at best, a situational starter.

There was a good opportunity for a young guy to come here on a two-year deal and maybe carve out a starting role. Noel took a $5M one year deal to play for the Knicks. If Giles isn't playing for the minimum on a backup role, it's close to it. Players are taking less money to play elsewhere.

Certainly possible that is all it is not wanting to play somewhere with no pass first guards but i dont agree about what has been reported about love being a available being factor given they surely would have moved him by now if he was getting moved so thats one guy ahead of a mle big coming in and in a shortened season for a team rumored to be no longer interested in tanking (which i dont necessarily agree with btw)
Its just more reason to think the cavs plan on paying Dre what the market says he is worth next summer.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#45 » by Revenged25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 pm

tleikheen wrote:Portland has :

Harry Giles, 22 ,6'11"
Zach Collins 22,6'11"
Nassir Little 20,6'5"
Gary Trent Jr, 21 ,6'5"
Anfernee Simons 21,6'3"

Cavs will have to break up the unworkable duo of Garland and Sexton and KPJ is a strike away from being let go. Windler and Okoro play the same position and they have no young bigs being counted on to play for them .......Not looking good

If you're going to troll at least don't make it so obvious.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Aside from lack of interest and uncertainty surrounding our current front court being factors as well as guards who score more than share
If this org is interested in leaving the tank mode it wont be until theyve proved they have a core worth joining that they can attract anything more than reclamation projects in fa.
If Exum can stay healthy he could be a factor as a passer and defender in the guard rotation and maybe thats that gap filled there anyway.
I mean i think nobody really wants to come to CLE for more reasons than current roster make up.
Still years away from contention
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#47 » by tleikheen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Exum has always shown an ability to score but he was brought up in the Jazz org to share and move the ball ,passing the ball in Cleveland means to never touch the ball again.
Sexton can score but it's unimpressive being a blinders on gunner on a bottom feeding team. It just breaks up the "team" ,having a player look for his own 1st .It will filter to KPJ to do the same.Is it too crazy to want to see Sexton ,Garland and Exum to have 6 assists plus a game.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Harry Giles, 22 ,6'11"
Zach Collins 22,6'11"
Nassir Little 20,6'5"
Gary Trent Jr, 21 ,6'5"
Anfernee Simons 21,6'3"

Honestly, Zach Collins is the only player on that list who has shown the potential to be an above average NBA player and he struggles to stay healthy. The Blazers young guys really underwhelmed last year which is why they had to move two firsts for Covington.

Cavs need to play Sexton and Garland separately. They also need to insist that the ball move.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#49 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Harry Giles, 22 ,6'11"
Zach Collins 22,6'11"
Nassir Little 20,6'5"
Gary Trent Jr, 21 ,6'5"
Anfernee Simons 21,6'3"

Honestly, Zach Collins is the only player on that list who has shown the potential to be an above average NBA player and he struggles to stay healthy. The Blazers young guys really underwhelmed last year which is why they had to move two firsts for Covington.

Cavs need to play Sexton and Garland separately. They also need to insist that the ball move.

right but Trent did have a solid showing in the bubble.
Little has been very unimpressive Giles is not that good Simons as good as he could be is still far away much in the same way as Garland skilled but not strong enough etc.
Collins has not even been that good since his rookie season imo.
I will take the collection of assets the Cavs have accumulated over Portlands any day even if neither team has a decent balance
that could play well together as constructed where certain members get pushed out.
The biggest challenge for Bickerstaff to start this season imo if they are rolling away from tanking is seeing if Sexton can be that lead guard or if they should just let him do what he already does best as the sixth. But that will be highly dependent on if DG can be that guy that can run the offense which they might have to fins out first. If DG fails Sexton gets the job and if DG succeeds Sexton plays the 6th man. Either way playing them together unless one or both are vastly improved defensively is not going to be effective as obviously anyone can see.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Harry Giles, 22 ,6'11"
Zach Collins 22,6'11"
Nassir Little 20,6'5"
Gary Trent Jr, 21 ,6'5"
Anfernee Simons 21,6'3"

Little has been very unimpressive Giles is not that good Simons as good as he could be is still far away much in the same way as Garland skilled but not strong enough etc.
I will take the collection of assets the Cavs have accumulated over Portlands any day even if neither team has a decent balance
that could play well together as constructed where certain members get pushed out.
The biggest challenge for Bickerstaff to start this season imo if they are rolling away from tanking is seeing if Sexton can be that lead guard or if they should just let him do what he already does best as the sixth. But that will be highly dependent on if DG can be that guy that can run the offense which they might have to fins out first. If DG fails Sexton gets the job and if DG succeeds Sexton plays the 6th man. Either way playing them together unless one or both are vastly improved defensively is not going to be effective as obviously anyone can see.
I'm fine with Sexton starting and Garland coming off the bench. In fact, I think that's what should happen. But if Sexton, in his third year, can't run an offense and make sure the ball moves, then it's time for Garland to get the rest of the season to see if he can put it together.

