Serving up big plates of Crow for Thanksgiving dinner at RealGM Cafe

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Serving up big plates of Crow for Thanksgiving dinner at RealGM Cafe 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:19 pm

I know im not alone in this but i did not see freddie mercury getting that kind of deal from anyone let alone charlotte who should be in full rebuild mode. Time for him to change his name to stash for cash
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,867

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Thought it would have taken the BAE to keep Melo. Anything else and he would ring chase, most likely with the Lakers.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#23 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm

loserX wrote:Mentioned this before a couple of times, but I'm getting an early helping a la Malik Beasley. Would have thought he'd be more likely to leave Minnesota outright than get a deal over the MLE, but nope, he got *sixty million* dollars. I was way wrong.

Thought Hayward was going to stay in Boston on a new deal for less money. But as Smitty is saying, whatever happened in 2018-19 must have really broken that Celtic team.

It is early and I am sure I will have plenty more chances to be wrong as the offseason continues :lol:

Right there with you on Beasley.
By far the biggest surprise for me. I thought he'd get little interest and offers especially after his arrest.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,867

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm

Thought Crowder would have stayed in Miami if all he could get was the MLE, especially after the contract the Heat gave Leonard.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#25 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:40 pm

No blackbird for me just yet I said the Pacers would not sign and trade for Hayward and that Turner would not be traded. I also said that the Bogdan Bog deal would not involve the Pacers so I'm just drinking the premium booze!
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,111

Post#26 » by giannis and 1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:32 am

I didn't think Bledsoe had as much negative value as most on this board believed, and I didn't think Jrue had as much value as most on this board did. I was wrong on both.

But even though the Bogdanovic thing got squandered, I was right that DDV had a lot of value.
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:03 am

giannis and 1 wrote:I didn't think Bledsoe had as much negative value as most on this board believed, and I didn't think Jrue had as much value as most on this board did. I was wrong on both.

But even though the Bogdanovic thing got squandered, I was right that DDV had a lot of value.

You're not at fault for the Bucks mistake. I think you were right on all points.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:47 am

jayjaysee wrote:Guess I’m the first at the Al Horford negative value table.

I’ll have a piece of the Hayward leaving Boston empty handed. And some OKC total rebuild or whatever magic Presti just did. And I guess some Malik, I thought he was questionably an MLE player before his legal issue..

Still hungry? GSW using their TPE is my biggest serving.. LAL got Dennis* but I thought they’d bulk out their roster. Didn’t lose anyone as good as Dennis was last year but lost a lot of mediocre and didn’t replace them (yet)

A lot more on the table still though, surely will have a second plate. But no crow about Dallas. We are very predictable. I didn’t think it should cost much to dump Wright, though I’m thinking it would have cost the same amount to dump Johnson and that’s why Dallas didn’t need to pay. But Detroit paying suggests he has positive-ish value. Or Detroit was still drunk...

I'm right behind you. I thought that Butler was too divisive, and that Philly would be better with Richardson/Horford instead of Butler. Clearly, quite wrong.

I thought Indy should pick up the 4th year option on TJ Leaf, and clearly, I could've saved myself a 2nd and frustration.

I was absolutely shocked that Miami got off of Waiters/Johnson for as little as they did.

I'm absolutely sure there's a lot more, but it's late and I can't think of any right now.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,260

Post#29 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm

I bought the Lamelo to Minnesota rumors really hard even though Edwards clearly has the highest upside in the draft (even if he's unlikely to reach it). IDK I didn't have strong feelings this year about what would happen. I guess I thought Golden State would look to move Wiggins and it doesn't seem like they did.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#30 » by Buzzard » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:27 am

I missed on Bertans, Harris, Grant to the Hawks. I thought for sure they would get one of them; possibly two. I did not see them getting Gallinari and possibly Bogdan.

Grant at 20 million a season, not in a million years.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,716

Post#31 » by gswhoops » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I've got some pretty big portions of crow to eat on the Warriors (1) drafting Wiseman and (2) using a substantial portion of the TPE.

