ImageImageImage

2020 Preseason Speculation - Lineup battles underway

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - CP3 added...who's next? 

Post#3121 » by Adrao » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

thamadkant wrote:
Adrao wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
We are over the cap, but still have roster spots to fill. We still have the bi annual exception to use, and we can also sign anyone for the vet minimum.

PG: Paul, Payne, Okobo
SG: Booker, Carter, Alexander
SF: Bridges, Nader
PF: Cameron, Crowder
C: Ayton, Smith, Jones

13 players.

Saric?
Not confirmed yet as far as I know.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#3122 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Sure I'd be cool with Reggie. Bowser knows him from his time in Detroit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Could the Clippers and Suns do a double S&T : jackson for Baynes. Jackson gets more than the BAE

The big thing I am looking for from the guard spot is somebody that can score the ball if Booker is not on the floor. Or Paul too. So it would be Carter and Jackson And there will be nights that Jackson is "on" and that really helps the team.
It's possible I guess. Personally I don't view Reggie as all that good so I wouldn't pay him too much but as long as it's a 1 or 2 year deal then whatever.

We should just sign a guy to a 1 year deal or can roll with Paul/Payne/Carter/Okobo and Booker as another ball handler, because the 2021 is a solid year for PG free agents, some of which we can probably get with the MLE.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/ufa/point-guard/
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#3123 » by Revived » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Didn’t realize this but Hassan Whiteside averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks last season for the Blazers.

Yet he’s still a FA and nobody has much interest in him lol. He’s barely 30 yrs old and been very durable for 4 of the last 5 seasons.

It’s absolutely crazy how bigs are seen as completely worthless in today’s NBA unless they can hit 3s.

Gobert probably gonna get a vet min deal after his current contract at this rate.
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#3124 » by carey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:40 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Could the Clippers and Suns do a double S&T : jackson for Baynes. Jackson gets more than the BAE

The big thing I am looking for from the guard spot is somebody that can score the ball if Booker is not on the floor. Or Paul too. So it would be Carter and Jackson And there will be nights that Jackson is "on" and that really helps the team.
It's possible I guess. Personally I don't view Reggie as all that good so I wouldn't pay him too much but as long as it's a 1 or 2 year deal then whatever.

We should just sign a guy to a 1 year deal or can roll with Paul/Payne/Carter/Okobo and Booker as another ball handler, because the 2021 is a solid year for PG free agents, some of which we can probably get with the MLE.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/ufa/point-guard/

TJ is destined to be our back up PG some day.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#3125 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Barkley6 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I wouldn't rush to get to 15, there are some teams with some roster decisions and we could see some decent guys available in a week or two when things shake out.

That's where keeping the BAE can come in handy because you can slightly outbid the minimum and could be the difference in landing someone. This also applies to the buyout market later in the season.

Another BAE note is if dealing with a vet of 8+ years the BAE and vet minimum for more tenured guys is virtually the same.

With Okobo unless he just doesn't work hard or they haven't seen any improvement the past year there's really no reason to not roster him. You took a developmental PG and hes on a cheap contract so might as well continue to try to develop him.

I think there's a reason we traded Jerome and Lecque and held onto Okobo. I think there's enough there to craft an NBA rotation player, and I would like to see what Okobo can learn from CP3. Looking at PGs we've had making the transition from overseas to the NBA, Barbosa and Dragic both needed about 2 years to settle in and then became solid rotation guys. Maybe we can expect the same from Okobo.

Another solid point...people were not liking Dragic early and even the team gave up on him too early..same could happen here. Might take them longer to get acclimated coming from overseas.

He can be good taking it to the rim, sticking to his guy on D, and unless he makes a mistake and allows it to stay in his head, can maintain a good ast/to ratio..also can shoot. If he was making $4-5 million, or was an UFA like Melton and Carter would, and had interest from other teams, I'd think twice, but I do bet if he is cut, someone picks him up.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#3126 » by Fo-Real » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Boggles my mind with some of these dudes getting signed that Baynes hasn't gotten signed. There must be something going on in a preconceived backdoor sign and trade going on. His name hasn't even so much COME UP!! There is a known destination for him, maybe the George Hill stuff was true from the start. Sign and trade Baynes to mystery team, hill to Phx and assets to OKC.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#3127 » by thamadkant » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Revived wrote:Didn’t realize this but Hassan Whiteside averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks last season for the Blazers.

