Image ImageImage Image

The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall.

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Re: The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall. 

Post#1161 » by VolumePoster » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Indomitable wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
If they trade up ahead of you, to 3, then you get Ball. That's a win.

How is that a win? Thank goodness that didn't happen. That's exactly what the Bulls didn't need is a PG who can't shoot at all. Ball's shot mechanics look exactly like my 9 year old niece's. I would much rather have Pat Will than LeMelo Ball.

Stop insulting your niece :lol:

I really go back and forth between the two. Lamelo is literally a basketball genius with respect to dribbling, vision and passing, with elite size for position. Best in world type elite.

He also struggles shooting, doesn’t defend, and comes with work ethic concerns.

I could see AK having them very close and figuring to take whoever falls.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1162 » by Dresden » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm

VolumePoster wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
How is that a win? Thank goodness that didn't happen. That's exactly what the Bulls didn't need is a PG who can't shoot at all. Ball's shot mechanics look exactly like my 9 year old niece's. I would much rather have Pat Will than LeMelo Ball.

Stop insulting your niece :lol:

I really go back and forth between the two. Lamelo is literally a basketball genius with respect to dribbling, vision and passing, with elite size for position. Best in world type elite.

He also struggles shooting, doesn’t defend, and comes with work ethic concerns.

I could see AK having them very close and figuring to take whoever falls.

I'd wait to see what Ball can do against NBA competition before calling him a basketball genius. What are his credentials so far? The Lithuanian league and the Australian league?
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#1163 » by The Force. » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Bulls got a high ceiling prospect in a draft that's a complete crapshoot where guys in the 10-20 range could easily end up being better than high lottery picks.

Just be glad we didn't get Deni or Toppin, which is likely who GarPax would've taken.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#1164 » by MGB8 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:27 pm

I would have likely done 4 for 7 and 16 if offered - at 7 choosing between Deni, Hayes, Vassell and Halli and at 16 between Bey, Green, Poku and maybe some guys who went much later in McDaniels, Terry...

But I could understand a team basically falling in love with Williams, with both his high floor (~Corliss Williamson) and super high ceiling (~pre-injury Larry Johnson).
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#1165 » by chrispatrick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

fleet wrote:
chrispatrick wrote:
Indomitable wrote:Is that why he went 15

The surprise was that he fell that far. He was, incorrectly, expected to go earlier.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2011-extended-mock-draft/

14th^^^^^

But another I just checked has him 8th I believe
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/700602-2011-nba-mock-draft-definitive-full-two-round-post-draft-lottery-order-edition

Don't mean to nitpick, but that was a really outdated mock before the draft lottery and not representative of what was commonly mocked closer to draft, including almost all of the mocks that nbadraft.net put out later in the process.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,937
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1166 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall. 

Post#1167 » by 85Bears » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Does anyone know how Donovan used Gallinari? Is that a role P Will can fill?

Gallo looks like he had some freedom in the OKC offense.

https://youtu.be/U5Khz1Fou40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#1168 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm

85Bears wrote:Does anyone know how Donovan used Gallinari? Is that a role P Will can fill?

Gallo looks like he had some freedom in the OKC offense.

https://youtu.be/U5Khz1Fou40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They appear to be very different players, not sure if it matters how he used Gallo
petebraun0
Senior
And1: 210

Post#1169 » by petebraun0 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 pm

MGB8 wrote:I would have likely done 4 for 7 and 16 if offered - at 7 choosing between Deni, Hayes, Vassell and Halli and at 16 between Bey, Green, Poku and maybe some guys who went much later in McDaniels, Terry...

But I could understand a team basically falling in love with Williams, with both his high floor (~Corliss Williamson) and super high ceiling (~pre-injury Larry Johnson).

I totally agree with you. I would have loved a trade down to 7 and 16. I would take Halli to be our pt guard of the future, moving White to backup of the 1 and 2. Then, we could choose between Precious and Sadiq at 16 to play the 3, 4 and small ball 5.

Precious was considered to be the best athlete in the draft, and he was available at 16.

We could have had two major cornerstone pieces instead of just one. This was the draft to trade down in.
Even if both of those picks wound up as backups, they would have upgraded our overall talent and athleticism, and given us a great bench. Both would also compete with our starters, forcing them to up their games in order to not be replaced.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1170 » by Susan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 pm

It's a pickup game against NBA players but he looks like a 3 here.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#1171 » by kulaz3000 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:18 pm

I think in a perfect world, if the opportunities is there to trade down and still draft the player you want you do it, like what Boston did with Taytum, but it’s clear that the Bulls targeted Williams heavily and decided to just pick up, I can’t hate on that.

