2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,353

Re: 2020 NBA Offseason Discussion 

Post#101 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:35 am

Dr Positivity wrote:If you're paying Hayward almost the same contract as he got last time when he a 27 year old 22/5/5 all-star who was the best player on a 50 W team vs 30 year old coming off years of injured or disappointing play... you probably made a mistake.

Ouch. Looked upon from that way it's even worse.

I like Hayward and hope he's successful, but it's so easy to imagine this becoming a millstone.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#102 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am

GSP wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:Amazingly, every good team got worse

More parity!

Blazers, Sixers, Bucks and Jazz got better for sure.

Utah +Favors and kept everyone else

Bucks went from Bledsoe to Jrue which is a massive jump and Bledsoe was just a bad fit with Giannis. Augustin is prolly better than Hill a wash at worst. Rolo doesnt really do much for the playoffs so i dont think its a big loss

Blazers +Roco and kept everyone else. I dont think theres much of a difference b/w going from Whiteside to Kanter if at all TBH

Sixers got rid of Horford who was redundant and a bad fit. +Danny, Seth and Dwight. Always made sense to have shooters/wings around Ben/Embiid and theyve done then along with a solid backup big. Maxey is one of the best Pg prospects too IMO

Mavs arguably depending on how u see Seth VS Josh fit.

I dont think Heat/Lakers/Raptors/Pacers got worse either but stayed relatively the same

I talked about upper echelon. I think Lakers got worse, Raps, Boston. Not high on the Bucs as well. Clips got marginally better
:reporter:
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#103 » by limbo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:44 pm

The Pelicans really just got Bledsoe and Steven Adams to play alongside a guy like Zion, lol. I can already see Zion fans crying in the comments.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#104 » by RCM88x » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 pm

This Atlanta team has some 2010 OKC vibes I think, definitely getting more outside help but they could make a splash this year and contend for a top 4 seed in the east.

If they don't make the playoffs there's gonna be a lot of concern, especially after disappointing last season.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#105 » by limbo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

RCM88x wrote:This Atlanta team has some 2010 OKC vibes I think, definitely getting more outside help but they could make a splash this year and contend for a top 4 seed in the east.

If they don't make the playoffs there's gonna be a lot of concern, especially after disappointing last season.

Top 4 is a ridiculous reach. If they are any higher than 7th seed i'd be very surprised.

Capela, Dunn and more games of Collins should help their defense a bit, but it's hard to have an above average defense with guys like Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Huerter, Bembry on the roster... Even Gallo is not a good defender, imo.

But it's hard to predict how much these young guys will be improve this year. Remember, they haven't played NBA basketball in 9 months.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#106 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Milwaukee bounced back with vet min deals. Good job
:reporter:
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#107 » by RCM88x » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 pm

limbo wrote:
RCM88x wrote:This Atlanta team has some 2010 OKC vibes I think, definitely getting more outside help but they could make a splash this year and contend for a top 4 seed in the east.

Top 4 is a ridiculous reach. If they are any higher than 7th seed i'd be very surprised.

Capela, Dunn and more games of Collins should help their defense a bit, but it's hard to have an above average defense with guys like Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Huerter, Bembry on the roster... Even Gallo is not a good defender, imo.

But it's hard to predict how much these young guys will be improve this year. Remember, they haven't played NBA basketball in 9 months.

I don't know, I think Milwaukee, Miami and Boston will be better, maybe Toronto. But if they win around 46-48 games in a shortened season I think that gives them a chance. Maybe 6ish is more realistic, but with all the weird variables who really knows.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#108 » by Dupp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Atlanta’s shooting is insane and their offense Should be really good. Gonna be a very interesting team.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#109 » by therealbig3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:47 pm

Where do we rank Bam? I'm honestly surprised some people think he's getting overpaid.

LeBron, Davis, Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Butler...not that I would necessarily rank him next, but is it crazy to say that he's in the conversation with anyone else outside of those 8? Ok, Curry if he's healthy, Durant if he returns to form...that's 10. After that, I think you have what, Paul, Tatum, Mitchell, Gobert, Lillard, Embiid, Caruso, guys like that? Why not Bam?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#110 » by eminence » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Where do we rank Bam? I'm honestly surprised some people think he's getting overpaid.

LeBron, Davis, Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Butler...not that I would necessarily rank him next, but is it crazy to say that he's in the conversation with anyone else outside of those 8? Ok, Curry if he's healthy, Durant if he returns to form...that's 10. After that, I think you have what, Tatum, Mitchell, Gobert, Lillard, Caruso, guys like that? Why not Bam?

Some name changes as ever, but nah, I don't think it's crazy to consider Bam a guy getting close to All-NBA status.
I bought a boat.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,844

Post#111 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:52 pm

eminence wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Where do we rank Bam? I'm honestly surprised some people think he's getting overpaid.