And, if after selecting them No. 8 and No. 5, respectively, neither of them can be at least replacement level point guards despite being provided ample opportunities, then some people in the front office need to start updating their resumes.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#51 » by Revenged25 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:03 pm

As much as I don't want to invite that family into the Cleveland Org and make a big drama, I think a defensive distributor like Lonzo would be an ideal fit next to Sexton. Let Sexton be the scoring machine he is and even get to guard similar sized PGs, while Lonzo runs the offense, guards the bigger SGs, and be the distributor that the offense needs.
ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#52 » by ToneLocc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Harry Giles, 22 ,6'11"
Zach Collins 22,6'11"
Nassir Little 20,6'5"
Gary Trent Jr, 21 ,6'5"
Anfernee Simons 21,6'3"

Agree with you and JBK. I’m a fan of Collins and Trent and think that they’re promising young players.

There can always be debates about “who’s better” or “who’s a more valuable asset”, but one thing I don’t see getting acknowledged very often is team context. Sexton and Garland are being asked to run the show while Collins and Trent get to play off of a superstar. Could you imagine how different Sexton would be viewed if he was putting up the same numbers on a playoff team?

Cleveland’s young core has a lot of promise IMO, but it’ll take time and a better roster to come to fruition. Until then, we can probably expect to hear that Sexton is trash and Garland is a bust lol
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:20 pm

ToneLocc wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Honestly, Zach Collins is the only player on that list who has shown the potential to be an above average NBA player and he struggles to stay healthy. The Blazers young guys really underwhelmed last year which is why they had to move two firsts for Covington.

Agree with you and JBK. I’m a fan of Collins and Trent and think that they’re promising young players.

There can always be debates about “who’s better” or “who’s a more valuable asset”, but one thing I don’t see getting acknowledged very often is team context. Sexton and Garland are being asked to run the show while Collins and Trent get to play off of a superstar. Could you imagine how different Sexton would be viewed if he was putting up the same numbers on a playoff team?

Cleveland’s young core has a lot of promise IMO, but it’ll take time and a better roster to come to fruition. Until then, we can probably expect to hear that Sexton is trash and Garland is a bust lol
This kind of assumes that the Cavs are bad despite Sexton's play versus Sexton's play perhaps being a contributing factor. I think he's a sixth man on a good team but I'm hoping he proves me wrong based on what we glimpsed at the end of last year. But year three on a rookie deal is the show me year for guards. Three assist combined with 17 FGAs per game isn't going to cut it going forward.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Hassan Whiteside on a one year deal?

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#55 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ToneLocc wrote:
Stillwater wrote:right but Trent did have a solid showing in the bubble.

This kind of assumes that the Cavs are bad despite Sexton's play versus Sexton's play perhaps being a contributing factor. I think he's a sixth man on a good team but I'm hoping he proves me wrong based on what we glimpsed at the end of last year. But year three on a rookie deal is the show me year for guards. Three assist combined with 17 FGAs per game isn't going to cut it going forward.

I agree about the show me year and tbh I think he has been showing everyone the trajectory he is on was well worth the investment and now its time for the next step where on the other hand the front office probably has the rushed feeling about DG in year 2 of: "Show me what we drafted you to be day 1 is now evident in year 2 as the injury and out of shape excuse are gone". Sexton was always a rare high ceiling development guard prospect who needed a lot of reps and film study that you take at the start of a rebuild and tbh most types like that with that much to learn never make it past their first contract which is more justification to be satisfied with Sexton as is or taking the next step which the latter of is far more likely. I think DG was supposed to come in a be a instant impact rookie at some level so the pressure on him is higher sooner but the general expectation probably could not be lower outside of CLE.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Saric is still out there. I'm not high on him, and I think he's restricted, but we're reaching the bottom of the barrel. Maybe at a number between the MLE and his Q.O.? I'm not even sure how I feel about that tbh.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#57 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:51 am

delete
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#58 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

McGee Traded to Cleveland (CLE) from Los Angeles (LAL) with future 2nd-round pick for TBD, Jordan Bell and Alfonzo McKinnie
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 am

I wish we didn't have to send out Bell in this but I prefer one year of McGee on his salary than two years of TT on his deal.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:13 am

We still haven't technically signed anyone.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers