ImageImageImageImageImage

would you look to trade lowry?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,435

Re: would you look to trade lowry? 

Post#41 » by KrazyP » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:
Childs wrote:Losing Lowry would be so devastating to me, but if the Celtics traded Paul Pierce...

It's really a perfect example. Them making that trade is why they are where they are now

Not quite. The Celtics had become a 45-win-ish team and all their key pieces were old (Garnett, Allen, Pierce were 35-36). The only young guy on the roster was Rondo.

The Raps right now are probably still a 50+ win team and they have several core young guys - OG, Siakam, VanVleet, Powell. Lowry is the oldest guy on the roster and he's 2-3 younger than Pierce, Garnett, Allen were at the time.

I wouldnt be opposed to trading Lowry in the right deal but I wouldnt mind keeping him either. Quite often, young teams need a veteran lead guard to provide leadership, experience to guide younger players.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,989

Post#42 » by DelAbbot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm

What is more painful for raptors fans?

a) Trading Lowry away on our terms now or before the deadline?
or
b) Watching Lowry join Clippers (recruited by Kawhi) in 2021 on MLE like Serge just did?

We were champions in 2019, and we have lost Kawhi, Gasol, Ibaka, from that championship roster (not counting DGreen). We are definitely not contending for a long playoff run this coming season, so there is no point keeping a 34 yo star PG whose value is about to decline.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#43 » by alienchild » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm

When you suffer a setback, quitters show their face.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#44 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm

DelAbbot wrote:What is more painful for raptors fans?

a) Trading Lowry away on our terms now or before the deadline?
or
b) Watching Lowry join Clippers (recruited by Kawhi) in 2021 on MLE like Serge just did?

We were champions in 2019, and we have lost Kawhi, Gasol, Ibaka, from that championship roster. We are definitely not contending for a long playoff run this coming season, so no point keeping 34 yo star PG whose value is about to decline.
this!!! some people use common sense on here but these are the people this board usually try’s to discredit because they don’t fall in line with the popular opinions.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,885

Post#45 » by Tacoma » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I would go talk to Lowry and get a sense of where his head it at. If you could move him to a situation he's happy with, and we get some picks back, it's better than losing him for nothing.

Masai talked with DeRozan who then thought they had a "gentleman's agreement" before the Kawhi trade and he ended up hating Masai for it, including Lowry who refused to speak with Masai and the media until months later when he told ESPN he "felt betrayed" and "it's business."

And if in talking with Lowry, he says he'd be open to a trade but only to Team X, then what do you do? The reason for trading Lowry is to maximize you assets for the future, so why potentially have him limit your options by talking with him? You don't. If the right trade comes along, you pull the trigger. Lowry is right, it's business.

The goal in 2021 is to sign Giannis, so need to set up the team to be most attractive for him to want to sign. A 35 year old Lowry isn't going cut it. Asset management will be important to set up for next summer's FA signing period. Lowry is an UFA next year, so he can always sign back later to finish his career here, if he wants. An open invitation would surely be offered by Masai.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#46 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Tacoma wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:I would go talk to Lowry and get a sense of where his head it at. If you could move him to a situation he's happy with, and we get some picks back, it's better than losing him for nothing.

Masai talked with DeRozan who then thought they had a "gentleman's agreement" before the Kawhi trade and he ended up hating Masai for it, including Lowry who refused to speak with Masai and the media until months later when he told ESPN he "felt betrayed" and "it's business."

And if in talking with Lowry, he says he'd be open to a trade but only to Team X, then what do you do? The reason for trading Lowry is to maximize you assets for the future, so why potentially have him limit your options by talking with him? You don't. If the right trade comes along, you pull the trigger. Lowry is right, it's business.

The goal in 2021 is to sign Giannis, so need to set up the team to be most attractive for him to want to sign. A 35 year old Lowry isn't going cut it. Asset management will be important to set up for next summer's FA signing period. Lowry is an UFA next year, so he can always sign back later to finish his career here, if he wants. An open invitation would surely be offered by Masai.

Right but Lowry is a rental and DeRozan wasn't. It's easy for a player to sabotage their trade value by saying they wont re-sign, or having their agent leak their preferred destinations.

Don't get me wrong, I would trade Lowry to the highest bidder if I thought he was going to leave. I just don't think the bids will be appealing if he isn't willing to re-sign with whoever is trading for him.
Huffman
Senior
And1: 511

Post#47 » by Huffman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:23 pm

I would love to see Lowry traded to the Lakers just to mess with Ballmer and Uncle Dennis.