LeBron, Davis, Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Butler...not that I would necessarily rank him next, but is it crazy to say that he's in the conversation with anyone else outside of those 8? Ok, Curry if he's healthy, Durant if he returns to form...that's 10. After that, I think you have what, Tatum, Mitchell, Gobert, Lillard, Caruso, guys like that? Why not Bam?

Some name changes as ever, but nah, I don't think it's crazy to consider Bam a guy getting close to All-NBA status.

I mean bams on his third year and hes looking like 2015 AD without the jumper. Obviously key differences but he could be a DPOY level guy while being a strong offensive player given you dont overextend his role. Worth noting hisnplaymaking for a center is definately one of the better ones in the league, so (althouhh I dont watch rnough of them to know this for sure) you might not be able to blitz off of him in the short roll which is pretty big
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#112 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 pm

LeBron, Davis, Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Butler...not that I would necessarily rank him next, but is it crazy to say that he's in the conversation with anyone else outside of those 8? Ok, Curry if he's healthy, Durant if he returns to form...that's 10. After that, I think you have what, Tatum, Mitchell, Gobert, Lillard, Embiid, Caruso , guys like that? Why not Bam?

Ur meming right just making sure

I think u are but carusos market value prolly isnt even half of the max lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#113 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:55 pm

limbo wrote:The Pelicans really just got Bledsoe and Steven Adams to play alongside a guy like Zion, lol. I can already see Zion fans crying in the comments.

Thats me im zion fans

therealbig3
RealGM

Post#114 » by therealbig3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:56 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:

LeBron, Davis, Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Butler...not that I would necessarily rank him next, but is it crazy to say that he's in the conversation with anyone else outside of those 8? Ok, Curry if he's healthy, Durant if he returns to form...that's 10. After that, I think you have what, Tatum, Mitchell, Gobert, Lillard, Embiid, Caruso , guys like that? Why not Bam?

Caruso is the GOAT, shouldn’t have even listed him with mere mortals.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#115 » by therealbig3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:58 pm

eminence wrote:

Totally forgot about Paul and Embiid initially, threw them in there now, wasn’t meant to be a comprehensive list of guys on that tier though, just examples that Bam could be favorably compared to.

Who else would you add though?
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#116 » by ShotCreator » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:13 am

If Christian Wood is an MLE guy, Bam is horrifically overpaid.

Christian Wood is just the last of that all-NBA class of unique, non-traditional bigs like Draymond, Gobert, and Jokic that got slept on.

This isn’t a Whiteside situation, it’s much more like those 3 I mentioned.

Maxing Adebayo is a perfect way to guarantee you’ll never build a juggernaut or clear title favorite level team.

Now Ingram has just got the worst rookie deal —->max contract situation since Wiggins so there are levels to this but yuckity yuck yuck yuck at maxing fringe all-NBA guys like that.
Swinging for the fences.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#117 » by eminence » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:18 am

therealbig3 wrote:
eminence wrote:

Totally forgot about Paul and Embiid initially, threw them in there now, wasn’t meant to be a comprehensive list of guys on that tier though, just examples that Bam could be favorably compared to.

No orders

My top tier going into next season is (7):

Giannis, LeBron, AD, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Curry?

Next up (9):

Tatum, Butler, Embiid, Durant?, PG13, Jokic, Gobert, Lillard, Towns

Then I'd put Bam towards the top of the 3rd group (still not in order) (18):

Jrue, Middleton, Lowry, Siakam, Kemba, Sabonis, Bam, Simmons, Irving, Vucevic, Beal, Trae, Murray, Mitchell, Nurkic, CP3, Booker, Draymond
I bought a boat.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#118 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 am

A contract like Bam is paying him for what he's going to be as much as what he is now. He's on track to be perennial all-star based on his 3rd season play and apparent work ethic in my opinion.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#119 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 am

therealbig3 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

Caruso is the GOAT, shouldn’t have even listed him with mere mortals.

You didnt let me finish

Its double the max

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#120 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 am

eminence wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
eminence wrote:

No orders

My top tier going into next season is (7):

Giannis, LeBron, AD, Kawhi, Harden, Luka, Curry?

Next up (9):

Tatum, Butler, Embiid, Durant?, PG13, Jokic, Gobert, Lillard, Towns

Then I'd put Bam towards the top of the 3rd group (still not in order) (18):

Jrue, Middleton, Lowry, Siakam, Kemba, Sabonis, Bam, Simmons, Irving, Vucevic, Beal, Trae, Murray, Mitchell, Nurkic, CP3, Booker, Draymond

Why the question mark on curry? I get it for durant wi the injury hes coming off of

Return to Player Comparisons