I read somewhere that the Pistons really liked him that they were wanting to get the no.3 from the Hornets to pick him there, so the Bulls were clearly not risking anything by trading down to lose their main.

Now it’s a matter of how much their confidence in the kid transpires. It’s going to be a process though, and I fully expect many to poo poo this selection all throughout his rookie season.
Why so serious?
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#1172 » by Butler4thewin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Susan wrote:

nice
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,509

Post#1173 » by DuckIII » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:29 pm

I’ll say this for the PW pick, it’s making for the most interesting player development project we’ve had in a very long time. He’s unusually young, largely unknown, and it appears the new FO “reached” for him due to holding an extremely high opinion of his versatility and ceiling. When you go a press conference and say your guy can play “1-5” on both offense and defense, you are selling some major hope. That’s franchise player type of talk.

Our more recent guys were “he’s the next guy on everyone’s board” picks and though young were much more known commodities, and the FO did not put huge expectations out there about their possible ceilings.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#1174 » by kodo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:I think in a perfect world, if the opportunities is there to trade down and still draft the player you want you do it, like what Boston did with Taytum, but it’s clear that the Bulls targeted Williams heavily and decided to just pick up, I can’t hate on that.

I read somewhere that the Pistons really liked him that they were wanting to get the no.3 from the Hornets to pick him there, so the Bulls were clearly not risking anything by trading down to lose their main.

Now it’s a matter of how much their confidence in the kid transpires. It’s going to be a process though, and I fully expect many to poo poo this selection all throughout his rookie season.

Agreed. The 3 most reliable sources, Givony, The Athletic, and The Ringer all said their sources said Detroit was targeting Williams. If a trade w/ Charlotte had gone through he almost certainly would have been in Detroit, but obviously MJ eventually preferred Lamelo over moving down.

So that leaves only 2 possible trade partners, moving down 1 with with CLE or down 2 with ATL. And moving down 1 or 2, how much can you reasonably ask for such a small move? This smells like the trade down for Tyrus, where the return was Khryapa. Certainly not a 1st rounder. So that leaves a 2nd rounder.

Cleveland didn't have a 2nd rounder. Hawks had #50. Is it worth #50 to trade down and possibly miss on the guy you want? #50 ended up being Skylar Mays, and I have no idea who that is.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#1175 » by BullsFTW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Susan wrote:

Judging by the videos, he looks to be the most talented SF in the draft, arguably overall.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1176 » by kulaz3000 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:44 pm

coldfish wrote:If you expand it to other picks, the number of disappointments is legion. IMO, AK hasn't earned the ability to select players like this and not get criticized.

I actually feel the opposite. I think he is in the PERFECT opportunity to take a gamble like Williams in a draft full of gambles and risks. Considering it's his first season, the team is clearly not complete or fully realised, why not start with going for a reach and hope to draft a diamond in the rough.

Let's be honest here, up and down the draft there just aren't any sure things, so what is considered a 'safe' player would have eventuated in drafting a player with plenty of holes in their game also, so why not take a chance in a draft class fileld with players who are all rather middling as far as potential goes?

He could very well be a disappointment, but I think when you factor in the lack of depth and clear star potential players in this draft, you take a chance and hope for the best.
Why so serious?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1177 » by kingkirk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:54 pm

cjbulls wrote:He was a late lottery level guy (obviously the Bulls and at least one other FO disagreed, so this is just my opinion). So you could have traded down and gotten two similar players from the Pistons. They had 7/16 and were desperate for Patrick Williams. And I'm not a big trade down fan, but if my plan is to take Patrick Williams then I should.

It was also reported that the Pistons were mandated to get in as many young players as possible, meaning keeping No. 7 and No. 16 was big for them, too.

You're assuming that trade existed. And if AK wanted Williams, he couldn't get him by trading down.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1178 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 am

Why so serious?
TheEndIsNigh
Junior
And1: 472

Post#1179 » by TheEndIsNigh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 am

I know it's exceedingly stupid, but I really like his name.

Patrick Williams is such a solid, hard hat lunch pail kind of name that sounds like it fits his character.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,981

Post#1180 » by Chi town » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:01 am

kulaz3000 wrote:

Kid is always talking about getting to work. Zach talks a lot about that too and we see how he’s done it and how he’s improved.

I like Dotson wearing #3 too. Just make those 3s bro

Return to Chicago Bulls