Around the league, I'm another poster on record saying that I thought Beasley would play out the QO or take a one-year "prove it" deal. Would have put the odds of Rosas cutting bait completely as MUCH higher than him offering a $60M extension on day one of FA.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,666

Post#32 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:48 pm

I thought the Wizards would basically stand pat just signing some mediocre vets to fill out space and not make much difference.

*Stands outside window looking at all the happy people enjoying their warm tasty crow and possibly drooling a bit on another gnawing empty stomach*
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 pm

gswhoops wrote:I've got some pretty big portions of crow to eat on the Warriors (1) drafting Wiseman and (2) using a substantial portion of the TPE.

Around the league, I'm another poster on record saying that I thought Beasley would play out the QO or take a one-year "prove it" deal. Would have put the odds of Rosas cutting bait completely as MUCH higher than him offering a $60M extension on day one of FA.

Really have to wonder if there's something in that contract specifically allowing the voiding of it depending on if....etc.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,255

Post#34 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:34 pm

My biggest miss was probably the amount presti managed to get out of CP3... An expiring in Johnson, 14M TPE, 2022 phx 1st, 2021 GSW 1st and rubio whom was part of trading up to draft poku. Holy batman. that's a buffet level crow feast for all but the most homer thunder fans on this board.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#35 » by Sactowndog » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:46 pm

My biggest miss was thinking Vivek might have finally hired a competent GM. But then he lets Bogdan go for not even a TPE. Presti he is not.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,768

Post#36 » by BoogieTime » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:11 am

Sactowndog wrote:My biggest miss was thinking Vivek might have finally hired a competent GM. But then he lets Bogdan go for not even a TPE. Presti he is not.

I’m going to trust his expertise over yours. Jury hasn’t even begun deliberations on him

Bogdan is well paid and arguably has no place on this team going forward. Team is rebuilding and resetting, so it’s hard to see why a TPE would be of importance over trying to get one of Atlanta’s assets
Sactowndog

Post#37 » by Sactowndog » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:25 am

BoogieTime wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:My biggest miss was thinking Vivek might have finally hired a competent GM. But then he lets Bogdan go for not even a TPE. Presti he is not.

I’m going to trust his expertise over yours. Jury hasn’t even begun deliberations on him

Bogdan is well paid and arguably has no place on this team going forward. Team is rebuilding and resetting, so it’s hard to see why a TPE would be of importance over trying to get one of Atlanta’s assets

I’m not questioning his strategy. I’m questioning if he wasn’t going to sign Bogdan in that range, knowing the Hawks only had 19M left why not fold early and get a TPE?

TPE’s are valuable for extra flexibility. Ainge just gave up 2 seconds to get one. Atlanta would have been happy to do a sign and trade to avoid the poison pills with which they are now stuck. He claims he wants flexibility and he **** up a chance to increase it. He’s better than Vlade but not by much.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,768

Post#38 » by BoogieTime » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:42 am

Sactowndog wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I’m not questioning his strategy. I’m questioning if he wasn’t going to sign Bogdan in that range, knowing the Hawks only had 19M left why not fold early and get a TPE?

TPE’s are valuable for extra flexibility. Ainge just gave up 2 seconds to get one. Atlanta would have been happy to do a sign and trade to avoid the poison pills with which they are now stuck. He claims he wants flexibility and he **** up a chance to increase it. He’s better than Vlade but not by much.

How do you envision a TPE being used for Sacramento in the near future? I would rather him not fold and try to get one of the Hawks young players.

Celtics are in an entirely different place than the Kings
Sactowndog

Post#39 » by Sactowndog » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:47 am

BoogieTime wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

How do you envision a TPE being used for Sacramento in the near future? I would rather him not fold and try to get one of the Hawks young players.

Matching salaries can always be a challenge. The TPE gives you flexibility if the salaries don’t match so you don’t have to take another unwanted player. It could have been very useful if the Kings were trying to bring on a player for picks.
Sactowndog

Post#40 » by Sactowndog » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:51 am

BoogieTime wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

My preference would have been getting a young player also but clearly that option wasn’t on the table. You should have known you wouldn’t match, ask for a player, if you don’t get it come back with their counter even if it was nothing and get the TPE.

It was GM malpractice. Not at the level of Vlade’s trade to Philly but stupid nevertheless.

Return to Trades and Transactions