Yet he’s still a FA and nobody has much interest in him lol. He’s barely 30 yrs old and been very durable for 4 of the last 5 seasons.

It’s absolutely crazy how bigs are seen completely worthless in today’s NBA unless they can hit 3s.

Gobert probably gonna get a vet min deal after his current contract at this rate.

Whiteside is a stat padder though.
You'd think he would be defensive player or all defensive team with those numbers... But when you watch him he leaves his man open to chase blocks. He let's mid range shooters shoot so he can stay near the paint to grab rebounds.

He's a fantasy type player...

He is good if you are trying to stop a star post player from dominating down low. But if that player has range or some sort of mobility, Whiteside becomes a liability.

Drummond is the one who I think is under rated... Sure he's not worth 27 million. But on a defensive oriented team I think his advance defensive stats would improve more. He has quick hands, super strong... Absolutely elite rebounding percentages... Can protect the rim. However he gets caught in pick and rolls... So a team with good team defense that mask a bit of his weakness would help him tremendously.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#3128 » by Revived » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I wouldn't rush to get to 15, there are some teams with some roster decisions and we could see some decent guys available in a week or two when things shake out.

That's where keeping the BAE can come in handy because you can slightly outbid the minimum and could be the difference in landing someone. This also applies to the buyout market later in the season.

Another BAE note is if dealing with a vet of 8+ years the BAE and vet minimum for more tenured guys is virtually the same.

With Okobo unless he just doesn't work hard or they haven't seen any improvement the past year there's really no reason to not roster him. You took a developmental PG and hes on a cheap contract so might as well continue to try to develop him.

I think there's a reason we traded Jerome and Lecque and held onto Okobo. I think there's enough there to craft an NBA rotation player, and I would like to see what Okobo can learn from CP3. Looking at PGs we've had making the transition from overseas to the NBA, Barbosa and Dragic both needed about 2 years to settle in and then became solid rotation guys. Maybe we can expect the same from Okobo.

Another solid point...people were not liking Dragic early and even the team gave up on him too early..same could happen here. Might take them longer to get acclimated coming from overseas.

He can be good taking it to the rim, sticking to his guy on D, and unless he makes a mistake and allows it to stay in his head, can maintain a good ast/to ratio..also can shoot. If he was making $4-5 million, or was an UFA like Melton and Carter would, and had interest from other teams, I'd think twice, but I do bet if he is cut, someone picks him up.

I see the Spurs picking him up immediately and developing him into at least a rotational player.

I think Suns should’ve given him more opportunities to develop in the G league instead of wasting away on the Suns bench.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Post#3129 » by SuperSunsFan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm

can baynes defend an mobile small ball center like Davis? for teams with aspiration to win the championship don't they think they needed someone like Baynes to at least has some chance against the lakers?
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#3130 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#3131 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Love love this move!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3132 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#3133 » by NTB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Yesss nice move!
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#3134 » by darealjuice » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Niceeee good depth signing
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3135 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

His stats as a starter two years ago looked decent enough. He should be a serviceable backup for sure. Advanced stats don't look too good.

Is he an average defender at least?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#3136 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Moore's ability to play multiple positions really gives then nice insurance for injuries and also rotation flexibility.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#3137 » by bigfoot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

TODO LIST
1) Sign Saric
2) Find one more quality vet
3) One more noob on a two-way
4) Decide on Okobo or get another vet
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#3138 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Very nice if they didn't use the BAE. Let's them potentially use it either next week or in season on the buyout market where you can throw a little more at someone.

matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3139 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very nice if they didn't use the BAE. Let's them potentially use it either next week or in season on the buyout market where you can throw a little more at someone.

Wow that would be nice. More depth is always a good thing, especially if it's quality vets
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#3140 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Moore's ability to play multiple positions really gives then nice insurance for injuries and also rotation flexibility.

He is the typical player that I have seen playing tens of times but I can't remember how he plays at all.

Return to Phoenix Suns