Realistically though, maybe Dallas would be interested.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#48 » by Mak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm

I would move Lowry to the Sixers only if he wanted to.

Lowry to Sixers
2 first round picks + Thybulle + Steven Adams to Toronto
Pelicans ???
4th team ???

This would have to be some kind of crazy 4 way trade possibly.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,158

Post#49 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:27 pm

you need to net the same thing Jrue or AD got in a trade, at least 2 FRP picks, if a team is desperate
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#50 » by SurgeIblocka » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm

I 100% believe Lowry will not re-sign with us and will ring chase in LA or Philly. Unless he signs an extension this year, We better trade him.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#51 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm not against it if it's for a monster haul.

However, no...I'm not looking to move him. We're still a good team in the east.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#52 » by Skeezo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

First, Lowry's legacy is secure with the Raptors, so there should be no need from the organization, fans, or Lowry to feel he is being done dirty, or that his number won't be hanging in the rafters at some point, if we do move on... Second, I would never move Lowry to a place he doesn't have a chance to win or would just loath going simply out of respect for what he has done. However, that is the length to which I am willing to work with him... If the Raps are tired of losing assets for nothing, and they feel its time to move on to the next iteration of Raps ball, they can. Lowry has earned the right to make 30m this year to play basketball... He has not earned the right to dictate what an organization does with its players... In Lowry's own words, "that's not my job."

In my opinion, with the Raps unable to compete for a Top 4 seed, playing in Tampa Bay for the season, a stacked draft in 2021, and no way of holding on to both a max-cap slot and resigning Lowry/Powell using their bird rights next year, then it is the perfect time to take a step back, grab some assets and begin the re-tool.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#53 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Losing ibaka changes everything .. from being a serious competitor we are now borderline 8th seed... unless masai pulls off a brilliant trade...
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#54 » by libertyYYZ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Childs wrote:Losing Lowry would be so devastating to me, but if the Celtics traded Paul Pierce...

If Lowry wants out, Raptors front office won't stand in his way. But he totally impacts winning, so no reason to move him along while he's still productive. If he leaves as a UFA, we have cap space that frees up. A 35-36 year old point guard isn't going to yield a whole lot in the trade market except around the trade window where you might be able to pry something extra from a win-now team with a championship aspiration.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#55 » by libertyYYZ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Losing ibaka changes everything .. from being a serious competitor we are now borderline 8th seed... unless masai pulls off a brilliant trade...

It definitely hurts depth, but the league keeps getting smaller and faster, so it might not be quite as devastating as losing both Ibaka and Gasol. We need at least one larger body to be competetive. Running guys like Siakim and OG at the 5 spot will wear those guys out, especially in the playoffs.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#56 » by Clay Davis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Losing ibaka changes everything .. from being a serious competitor we are now borderline 8th seed... unless masai pulls off a brilliant trade...
Can you do us all a favor and think before you post, or at least put more effort into your trolling? Maybe titrate your SSRIs? You're saying that losing Ibaka is more impactful for our record than losing Kawhi.

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
bumbleboy
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#57 » by bumbleboy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 pm

I like Lowry. A lot. But I wouldn't blame him if he wanted another chance at a championship and I wouldn't blame the Raptors for trading him. He was willing to sit out last year in order to get a better contract. Why, then, would it be wrong for the Raptors to trade him as is their right within the terms of that contract?

Because I'm old I can remember when Dr. J. was almost traded by the Sixers for young talent. Because of the public outcry the trade didn't go through; the Sixers were bad for years thereafter. There is nothing wrong with moving older players for younger ones in order to rebuild. It would be one thing if Lowry were dumped onto a losing team; it is quite another if he is traded to a contender for young talent/picks (win/win).
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#58 » by jimmy keys » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:14 am

Tacoma wrote:

Exactly. If you're going to trade, then trade him. **** his preferred destination. He's a free agent next year, he can choose where he wants to go then.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,496

Post#59 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:22 am

setting aside whether we should trade Lowry, is there anyone with an expiring contract that he can fetch in a trade that we actually would trade him for?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#60 » by JN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:24 am

Let's see how the beginning of the season plays out, but assuming it is very middling, I would be open to do it if Kyle Lowry was open to it as well.

Return to Toronto Raptors